Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I knew that sooner or later I would be in 100% lockstep agreement with Limbaugh on something.

+2
Nekochan
Hospital Bob
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:How does Chris Christie fit into your new paradigm?

He's a fat, unattractive, brusque bully, yet wildly popular.

And I bet we both could name literally dozens of attractive, polished candidates who flamed out.

Words, ideas, and policies still matter.

You, Rush, and CNN are making too much of an awkward sip of water.

It doesn't mean anything other than his speech was so boring it could be upstaged by a sip of water.

"How does Christie fit into this?"
I guess the best way to judge that is, if we were still in FDR's era his obesity wouldn't matter.
But since it's the new era and we see his obesity on the tube almost every day and we see dozens of tv talking heads constantly chattering about it, it probably will matter. Actually there's not much doubt about that.
If he has the "burning desire" to live in the White House the best thing he could do for himself is man up and slim down. I want to think if someone has the strength of character to get into the position he's in, he should have the same capacity to make the weight loss happen. I would imagine the latest round of national hoopla over it probably is having an effect on his psyche. And that should be able to help him do it.

"Words, ideas, and policies still matter. "
I think we're gonna have a strong disagreement about that. What I see is most of the political celebrities on the scene now only have the packaged, scripted ideas which often don't even reveal who they really are or what they really believe. Mainly just an adherence to the status quo of trying to appeal to either the "liberal" or the "conservative" and designed to get the vote of one or the other and whatever that has become is now so vague to me that it's becoming meaningless. And with that constantly being reinforced by the cable tv "news" media.
I see very very few really new ideas. The whole thing mostly just reminds me of a bunch of tv reruns. And sequel after sequel of the same tired old thing.

"You, Rush, and CNN are making too much of an awkward sip of water."

Rush didn't start this one (although at other times he can be the instigator for sure). The cable news channels just gave him the show material to run with.
And I would not have ever even been aware of it, let alone be talking about, had the cable tv news channels (and network news programming as well) not needed content to present between the commercials.
In fact that points to the really big change in tv news in the last decade or so. There is just so much tv now which is presenting and competing in the 24/7 "news/commentary" cycle that nekochan gets this one right when she says "80% of it is pure crap".

Last edited by Bob on 2/14/2013, 7:26 pm; edited 3 times in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Yella wrote:

Its probably just as well that your or I didn't haveto do Rubio's thing, Hell, We woulda been reachin' for a cold beer.

That may be the best comment I have read or heard about this whole insane episode, yella. lol
If he'd reached for a Miller he'd have damn sure gotten our vote. In fact if I see any politician have the balls to do that he gets my vote too. lol

Sal wrote:How does Chris Christie fit into your new paradigm?

He's a fat, unattractive, brusque bully, yet wildly popular.

And I bet we both could name literally dozens of attractive, polished candidates who flamed out.

Words, ideas, and policies still matter.

You, Rush, and CNN are making too much of an awkward sip of water.

It doesn't mean anything other than his speech was so boring it could be upstaged by a sip of water.

I like him. Don't think I'd want him as POTUS, but if he ran for the Gov. here I'd consider him regardless of party.

Then again, he is rather overweight.

Naahhhh.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

W_T_M wrote:

I like him.

me too. and so does joisey. A recent rutgers/eagleton poll gave him a 73% overall job approval rating. Almost unheard of in politics nowadays.

That "new era" media I've been talking about obviously can cut both ways.
On the one hand it can really spotlight his weight problem. But on the other hand it also gives his personality,demeanor,ideas, leadership qualities/etc. a helluva lot of exposure in new jersey and nationally.
And obviously in his case overall it's to his benefit.
And while most of that popularity results from the public being starved for plain talking political personalities, it also has to do with his ability to bring the different political factions together and get things accomplished (at least at the state level). Something almost totally lacking in Washington.

Bob wrote:
W_T_M wrote:

I like him.

me too. and so does joisey. A recent rutgers/eagleton poll gave him a 73% overall job approval rating. Almost unheard of in politics nowadays.

That "new era" media I've been talking about obviously can cut both ways.
On the one hand it can really spotlight his weight problem. But on the other hand it also gives his personality,demeanor,ideas, leadership qualities/etc. a helluva lot of exposure in new jersey and nationally.
And obviously in his case overall it's to his benefit.
And while most of that popularity results from the public being starved for plain talking political personalities, it also has to do with his ability to bring the different political factions together and get things accomplished (at least at the state level). Something almost totally lacking in Washington.

People are different in NJ. They get in your face and totally lack any diplomacy. Christie would never make it here besides the fact he will never be President due to his weight and social skills. People equate obesity w/ a lack of self control. Not good qualities for a President.

NaNook

NaNook

Perhaps the Hispanic population will see the news as picking on one of their own. You know, bullys........how appropriate...

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

NaNook wrote:Perhaps the Hispanic population will see the news as picking on one of their own. You know, bullys........how appropriate...

That's an excellent point. If it had been Obama and Fox News had made a big deal out of it (which it would have) I'm sure all that would have accomplished is to rally African Americans in support of Obama.
All over somebody taking a goddamn drink of water. Jesus if he'd picked his nose on camera, Blitzer would probably be asking his guests "should Rubio be brought up on charges?"
It's all so insane.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nekochan wrote:-most Americans are not even thinking yet about who will run in 2016.

That's another excellent point. The election is barely over and they're now already starting the next one. And that's not in any way an exaggeration. The Cable news talking heads are now devoting oodles of time to the next one.
I've said this before and I'll say it again. The now four year long elections are a bonanza for these talking head tv outfits. It provides them with so much cheap easy content. Rather than filling that time with anything meaningful, all they have to do is assemble the usual suspect panel of talking heads and wind them up and turn them on and they'll talk about the next horse race ad nauseum. It takes no imagination, no journalism skills, no nothing except a chronic case of diarrea of the mouth.

I donno... When Obama said Martin looked like his fictitious son I thght it would be offensive to Hispanics.

The elections are gonna be more like reality shows..

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:I donno... When Obama said Martin looked like his fictitious son I thght it would be offensive to Hispanics.

This entire conversatIon is starting to sound like a bunch of Panhandler crackers explaining why n**gers and wetbacks are too stupid to be allowed to vote.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum