Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

If a Cat 5 hurricane hits Pcola, what will become of the Maritime Park?

4 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Maybe we dont really have a "Retention" pond. From Hoars Website

Midway through the project, our primary client, the City of Pensacola, changed from a city council to a mayor-led government. To meet our completion deadline (the deadline we guaranteed), we worked closely with the new mayor
and his team. Hoar leaders personally met with the mayor to establish a relationship and map out a plan to ensure deadlines would be met. Opening this line of communication helped to streamline the approval process and keep the project moving as scheduled. It didn’t, however, mean it would be easy. Just as work was scheduled to start on a retention pond, the client asked us to change the pond into a lake to give the park (and the community) an added feature. Even though changes always cause some anxiety, we liked this one. A lake would enhance the park and provide the community with an even better destination. The addition required a redesign of the site and the storm water system, but since we had already established good relationships, we were able to work seamlessly with the mayor’s office, our design and construction team and the state of Florida to increase the attractiveness of the park

Remember the original plans for a dry retention pond system consisted of large pipes placed under ground with dry area above them. This was "value engineered " out at a savings of 500,000 dollars.
http://www.hoarllc.com/feature/maritime-park.php#.UaspB0DVDh4

Markle

Markle

Damaged Beagle wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Oh really Mr expert....Fix the flooding at the island yet?

You keep telling us why Maritime Park is such a failure, and then you ask twice what the retention is for.......you have to be kidding. Expert.......no try anybody with half a wit who pulled a permit sometime in their life understands retention......but you have told us a great deal about your ability to understand this development...........you have done nothing in your life which interfaces with any type of development, yet you post complete nonsense about why this park has failed.....absolutely clueless......and the best part is that you think somebody has to be an expert to realize you are clueless.......come on....tell me it was a rhetorical question.......you were not really asking what they needed retention for.........

you were not really asking what they needed retention for.........

Yep, bad grammar and all, that's what he asked.

I no longer even have a dog in this card game, because I'v long since opposed ANY development in or around the obvious footprint of a storm like we're discussing.

I oppose ANY and ALL rebuilding in that cone of obvious hazard....period. If you lost it to a hurricane, I'm sorry, and if it's on a barrier island, it should not have been built in the first place. Dittos if it's built on the coastline down town. Zero tax dollars should EVER be spent rebuilding your shit....sorry.

And if that upsets you, I really don't give a rat's ass what you think.

Who is going to pay all the owners the market value for their property?

2seaoat wrote:Look at the Port, elevated higher, no retention pond & no flooding. Drainage goes right into the bay.

You really do not know.......where is Eric when we need him.......I am not going to say a word........because if you do not understand drainage and retention.....you sure as hell do not understand development......so yea....the wahoos have been losing some ball games.....oh boy.

Look dumb ass, there is a difference between a retention pond and a detention pond:

"A detention pond is a low lying area that is designed to temporarily hold a set amount of water while slowly draining to another location. They are more or less around for flood control when large amounts of rain could cause flash flooding if not dealt with properly."

"A water retention pond, on the other hand, retains water all the time. The pond level may go up and down, but ordinarily the pond has some water in it. So, if the pond is typically empty except during and shortly after rain or other precipitation, it is a detention pond. If the pond always has water in it, then it is a retention pond."

Die already ok.

Markle wrote:
Damaged Beagle wrote:
2seaoat wrote:Oh really Mr expert....Fix the flooding at the island yet?

You keep telling us why Maritime Park is such a failure, and then you ask twice what the retention is for.......you have to be kidding. Expert.......no try anybody with half a wit who pulled a permit sometime in their life understands retention......but you have told us a great deal about your ability to understand this development...........you have done nothing in your life which interfaces with any type of development, yet you post complete nonsense about why this park has failed.....absolutely clueless......and the best part is that you think somebody has to be an expert to realize you are clueless.......come on....tell me it was a rhetorical question.......you were not really asking what they needed retention for.........

you were not really asking what they needed retention for.........

Yep, bad grammar and all, that's what he asked.

I no longer even have a dog in this card game, because I'v long since opposed ANY development in or around the obvious footprint of a storm like we're discussing.

I oppose ANY and ALL rebuilding in that cone of obvious hazard....period. If you lost it to a hurricane, I'm sorry, and if it's on a barrier island, it should not have been built in the first place. Dittos if it's built on the coastline down town. Zero tax dollars should EVER be spent rebuilding your shit....sorry.

And if that upsets you, I really don't give a rat's ass what you think.

Who is going to pay all the owners the market value for their property?

I really don't give a shit if they are paid for "their property". A barrier island with shifting sands; who is gonna repay them if a hurricane takes "their property"....literally removes the sand from beneath their feet...?

I'm tired of our tax money being used to help idiots rebuild what should never have been built in the 1st place.

Besides, it's not "their property" anyway.

2seaoat

Die already ok.

Not quite yet......you provide as much entertainment as Dreams.....you have to go cut and paste the definitions of retention and detention, and you still do not have a clue why they are required and why the remediation on this property was so expensive. I will happily stick around and try to help you.....but this may be an insurmountable challenge.......it is not like you are starting from the average level of comprehension......but this is almost as entertaining as your investigatory attempt at trying to figure out the Fish House leasehold.......brilliant. The good old boyz must have stepped on your toes.......and now it is just too much fun to interact with your posts......did you drop some plates or something at the Fish House, and lose your job? Were you picking up cans in the old Maritime Park and those good old boyz busted up your gig? Come on Bp.....come clean.....I only have so much time..............

Ace Hardware has boat rope on sale next week...

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

One way to gauge the power of a category 5 hurricane is that it has sustained wind speeds of a minimal F4 tornado.
Except for two differences.
The eyewall which crosses land and has those wind speeds is not a mile wide like in a tornado, it will be like an F4 tornado which is approximately 5-15 miles in width.
And of course the other difference is the tornado has only wind to do it's damage. Not a 25 foot wall of water in addition to the wind.

Bob wrote:One way to gauge the power of a category 5 hurricane is that it has sustained wind speeds of a minimal F4 tornado.
Except for two differences.
The eyewall which crosses land and has those wind speeds is not a mile wide like in a tornado, it will be like an F4 tornado which is approximately 5-15 miles in width.
And of course the other difference is the tornado has only wind to do it's damage. Not a 25 foot wall of water in addition to the wind.

You are correct sir. Although several folk drowned in the recent spate of tornados.

Comparing a tornado to a hurricane is like comparing a nuk-ular bomb to a a nuk-ular torpedo.

It all get's blowed up real good.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum