Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bill Maher Warns Romney Supporters: 'Black People Know Who You Are and They Will Come After You'

+5
NaNook
Floridatexan
2seaoat
othershoe1030
knothead
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/11/03/maher-if-you-vote-romney-black-people-know-who-you-are-and-will-come

alecto wrote:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/11/03/maher-if-you-vote-romney-black-people-know-who-you-are-and-will-come

im sick to death of the double standard form the left.

If these people think they can scare people into voting for obama they have another thing coming.

This isnt some 3rd world nation all though they would like to make it be one. We are well armed and if people try to kill us because of who we vote for, then they will be in for a big surprise. We will defend ourselves.

knothead

knothead

Alkaia wrote:
alecto wrote:

im sick to death of the double standard form the left.

If these people think they can scare people into voting for obama they have another thing coming.

This isnt some 3rd world nation all though they would like to make it be one. We are well armed and if people try to kill us because of who we vote for, then they will be in for a big surprise. We will defend ourselves.

This could your chance to nail Big Momma!!!

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

What do we see here, right wingers coming out against free speech?

Limbaugh can spout things just as bad and the ditto heads lap it up. Talk about a double standard.

BTW I watched the show as I do most weeks and BTW he is a comedian. It was a joke albeit not a politically correct one.

How about the bumper stickers available that say: Don't re-nig in 2012? This is what we're dealing with, the pin head racists.

2seaoat

What do we see here, right wingers coming out against free speech?

I disagree. I think the problem is more fundamental. Humor is often subtle. It is often complex. I often takes an adult to understand some humor. A child will laugh when papa makes a funny face......but I doubt a child would understand Bill's humor......and there is the fundamental problem. Some folks say things in the proud tradition of Jonathan Swift.....let's say the modest proposal......and others will post a thread saying that folks want to eat babies......it is simply a matter of intelligence.

If I was making a statement about a racial issue......and I meant it.....or in Rush's situation I try rudimentary dog whistle tactics.....I would be upset if somebody using satire said something which they did not mean. It is a simple matter of intelligence to understand the role of satire versus dog whistle propaganda techniques which in fact do get criticized by popular media.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

2seaoat wrote:What do we see here, right wingers coming out against free speech?

I disagree. I think the problem is more fundamental. Humor is often subtle. It is often complex. I often takes an adult to understand some humor. A child will laugh when papa makes a funny face......but I doubt a child would understand Bill's humor......and there is the fundamental problem. Some folks say things in the proud tradition of Jonathan Swift.....let's say the modest proposal......and others will post a thread saying that folks want to eat babies......it is simply a matter of intelligence.

If I was making a statement about a racial issue......and I meant it.....or in Rush's situation I try rudimentary dog whistle tactics.....I would be upset if somebody using satire said something which they did not mean. It is a simple matter of intelligence to understand the role of satire versus dog whistle propaganda techniques which in fact do get criticized by popular media.

Good point, satire vs dog whistles. Maher being the former, Rush the latter.

othershoe1030 wrote:What do we see here, right wingers coming out against free speech?

Limbaugh can spout things just as bad and the ditto heads lap it up. Talk about a double standard.

BTW I watched the show as I do most weeks and BTW he is a comedian. It was a joke albeit not a politically correct one.

How about the bumper stickers available that say: Don't re-nig in 2012? This is what we're dealing with, the pin head racists.

See what I mean about the double standard?

Its now a matter of freedom of speech when this man says on TV, mind you this is on TV, millions of veiwers. Not the same thing as a private persons choice of a bumper sticker.

i mean really, your all ok calling a persons bumper sticker racist but you refuse to call this comment racist. its a double standard and you give him pass because he spews your liberal agenda. and its ok to give a pass because he is a comedian and some how in your mind that makes it ok. Rolling Eyes

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Alkaia wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:What do we see here, right wingers coming out against free speech?

See what I mean about the double standard?

Its now a matter of freedom of speech when this man says on TV, mind you this is on TV, millions of veiwers. Not the same thing as a private persons choice of a bumper sticker.

i mean really, your all ok calling a persons bumper sticker racist but you refuse to call this comment racist. its a double standard and you give him pass because he spews your liberal agenda. and its ok to give a pass because he is a comedian and some how in your mind that makes it ok. Rolling Eyes

IT WAS A JOKE...GET IT? JOKE. And apparently, the joke's on you.

2seaoat

It is a matter of intelligence to understand the proud tradition of political satire starting with Johnathan Swift who proposed that the Irish problem could be solved if Irish babies were used for food. Some people incapable of understanding his brilliance actually believed he was proposing to eat Irish babies..........there will always be those folks......and of course the folks who post a thread like this.

NaNook

NaNook

2seaoat wrote:It is a matter of intelligence to understand the proud tradition of political satire starting with Johnathan Swift who proposed that the Irish problem could be solved if Irish babies were used for food. Some people incapable of understanding his brilliance actually believed he was proposing to eat Irish babies..........there will always be those folks......and of course the folks who post a thread like this.

I don't have a problem with political satire. I do have a problem with thousands of tweets calling for riots if Romney is elected. Also calling for the death of Romney. It would seem Bills comments are inappropriate in this context and environment. Google around and realize there are people who take the comments as a call to arms. Humor (playing a joke) sometimes results in death. Just look at last week.....

BTW: I still don't understand the political satire concerning the 2 black panthers with clubs blocking a polling station in 2008.

Sal

Sal

Floridatexan wrote:

IT WAS A JOKE...GET IT? JOKE. And apparently, the joke's on you.

No, she doesn't get it.

It requires intellect and critical thinking skills to appreciate satire.

Wingnuts are devoid of those qualities.

It explains why when the Colbert Report debuted, many wingnuts took him seriously as a conservative pundit.

VectorMan

VectorMan

Maher is a pinhead. Along with Colbert, Stewart and the people that get their news from the likes of these "comedians".

Let them protest/riot. They'll go the way of OWS.

Obama supporters will become what they need to become. A dying breed.

2seaoat

I imagine even in Jonathan Swift's time the act of a cannibal was possible, and in fact a baby could have been eaten. I have no doubt that a black panther somewhere in America is capable of doing something evil.....but to equate the two is really a question of sophistication and intelligence. It used to be the Republican Party was the bastion of intelligence, but when people cannot understand the proud tradition of political satire, and actually think people are going to riot if President Obama is not elected......as a poker player it is a tell......it tells me much more about the person who has those beliefs than he or she probably understands. There is zero chance of riots after the election.

2seaoat wrote:I imagine even in Jonathan Swift's time the act of a cannibal was possible, and in fact a baby could have been eaten. I have no doubt that a black panther somewhere in America is capable of doing something evil.....but to equate the two is really a question of sophistication and intelligence. It used to be the Republican Party was the bastion of intelligence, but when people cannot understand the proud tradition of political satire, and actually think people are going to riot if President Obama is not elected......as a poker player it is a tell......it tells me much more about the person who has those beliefs than he or she probably understands. There is zero chance of riots after the election.

why is it you just give pass for this?

and why is it you say there is zero chance of riots? republicans are NOT the ones saying there will be riots, its the obama voters saying it.

knothead

knothead

Other cogent examples are "Put the Mormon Not the Moron in the White House" or perhaps "Put the White Man Back in the White House". I have seen many such denigrating and demeaning slogans disguised as humor that are beyond the pale.

2seaoat

why is it you just give pass for this?

The very exact same reason that when I first read Swift's Modest Proposal I understood the power of political satire, and that he was not actually proposing that Irish babies be eaten. The power of this satire has always been that some people.......a small percentage actually believe that people should have been eating Irish babies to solve a problem, and yes.....some people believe that people will riot....or that black people know where you live......yes.....hundreds of years have passed since Swift wrote his masterpiece.....and yet the dynamics of his story could never be more relevant and remain as powerful today as his words were powerful then........

NaNook

NaNook

2seaoat wrote:I imagine even in Jonathan Swift's time the act of a cannibal was possible, and in fact a baby could have been eaten. I have no doubt that a black panther somewhere in America is capable of doing something evil.....but to equate the two is really a question of sophistication and intelligence. It used to be the Republican Party was the bastion of intelligence, but when people cannot understand the proud tradition of political satire, and actually think people are going to riot if President Obama is not elected......as a poker player it is a tell......it tells me much more about the person who has those beliefs than he or she probably understands. There is zero chance of riots after the election.

People in NY were told a hurricane was going to hit. According to you, they weren't intelligent enough to prepare. What was their "tell"?

At what point does someone (thousands) telling you they mean you harm do you prepare to defend yourself? Do you wait until you are shot/stabbed? Do you wait until the hurricane hits to prepare?

I was around in 1965-1966, I guess those riots were nothing. Remember LA and Rodney?

I'd rather be prepared than smart......common sense.

Switch the white and black in this joke and it's considered hate speech.

2seaoat wrote:why is it you just give pass for this?

The very exact same reason that when I first read Swift's Modest Proposal I understood the power of political satire, and that he was not actually proposing that Irish babies be eaten. The power of this satire has always been that some people.......a small percentage actually believe that people should have been eating Irish babies to solve a problem, and yes.....some people believe that people will riot....or that black people know where you live......yes.....hundreds of years have passed since Swift wrote his masterpiece.....and yet the dynamics of his story could never be more relevant and remain as powerful today as his words were powerful then........

ok how do you feel about this comedians satire, this is freedom of speech right?

2seaoat

I may not be able to answer your questions....if they was even a question. I will use the poker analogy to try.......if I am sitting with a 2/7 on the flop......a good poker player will toss those cards in the muck when it is his turn to act. Now, a person could argue that I should proceed with those cards, and sure enough every once and a awhile the flop will reveal 7-7-2 which is a full house and almost certainly the winning hand.....but to live one's life thinking that a person is going to win in poker by playing a 2-7.....or that there are going to be riots because of past riots would require an intelligent and probable explanation as to why that would happen. I think economic dislocation and poverty have always historically created social unrest. However, the idea of you being prepared is fascinating to me.....because I think people do not realize how fragile our constitutional system is. It has been layered over a huge economic engine which has produced unprecedented prosperity, and if we have the collapse of fragile veneer, I will be the first to tell you......you are not prepared. That is why every citizen must work for the collective good of this nation, and duty to this nation is not a dirty word....or a corny phrase, but an essential component on the well being of all of us. This idea of the individual being prepared.....makes as much sense as surviving in a bomb shelter in 1962 in your backyard.....at some point you will have to answer questions you do not want to answer.....at some point you are going to have to realize we are all in this together....for better or worse......and your fantasy of being prepared is equal to me winning with a 2-7.

2seaoat wrote:I may not be able to answer your questions....if they was even a question. I will use the poker analogy to try.......if I am sitting with a 2/7 on the flop......a good poker player will toss those cards in the muck when it is his turn to act. Now, a person could argue that I should proceed with those cards, and sure enough every once and a awhile the flop will reveal 7-7-2 which is a full house and almost certainly the winning hand.....but to live one's life thinking that a person is going to win in poker by playing a 2-7.....or that there are going to be riots because of past riots would require an intelligent and probable explanation as to why that would happen. I think economic dislocation and poverty have always historically created social unrest. However, the idea of you being prepared is fascinating to me.....because I think people do not realize how fragile our constitutional system is. It has been layered over a huge economic engine which has produced unprecedented prosperity, and if we have the collapse of fragile veneer, I will be the first to tell you......you are not prepared. That is why every citizen must work for the collective good of this nation, and duty to this nation is not a dirty word....or a corny phrase, but an essential component on the well being of all of us. This idea of the individual being prepared.....makes as much sense as surviving in a bomb shelter in 1962 in your backyard.....at some point you will have to answer questions you do not want to answer.....at some point you are going to have to realize we are all in this together....for better or worse......and your fantasy of being prepared is equal to me winning with a 2-7.

Thast what I thought. ramble, ramble, ramble What a Face

btw seaoat. you did see that newt predicts romney will win with 300 electorial votes right?

2seaoat

No, I did not see that....the last week was almost zero tv......but I respect his analysis. I also know he is the king of Machevellian techniques.....and certainly creating the illusion of a mandate for a candidate would be consistent with a practitioner of the art. He was the best candidate.

2seaoat

Switch the white and black in this joke and it's considered hate speech.

Really.........so white people never went into folks houses and lynched them?.....and maybe there are a few folk....including some who post here who think that is an appropriate response. You see the probabilities play an important part in the use of political satire.....if in fact people were eating Irish babies regularly, the power and effectiveness of Swift's satire would not work, and certainly switching the colors of the subjects skin makes little or no sense if a person's goal is satire, but it makes all the sense in the world to a racist.

2seaoat wrote:Switch the white and black in this joke and it's considered hate speech.

Really.........so white people never went into folks houses and lynched them?.....and maybe there are a few folk....including some who post here who think that is an appropriate response. You see the probabilities play an important part in the use of political satire.....if in fact people were eating Irish babies regularly, the power and effectiveness of Swift's satire would not work, and certainly switching the colors of the subjects skin makes little or no sense if a person's goal is satire, but it makes all the sense in the world to a racist.

OMG!

are you now saying pkr is a racist because he said switching the color would be considered hate speech?

pkr is 100% RIGHT

and you are off your rocker f you dont see the double standard.

lets go a little deeper on this shall we.

How about two hooded KKK men standing outside a voter poll in a black neighborhood. Are you ok with that too?

btw, Im holding a royal flush.

2seaoat

btw, Im holding a royal flush.

I understand you believe that wearing a crown on the toilet and then pulling feces out of the toilet while flushing is holding a royal flush.....but for those of us who play poker it is Ace, King, Queen, Jack, and a ten in the same suit.....and yes, I am calling someone a racist who thinks that simply changing the colors makes sense, or somehow denigrates the power of the satire......it is the probability of the underlying act, and the pushing of the envelope which makes it funny......and comprehension is not mandatory.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum