Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are We Sharing Too Much Online?

+4
TEOTWAWKI
2seaoat
Hospital Bob
ZVUGKTUBM
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Rolling Eyes 

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Federal Reserve Act Dec 23 1913
You are the spoiler! I am still going to post a rant about the Fed on my birthday

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

. wrote:Rolling Eyes 
Are we jealous? Can't help it if you ain't got it going on.

Dreamsglore wrote:
. wrote:Rolling Eyes 
Are we jealous? Can't help it if you ain't got it going on.
lol! 

FYI, just because my comment came after that doesn't mean I was responding to that, my roll eyes comment was to the thread in general.

But you keep on thinkin I aint got it going on, you just gave me the biggest LAUGH! Very Happy Very Happy 

Because

I GOT IT GOIN ON GIRL!!!!!!!!! I am POPULAR  tongue

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Great question, Z.

Until I came to the PNJ forum, everything I ever did online was under my own name. (It's not my name now, now that it matters.) I wasn't accustomed to anonymous forums. If someone has something to say, why not use his or her own name? Why hide? Is it really that terrifying to be be held accountable for your own words? And if so, why?

Then, I learned that several forum participants had family members they were trying to protect. That, I can understand. I am thinking of two, maybe three, specific cases. Those people, all elder folks like me, are trying to protect their children from any possible hoopla that could arise as a result of their expressed views. I get that.

I can also understand those posters who fear for their jobs if their posting hobby should become known. I was one of those for a time, but not any longer. I always said that retirement would bring me the freedom to speak out, and speak out I will do. I have felt tethered and gagged in that respect (at least in the local job arena) for decades, so the freedom to speak my mind is precious to me. I will not ever give it up again, to anyone or anything. There is simply too much at stake.

As far as discussing health issues is concerned:  If we get to the point at which insurance company people or government geeks are slouched over their computers, drinking their fourth cup of java and snooping in every forum they can find for info on the bad guys (the sick people), we are all doomed. Laughing They certainly aren't giving us much support (except for doubtingthomas), so we may as well support each other.

Marital issues? (I first typed that as "martial issues", which indeed they can be.) Well....it's easy for me to say I wouldn't come on here and slam my ex-spouse, but the truth is, I have. That's what he gets for idolizing Newt Gingrich, I suppose. I guess he's lucky I didn't provide his full name. Was it wise of me to mention him? Oh, probably not. I might not have mentioned him while we were going through that divorce, but again....I just might have. Twisted Evil 

The moral of all this is:  Don't post anything online that you don't want the whole world to know. If you're like me, a perennial bulldog who simply will NOT be silenced, you may not care, but if you are worried about your anonymity or you couldn't or wouldn't stand behind what you write if your words were the source for a feature article in the Wall Street Journal, then....don't post. It really is as simple as that.

Dreamsglore wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
bluemoon wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:They can also do what you did,Cat and google your username and find the same one and post a link to a story where a woman murdered her husband and insinuate it's you.
I don't know what the hell you are talking about.
What woman?  What husband?  You're making ASSumptions you can't back up.

That's the dangers of these forums where people think you are someone or think that you have a certain type of character, but they don't know anything about you at all.   You can come to trust them and give them info about yourself.  That's actually the only way personal information on any poster could come forward and be spread by other people. It has to originate with you yourself.

So in the long run, you only have yourself to blame for doing something your parents told you not to do- Never talk to strangers.
Why would you ASSume I was talking to you?

Brilliant, Dreams.   lol!
I thought so.LOL! She thinks we're stupid but it wasn't me who suspected at first it was her. After reading her posts though the evidence is clear.

As I said:
Your post was directly beneath mine.
You've already discussed your belief that I am  "Cat" on this forum.
I read the post where you discussed it.
Don't break your arm patting yourself on your back for your brilliance.

You are more than welcome to think I am anyone you have a psychological need to believe that I am. However, making accusations about me when they are  only based on your beliefs with no proof whatsoever only show your own ignorance.  My writing style, I hope, is  that of someone with an education. When writing styles become acceptable in a court of law for identification, I'll  have  some respect for your opinion of who I am.
Don't expect any responses to any accusations you might make against me based on your unwarranted opinion of who I am. You won't  get them. You'll just be disappointed in your expectations.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

bluemoon wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
bluemoon wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:They can also do what you did,Cat and google your username and find the same one and post a link to a story where a woman murdered her husband and insinuate it's you.

That's the dangers of these forums where people think you are someone or think that you have a certain type of character, but they don't know anything about you at all.   You can come to trust them and give them info about yourself.  That's actually the only way personal information on any poster could come forward and be spread by other people. It has to originate with you yourself.

So in the long run, you only have yourself to blame for doing something your parents told you not to do- Never talk to strangers.
I thought so.LOL! She thinks we're stupid but it wasn't me who suspected at first it was her. After reading her posts though the evidence is clear.

As I said:

You are more than welcome to think I am anyone you have a psychological need to believe that I am. However, making accusations about me when they are  only based on your beliefs with no proof whatsoever only show your own ignorance.  My writing style, I hope, is  that of someone with an education. When writing styles become acceptable in a court of law for identification, I'll  have  some respect for your opinion of who I am.
Don't expect any responses to any accusations you might make against me based on your unwarranted opinion of who I am. You won't  get them. You'll just be disappointed in your expectations.

Are you going to edit this post 7 times?

I'm with Dreams on this one. It is very difficult for someone to hide their writing style and their personality. You can't do it but you can continue your denial,  Cat.

Joanimaroni wrote:
bluemoon wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:
bluemoon wrote:

As I said:

Are you going to edit this post 7 times?

I'm with Dreams on this one. It is very difficult for someone to hide their writing style and their personality. You can't do it but you can continue your denial,  Cat.

Since you've called me cat repeatedly, I'll ASSume that answering this post where you call me that again won't just fortify your opinion that I am  this Cat. I will say this though, if her writing style is like mine then she obviously isn't  an idiot. As for editing a post, I do it often. However, you'll notice (from my post, if you read it  all) that my reasons for  editing  that one so many times was  because I was fooling with the icons above the edit  page to see how to add things to the post. I don't plan to try and change my writing style to hide my identity. I am bluemoon. This is my writing style. If you don't like it, complain to my English teachers. They taught me that writing properly was more important than speaking properly.  Speech doesn't linger. Print often does, though I doubt what's written on this little forum will either influence any opinions or linger very long.

I think any further protest would be overkill, so call me what you like and I won't bother to argue with you anymore. There's  a car race on that I want to watch, so  just keep on keeping  on with your day.

Nekochan

Nekochan

People share too much all the time. I am afraid that many of our young people don't even know what "privacy" means.

Markle

Markle

PBulldog2 wrote:Great question, Z.

Until I came to the PNJ forum, everything I ever did online was under my own name. (It's not my name now, now that it matters.) I wasn't accustomed to anonymous forums. If someone has something to say, why not use his or her own name? Why hide? Is it really that terrifying to be be held accountable for your own words? And if so, why?

Then, I learned that several forum participants had family members they were trying to protect. That, I can understand. I am thinking of two, maybe three, specific cases. Those people, all elder folks like me, are trying to protect their children from any possible hoopla that could arise as a result of their expressed views. I get that.

I can also understand those posters who fear for their jobs if their posting hobby should become known. I was one of those for a time, but not any longer. I always said that retirement would bring me the freedom to speak out, and speak out I will do. I have felt tethered and gagged in that respect (at least in the local job arena) for decades, so the freedom to speak my mind is precious to me. I will not ever give it up again, to anyone or anything. There is simply too much at stake.

As far as discussing health issues is concerned:  If we get to the point at which insurance company people or government geeks are slouched over their computers, drinking their fourth cup of java and snooping in every forum they can find for info on the bad guys (the sick people), we are all doomed. Laughing They certainly aren't giving us much support (except for doubtingthomas), so we may as well support each other.

Marital issues? (I first typed that as "martial issues", which indeed they can be.) Well....it's easy for me to say I wouldn't come on here and slam my ex-spouse, but the truth is, I have. That's what he gets for idolizing Newt Gingrich, I suppose. I guess he's lucky I didn't provide his full name. Was it wise of me to mention him? Oh, probably not. I might not have mentioned him while we were going through that divorce, but again....I just might have. Twisted Evil 

The moral of all this is:  Don't post anything online that you don't want the whole world to know. If you're like me, a perennial bulldog who simply will NOT be silenced, you may not care, but if you are worried about your anonymity or you couldn't or wouldn't stand behind what you write if your words were the source for a feature article in the Wall Street Journal, then....don't post. It really is as simple as that.
It isn't whether or not someone would stand behind what they write but rather the retaliation which could be taken by someone.  We all watch the current events more than the typical person so we know there are a lot of people who do some outrageous things seemingly with little or no provocation.  People get shot at or rammed in their cars for simply cutting someone off.

Are We Sharing Too Much Online? - Page 2 Th?id=H.4979693543033056&pid=1

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQoRXhS7vlU

Smile 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum