Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My new pet peeves....see motorcycles and panther traffic

+3
TEOTWAWKI
Sal
2seaoat
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

The state of Florida must have spent a couple million to put up yellow signs with a black panther with the script under the sign panther traffic.  They are everywhere.   Now, I have driven thousands of miles and I have not seen one damn panther, and WTF is the sign for......like people are going to see a panther and say......hey there is no sign.....I am going to run it over.   I would like to have sat in the department of transportation meeting and listen whose brilliant idea this was.

I have been seeing these damn signs in the right of ways which say see motorcycles.....again....I would have paid admission to sit in that meeting to see who came up with the brilliant idea to put signs in rights of ways which distract a driver who reads "see motorcycles"......now my only wish would be to get the two committees who came up with these brilliant ideas and join forces  and start spending a couple more million on signs that say see panther motorcycle traffic with a yellow sign and a black panther on a black bike........I think people will really become aware.

I'm glad you have your recliner to keep you safe... try to ignore the risks others willingly take. Life is dangerous.

2seaoat

I'm glad you have your recliner to keep you safe... try to ignore the risks others willingly take. Life is dangerous.[b]

PANTHERS AND MOTORCYCLES.....take a walk on the wild side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Beal

I'm not far from you... if you have an interest anymore in testing your metal... I'd be glad to visit you.

We can negotiate terms... heads up is the ultimate test. I'd start the wager at whatever stake you desire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Karas

Seaoat quit whining, hell we protect beach nice here and that is a more stupid idea. I don't hear you bitching about that.

.I think people will really become aware.

LOL You are already aware. The program worked!! Now you always remember that Florida has Panthers and a lot of motorcycles. It is for the tourist, like you.

Sal

Sal

My pet peeve is the sign that says "NO LEFT TURN ON RED AFTER STOP".

WTF??

Were they paid by the letter??

Can you turn left on red if you don't stop??

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I hate SLOW DEAF CHILDREN...thump thump...but officer he wasn't deaf I was looking for deaf children and didn't see him.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:My pet peeve is the sign that says "NO LEFT TURN ON RED AFTER STOP".

WTF??

No left turn?

Markle

Markle

WTF??

Good you do not have to take your drivers test.

Where two, one way streets cross, just as you can turn right on red after coming to a stop, you can turn left after coming to a stop. UNLESS there is notice to the contrary. Thus your pet peeve is bogus and a necessary sign even though you don't like it.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Markle wrote:

WTF??

Good you do not have to take your drivers test.

Where two, one way streets cross, just as you can turn right on red after coming to a stop, you can turn left after coming to a stop.  UNLESS there is notice to the contrary.  Thus your pet peeve is bogus and a necessary sign even though you don't like it.

The interpretation of that law in Pensacola is you can run red lights to turn right. In my neighborhood, drivers have taken this a step further, to run stop signs when turning right.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

I've never seen either of those signs here in the panhandle.  Lots of motorcycle bumper stickers, but no signs.  However, I would think that a driver whose eyes are moving to look at such a sign and then look back at traffic is less of a risk than one who just stares straight ahead.  Motion induced blindness may be why car drivers don't see motorcycles.

http://blog.jafrum.com/2013/04/03/one-of-the-many-possible-reasons-car-drivers-do-not-see-motorcycles/

so seaoat hates the Fl panther... go figure.

you know oats, down here in the south its a danger at NIGHT to not be made aware that you might hit a panther or a gator, as they do cross the road looking for seaoats to eat.  Wink 

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

BirdyBack wrote:I've never seen either of those signs here in the panhandle.  Lots of motorcycle bumper stickers, but no signs.  However, I would think that a driver whose eyes are moving to look at such a sign and then look back at traffic is less of a risk than one who just stares straight ahead.  Motion induced blindness may be why car drivers don't see motorcycles.

http://blog.jafrum.com/2013/04/03/one-of-the-many-possible-reasons-car-drivers-do-not-see-motorcycles/

It's been my experience from dodging those left turners that it's usually a soccer mom doing her nails, texting or turned round yelling at the kids in the back seat...I watch everyone and I would say conservatively 50 % of the drivers I see are distracted by something. I know I am watching all those other people ..LOL.

Markle

Markle

BirdyBack wrote:I've never seen either of those signs here in the panhandle.  Lots of motorcycle bumper stickers, but no signs.  However, I would think that a driver whose eyes are moving to look at such a sign and then look back at traffic is less of a risk than one who just stares straight ahead.  Motion induced blindness may be why car drivers don't see motorcycles.

Very true. Many studies have shown that drivers are "looking" for another car, not a motorcycle. Thus, sometimes it doesn't register with the driver that there is motorcycle in their path.

We've had several fatal accidents involving motorcycles where the motorcyclist was legally standing still at a stop light or waiting for a turn signal.

Markle

Markle

TEOTWAWKI wrote:

It's been my experience from dodging those left turners that it's usually a soccer mom doing her nails, texting or turned round yelling at the kids in the back seat...I watch everyone and I would say conservatively 50 % of the drivers I see are distracted by something. I know I am watching all those other people ..LOL.

Soooo...you're distracted...MOST...of the time watching other drivers instead of their vehicle and where you're going.

The last motorcycle I owned was a kz900 in the early eighties... I was flying down a 2 lane hwy and got airborne...

I sold it a week later and never bought another... scared the shit outa me. I do have some quads tho for offroad.

Jake92

I turned left in front of a motorcycle on Michigan Ave once about 10 years ago.. I was on my way home from work and the car in front of me was reflecting the sunlight off of his back window directly into my eyes, at about the same time a car coming towards me was reflecting the sun off of his windshield into my eyes.. He was far enough away that I had more than enough time to make the turn.. I never saw the motorcycle coming.. Thank God he was able to brake and swerve to miss me..

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Markle wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Soooo...you're distracted...MOST...of the time watching other drivers instead of their vehicle and where you're going.

The part you missed was it was a joke...I ride like I am invisible and everyone wants to run me over. So yeah I am very careful.

2seaoat

I only rode as a young man as my brother raced dirt bikes and always had multiple bikes.  I am riding and a car rolls through a stop sign and I go into some yards, and still control the bike........but I screw up enough on my own, and that day I decided that I will not expose myself to other people's mistakes with such little margin for safety......had some fun off road, but when I left the house for college, the bikes were not available and never had an urge for off road again.

Last edited by 2seaoat on 1/19/2014, 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Markle

Markle

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Markle wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

The part you missed was it was a joke...I ride like I am invisible and everyone wants to run me over. So yeah I am very careful.

Only took you at your word.  Frequently jokes and sarcasm do not translate well to the written page as Hemingway could do and you "ain't" no Hemingway.

My husband rides and his most frequent complaint is drivers turning left in front of him. He swears they are looking right at him. I believe they may in fact be looking right through him. But I'm not gonna ride with him to test my theory. I don't ride with him, it scares the shit out of me just going around the block. I'd be the kind of passenger who would make him wreck, most likely in a curve.

My coworker was killed years ago riding a motorcycle. A young beautiful girl and mother of a 7 yr. old. She was turning into her driveway when a teenager in a truck hit her from behind . She died in her own front yard.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum