Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is your opinion on what will happen on the midterms

+6
PkrBum
othershoe1030
zsomething
RealLindaL
Floridatexan
2seaoat
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

mid term election- which best describes the result

What is your opinion on what will happen on the midterms I_vote_lcap20%What is your opinion on what will happen on the midterms I_vote_rcap 20% [ 2 ]
What is your opinion on what will happen on the midterms I_vote_lcap30%What is your opinion on what will happen on the midterms I_vote_rcap 30% [ 3 ]
What is your opinion on what will happen on the midterms I_vote_lcap50%What is your opinion on what will happen on the midterms I_vote_rcap 50% [ 5 ]
What is your opinion on what will happen on the midterms I_vote_lcap0%What is your opinion on what will happen on the midterms I_vote_rcap 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

2seaoat

I believe there will be gains in the house by Democrats, but they will not win the house back. I think the senate will remain close to its current ratio. The Democrats will definitely not retake the Senate.

I think the Democratic Hubris has never been higher as they get on their high horse about irrelevant issues and ignore things like disenfranchisement of Puerto Rican American citizens in Florida. President Trump is winning the media manipulation, and winning elections is secondary to hysteria.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:I believe there will be gains in the house by Democrats, but they will not win the house back.  I think the senate will remain close to its current ratio.  The Democrats will definitely not retake the Senate.

I think the Democratic Hubris has never been higher as they get on their high horse about irrelevant issues and ignore things like disenfranchisement of Puerto Rican American citizens in Florida.  President Trump is winning the media manipulation, and winning elections is secondary to hysteria.

I no longer care what you think. You've shown your true colors with the last few posts.

2seaoat

My true colors have been a life time fighting lies. It is one big lie that America is tired of this administration. Most educated folks who listen to cable TV and think the beltway issues are important understand that Trump is a curse on America, but the idea that average folks are upset about a hearing from someone's high school days, or that they give a chit about the AG or his assistant........they do not care. They care about people having jobs and the medium income is going up. Guess what........listening to a bunch of talking heads outrage is not even being watched by America. The Democrats are too inept to connect with America and would rather sit back and whine and pretend this economy is doing pretty good. History tells us the mid terms are bad for a sitting president.....I expect nothing less, but this illusion of a blue wave.......that takes hard work and getting folks to the polls.....but those Daley democrats from those conservative districts would get the vote out for the party and now they are part of the deplorables.....just stupid elitism and a natural rejection by average Americans.

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:They care about people having jobs and the medium income is going up.

The word is "median," not "medium."

And the truth is that both the employment and the income picture were already improving under Obama and Trump simply took a ride on his coattails. Sadly, the people naive enough to believe Trump's brags are the same ones dumb enough to have voted for him in the first place.

Meanwhile the deficit his tax cuts created will eventually trip everyone up via inflation etc., but by then Trump'll be long gone and the great unwashed will blame it all on his successor.

2seaoat

The word is "median," not "medium."

Thank you. I am proof reading three times now because most of what I post on typing is unreadable. We will see how long I can make any sense.

What a straight man....just lay that out and wait.

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:What a straight man....just lay that out and wait.

Wait for what?  For me to say that incorrect word usage (not simple typos) has been a hallmark of your writing for many years?    

But it's not as if you're the Lone Ranger, of course.   The English language is murdered daily, even in the media where writers are supposed to be impeccable, but are often far from it.

zsomething

Repubs will loose the house. It probably won't be as devastating as people are hoping, though, because Democrats are proving to be complacent. When people think they're going to win easily, they don't bother showing up to vote. That's why Trump got in. A total of around 80,000 people spread over 4 swing states changed the outcome of a cinch election. If Dems hadn't been lazy and said, "We've got this sewn up" and had showed up to vote or not diddled themselves by writing in Bernie or voting for Jill Stein, we could have avoided Cheeto Corleone entirely. Did Dems learn? A little, but not enough. We could sweep the house AND senate if we could get voter turnout, but I'm a cynic and never trust people in large groups not to let ya down.

But, yeah, Dems will take the House. The senate would be take-able, too, if people would just surprise me and show up to vote. Complacency is the enemy.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

I am, I hope, realistically hopeful that there will be a record breaking turnout by both parties but with the edge going to the Dems. I base this on the very low presidential approval ratings that have gone hand in hand with poor results for the president's party in mid-terms.

I am also encouraged by the boots-on-the-ground work being done by the high school students from Stoneman Douglas HS in south Florida. They have been active in the movement to register first time voters, setting up voter registration locations in high schools and doing a lot of work on line too.

If you can register on line in most states you can register on your smart phone. It is possible to hang out at public gatherings and show people how to register on their phones right there in the moment instead of going around with a clipboard and a voter registration form that has to be turned in to the Supervisor of Elections Office.

My main source of optimism about Dems voting is that the R's continue to stick a dirty finger in the eye of women across the country. They fail to acknowledge the male/sexual intimidation culture that is deeply engrained in certain social circles is enraging many female voters both Democratic, Republican and Independent. The women's vote will be the linch pin in this election.

Remember Obama "took a shellacking" in his first midterm election and he had higher approval numbers than 45 has now.

PkrBum

PkrBum

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5ba23ce2e4b013b09780d1b3

As is often the case, politics is far more of a dividing line than gender, although some differences stand out within each voting bloc. Male and female Trump voters both see the accusation against Kavanaugh as lacking credibility and irrelevant to his nomination, but the men are 23 points and 9 points likelier, respectively, to hold those opinions. Across the aisle, male Clinton voters are more likely than female Clinton voters to view the accusation as credible ― the women are no more likely to doubt it, but do more commonly choose not to state an opinion. Gender also influences the personal perspectives different people bring to the controversy. Men say by an 11-point margin that they worry more about being accused of sexual harassment than of facing it, while women say by a 23-point margin that they’re more worried they will be harassed. A majority of both men and women say they’re not concerned about either possibility, although half of women under 30 report fearing sexual harassment.

knothead

knothead

zsomething wrote:Repubs will loose the house.  It probably won't be as devastating as people are hoping, though, because Democrats are proving to be complacent.   When people think they're going to win easily, they don't bother showing up to vote.  That's why Trump got in.   A total of around 80,000 people spread over 4 swing states changed the outcome of a cinch election.  If Dems hadn't been lazy and said, "We've got this sewn up" and had showed up to vote or not diddled themselves by writing in Bernie or voting for Jill Stein, we could have avoided Cheeto Corleone entirely.   Did Dems learn?   A little, but not enough.   We could sweep the house AND senate if we could get voter turnout, but I'm a cynic and never trust people in large groups not to let ya down.

But, yeah, Dems will take the House.   The senate would be take-able, too, if people would just surprise me and show up to vote.   Complacency is the enemy.

Don't be offended z but I'm getting on Linda's train of correctness.

It's lose not loose . . .

RealLindaL

knothead wrote:

Hey knot, don't get me in trouble with z! (I'm forever in trouble with Seaoat, so correcting him is no particular problem -- besides, he likes people to pick on him.)

I've wondered if it wouldn't be fun, in the General discussion forum, to start a thread about pet grammatical peeves. Some people would love it; others would hate it, but at least it'd help some of us English lovers express our regular frustrations. Laughing

EmeraldGhost

EmeraldGhost

Yeah, well I don't know which way it's gonna go, so I didn't vote in 'Oatie's' poll.

I know activists in both parties are hyped up about "getting out the vote" but frankly, I think turnout will be a little more lackluster on both sides of the partisan divide than some are predicting.   The people are a bit weary of politics right now I think.

RealLindaL

EmeraldGhost wrote:The people are a bit weary of politics right now I think.

Seems that could certainly be a factor. On the other hand, if they think just a little farther, perhaps they'll see that the weariness could be cured with change.

Maybe.

Telstar

Telstar

Hopefully the most toxic type of cancer will be extracted

The Republican Party. Twisted Evil

RealLindaL

Telstar wrote:Hopefully the most toxic type of cancer will be extracted

The Republican Party. Twisted Evil

From your lips, etc.

zsomething

RealLindaL wrote:
knothead wrote:

Hey knot, don't get me in trouble with z!   (I'm forever in trouble with Seaoat, so correcting him is no particular problem -- besides, he likes people to pick on him.)

I've wondered if it wouldn't be fun, in the General discussion forum, to start a thread about pet grammatical peeves.  Some people would love it; others would hate it, but at least it'd help some of us English lovers express our regular frustrations.    Laughing

I have a BA and an MA in English! Don't dispute me!

Even when I'm wrong... which I was this time! Smile I'm bad about getting sloppy. It's carelessness, not ignorance. Or, at least that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! Smile

My big peeves are the their/there/they're, you're/your, too/two/to things. Living in a red state, it's hard to find anybody who does get those right.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

zsomething wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:
knothead wrote:

Hey knot, don't get me in trouble with z!   (I'm forever in trouble with Seaoat, so correcting him is no particular problem -- besides, he likes people to pick on him.)

I've wondered if it wouldn't be fun, in the General discussion forum, to start a thread about pet grammatical peeves.  Some people would love it; others would hate it, but at least it'd help some of us English lovers express our regular frustrations.    Laughing

I have a BA and an MA in English!   Don't dispute me!

Even when I'm wrong... which I was this time! Smile    I'm bad about getting sloppy.   It's carelessness, not ignorance.  Or, at least that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! Smile

My big peeves are the their/there/they're, you're/your, too/two/to things.   Living in a red state, it's hard to find anybody who does get those right.

He should have went to the show. This mis-use is becoming so widespread as to nearly be acceptable! Where has "gone" gone?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

It is one big lie that America is tired of this administration.

You're "fighting lies" and you say this? The majority is sick and tired of this lying, bloviating POS and have been since day one.

August 14, 2018 - U.S. Voters Dislike Trump Almost 2-1, Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds; Media Is Important To Democracy, 65% Of Voters Say Quinnipiac University Polling Logo

Only 31 percent of American voters like President Donald Trump as a person, while 59 percent dislike him, according to a Quinnipiac University National Poll released today.

Republicans like Trump 66 - 24 percent, the only listed party, gender, education, age or racial group which likes him, the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University National Poll finds.

By a smaller 54 - 43 percent margin, American voters dislike President Trump's policies.

Voters disapprove 54 - 41 percent of the job Trump is doing as president, including 48 percent who disapprove strongly. Another 30 percent approve strongly.

The Trump Administration is not doing enough to help middle class Americans, voters say 58 - 38 percent. Republicans say 80 - 16 percent that the administration is doing enough, and white men agree 51 - 45 percent. White voters with no college degree are divided as 46 percent say the administration is doing enough and 49 percent say it is not doing enough. Every other listed group says the Trump Administration is not doing enough.

Their personal financial situation has gotten better in the last two years, 36 percent of voters say, as 17 percent say it's worse and 45 percent say their financial situation is the same.

"Not the kind of numbers that gets you a date to the prom - or helps your party as the Midterm Elections approach. Only one in three Americans 'likes' President Donald Trump," said Tim Malloy, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Poll.

"For President Trump, another Groundhog Day. His job approval gets another cool reception in midst of the sweltering summer. What does it mean? Simple: The base is hanging in and the rest aren't buying in."

President Trump does not treat people of color with the same amount of respect he affords white people, American voters say 54 - 39 percent.

American voters say 54 - 37 percent that "President Trump has emboldened people who hold racist beliefs to express those beliefs publicly."

Trump, The Media, Twitter

The news media is an important part of democracy, 65 percent of American voters say, while 26 percent of voters say the media is the enemy of the people. Republicans say 51 - 36 percent that the media is the enemy of the people rather than an important part of democracy, the only listed group to feel that way.

While 44 percent of American voters are concerned that President Trump's criticism of the news media will lead to violence against people who work in media, 52 percent of voters are not concerned. Democrats are concerned about violence 76 - 21 percent. Not concerned are Republicans 80 - 14 percent and independent voters 55 - 41 percent.

American voters say 66 - 26 percent that Trump should stop tweeting from his personal Twitter account. Republicans are divided as 44 percent say tweet and 47 percent say stop.

"The media, so frequently excoriated by the White House, is not considered an enemy of the people. Far from it," Malloy said.

Trump and Russia

President Trump is not tough enough on Russia, 55 percent of American voters say, as one percent says he is too tough and 36 percent say his attitude towards Russia is about right.

It is never acceptable for a presidential campaign to obtain information on a political opponent from a hostile foreign power, voters say 79 - 12 percent, including 69 - 19 percent among Republicans.

Special Counsel Robert Mueller is conducting a fair investigation into possible coordination between the Trump presidential campaign and the Russian government, voters say 51 - 33 percent. The president is guilty of wrongdoing in this matter, 42 percent of voters say, while 43 percent say he is not guilty.

From August 9 - 13, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,175 voters nationwide, with a margin of error of +/- 3.4 percentage points, including design effect. Live interviewers call landlines and cell phones.

The Quinnipiac University Poll, directed by Douglas Schwartz, Ph.D., conducts nationwide public opinion surveys, and statewide polls in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Florida, Ohio, Virginia, Iowa, Colorado and Texas as a public service and for research.

Visit poll.qu.edu or www.facebook.com/quinnipiacpoll

Call (203) 582-5201, or follow us on Twitter @QuinnipiacPoll.

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2561

RealLindaL

othershoe1030 wrote:
He should have went to the show. This mis-use is becoming so widespread as to nearly be acceptable! Where has "gone" gone?

...just as I'm forever asking, "What happened to 'saw'??" when someone says, "I seen him in the show."

So, should I start a pet grammatical peeves thread or not?

bigdog

Every time Seaoat pontificates on what "average Americans" think it makes me choke a little bit in my mouth.
IVe read your posts Mr Oats, and I'm not so sure you know what an average American is. Most of us don't have the money to play poker every week, Seaoat. We can't afford to risk what we need to live on by gambling it away. You have never given me the impression that you were a nine to five worker trying to get by on your paycheck week to week. I know you are retired, but I doubt seriously you were "average American" when you were working.
The average American doesn't have a retirement plan and has less than $1000 he could get to in a crisis, FYI. My husband has done physical labor his entire life, and Donald Trump dragging kids out of their parents arms still pisses him off. He despises the Donald equally as much as I do, and isn't afraid to get into disagreements with the guys at work about him. You demean average Americans by saying they don't care about anything but their jobs. My sister's Obamacare deductable went up when the mandate was ruled out, and she cares a lot. She voted for Trump, but she will never do so again. She's an average American who has worked at a day care center her whole life. Don't go around telling people what average Americans think Seaoat, you don't know. And by the way, minorities are going to vote this election, bet on it. Since you're the one with the money you can risk by gambling.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

RealLindaL wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

...just as I'm forever asking, "What happened to 'saw'??" when someone says, "I seen him in the show."

Fine with me. It would get all our complaints in one, easy to access thread! Go for it! I might even ask questions as to which word is correct in some cases. I'm hung up on things like: Me and my brother ran all the way home. Isn't it supposed to be: My brother and I?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

othershoe1030 wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

Fine with me. It would get all our complaints in one, easy to access thread! Go for it! I might even ask questions as to which word is correct in some cases. I'm hung up on things like: Me and my brother ran all the way home. Isn't it supposed to be: My brother and I?

Yes, and the rule of thumb is how it would be stated if it only mentioned "I" or "me". If, on the other hand, if it was something like, "This happened to both my brother and me.", that would be correct in the context. I usually ignore most grammatical errors here and on other pages, although I'm quick to point them out if I don't agree with the poster. Sometimes it's a clue that they're not from this country.

2seaoat

but I doubt seriously you were "average American" when you were working.

I agree......I was way above average. However, I spent 38 years helping average families deal with an unfair system and I was tenacious fighting for those who struggled.

In regard to physical labor, my father died when I was 10 and my mother could barely take care of herself when alcohol had her in its grips, so I worked...delivering newspapers, shoveling snow, cutting lawns, reading water meters, working in a brass foundry, working three years as a maintenance man for Chrysler, Dodge, and Toyota, picking mufflers and hpipe from a warehouse, breaking pottery in a pottery, bartending, bus boy, dishwasher, machinist, and then I paid for my college entirely graduating in 2.5 years......and went on to not having average jobs or education, so I think I do have insight as to what an average family deals with.......down to their budget and challenges.

But who cares....I mean the average American has hard wired racism ingrained from Jim Crow which existed in their lifetime.......so economic issues mean less than they have meant, but Muslims, Mexicans, and Blacks....oh thumbs up.

Telstar

Telstar

othershoe1030 wrote:
zsomething wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:
knothead wrote:

I have a BA and an MA in English!   Don't dispute me!

Even when I'm wrong... which I was this time! Smile    I'm bad about getting sloppy.   It's carelessness, not ignorance.  Or, at least that's my story and I'm stickin' to it! Smile

My big peeves are the their/there/they're, you're/your, too/two/to things.   Living in a red state, it's hard to find anybody who does get those right.

bigdog

RealLindaL wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

______My pets have no grammatical peeves. If I say "Youse is s good boy," they don't give a chit.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum