Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How many guns ya got....?

+9
Joanimaroni
Hospital Bob
no stress
boards of FL
Floridatexan
Sal
TEOTWAWKI
2seaoat
Captn Kaoz
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

26How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 6:48 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!
SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE to.
SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!

Aside from the fact that correlation is not the same as causality, the number of privately owned guns per-capita in the US is twice that of Switzerland.

27How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 7:07 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

[quote="alecto"]
Bob wrote:

Why are we talking about banning assault rifles and high capacity clips when it appears pistols were used for this massacre.
All I know is the talking points I'm hearing so far are specifying "assault rifles" and "high capacity clips".
It may be because they don't feel confident enough to go after semi-automatic handguns. OR that the eventual bills will include handguns themselves in some form but they aint sayin it now. Dunno.

Last edited by Bob on 12/18/2012, 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

28How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 7:08 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!

Aside from the fact that correlation is not the same as causality, the number of privately owned guns per-capita in the US is twice that of Switzerland.

Didn't say it was and I didn't imply one causes the other...Now back to what I did say....Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property. It is protection. Gun control laws will only affect the law- abiding citizen and not the out-laws.

As for Switzerland
Switzerland has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world, with 45.7 guns per 100 residents and one of the lowest gun related crime rate.

29How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 7:11 pm

boards of FL wrote:
alecto wrote:Boards that is a completely ignorant statement. Every gun ever designed in human history was designed for the purpose of killing something and will kill a human being. My TenPoint Carbon Xtra crossbow will kill a human, my pickup truck will kill someone, my kitchen knives will kill a human. Come on boards your better than that stop reacting with pure emotion at put some of that big brain power you have in it, you just got your Masters.

I'm talking about assault rifles here - weapons that serve no other purpose but for combat against human beings. If we're not going to outlaw people owning AKs or other types of weapons that are intended for the battlefield, then my suggestion is that we apply strict liability to the ownership of said weapons. If someone gets off on playing with assault rifles, fair enough. But if their gun falls into the hands of someone who decides to go on a killing spree, the original owner should share the same sentence as the thief who went on the spree. Your gun was stolen and the thief robbed a store and killed a bystander? You will receive the same sentence as they do. Perhaps with strict liability people would hold a greater appreciation for the weapons that they view as toys that are to be played with at the range.

Should I be allowed to own an RPG? Bazooka? How about a pet lion? I want to house three pet lions in my backyard. Why are my rights being infringed upon here?

That is a fairly reasonable idea. I do not know how or if you could hold a firearm owner liable if a firearm is stolen, maybe there could be a penalty or jail time depending on what security features the firearm owner had in place and the type of firearm could be a determining factor of the punishment. For example I know people who simply have them sitting in a closet, so no reasonable effort was made to secure the firearms = jail time. I have four safes J bolted to a re-enforced concrete base, each safe is bolted to the one next to it for a combined weight of 2800lbs empty, can the safe be broken into, I'm sure someone can but I have went to tremendous lengths to ensure my firearms are secured. I am not against holding a firearm owner liable but circumstances do come into play. I do not know what type of precedence exist for that. If a thief steals a Ferrari and slams into a crowd of people killing some do they hold the owner of the car liable? I don't know thats why I was asking.

30How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 7:12 pm

2seaoat

Yes we have discussed your ideas of vehicles and safety in great detail. Unfortunately we have come to an impasse as to the effectiveness of how well it would work to prevent massacres like this. You armed with simply your "Ideas" says it will work, I armed with the" technical logistics" says it is doable in time with truck loads of money but will not work.

Let us agree that the Seaoat Solution will take years....and will not be flawless. Is there nothing we can do to improve gun safety and vehicle safety? I think for the most part in the shadow of this tragedy we have all been behaving pretty good because this is serious....and for the most part we have all in good faith given our input.....but immediately there is a bill to be introduced in the house and in the senate which is going to ban prospectively assault weapons(I am not sure what that means because it is rumored that there are over 900 waivers).

I think that a ban on assault weapons is wrong if our founding fathers envisioned that the weapons Americans were guaranteed were to defend themselves from the government. So we must look at the intent of the 2nd amendment. I think the intent was in the context of militias and self protection, and that the bill of rights and our founding fathers did not envision ourgovernment of the people as the threat. Additionally it is simply absurd to think that an automatic weapon against an Apache attack helicopter is going to protect T's camp Fema, or Mr. A's home. These are logical extensions which border on the absurd......so in the absence of the intent so many think was our founding fathers'.......I argue that reasonable regulation on bill of right .....rights.....is in fact reasonable and if the state can show a compelling reason to limit assault weapons and congress passes the bill....Our Supremes will enforce it.....where I defer....is that unless you do what Australia did with a buy back of assault weapons....they are still there and nobody is safe.....so the bill is nothing more than a feel good measure....and nobody is protected.

If you are going to ban assault weapons....ban them....fund a fair compensation rate for each designated weapon and get them out of the stream of commerce.....the bill being introduced is nonsense in my opinion.

31How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 7:19 pm

Sal

Sal

alecto wrote:

Why are we talking about banning assault rifles and high capacity clips when it appears pistols were used for this massacre.

Not my understanding.

My understanding is that he shot all of the victims including his mother with the Bushmaster assault rifle.

Only one shot was fired from a pistol, when he killed himself.

32How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 7:25 pm

W_T_M wrote:You're welcome alecto. I don't hate on guns nor on gun collector's, etc. I also have several older guns, and one big dog (Ruger .357 Magnum), and another really big dog. He's an Akita and his name is Echo. LOL

In all honesty your Akita is a far better for home defense than any firearm, crazy thing is criminals are more scared of getting bit than they are of getting shot and an Akita has a pretty powerful bite of coarse if they got past the Akita the .357 will make pretty big holes in them.

Last edited by alecto on 12/18/2012, 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

33How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 7:25 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Joanimaroni wrote:Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property. It is protection. Gun control laws will only affect the law- abiding citizen and not the out-laws.

I think that's generally true. BUT, not in the case of the CT school shooting.
The mother was indeed a "law-abiding" citizen who had guns for lawful purposes. BUT as we see her guns were not always used for lawful purposes.

I'm not saying that a ban on the type of guns she possessed will prevent most mass shootings. But if it had been in effect before she was able to buy those guns, I think a pretty good argument can be made that her son would not have obtained those guns in other ways.
Of course that applies to the circumstances of this particular mass shooting which is not to say that it will apply in the case of other mass shootings.
For example, the Aurora theater shooter didn't get his guns because his mommy had them lying around. And not only that but if the mommy would have owned guns which are not now going to be banned, the kid would have likely used those and still committed this atrocity. The only difference being the death count might not have been as high. But that's not always going to be the case either. If the typical mass shooter can't get the guns which will now be banned, all he will have to do is carry more guns on him so he can switch guns instead of high capacity ammo clips. The typical mass shooter is going to find a way to kill people even if we ban certain types of firearms and ammo clips. Maybe not quite as many in a given length of time, but he is going to do his thing regardless.

34How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 7:35 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property. It is protection. Gun control laws will only affect the law- abiding citizen and not the out-laws.

The mother was indeed a "law-abiding" citizen who had guns for lawful purposes. BUT as we see her guns were not always used for lawful purposes.

I'm not saying that a ban on the type of guns she possessed will prevent most mass shootings. But if it had been in effect before she was able to buy those guns, I think a pretty good argument can be made that her son would not have obtained those guns in other ways.
Of course that applies to the circumstances of this particular mass shooting which is not to say that it will apply in the case of other mass shootings.
For example, the Aurora theater shooter didn't get his guns because his mommy had them lying around. And not only that but if the mommy would have owned guns which are not now going to be banned, the kid would have likely used those and still committed this atrocity. The only difference being the death count might not have been as high. But that's not always going to be the case either. If the typical mass shooter can't get the guns which will now be banned, all he will have to do is carry more guns on him so he can switch guns instead of high capacity ammo clips. The typical mass shooter is going to find a way to kill people even if we ban certain types of firearms and ammo clips. Maybe not quite as many in a given length of time, but he is going to do his thing regardless.

You are right...this incident could have been done with several handguns and no one cold stop him except the first responders. The death toll depends on how quick the response is.

35How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 7:37 pm

boards of FL

boards of FL

Joanimaroni wrote:
Didn't say it was and I didn't imply one causes the other...Now back to what I did say....Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property. It is protection. Gun control laws will only affect the law- abiding citizen and not the out-laws.

As for Switzerland
Switzerland has one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world, with 45.7 guns per 100 residents and one of the lowest gun related crime rate.

You say you weren't trying to imply that gun ownership has anything to do with the crime rate in Switzerland, and then you immediately double down on the idea that gun ownership explains the crime rate in Switzerland - so I will revert back to my original come back. There are twice as many privately owned guns per capita in the US than there are in Switzerland. Using your logic, the US should have the lowest crime rate in the world.

36How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 7:44 pm

2seaoat

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property. It is protection. Gun control laws will only affect the law- abiding citizen and not the out-laws.

I generally agree, but I have friends with incredible military weaponry in their homes, they are honest citizens, and good people.......but what insecurity makes a person think that they need to have military weaponry in their homes. If I know a perp is coming into my home to kill me and my security camera picked up the vehicle giving me lead time to pick up my AT-2 surface to surface missle(no I do not own or have one in my possession) and I can take out his vehicle before his assault weapons are in range....should not every citizen be able to have an AT-2 surface missile in his home defense.

If there are absolutes....then you must allow the same, but we all know this absolute concept of freedom is a straw man....as is the concept of Gun control...a term created by the NRA....its time to call it what it really is....Gun safety......and I am sorry gun safety cannot be achieved by the current bill going to be introduced.......if you are going to ban assault weapons ban them.....otherwise let folks keep AT-2 in the home....especially in rural areas where the collateral damage will be minimal.

37How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 7:45 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

You don't have to go all the way to Switzerland to debate this point.
Not if what we read here is true...

"The New American magazine reminds us that March 25th marked the 16th anniversary of Kennesaw, Georgia's ordinance requiring heads of households (with certain exceptions) to keep at least one firearm in their homes.

The city's population grew from around 5,000 in 1980 to 13,000 by 1996 (latest available estimate). Yet there have been only three murders: two with knives (1984 and 1987) and one with a firearm (1997). After the law went into effect in 1982, crime against persons plummeted 74 percent compared to 1981, and fell another 45 percent in 1983 compared to 1982.

And it has stayed impressively low. In addition to nearly non-existent homicide (murders have averaged a mere 0.19 per year), the annual number of armed robberies, residential burglaries, commercial burglaries, and rapes have averaged, respectively, 1.69, 31.63, 19.75, and 2.00 through 1998."

any comment, bds?

the source:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1818862/posts

38How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 7:54 pm

AT-2 is for sissy......M32 is for me.....I thought the guy was going to orgasm describing it. Just click the text it loads quick

Last edited by hallmarkgrad on 12/18/2012, 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

39How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 7:54 pm

Rural residents own more weapons by rate than urban residents yet murder per capita is much higher in cities... the same correlation holds with whites/blacks both as prep and victim. I'm sick of reactionary laws to protect us... humans have been killing each other as long as we've existed. A new law wouldn't help unless it required guns or guards instead of these ridiculous feel good safe zones. why would we want a school full of children to be sitting ducks for crazed criminals? We want guards in banks but not protecting our kids? That takes a special kinda stupid... Don't tread on me.

40How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 7:57 pm

2seaoat

any comment, bds?

City one
The median income for a household in the city was $61,355 and the median income for a family was $ 75,465 . Males had a median income of $46,953, versus $42,809 for females. The per capita income for the city was $27,165. About 8.2% of families and 11.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.1% of those under age 18 and 13.3% of those age 65 or over.

City two
The median income for a household in the city was $34,779, and the median income for a family was $42,868. Males had a median income of $32,258 versus $23,582 for females. The per capita income for the city was $21,438. About 12.7% of families and 16.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.2% of those under age 18 and 9.2% of those age 65 or over.

Proposition.....all residents of City 1 by law must own a cocker spaniel

City one has a lower crime rate than city two

Therefore ownership of cocker spaniels lowers the crime rate

Hmmmm.....but Mr. Kotter.....does income levels and povery have anything to do with crime?

41How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 8:02 pm

And another thing... it's nobodies damn biz what kind of guns another citizen owns unless there is reason (record, mental, probable cause/complaint)... in this case due process is already in place. It was actually against the law for the mother to have taught her son to shoot, possess or have access if he was a mental defective (not my words... but from the actual law passed in the sixties).

and more recently:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2010/rpt/2010-R-0456.htm

Last edited by PkrBum on 12/18/2012, 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : link)

42How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 8:15 pm

Yella

Yella

Joanimaroni wrote:
Bob wrote:

You are right...this incident could have been done with several handguns and no one cold stop him except the first responders. The death toll depends on how quick the response is.

He seemed well organized. What if he had silencers on two 9 mm Glocks.. Since he and his mother visited gun shows he would have known how to acquire them.

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

43How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 8:16 pm

W_T_M wrote:Ya got a lot ya say....?

I'm ready for all of the gun freaks on here to line up and explain what exactly they think their arsenal is gonna do to "protect them from a tyrannical Gub'ment..."

I own guns. But the one I embrace that trumps all of yours is in the hands of the US of America. I have a huge gun if there comes an armed revolt from you nut-job pseudo patriots.

You gonna protect your home with a fully auto AK-47...? An M-16...? A 50cal...? Your ever so deadly multiple handguns...?

Don't make me LOL. I've got a tank that will blast a hole right through your vacuous dreams of adequacy. Got a bunker...? I've got laser guided bunker busters.

In fact, short of a huge bomb that's cumbersome and unwieldy, there's not a damned that you have that will be an effective defense from my collective "gun".

So here's your chance boys....step right up and tell us all about how you plan to use those guns you so love to hoard.

This should be interesting if not downright ridiculous.

I think you have mental issues based on the size or lack thereof of your empennage.

BTW fool, we don't register guns in Florida. I will though buy at least one when I get home on Christmas vacation from my school. I'm thinking of one called THE JUDGE. It shoots .45 and .410 shotgun shells. If I alternate ammo selection in the cylinder, it will make it quite amusing for a would be intruder.

44How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 8:25 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PACEDOG#1 wrote: I will though buy at least one when I get home on Christmas vacation from my school. I'm thinking of one called THE JUDGE. It shoots .45 and .410 shotgun shells. If I alternate ammo selection in the cylinder, it will make it quite amusing for a would be intruder.
You should delete this post if you don't wanna be ribbed by the gun crowd.
I made the mistake of admitting it on the PNJ forum when I bought my Judge.
The gun crowd all told me the Judge is a sissy gun. They're convinced that .410 shell doesn't have enough gumption to stop the bad guys. AND they're also convinced the Judge is known to blow up in your hands if the chamber does not seat itself properly.

45How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 8:29 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

But if you do buy a Judge, be sure and get the "personal defense" shells for it. Those are special .410 shells with platelets (discs) mixed in with the shot pellets and the platelets are designed to do more damage to human flesh and help stop a bad guy.

46How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 8:30 pm

Bob wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote: I will though buy at least one when I get home on Christmas vacation from my school. I'm thinking of one called THE JUDGE. It shoots .45 and .410 shotgun shells. If I alternate ammo selection in the cylinder, it will make it quite amusing for a would be intruder.
You should delete this post if you don't wanna be ribbed by the gun crowd.
I made the mistake of admitting it on the PNJ forum when I bought my Judge.
The gun crowd all told me the Judge is a sissy gun. They're convinced that .410 shell doesn't have enough gumption to stop the bad guys. AND they're also convinced the Judge is known to blow up in your hands if the chamber does not seat itself properly.

My father killed himself with a .410 snake charmer... so it can kill... but it's a poor choice imo.

47How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 8:46 pm

2seaoat

My father killed himself with a .410 snake charmer... so it can kill... but it's a poor choice imo.

I hope you were an adult and could deal with your loss....it is never easy at any age, and I hope your pain has lessened with time....but I dare not ask more because I would feel some of your pain......and that will not do a thing for either of us....but in the end I am sorry for your loss.

48How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 8:50 pm

NaNook

NaNook

The Bushmaster AR-15 is NOT an assault rifle, PERIOD. It has NO SELECTOR switch. If you want to ban semi-auto weapons then remember how long they have been around.

People are getting stupid. Are you going to ban a Colt-45? Are you going to ban a Sweet Sixteen Browning? Are you going to stop the government from selling semi-auto weapons to the general public? Ever hear of the CMP Program? It's been around for decades. Yes, you can buy semi-auto weapons from your government via the CMP Program.

What about a 5-barrel pistol from the 1800's which fires all barrels with one trigger pull? It's not an automatic...

Let's bring some common sense into the discussion.

Pray tell me, who was the last mass murderer considered a normal person?

49How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 8:52 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:

I googled the information...about Switzerland....and low and behold the information I copied was incorrect.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/switzerland.asp
http://www.ice-news.net/2012/01/16/gun-history-the-media-chooses-to-ignore/

firearm related deaths per 100,000
United States 9.20 Homicides 3.7
Switzerland 3.5 Homicides 0.52

50How many guns ya got....? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many guns ya got....? 12/18/2012, 8:56 pm

NaNook wrote:The Bushmaster AR-15 is NOT an assault rifle, PERIOD. It has NO SELECTOR switch. If you want to ban semi-auto weapons then remember how long they have been around.

People are getting stupid. Are you going to ban a Colt-45? Are you going to ban a Sweet Sixteen Browning? Are you going to stop the government from selling semi-auto weapons to the general public? Ever hear of the CMP Program? It's been around for decades. Yes, you can buy semi-auto weapons from your government via the CMP Program.

What about a 5-barrel pistol from the 1800's which fires all barrels with one trigger pull? It's not an automatic...

Let's bring some common sense into the discussion.

Pray tell me, who was the last mass murderer considered a normal person?

According to Ct law it must be as described.

The Connecticut law restricts semi-automatic rifles — those capable of firing a bullet with each pull of the trigger — only if they include a detachable magazine as well as at least two of five specific features. One of those features — a pistol grip — is ubiquitous on military-style weapons. But to be banned, an AR-15-style rifle would also need to include a folding or telescoping stock, a bayonet mount, a grenade launcher or a flash suppressor, a device typically screwed on to the end of the muzzle to limit the bright flash caused by gunpowder that ignites outside of the muzzle.

This is basically the same as the federal law that expired under the Bush administration. Any rifle that will fire with every trigger pull and include 2 other options is considered an assault weapon.

A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

i. a folding or telescopic stock;

ii. a pistol grip;

iii. a bayonet mount;

iv. a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

v. a grenade launcher.

http://www.jud.ct.gov/ji/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum