Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chuck Hagel stresses US foreign policy shift from military might to diplomacy

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/01/chuck-hagel-us-foreign-policy-military-diplomacy

Chuck Hagel stresses US foreign policy shift from military might to diplomacy 34ed9c5a-55d2-488c-9742-3592758a9f0b-460x276

The US defence secretary, Chuck Hagel, on Saturday underscored the Obama administration's intention to shift the focus of its foreign policy away from military might toward diplomacy.

Speaking at the Munich security conference, Hagel said he and the secretary of state, John Kerry, "have both worked to restore balance to the relationship between American defence and diplomacy".

Hagel, in prepared remarks, stressed that the US was "moving off a 13-year war footing" as the war in Afghanistan winds down and as Washington seeks to avoid getting involved in additional military conflicts overseas.

Hagel's remarks echo those of President Barack Obama, who in his annual state of the union address this week said the US could not rely on its military power alone, promising to send US troops to fight overseas only when "truly necessary".

In recent years, the US has shown its eagerness to wind down the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, where the military dominated traditionally civilian-led activities such as development aid. US officials have also sought to avoid becoming involved in new on-the-ground military action in places like Syria and Libya.

"Foreign policy had become too militarised over the last decade or so," a senior US defence official said on condition of anonymity. "It's time for us to be in a supporting role when it comes to the execution of this country's foreign policy."..."

And I couldn't agree more...

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

And I couldn't agree more...

I always knew Hagel was the right choice to lead the DOD. He's smelled the smoke of the battlefield (Vietnam) and does not want U.S. soldiers dying in military folly all over the world.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

We've lost less men and women on battlefields Republicans created compared to Dem wars like Vietnam where 58k + were killed in less than 10 years.

Hagel is helping the CINC lower the battle readiness of this nation.

What's funny is that you Dems want to cut the budget militarily only so that they can spend money elsewhere.

It's not savings if you take from one part and give to another.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

PACEDOG#1 wrote:What's funny is that you Dems want to cut the budget militarily only so that they can spend money elsewhere.

In order to get away from deficit spending every aspect of government must be cut, to include the military.

They are cutting military only....that's the critical issue here. Cutting military and then adding back spending in another area equal to what was cut is not saving the nation money.

knothead

knothead

PACEDOG#1 wrote:It's not savings if you take from one part and give to another.

No peckerhead, it's called saving lives of American soldiers dying in god forsaken places for no good reason . . . . put a price on that and if you can let us all know but better than that let the families of our mutilated veterans and the widows know how you feel about extracting our nation from others' conflicts.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

knothead wrote:

No peckerhead,  it's called saving lives of American soldiers dying in god forsaken places for no good reason . . . . put a price on that and if you can let us all know but better than that let the families of our mutilated veterans and the widows know how you feel about extracting our nation from others' conflicts.

He wants more medals to hang over his left breast pocket. Me, I got teased when I got to my first squadron, because I didn't even rate a 'Firewatch Ribbon' (National Defense Medal). The VA calls the 16-year period between 1975 and 1991 the "Peacetime Era." It was the longest era of relative peace our nation has enjoyed since WWII. The only thing we had going was the Cold War, and the odd skirmish here and there. My military service occured in that period, and I think I came away with a Sea Service ribbon with three stars on it and a MUC with two stars.

knothead wrote:

No peckerhead, it's called saving lives of American soldiers dying in god forsaken places for no good reason . . . . put a price on that and if you can let us all know but better than that let the families of our mutilated veterans and the widows know how you feel about extracting our nation from others' conflicts.

This "peckerhead" has been across the pond more times than you can even imagine. I will soon be a disabled vet myself with some conditions that have come up related to my own service. How much service do you have Mr. Johnny Come Lately?

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
knothead wrote:

No peckerhead,  it's called saving lives of American soldiers dying in god forsaken places for no good reason . . . . put a price on that and if you can let us all know but better than that let the families of our mutilated veterans and the widows know how you feel about extracting our nation from others' conflicts.

He wants more medals to hang over his left breast pocket. Me, I got teased when I got to my first squadron, because I didn't even rate a 'Firewatch Ribbon' (National Defense Medal). The VA calls the 16-year period between 1975 and 1991 the "Peacetime Era." It was the longest era of relative peace our nation has enjoyed since WWII. The only thing we had going was the Cold War, and the odd skirmish here and there. My military service occured in that period, and I think I came away with a Sea Service ribbon with three stars on it and a MUC with two stars.

Chuck Hagel stresses US foreign policy shift from military might to diplomacy ThomasPaineprotectpeople

2seaoat

Mr. Markle is a thomas Paine fan?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum