Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Donald Trump Filed for Re-election 5 Hours After He Was Sworn In to Office

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

https://trofire.com/2017/01/29/donald-trump-filed-re-election-5-hours-sworn-office/

"In a major breaking with precedent, it was discovered that President Trump has already filed for re-election in 2020 with the FEC, and did so just hours after becoming president on January 20, 2017.

Comparably, President Barack Obama did not file for his 2012 relection until 2011. In fact, it is unheard of for a sitting president to file for re-election before the midterms, at the very earliest.

This is notable because having filed officially as a candidate in a race – even one so far away – changes rules for those who would oppose him. Now, anyone who wants to criticize Trump the President must do so without politically engaging Trump the candidate, two separate entities with two separate sets of rules.

Now, if a non-profit like, say, Planned Parenthood wants to speak out against President Trump, they must do so in a way that avoids seeming as if they are campaigining against him as a 2020 candidate..."

Not slamming you, FT, but this story seems to lead in a direction that could be deemed fake news. And fake news incites, as we have seen it come to the point of Markle being banned by BoF for the same things.

Snopes, if anyone considers it a trusted site, says the mentioned story is false.

http://www.snopes.com/trump-filed-reelection-stop-political-speech-nonprofits/

Don't really have a dog in the race. But I think those on the far left of the news can be just as guilty of spreading false news as the far right. Would be good to check and recheck facts before sharing.

Many of my left leaning friends are slamming "news" on Facebook and it's extremely reminiscent of all the fake stories that the right flooded forums and Facebook with after Mr. Obama's inauguration.

Everyone step up and move up. Don't spread the crap. We don't want to be Markel.

RealLindaL

Not to pile on you, FT, because your contributions are much appreciated, but I heartily support SheWrites on this caveat -- not just for you, but for all of us to remember. I think it's especially important for those who frequent leftist or Progressive websites, which in some cases are just as guilty of questionable stories as Breitbart and others on the right. It's much wiser and safer, I think, to stick with the MSM when posting articles here. They may not always be correct, but most of them do at least regularly verify and/or fact check.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

My link was from The Ring of Fire, which includes our local attorney, Mike Papantonio. Here is the Snopes link:

http://www.snopes.com/trump-filed-reelection-stop-political-speech-nonprofits/

The Constant Campaigner

Legal experts don't believe President Trump's filing for re-election early will have a noticeable affect on the activities of nonprofit and nongovernmental organizations.

So, he HAS filed paperwork with the FEC, although not officially declaring his candidacy in 2020. And the early filing is apparently meant to give him a jump start on fundraising, not affecting nonprofits, etc. It's not incorrect to state that Trump has filed earlier than any previous candidate; just to state that the decision will have little to no effect on institutions that might criticize him.

http://docquery.fec.gov/pdf/569/201701209041436569/201701209041436569.pdf

RealLindaL

Thanks for clarifying, FT.

As for Papantonio, I don't personally know enough about his reliability and in-depth knowledge of particular political situations to necessarily take his word as valid. Just saying.

As for fundraising, amazing how many things Trump's loyal followers will forgive him for. He campaigned on being totally self-funded but that wasn't even true during the campaign. Going forward, will he end up in the pockets of the same wealthy interests he accused others of bowing to? And will his supporters care? Hell no.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

RealLindaL wrote:Thanks for clarifying, FT.  

As for Papantonio, I don't personally know enough about his reliability and in-depth knowledge of particular political situations to necessarily take his word as valid.  Just saying.

As for fundraising, amazing how many things Trump's loyal followers will forgive him for.  He campaigned on being totally self-funded but that wasn't even true during the campaign.  Going forward, will he end up in the pockets of the same wealthy interests he accused others of bowing to? And will his supporters care? Hell no.

I didn't realize the depth of hatred that has been fostered against President Obama. I don't listen to much talk radio, don't watch FOX, surely don't listen to Limbaugh. What I did see during the election was: the preacher from the Pace Assembly of God advocating for Trump as the only choice because of his hard line abortion stance...and a Phoenix priest doing the same (that one was sent to me by my Catholic cousin in Texas, who, at 75, should know better.

And now Trump and his cadre of misfits would like to do away with the Johnson Amendment, which prohibits political speech from the pulpit. I don't think there was much in the way of enforcement anyway, but changing the law will only open the floodgates to "Christian" domination of elections, because they think God is on their side. Sick, and decidedly not what Jesus taught.

Vikingwoman

Trump is easing the sanctions on Russia and in a few months will be completely lifting them. The Repugs are slow to acknowledge this collusion but watch and see. There is smoke in the air. Russia has him in their pocket and I smell impeachment in the distance.

RealLindaL

Doing away with the Johnson Amendment would be a major blow to protections under the First Amendment and I can only hope any attempt to do so would ignite a firestorm of protest. Sadly, were this issue to end up in SCOTUS I can picture con justices treating it the same way they did Citizens United.

RealLindaL

Vikingwoman wrote:I smell impeachment in the distance.

So many folks are saying that and I'd love to believe it, but honestly I don't see it, not with a Republican Congress, since they're the ones who'd have to do it. And while I realize Trump is an extreme type all his own, I can't help but remember that in our long national history only two U.S. presidents have ever been impeached, and none actually removed from office.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum