Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NFL and Bullying

+6
Sal
Nekochan
Joanimaroni
2seaoat
TEOTWAWKI
Wordslinger
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 10:27 am

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:I'm not so sure about my sanity while watching sports on TV. My grandkids get a kick out of me screaming, "get in the hole" , run run, get up get up, all while watching a quiet golf game. The 14 month old has plastic golf set....he yells, " get in the hole"  after each swing.
When I'm watching UK basketball on TV, my dog hides under the bed.

lol

27NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 10:33 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:I'm not so sure about my sanity while watching sports on TV. My grandkids get a kick out of me screaming, "get in the hole" , run run, get up get up, all while watching a quiet golf game. The 14 month old has plastic golf set....he yells, " get in the hole"  after each swing.
Most football fans would poke their eyes out before watching golf...LOL hey whatever rocks your boat...Laughing 
I'm an avid football, basketball, and golf fan. I rarely miss games my grandchildren are playing, sometimes it is necessary to run all over the park when we have 3 simultaneous games. I love to cheer them on and encourage them to push their abilities to the max.

28NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 10:36 am

Believe it or not there are objective standards of evaluation of clinical signs of depression, and over the years if you cannot figure out who those people are on this forum as evidenced by their posts, well needless to say it is not that difficult to simply read the words of those suffering from depression on this forum.

I have clinical depression. I am not under medication for it. I was at one time but I did not like the side effects and have not taken any meds for many years. Does having depression make me less of a person and invalidates anything I say? Maybe to you,it does. Your comments seem to reflect such a attitude. I could give a shit less about your amateurish attempts to analyze others. Grow up. Stop trying to marginalize others because of your own shortcomings.

29NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 10:38 am

2seaoat

Joanie and Sal, as much is this is difficult for me to say....you folks are normal well adjusted members of society who find pleasure and happiness in your lives. I may not agree with you regularly, but I am certain about one thing. Your mental health is not in question. Each of us can have a bad spell, and like our physical health our mental health can suffer a temporary setback, but clinical depression is objective. It is present on this forum and it has contributed to many conflicts which quite frankly become intense and irrational. Do I need a crystal ball to discover that this forum has intelligent and mentally healthy people.......no, their posts define the same. One indicator of the same is where people find pleasure and enjoyment watching sporting events and sharing socially their opinions of the same. Quite normal behavior which some cannot find pleasure.........not the only indicator of clinical depression, but certainly the body of other indicators on these forums would show a consistency in the hypothesis I have proposed.

30NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 10:39 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

I'd love to see that!

31NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 10:43 am

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Most football fans would poke their eyes out before watching golf...LOL hey whatever rocks your boat...Laughing 
I'm an avid football,  basketball, and golf fan. I rarely miss games my grandchildren are playing, sometimes it is necessary to run all over the park when we have 3 simultaneous games. I love to cheer them on and encourage them to push their abilities to the max.
It's kinda embarrassing, but for the first time, I actually got tossed out of a youth baseball game I was coaching a few weeks ago.

The umpires were just comically bad.

I was coaching first base, and we had a kid who was safe by nearly two steps called out.

I excoriated the ump pretty severely but without using any profanity.

The next inning I was still pissed, and when I walked out to first base I lobbed another really sarcastic barb his way.

That was all she wrote.

He'd had enough, and I was sent to watch the rest of the game from the bleachers.

We all had a good laugh about it after the game.

Embarassed 

32NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 10:47 am

2seaoat

I have clinical depression. I am not under medication for it. I was at one time but I did not like the side effects and have not taken any meds for many years. Does having depression make me less of a person and invalidates anything I say? Maybe to you,it does. Your comments seem to reflect such a attitude. I could give a shit less about your amateurish attempts to analyze others. Grow up. Stop trying to marginalize others because of your own shortcomings.

Mental illness is a disease. It is no different than the tumors on my liver which I neither want or can control. Every person in their life must face mental health issues. Whether it is a change in employment, a loss of a loved one, or abuse as a child, we are all not immune from moments of mental Illness. It is great that many find pleasure posting on a forum. I do. I find pleasure and happiness in many areas. I have been blessed with a loving framework of family and friends. However, the aging process and the realization of our mortality generally has older Americans facing mental health issues and particularly depression.

My wife's mother lived a full and happy life, but when her hands no longer worked, and she could barely move and at 90 a deep and clinical depression set in, she was put on prozac and her life found happiness and fullfillment again. There is no shame in mental illness, and if you think my observations are not seeking objective truth, then you are entitled to your opinion. However, happy well balanced people will enjoy watching their grandchildren playing in a baseball game, the sox playing in a game, or their favorite NFL team playing. when people become sullen and critical of normal healthy behavior, it is not those normal activities wherein the problem lies.

33NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 10:53 am

Nekochan

Nekochan

Ichi-san has posted about the joy he gets from watching his grandkids play and learn.  I think he's one of the most well adjusted members of this forum. What is a normal activity and enjoyment for one person isn't another's cup of tea but it doesn't mean that either person is mentally ill.

34NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 10:53 am

GOOD MORNING MR. SEAGOAT..!! DID WE SLEEP WELL LAST NIGHT??

35NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 10:55 am

Your projections of me are laughable .  But coming from a ill informed pseudo analyst, it is to be expected.

36NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 10:59 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:
I'm an avid football,  basketball, and golf fan. I rarely miss games my grandchildren are playing, sometimes it is necessary to run all over the park when we have 3 simultaneous games. I love to cheer them on and encourage them to push their abilities to the max.
It's kinda embarrassing, but for the first time, I actually got tossed out of a youth baseball game I was coaching a few weeks ago.

The umpires were just comically bad.

I was coaching first base, and we had a kid who was safe by nearly two steps called out.

I excoriated the ump pretty severely but without using any profanity.

The next inning I was still pissed, and when I walked out to first base I lobbed another really sarcastic barb his way.

That was all she wrote.

He'd had enough, and I was sent to watch the rest of the game from the bleachers.

We all had a good laugh about it after the game.

Embarassed 

cheers 

During a softball game I challenged the American Disabilities Act and eventually had a first base coach thrown out....she was in a wheelchair and obstructed play 3 times. She was doing it on purpose.

37NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 11:01 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PkrBum wrote:GOOD MORNING MR. SEAGOAT..!!  DID WE SLEEP WELL LAST NIGHT??
I think his electro-shock treatments are helping, Now if we could just get him to stop seeing Nazis everywhere...

NFL and Bullying - Page 2 ONE_FLEW_OVER_THE_CUCKOOS_NEST-103

38NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 11:02 am

Sal

Sal

Joanimaroni wrote:

During a softball game I challenged the American Disabilities Act and eventually had a first base coach thrown out....she was in a wheelchair and obstructed play 3 times.  She was doing it on purpose.

Hmmm ...

... I suggested that the umpire had impaired eyesight, and that he was quite possibly mentally disabled ...

... so kinda similar.

lol

39NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 11:05 am

2seaoat

GOOD MORNING MR. SEAGOAT..!! DID WE SLEEP WELL LAST NIGHT??

Like a baby, and bright eyed and busy tailed after meeting with a customer at 6:45 this morning.....and getting a check.......I did not stay up too late to watch the election results......they kinda were already known.....those destroy the government types.......they be gone. Sanity seems to be creeping back into our political lives. The future is good for America.

40NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 11:09 am

2seaoat

Hmmm ...

... I suggested that the umpire had impaired eyesight, and that he was quite possibly mentally disabled ...

... so kinda similar.

When I volunteered to ref youth basketball games and umpire youth baseball, I had a standard way of dealing with vocal parents who did not like my calls. I would call an official time out and walk up into the stands and in a loud voice explain that my eyesight is not very good and that only one ref in a basketball game gets blocked and cannot see all the plays, and that now it has been established that the particular fan had good vision would he care to help me ref, as I pulled an extra whistle out of my pocket. By the end of the basketball season for some strange reason I never heard a comment from a parent from the stands.

41NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 11:14 am

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:Hmmm ...

... so kinda similar.

When I volunteered to ref youth basketball games and umpire youth baseball, I had a standard way of dealing with vocal parents who did not like my calls.  I would call an official time out and walk up into the stands and in a loud voice explain that my eyesight is not very good and that only one ref in a basketball game gets blocked and cannot see all the plays, and that now it has been established that the particular fan had good vision would he care to help me ref, as I pulled an extra whistle out of my pocket.  By the end of the basketball season for some strange reason I never heard a comment from a parent from the stands.
Well, if they were volunteers, I'd hold my tongue.

But this is travel ball, and these umps are paid.

They are supposed to be trained and possess some modicum of professionalism.

These two were clowns.

42NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 11:15 am

2seaoat

I think his electro-shock treatments are helping, Now if we could just get him to stop seeing Nazis everywhere...

Hmmmm, I thought electro-shock treatments were for people who were depressed, and that responding to a nazi who was depressed........well I will be damned......that is the problem......all descent and moral people in America need to go into shock treatment to excise the evil and hate in our society......and to think I never realized that hate and prejudice is only in the reader of filth's mind. silly me.

43NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 11:18 am

I once got booted for lamenting that it was too bad the ump had forgotten his glasses and he was missing a good game.

44NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 11:21 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Sal wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

During a softball game I challenged the American Disabilities Act and eventually had a first base coach thrown out....she was in a wheelchair and obstructed play 3 times.  She was doing it on purpose.

Hmmm ...

... so kinda similar.

lol

I would call that an astute observation.

As a spectator for softball my co-mother in law and I sit together....we are referred to as the " talking rule book". We both played and she was an ump for years and I coached...we keep them on their toes.

45NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 11:26 am

2seaoat

I once got booted for lamenting that it was too bad the ump had forgotten his glasses and he was missing a good game.

I have wanted to ask you this. I played tennis for fun and once was in an indoor league for a couple of years. We would have ladder play and it was dedicated doubles. We made all our own calls, and as gentlemen never had any issues. Are you playing at the level where all matches are officiated, or do you make your own calls in competition?

46NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 11:51 am

2seaoat wrote:I once got booted for lamenting that it was too bad the ump had forgotten his glasses and he was missing a good game.

I have wanted to ask you this. I played tennis for fun and once was in an indoor league for a couple of years. We would have ladder play and it was dedicated doubles. We made all our own calls, and as gentlemen never had any issues. Are you playing at the level where all matches are officiated, or do you make your own calls in competition?
We make our own calls until the round of sixteen at national events for the most part. Sometimes the final at the sectional level are chaired too... but if there is an issue (which some players are known for even at a national level) either player may request a chaired ref. There are also roving refs that look for foot faults and such.

47NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 12:02 pm

2seaoat

We make our own calls until the round of sixteen at national events for the most part. Sometimes the final at the sectional level are chaired too... but if there is an issue (which some players are known for even at a national level) either player may request a chaired ref. There are also roving refs that look for foot faults and such.

I have never played in a chaired event, but I did have the pleasure of playing in Saltillo Mexico on some amazing clay courts where chairs were present on all courts. I loved playing on clay and actually had the same kind of fire my interest back up in tennis which led to the league play. I had a fatal flaw which a pro tried to break me of, but in eighth grade I broke both radi in my right wrist in a basketball game, and that spring I played Tennis with a cast on my right hand and played entirely with my left hand. After the cast was removed, I had trouble doing a standard backhand, and always had a tendency to switch and hit a normal backhand shot with my left hand. This seriously impaired my development of a powerful ground stroke backhand, and my left hand always tried to lob and guide the ball back over. Never could advance to a higher level game, but it did allow for some pretty amazing saves.

48NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 12:22 pm

I don't have a weapon on my backhand side either... except for my slice approach shot and good disguise to hit passing shots. I wish now that I had developed stronger ground strokes... they aren't bad... just not weapons. I relied too much on serve and volley and athleticism at the net. That doesn't translate well as I've gotten older and less flexible and fast. I missed the grass court 50 and over nationals this year because of low back probs... that's really the best surface that gives me a legitimate shot. It's still fun for me... and I can still play dubs w a chance to win those titles... but I'm becoming aggravated by physical limitations.

49NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 12:35 pm

2seaoat

I stopped my softball leagues and basketball leagues at about 51. It was getting longer and longer to recover, and my knees were sore for days after a game, and the hamstring problems in the softball just took the fun out of it. I go to Arizona and see folks who are seventy playing competitive softball, but my wheels have worn out and with the left lobe missing I struggle even with golf now.

50NFL and Bullying - Page 2 Empty Re: NFL and Bullying 11/6/2013, 12:43 pm

2seaoat wrote:I stopped my softball leagues and basketball leagues at about 51. It was getting longer and longer to recover, and my knees were sore for days after a game, and the hamstring problems in the softball just took the fun out of it. I go to Arizona and see folks who are seventy playing competitive softball, but my wheels have worn out and with the left lobe missing I struggle even with golf now.
You lasted longer at softball and b-ball than I did... but it was really that I had to choose one sport (besides fishing and hunting). Golf kills my back... I can barely finish a round anymore... and then suffer for at least a week. I only play once or twice a year now... badly I might add.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum