Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch

+3
2seaoat
Sal
Telstar
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

RealLindaL

PkrBum wrote:Fine... but you've got some work to do in the next election or two or three to change the tide.

Could be, but could also be that Trump's behavior will turn the tide all by his lonesome. We shall see.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Sal wrote:
2seaoat wrote:

Justices rarely are one dimensional.   I liked Scalia's scrutiny of the growing exceptions to the fourth amendment.  The nominee clerked for wizzard white who with renhquist was one of the two dissents on Roe vs Wade.  White was a fact based justice who used common sense and could swing back and forth between factions.  I think people will be surprised in ten years how this judge is ruling.   Justice Warren was appointed by Ike as a conservative......it is not that simple......Scalia actually was very progressive curtailing the government exclusions.   I think I need to read much more, but predict a byron white type justice which will make the far left and fascist very unhappy, but for common sense Americans he may be the answer.

Bullshit.

There's only 1,373 days until the next election.

It's only responsible to wait until then to select a replacement Justice.

Pay attention.

Love the concept but don't forget the midterms!! That's where the Dems fail to get their people out and it is so important. Got to get the House and Senate back!

28Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch 2/1/2017, 10:54 pm

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

It didn't matter who the president nominated. The Republicans have stolen the seat left open by the death of Scalia by not holding hearings on Garland. They made up a lame excuse that it was too near the end of Obama's term to let him fill it. This was nothing more than political. They said let the people decide who they want for the next president and then let that person nominate the next justice. Obama was elected and re-elected. The people had decided. The R's had the power to not hold a hearing so they disregarded the rules/law and blocked the nominee. Now they want the Democrats to play nice but I see resistance coming to this plan. I hope the Democrats hold this up as long as possible, four years if necessary.  

RealLindaL

othershoe1030 wrote:The R's had the power to not hold a hearing so they disregarded the rules/law and blocked the nominee. Now they want the Democrats to play nice but I see resistance coming to this plan. I hope the Democrats hold this up as long as possible, four years if necessary.  

I understand exactly how you feel and naturally feel the same, while also being deeply troubled that our nation has come to this sad state of affairs.

At this election we needed a true statesperson, a moderate of either party, someone with wisdom, stability, knowledge and experience, real charisma and diplomacy, a uniter, someone there was at least a fighting chance all Americans could rally around once the election was done, someone we could all be reasonably proud of and feel confident in. Where, oh where, was this person when we needed him or her, and will we ever find this person in all the land?

I thought we'd found it in Obama, and so did his many, many supporters, but apparently he wasn't what the nation needed. Wrong skin color for some. Still, while white, certainly Trump is the farthest from the ideal I've seen in all my years, and is already heading towards being the greatest divider ever known -- including dividing us from our allies.

I'm even more disturbed tonight, for instance, at hearing reports that Trump may've alienated yet another ally in Australia, and that Russia goes unchastised for actions in Ukraine while Flynn tosses empty threats at Iran.

I think psychologists are going to have a banner year fighting depression.

Telstar

Telstar

RealLindaL wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:The R's had the power to not hold a hearing so they disregarded the rules/law and blocked the nominee. Now they want the Democrats to play nice but I see resistance coming to this plan. I hope the Democrats hold this up as long as possible, four years if necessary.  

I understand exactly how you feel and naturally feel the same, while also being deeply troubled that our nation has come to this sad state of affairs.  

At this election we needed a true statesperson, a moderate of either party, someone with wisdom, stability, knowledge and experience, real charisma and diplomacy, a uniter, someone there was at least a fighting chance all Americans could rally around once the election was done, someone we could all be reasonably proud of and feel confident in.   Where, oh where, was this person when we needed him or her, and will we ever find this person in all the land?

I thought we'd found it in Obama, and so did his many, many supporters, but apparently he wasn't what the nation needed.  Wrong skin color for some.  Still, while white, certainly Trump is the farthest from the ideal I've seen in all my years, and is already heading towards being the greatest divider ever known -- including dividing us from our allies.

I'm even more disturbed tonight, for instance, at hearing reports that Trump may've alienated yet another ally in Australia, and that Russia goes unchastised for actions in Ukraine while Flynn tosses empty threats at Iran.  

I think psychologists are going to have a banner year fighting depression.

Fake president Trump is making good on his promise of change. He is tearing America asunder in the process.

RealLindaL

Telstar wrote:Fake president Trump is making good on his promise of change. He is tearing America asunder in the process.

Sadly so true. The Repubs thought Obama was divisive but no one has ever seen anything like what Trump is doing, and he's only just begun. We are in deep s--t trouble.

32Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch 2/2/2017, 11:23 am

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

The latest from the Twitter-verse:

Twitter MomentsVerified account ‏@TwitterMoments  2m2 minutes ago
More
The latest to come out of the SCOTUS nominee's high school yearbook: He founded his school's "Fascism Forever Club."

https://twitter.com/search?q=%22Fascism%20Forever%22&src=tren&data_id=tweet%3A827174308640206848

33Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch - Page 2 Empty Re: Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch 2/2/2017, 11:30 am

Sal

Sal

othershoe1030 wrote: He founded his school's "Fascism Forever Club."

A perfect fit.

RealLindaL

Sal wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote: He founded his school's "Fascism Forever Club."

A perfect fit.

Only trouble is, this is apparently not proven fact.   From the Snopes article, which terms the story "UNPROVEN":

We contacted Georgetown Preparatory School to verify whether a "Fascism Forever" club operated in or around that school in 1985, and director of communications Patrick Coyle told us that “no such club ever existed" there.

It could be the case that the yearbook entry was merely a joke that referenced a non-existent "Fascism Forever" club, or that such a club existed but was an informal and unofficial one not sanctioned by the school, but we've found no evidence documenting either of those possibilities yet either.

http://www.snopes.com/neil-gorsuchs-fascism-forever-club/

Folks, I've probably been guilty of this, too, but I think we need to be careful what we "put out there," to avoid being purveyors of fake news ourselves, no matter how inadvertently.  Snopes is not perfect but I think they're one of the best fact checkers out there, and it's obvious they're doing their level best to stay on top of things, surely a daunting task.

dumpcare

Memory's of the vietnam era flashed in my mind today with everything going on in the country and then seeing on FB some kid at GBHS ripped trump's picture off the wall with the other President's and back then if there was social media it would have come to a revolution. I can see that today it really might happen people will get hurt and some killed. Friends will no longer be friends, familiy's hating each other, etc.

Just watching TV Arnold S told trump to trade jobs and people could sleep easily. lol

Now reporting if the enemy knew they were coming to Yemen? They were ready despite the helicopter going down upon arrival.

Well I have nothing to say about the scotus pick, haven't read up on him and I trust he'll live to the rule of the law. But when I see someone say a certain judge will carryout what the framer's wanted I shake my head. How the hell can anyone know what they wanted? Go back in time?

2seaoat

This judge is qualified to serve. It could be ten fold worse.

RealLindaL

ppaca wrote:Memory's of the vietnam era flashed in my mind today with everything going on in the country and then seeing on FB some kid at GBHS ripped trump's picture off the wall with the other President's and back then if there was social media it would have come to a revolution. I can see that today it really might happen people will get hurt and some killed. Friends will no longer be friends, familiy's hating each other, etc.

Just watching TV Arnold S told trump to trade jobs and people could sleep easily. lol

Now reporting if the enemy knew they were coming to Yemen? They were ready despite the helicopter going down upon arrival.

Well I have nothing to say about the scotus pick, haven't read up on him and I trust he'll live to the rule of the law. But when I see someone say a certain judge will carryout what the framer's wanted I shake my head. How the hell can anyone know what they wanted? Go back in time?

Know what you mean in your first paragraph, ppaca, and find myself wondering how I can relate any longer to people who voted Trump and still support him.   And, while I, too, got a grin out of Arnold S.'s quip, it's too close to the mark.  Everyone in our circles we talk to is feeling disoriented and/or depressed.   And we simply cannot believe conservatives could've felt THIS bad, this unsettled, this fearful, when Obama was elected.  Could be wrong, but it's impossible to fathom.

Am also with you 100% in wondering "how the hell can anyone know what they wanted" hundreds of years ago now.   Sure, some things are patently obvious, but, when attempting to interpret intent in light of present-day issues, others are darkly veiled by time and the vast differences between our societies and ways of life, then vs. now.  

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:This judge is qualified to serve.   It could be ten fold worse.  

Or ten fold better. Your opinion is duly noted.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum