Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Maritime Park multiplier working......1,500 new jobs in Pensacola since last June

+2
Hospital Bob
2seaoat
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

2seaoat

http://www.pnj.com/story/money/business/2014/07/22/scott-says-pensacola-jobs-created-since-last-june/13004963/

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The Maritime Park has been the best job creator in the city's history.
Don't let the racist naysayers try to tell you otherwise. That's what racists do.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob wrote:The Maritime Park has been the best job creator in the city's history.  
Don't let the racist naysayers try to tell you otherwise.  That's what racists do.

It's amazing, in another year or so I expect the number of park employees will pass Baptist Healthcare Foundation.

2seaoat

Jobs.....Jobs.....Jobs.......stunning growth.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The Maritime Park has created the largest jobs boom the city has ever seen.
Now the sons and daughters of Pensacolians will no longer have to go elsewhere to get good employment. Instead all those young people from Atlanta will be coming here to get the good jobs.

2seaoat

1,500 jobs.......downtown price appreciation, increased sale tax revenues, buildings being completed and increased leasehold revenue, multiply....multiply.....multiply.......those naysayers said it would not happen.....but then again for somebody not having a job.......1,500 of them is a huge deal, and the naysayers keeping chewing on a mouthful of whoop asz.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

And the creation of the Maritime Park is what did it all.  Without the Maritime Park none of those businesses would have opened downtown.
I drove up South Palafox last Saturday night at 11:30 PM. The sidewalks were filled with people at the bars and restaurants. Obviously all of those people were at the Maritime Park earlier and that's the only reason they came downtown.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

"The Pensacola metro area had 5,713 online job openings in June 2014, an increase of nine percent over the year, and 951 openings for STEM occupations, an increase of 22.7 percent over the year. STEM is an acronym for science, technology, engineering and mathematics, and these jobs are considered high wage and high skill."

Obviously all these jobs resulted from the creation of a Maritime Park.

2seaoat

Multipliers.....quality of life.......jobs added.....demand created.....economic expansion.....and more jobs.......just a mouthful of whoop asz.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Mr. Itchi would be so proud.

2seaoat

Mr. Itchi would be so proud.

I think he would be happy with jobs created, and the wild success of Maritime Park. It will only get better.

More minimum wage jobs I guess u r proud

2seaoat

1,500 jobs is huge. Naysayers will talk about that it is not enough, or that they are low paying jobs, but the last year of President Bush's Presidency we were shedding nationally 750k jobs a month. We have been in a huge hole, and with the success of Maritime Park the incubator and multipliers are in full effect as local employment is robust compared to similar sized towns which do not have the dynamics of the beach tourism and the natural assets which Pensacola has.........but heck, Maritime Park was going to have 900 people a game, and blah blah blah.....failure,.....and pending sky falling......... and instead the employment multiplier is working exactly as economist predicted.......stunning success, and instead of celebrating those who committed to the vision........there is negativity and sour grapes......too bad.....winning is fun.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I like the jobs even if they aren't middle class income producing jobs.
My dispute is with seaoat telling us it's a given that the establishment of the maritime park created all those jobs. Nobody has any evidence that those ball games have anything to do with it. Especially since South Palafox is equally busy on nights with or without the baseball. lol

All those service jobs related to South Palafox becoming a wall to wall strip of restaurants and night clubs developed as it's own entity. Not because people watch baseball and then go to South Palafox. It's not even the same crowd.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob wrote:I like the jobs even if they aren't middle class income producing jobs.  
My dispute is with seaoat telling us it's a given that the establishment of the maritime park created all those jobs.  Nobody has any evidence that those ball games have anything to do with it.  Especially since South Palafox is equally busy on nights with or without the baseball.  lol

All those service jobs related to South Palafox becoming a wall to wall strip of restaurants and night clubs developed as it's own entity.  Not because people watch baseball and then go to South Palafox.  It's not even the same crowd.

They are wonderful jobs.....waiting tables, bartenders, busing, dish-washing, and cooking.
It's just what the city leaders wanted a mixed media waterfront, filled with restaurants and bars.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

That's the only jobs we can get to any large degree, joani.
We are getting an occasional employer paying better wages but that's probably all we'll ever do regardless of the effort.
Mobile has a large port serving a major inland waterway and that gives it an advantage we can't match for industrial prospects.
Plus it has a state government which is willing to give away the store to get big employers. Scott is pro-business but he's not giving away the store to locate Hyundai in the panhandle like Alabama did for Montgomery.
So if the service jobs are all we can get then it's better than nothing.
We're not the only community who is faced with this.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob wrote:That's the only jobs we can get to any large degree,  joani.
We are getting an occasional employer paying better wages but that's probably all we'll ever do regardless of the effort.  
Mobile has a large port serving a major inland waterway and that gives it an advantage we can't match for industrial prospects.
Plus it has a state government which is willing to give away the store to get big employers.  Scott is pro-business but he's not giving away the store to locate Hyundai in the panhandle like Alabama did for Montgomery.  
So if the service jobs are all we can get then it's better than nothing.
We're not the only community who is faced with this.  

We have the capability of having a large functioning and profitable port like before...but the powers that be do not want one....they don't want the railroad tracks downtown either. And the powers that be are already rich, so why should they give a damn.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I don't know enough about the potential of our port to have any valid opinion.
But not being educated about that I don't really see the potential for growth.
It's limited to rail transportation because it has no inland waterway.
And the barge traffic traveling on the intracoastal goes right to the industries on the Escambia Bay and River so it's not needed for that.
It does ship out the windmills from GE,  but that's only because GE is located here.  Without more industry like that I don't see much value to this port and that kind of industry is not coming.
The coolest thing about the port now is it being the home base of Global 1200.  One of the most impressive manmade creations I have ever seen. But that thing dwarfs the whole downtown and the whole waterfront.  Not room for more of those.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob wrote:I don't know enough about the potential of our port to have any valid opinion.
But not being educated about that I don't really see the potential for growth.
It's limited to rail transportation because it has no inland waterway.
And the barge traffic traveling on the intracoastal goes right to the industries on the Escambia Bay and River so it's not needed for that.
It does ship out the windmills from GE,  but that's only because GE is located here.  Without more industry like that I don't see much value to this port and that kind of industry is not coming.
The coolest thing about the port now is it being the home base of Global 1200.  One of the most impressive manmade creations I have ever seen. But that thing dwarfs the whole downtown and the whole waterfront.  Not room for more of those.

The Pensacola Port was the largest port in the South Eastern U.S.

dumpcare

Bob wrote:I like the jobs even if they aren't middle class income producing jobs.  
My dispute is with seaoat telling us it's a given that the establishment of the maritime park created all those jobs.  Nobody has any evidence that those ball games have anything to do with it.  Especially since South Palafox is equally busy on nights with or without the baseball.  lol

All those service jobs related to South Palafox becoming a wall to wall strip of restaurants and night clubs developed as it's own entity.  Not because people watch baseball and then go to South Palafox.  It's not even the same crowd.

Although the park may have created a few jobs you cannot contribute this to the park. How many of these jobs are seasonal? Minimum wage?

I know a the owner of one of the older restaurants on Palafox and the games do not do much in the overall picture of their business. Special events such as Gallery night get's most of them through the summer, fall business starts picking back up, but the ball park bringing in all that business is hogwash. All downtown bar business is simply making new generation's of problem drinker's.

I agree with Pacedog on this one, the majority are minimum wage service jobs that come and go.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Joanimaroni wrote:

The Pensacola Port was the largest port in the South Eastern U.S.

With all due respect, Joani, if someone convinced you of that, he or she was full of baloney.
In the modern era, Pensacola has never ever been among the "largest" ports in the southeast let alone THE largest port.
Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, and Tampa have always dwarfed Pensacola when it comes to ports. Pensacola is not even in the ball park.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Our deep water port was appealing and could have continued to flourish. Hurricanes was one of the downfalls.

http://www.worldportsource.com/ports/review/USA_FL_Port_of_Pensacola_31.php

http://inweekly.net/article.asp?artID=5023

It's a natural port too... meaning there is a positive outflow that keeps it open.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Joanimaroni wrote:

Our deep water port was appealing and could have continued to flourish. Hurricanes was one of the downfalls.

http://www.worldportsource.com/ports/review/USA_FL_Port_of_Pensacola_31.php

http://inweekly.net/article.asp?artID=5023

Your statement was "The Pensacola Port was the largest port in the South Eastern U.S."

When exactly was Pensacola "the largest port in the south"? lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Right now, 19 of the top 50 busiest ports in the nation are located in the southeast. Pensacola is not even on the list. And that has been the case throughout your and my lifetime.

http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/rita.dot.gov.bts/files/publications/national_transportation_statistics/html/table_01_57.html

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum