Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Orlando Area Garden Under Fire From City

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Nekochan

Nekochan

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/College-Park-couple-says-front-yard-vegetable-garden-is-under-fire-again/-/1637132/18035884/-/png2kpz/-/index.html

2seaoat

This is the kind of crap which simply drives me crazy. Until 1918 this country did not have zoning laws.....we did just fine. Now we have plan commissions and staff who will sit around a table and tell you how you will use your property. I wanted to develop a campground in Santa Rosa County. I would sit in the room with staff and they would tell me that I had to blacktop this and do that......I said I wanted a simple wilderness camp....I did not want to change the land at all.....10 people sat around that table telling me all the things why I could not let people come to a simple fish camp and put their boats in and enjoy the river and camp. I had the proper zoning on top of everything.....but after listening three times to staff, telling me which engineers I should call I realized that I could never use my property like I wanted to......I had posted pictures of Northern Mn, and all I wanted is a simple wilderness camp where folks could connect to nature....not a bunch of RVs packed next to each other.

The Courts have simply not protected our 5th and 14th amendment rights to our property without undue interference from bureaucrats. I finally had enough on another property where I have said enough when they came after me on a portable bathroom trailer which they did not like......I told them to F off......see you in court....nothing worse than going to battle with somebody who literally does not care anymore......a dying man is a dangerous man.....I have made one staff member cry like a baby in a meeting when I stood up and talked about how far this country has descended, and how unnecessary all this local government types have become.....they allowed the man to rebuild his garage after a fire after they were telling him that he could not rebuild.....people wanted to applaud....we are taking this abuse from government and it only takes a handful of people to challenge them.....not with guns.....but common sense and tenacity.......I will win in court.....but I have given up on Santa Rosa County.....it has so many people in their development department bumping into each other and so few projects that anybody who wants to use their property will face a bumble bee activity because they need to justify their existence.....fire the whole damn department, and then fire everybody who is telling these folks they cannot grow a garden in their yard.....fire em all, and if they will not.....elect people who will.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Some Florida State parks have primitive camping areas. If the State of Florida can operate one, why can't you? It makes no sense and it's just wrong!

Nekochan

Nekochan

The more I think about it, the madder it makes me. A simple camp to enjoy nature. It's a beautiful idea. I like my comforts and I'm not into camping out, but what a beautiful idea for people who just want to spend some quiet time enjoying nature.

Those people who blocked your idea are just dumbasses, Seaoat. That's all I can say about them.

Makes me mad that a homeowner is told that he cannot grow vegetables in his front yard too.

2seaoat

Some Florida State parks have primitive camping areas. If the State of Florida can operate one, why can't you? It makes no sense and it's just wrong!

They wanted paved camping parking.....they wanted improvements to each site.....they had restrictions they wanted to impose on how they accessed the road.....they wanted me to create water detention and a drainage plan.....I had these beautiful oaks and trees, and they want me to change what God created, so some engineers and planners could justify their existence......I have seen this nonsense for 30 years now....and it keeps getting worse.....SRIA wanting to recommend what color you paint your home.....it just has gone too far.......small business cannot survive in the mesh of regulation at the local level. I simply wanted to let folks camp at designated fire rings and set up their RV or tent however they wanted to do it........nope they wanted a paved parking area of a certain size, they wanted a paved parking lot for so many cars for so many campsites......I just looked around the room....and honestly I would never hire one of the folks who were telling me how I "should" use the property. This country's cities and towns were built prior to 1918 without these damn folks sitting around tables telling us how we need to use our property.

It has gotten so bad in Pensacola, that they want to tell you what you can or cannot do with your trees. I understand the preservation of Oaks....but if the City wants my Oak preserved, simply purchase the development rights on my property. Nope......they just make regulations, and when you want to put an addition on a building and you have a heritage tree.....you go through a nightmare of more red tape.....it simply has gone too far.

Look at the logic of Milton and Pensacola.....the central districts were planned and built 100 years before zoning.....and I think they did a damn good job without the government planning our communities. Now we have these cookie cutter subdivisions and strip malls.....all thank you to the planning folks who pull a pay check from government and think they know how to use your property.

2seaoat

Those people who blocked your idea are just dumbasses, Seaoat. That's all I can say about them.

I had put the property up for sale....the problem is that with commercial zoning this beautiful property has the zoning for 80 plus housing units, so you know what will happen in a few years....I will be dead and gone....and more blacktop and cookie cutter plans by the roundtable of wisdom.

I simply wanted a place where people could enjoy boating, draw tourists off 10, and enjoy family time without blacktop and rvs piled up next to each other calling the same camping. We have also gone completely crazy with our preservations of wetlands. I am 3 hours outside of Chicago now to make treatment easier, and I am hearing from farmers who put in drain tiles in the 1900-1910 era to drain their rich and fertile low lands, but if some wetland plants pop up on farms they have been farming for 100 years.....they are having a difficult time getting permit to repair tiles and laterals. We are feeding the world, and the folks who cannot engineer a levy in NO are telling farmers they cannot take equipment into a delineated wetland.......it is rapidly becoming impossible to live in this country without becoming a criminal. We simply need common sense. Farmers need to keep their tiles functioning, and the Army Corps can stick the nonsense coming out of Congress up their azs.

Nekochan

Nekochan

I hate the cookie cutter subdivisions. Even up into the 70s, subdivisions had different types of homes and some developers at least tried to preserve some of the nicer trees. But not anymore. They cut down all the trees and put big houses that all look the same, on little lots with no trees. And then they plant little stumpy stubs to meet the zoning requirements that require that they plant trees. HATE, HATE, HATE it!

There was a new Hardee's built here in Huntsville about a year ago. It was on a lot with several really nice old trees. I believe that they could have saved one or two of the trees that were on the edges of the lot without giving up much or any parking space. When the sign went up that they were going to build a Hardee's there, my husband said--they will cut down every one of those great trees. And he was right. That's exactly what they did. Every one of them. And they put in some shrubs when they built the Hardees. Now, this is not the city or county's fault, I know. I don't think Hardee's was told that they had to cut down ALL the trees. It's the developer. What is wrong with developers today that they don't even try to save nice trees, even when it would fit in nicely with their building plans? I just don't get it.

Nekochan

Nekochan

I believe in preserving land. I believe in having national and state parks. I believe in having wild areas and protected areas.

If the city or state or federal government wants to tell a farmer that he cannot plant crops on land that his granddaddy planted on, they ought to be ready to write out a check to that farmer for a reasonable and fair amount.

2seaoat

They never write out a check....they just constructively take the farmers land when they do not allow the permit to fix the laterals and tiles.....the land reverts back to a wetland....10 acres which was producing 2000 bushels of corn lay fallow, and people are starving.....it is insanity.....but I too want to preserve wetlands....but 100 plus years farming with tiles.....insanity.

You are part of the progressive collective comrade... shut up and do as you are commanded.

2seaoat

You are part of the progressive collective comrade... shut up and do as you are commanded.

Nope.....not a person sitting at the roundtable of wisdom was a progressive. When you attach a negative connotation to the word progressive....it is silly.....the most conservative of governments can have unreasonable restrictions which are stupid. Was it progressives which stopped kids from attending schools because of their skin color? Silly misuse of concepts. No government can be progressive or reactionary, but when the regulations and rules are no longer just or logical.....they need to go away.

boards of FL

boards of FL

MLS# 424800

Been trying to sell it for roughly 8 months now but there is simply no interest. No one wants land in Santa Rosa county at the moment. Will probably just end up taking it off the market and waiting a decade or so.

This makes me so mad I could just spit. I am not at all a fan of large expanses of lawn that are (to me) just big wastes of water. When we moved to the Pensacola area the house we bought was surrounded by nothing but lawn and some hideous, manicured shrubs (probably a lot like Hardee's, Neko). We yanked out the shrubs and carved-out huge pieces of the lawn and put in native plants, herbs and a few veggies. I can't even imagine what I would do if this ever happened to me.

The video in the linked article wouldn't work for me so I searched for pictures just to confirm my suspicions that they did not have a "messy" front yard. They don't. It's cute!

The Battlefront in the Front Yard
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/20/garden/gardeners-fight-with-neighbors-and-city-hall-over-their-lawns.html?pagewanted=all&dur=102&_r=0

Photo:
http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2012/12/20/garden/20GARDEN2.html

Philosophical rant warning...

The problem, as I see it, is 1) overcrowding, and 2) political representation.

1) When this country was founded, most folks had acreage and may not have seen their neighbor for days. Because of the large spaces between folks, the actions of your neighbor did not affect you. What he did in the middle of his 20 acres was his business and that business was rarely seen by outsiders. Now that we're urbanized, your neighbor's actions less than a stone's throw from you DO affect you and your property values. Whiney people complain and bitch, which leads to number two on my list.

2) We elect representatives on the local, state and federal level to pass laws that satisfy our needs and desires. Sometimes, the elected officials listen and actually pass laws to pacify their constituents. Most of these laws take away our freedom to do something. It isn't going to get better folks...

2seaoat

Been trying to sell it for roughly 8 months now but there is simply no interest. No one wants land in Santa Rosa county at the moment. Will probably just end up taking it off the market and waiting a decade or so.

reality which is going to only get worse when the new Secretary of Defense starts base reductions......it is going to be time for Chicago style retribution.....folks who made the most noise about needing cutbacks.....they are going to get cutbacks......I will be able to sell properties in Santa Rosa County.....well....it will not be me.......but it will be over a decade.....when the BRAC promised 20k never came....well the die was cast.

Nekochan

Nekochan

riceme wrote:This makes me so mad I could just spit. I am not at all a fan of large expanses of lawn that are (to me) just big wastes of water. When we moved to the Pensacola area the house we bought was surrounded by nothing but lawn and some hideous, manicured shrubs (probably a lot like Hardee's, Neko). We yanked out the shrubs and carved-out huge pieces of the lawn and put in native plants, herbs and a few veggies. I can't even imagine what I would do if this ever happened to me.

The video in the linked article wouldn't work for me so I searched for pictures just to confirm my suspicions that they did not have a "messy" front yard. They don't. It's cute!

The Battlefront in the Front Yard
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/20/garden/gardeners-fight-with-neighbors-and-city-hall-over-their-lawns.html?pagewanted=all&dur=102&_r=0

Photo:
http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2012/12/20/garden/20GARDEN2.html

Riceme, you are like my husband. He takes care of our yard. We do not own a lawn mower. Our yard has rocks and trees and shrubs, but not grass. The previous owner put a sprinkler system throughout the yard, but hubby doesn't use it. If it rains, the yard is watered. If it doesn't rain, it isn't. He doesn't use pesticides. When he planted and took care of our little patio veggie garden this past summer, he didn't use pesticides on the plants. When some kind of bug was eating the leaves on one of the vegetable plants, he sprayed the plant with water mixed with a little dish detergent. It must have worked because the bugs stopped eating the leaves. He did water the veggies on a regular basis, but not the rest of the yard. The veggies were beautiful and delicious.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Boards, if you're not living in the house, can you keep it rented? If you can afford to keep it and keep it rented, you might be better off waiting 5 or 10+ years to sell. You are young and have time to wait.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Nekochan wrote:Boards, if you're not living in the house, can you keep it rented? If you can afford to keep it and keep it rented, you might be better off waiting 5 or 10+ years to sell. You are young and have time to wait.

It's not a house. That's the problem. A house would be fairly easy to sell. This is 13+ acres of land. When I listed, I had to base the price on other comparable listings because there were no recent sales. In fact, my realtor told me that no land had sold in the area in over a year prior to my listing.

Nekochan wrote:

Riceme, you are like my husband. He takes care of our yard. We do not own a lawn mower. Our yard has rocks and trees and shrubs, but not grass. The previous owner put a sprinkler system throughout the yard, but hubby doesn't use it. If it rains, the yard is watered. If it doesn't rain, it isn't. He doesn't use pesticides. When he planted and took care of our little patio veggie garden this past summer, he didn't use pesticides on the plants. When some kind of bug was eating the leaves on one of the vegetable plants, he sprayed the plant with water mixed with a little dish detergent. It must have worked because the bugs stopped eating the leaves. He did water the veggies on a regular basis, but not the rest of the yard. The veggies were beautiful and delicious.

I agree... that does sound like me. I also use a spray bottle of water with a little dish detergent to keep bugs from eating my food. We have a terrible invasive species here called Star Thistle that's toxic to horses, and I have sprayed for that (you pretty much have to), but not anywhere near my food. I remember seeing pictures of your yard a year ago maybe (??), and thinking we had similar tastes in landscaping... I like it to look natural.

Man, the more I think about the article you posted the more ticked off I get. People are jerks.

Nekochan

Nekochan

boards of FL wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Boards, if you're not living in the house, can you keep it rented? If you can afford to keep it and keep it rented, you might be better off waiting 5 or 10+ years to sell. You are young and have time to wait.

It's not a house. That's the problem. A house would be fairly easy to sell. This is 13+ acres of land. When I listed, I had to base the price on other comparable listings because there were no recent sales. In fact, my realtor told me that no land had sold in the area in over a year prior to my listing.

Oh OK. I think I remember you were also selling a house?

If you plant pecan trees or such on the land, will you get a property tax break?

Nekochan wrote:Riceme, you are like my husband. He takes care of our yard. We do not own a lawn mower. Our yard has rocks and trees and shrubs, but not grass.

I like the Xeriscape concept... using indigenous plants that don't need water. I have seen a local Pensacola plant used for shrubbery that both looks good and offers a bit of protection from bugs. I remember seeing it at a McDonald's. It is the Southern wax myrtle (Myrica cerifera). I had fleas in a garage I was renting and I came home to about 10 bushels of wax myrtle branches in the garage... my next door neighbor did me a "favor".

Orlando Area Garden Under Fire From City Wax_my10

Yomama wrote:
I like the Xeriscape concept... using indigenous plants that don't need water. I have seen a local Pensacola plant used for shrubbery that both looks good and offers a bit of protection from bugs. I remember seeing it at a McDonald's. It is the Southern wax myrtle (Myrica cerifera). I had fleas in a garage I was renting and I came home to about 10 bushels of wax myrtle branches in the garage... my next door neighbor did me a "favor".

What a nice neighbor. tee hee

I am big on xeriscaping, especially here. I've got lots of yarrow, sage (hell, I have about an acre and a half of sage! lol), lavender,... stuff like that. If they're mature you hardly ever need to water at all. I have tons of giant old Engleman Oaks, a few species of pine, and one Giant Sequoia on the property, so lots of opportunity for partial shade during the summer.

That reminds me... When I first moved to the Pensacola area it seemed so wet, rainy and humid all the time that I was completely shocked when someone told me that it was actually a period of drought.

What a Face

Sal

Sal

Yomama wrote:

Orlando Area Garden Under Fire From City Wax_my10

What's the ground-cover in that pic?

Nekochan

Nekochan

riceme wrote:
Nekochan wrote:

I agree... that does sound like me. I also use a spray bottle of water with a little dish detergent to keep bugs from eating my food. We have a terrible invasive species here called Star Thistle that's toxic to horses, and I have sprayed for that (you pretty much have to), but not anywhere near my food. I remember seeing pictures of your yard a year ago maybe (??), and thinking we had similar tastes in landscaping... I like it to look natural.

Man, the more I think about the article you posted the more ticked off I get. People are jerks.

I know. It makes me mad every time I think about it. An organic vegetable garden is an eyesore? Meanwhile, we are told "green" this and "green" that is the way to do things. Good grief!

I have to give the previous owners credit for the landscaping. Hubby hasn't done that much in the yard since we bought the house. When we first saw the inside of the house, we both really liked it. And then we got to the back of the house and saw the sun room. It's large-- something like 30x14--and at that point, I loved the house. Meanwhile, hubby was looking out the windows at the back yard and liking what he saw. Actually, our trip and mission in Huntsville at the time was to look at a 5 acre lot to buy and build on. But I had also told the real estate agent that we wanted to look at some existing homes. For several reasons, this house changed our minds about building a house. We could never build a new house for the price we bought this one.

View of one end of the sunroom. Out the sliding glass door is the side yard. On the other end of the sunroom, there is another sliding glass door to the patio. In the picture, you can see the front of the wood stove. When I first saw it, I thought it was ugly and we'd never use it and that it was a big eyesore in the middle of the room. I was thinking that if we bought the house, I'd get rid of it. But I have changed my mind...this time of year, I love it.
Orlando Area Garden Under Fire From City Sunroo10

The back yard, right outside the sun room, in the summer. It's a jungle, lol.
Orlando Area Garden Under Fire From City Back_y12

it pisses me off to no end for someone to tell me I cant have a garden.

I live in a very strict neighborhood, theres a zone for everything. But really, there is a difference of having a garden than a bunch of garbage. This area is not very home owner associationish. So really they are just being an ass. perhaps this person has a neighbor who is a asshole who is after them.

And, No I could not have a garden like that in my front yard. But I did plant some veggies along the side of my house last year, no one said anything. perhaps they didnt because they didnt grow good. Sad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum