Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Five Injured In Accidental Gun Show Shootings On ‘Gun Appreciation Day’

+2
Watcher
Sal
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sal

Sal

Karma ...

As gun rights activists celebrated the turnout at gun shows for national Gun Appreciation Day Saturday, police responded to at least three accidental shootings that left five people injured at shows across the country.

• In Indianapolis, a man shot himself when his gun went off outside a gun show. From WISH-TV:

A person who was loading a gun outside of the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife Show at the State Fairgrounds was accidentally shot when his gun discharged Saturday afternoon. ... The man, identified as Emory L. Cozee, 54, was walking back to his car, was loading his .45 caliber semi-automatic and accidentally shot himself in the hand, [police said.]

• In Raleigh, N.C., three people were injured when a shotgun went off at a gun show there. From the News & Observer:

A 12-gauge shotgun discharged shortly after 1 p.m. as its owner unzipped its case on a table for a security officer to check it at a security entrance at the Dixie Gun & Knife Show, according to Joel Keith, police chief of the state Agriculture Department. Keith said birdshot pellets hit Janet Hoover, 54, of Benson, in the right torso; Linwood Hester, 50, of Durham, in the right hand; and Jake Alderman, a retired Wake County sheriff’s deputy from Wake Forest, in the left hand. Hoover and Hester were taken to WakeMed, but officials said their injuries did not appear to be life-threatening.

• In Ohio, a dealer at a gun show accidentally fired a gun, induring one. From WJW-TV:

Jim Conrad, event organizer, said there were about 200 people there at the time, and they heard one gun shot. Conrad said a visitor to the event had handed an exhibitor his gun to look at. It apparently was loaded, and while the exhibitor was looking at the gun, it accidentally went off, hitting another man in the arm.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/five-accidental-shootings-at-gun-shows-mark-gun

Watcher

Watcher

Wasn't someone on here claiming that people don't get shot or hurt at gun shows?

2seaoat

Gun safety must be stressed....it is getting insane. I heard on the radio, some folks were target shooting with automatic weapons and thought by putting their targets low the shots would be absorbed in the ground. A subdivision up the hill was getting shells entering their homes with one woman taking a bullet to her microwave.........safety......does not mean taking folks guns away....it means training and weeding out those who cannot understand basic safety concepts.

Jake92

Just shows there are always a few idiots walking around with loaded guns.. There are many many more people shot in convience stores than in gun shows..

2seaoat

Just shows there are always a few idiots walking around with loaded guns.. There are many many more people shot in convience stores than in gun shows..

Gee thanks...I was getting this warm and fuzzy feeling like guns were the solution.....and then you remind me about stopping to get gas and some crackerjacks......I could get shot....thanks.

Jake92

The biggest thing in ACCIDENTAL shootings is poor or no safety training or the safety rules just haven't been followed, but just like in traffic accidents, everybody could be following the safety rules and there are still accidents..

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I been concealed carrying for 9 years and nuttin..no accidental holes in anything...although where we changed the guard on the ASROC deck there were quite a few holes in the overhead of the guard station where sleepy men got the transfer procedure out of order and let the slide forward with a magazine installed....

Jake92

We had a Marine gate guard get shot when him and his partner played quick draw after taking the magazines out.. Yes, he was killed by a 45 round to the chest.. That was in 74-75 in Yuma, AZ..

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Jake92 wrote:We had a Marine gate guard get shot when him and his partner played quick draw after taking the magazines out.. Yes, he was killed by a 45 round to the chest.. That was in 74-75 in Yuma, AZ..

"Playing" is the key word..you don't play with rattlesnakes or 45s....

Jake92

I bought a 45 from Carlos Hathcock in Quantico, VA in 72. Carlos was the range supervisor and wouldn't let me touch it until HE cleared it and then made sure I double checked it.. I have always double checked every gun I've touched even before that since my father was a gunners mate in WWII and always stressed safety first..

2seaoat

I bought a 45 from Carlos Hathcock in Quantico, VA in 72. Carlos was the range supervisor and wouldn't let me touch it until HE cleared it and then made sure I double checked it.. I have always double checked every gun I've touched even before that since my father was a gunners mate in WWII and always stressed safety first..

That is what is so screwed up with the talk of gun safety today....folks who know nothing about guns are making rules they do not understand, and knowledgeable people who know weapons and the importance of safety are silenced by the gun merchants who make the discussion off limits. We need folks who know and understand guns leading the way for better safety.....until then....folks are going to die.

Jake92

A lot of them are taught how to shoot an animal or target, but the safety part is never taught because daddy never knew the safety first and always parts to begin with..

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Why is it that people who fiddle with their guns seem to have accidental discharges? One of my former employers had to issue an edict that no guns were to be brought to its campus, because certain employees couldn't help themselves at lunchtime and would go out and fiddle with the guns they kept in their POVs, showing off the weapons to other employees. This company was headquartered in Tennessee, so there was no "guns at work" law to keep employers from banning employee personal weapons on their property. My employer made it a firing offense to bring a weapon on their property, even if the possessor was licensed to carry it.

Before the outright ban on bringing personal weapons on company property, I know of at least two accidental discharges that happened on job sites from employees fiddling with or showing off their weapons. Luckily, only someone's thumb was shot off and no fatalities occurred from these incidents.

Last edited by ZVUGKTUBM on 1/19/2013, 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Watcher wrote:Wasn't someone on here claiming that people don't get shot or hurt at gun shows?

No, we claimed that massacres don't happen at gun shows.

Sal's post just shows how careless people can get with weapons. Happens in the military from time to time as well.

I'll probably be buying another weapon towards the first of the month. I can buy as an out of state buyer here in this state.

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Why is it that people who fiddle with their guns seem to have accidental discharges? .

You fiddle with something long enough, eventually you'll get a discharge. Wink

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

So THAT'S why that keeps happening !

Watcher

Watcher

PACEDOG#1 wrote:I'll probably be buying another weapon towards the first of the month. I can buy as an out of state buyer here in this state.

Impressive.

Watcher

Watcher

In December of 2012, in Hopkinsville, Kentucky two men were wounded in the parking lot of a gun show. “One of the men had purchased a 9mm Highpoint and had attempted to load it when the weapon discharged for some reason. The bullet went through the man’s hand and struck the other man in the buttocks,” police said.

In October of 2012, in Tupelo, MS both a four year old child and a patron of a gun show were injured when a bullet went through the wall.

In June of 2011, in Mount Clemens, MI a female customer at the monthly gun show accidentally fired a gun not realizing it was loaded. The 64 year old owner of the gun then inspected the gun and fired it again. Two women and a child were injured by bullet fragments.

In February of 2011, in Bloomington, IL a man was handling a loaded gun at a vendor booth…he fired it once sending a bullet through one man’s chest and into another. A third person was injured diving for cover.

Also in February 2011, in Gray, Tennessee, outside of the Johnson City, Tri-cities area a man was wounded in the leg while trying to attach a newly purchased laser for his 9mm.

In 2008 an eight year old was killed while shooting an UZI at a gun show, live fire exhibition in Massachusetts. He did so while being “supervised” by a 15 year old, while his father watched and while the Chief of Police who ran the show was “away”.

They were all events in which gun enthusiasts, those folks who we are constantly told are “part of the 99% of gun owners who are safe, legal and responsible. All but one took place under managed supervision, meaning that a proactive safety check had been in place; either checking and disarming weapons at the door or by requiring vendors to only have unloaded weapons.

And most important, all of these events were declared “accidental…no charges will be filed.” That phrase repeated from story to story. Nobody held responsible for the safe handling of firearms…no incentive to demand a safer environment.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/01/19/three-shot-in-gun-show-accident/

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/25/justice/new-york-empire-state-shooting/index.html

New York (CNN) -- On a busy Friday morning in Manhattan, nine pedestrians suffered bullet or fragment wounds after police unleashed a hail of gunfire at a man wielding a .45 caliber pistol who had just killed a former co-worker.

The officers unloaded 16 rounds in the shadow of the Empire State Building at a disgruntled former apparel designer, killing him after he engaged in a gunbattle with police, authorities said.

Yeah leave accidents to the professionals !

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum