Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch

+3
2seaoat
Sal
Telstar
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch Empty Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch 1/31/2017, 9:06 pm

Telstar

Telstar

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/who-is-neil-gorsuch-bio-facts-background-political-views-234437

Sal

Sal

Who gives a fuck?  

I refuse to tune into his bread and circus show.

Organize.

Resist.

Filibuster.

The pubs will just extend the nuclear option to the scotus nominations. Turnabout is fairplay... right?

4Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch Empty Re: Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch 1/31/2017, 10:04 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Sal wrote:Who gives a fuck?  

I refuse to tune into his bread and circus show.

Organize.

Resist.

Filibuster.

Sounds like a lot of woman are unhappy with this.

5Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch Empty Re: Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch 1/31/2017, 10:05 pm

Sal

Sal

Of course, they will.

So, where's the downside?

6Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch Empty Re: Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch 1/31/2017, 10:07 pm

2seaoat

I called this a week ago. He has outstanding credentials and ample written record for a fair review by the senate. I think he will surprise some folks when he is on the bench and like Roberts, he is brilliant and young. He could be on the court the next thirty years and I am relieved that this is a mainstream scholar with a great record. I have a great deal of relief, and for the democrats to carelessly overlook a quality justice, opens the door for a crazy being jammed down their throats. I have not read any of his decisions, but I have good reports and will begin reading the next two weeks. This is a home run as some of the folks on that list were clearly not qualified for the high court.

7Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch Empty Re: Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch 1/31/2017, 10:09 pm

Telstar

Telstar

2seaoat wrote:I called this a week ago.  He has outstanding credentials and ample written record for a fair review by the senate.  I think he will surprise some folks when he is on the bench and like Roberts, he is brilliant and young.  He could be on the court the next thirty years and I am relieved that this is a mainstream scholar with a great record.   I have a great deal of relief, and for the democrats to carelessly overlook a quality justice, opens the door for a crazy being jammed down their throats.   I have not read any of his decisions, but I have good reports and will begin reading the next two weeks.   This is a home run as some of the folks on that list were clearly not qualified for the high court.

Fuck dead judge Scalia.

8Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch Empty Re: Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch 1/31/2017, 10:14 pm

Sal wrote:Of course, they will.

So, where's the downside?

You'll know when your hair catches on fire.

9Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch Empty Re: Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch 1/31/2017, 10:26 pm

2seaoat

[b]Fuck dead judge Scalia.[b]

Justices rarely are one dimensional. I liked Scalia's scrutiny of the growing exceptions to the fourth amendment. The nominee clerked for wizzard white who with renhquist was one of the two dissents on Roe vs Wade. White was a fact based justice who used common sense and could swing back and forth between factions. I think people will be surprised in ten years how this judge is ruling. Justice Warren was appointed by Ike as a conservative......it is not that simple......Scalia actually was very progressive curtailing the government exclusions. I think I need to read much more, but predict a byron white type justice which will make the far left and fascist very unhappy, but for common sense Americans he may be the answer.

10Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch Empty Re: Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch 1/31/2017, 10:29 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:[b]Fuck dead judge Scalia.[b]

Justices rarely are one dimensional.   I liked Scalia's scrutiny of the growing exceptions to the fourth amendment.  The nominee clerked for wizzard white who with renhquist was one of the two dissents on Roe vs Wade.  White was a fact based justice who used common sense and could swing back and forth between factions.  I think people will be surprised in ten years how this judge is ruling.   Justice Warren was appointed by Ike as a conservative......it is not that simple......Scalia actually was very progressive curtailing the government exclusions.   I think I need to read much more, but predict a byron white type justice which will make the far left and fascist very unhappy, but for common sense Americans he may be the answer.

Good...thanks Seaoat.

11Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch Empty Re: Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch 1/31/2017, 10:36 pm

Telstar

Telstar

Joanimaroni wrote:
2seaoat wrote:[b]Fuck dead judge Scalia.[b]

Justices rarely are one dimensional.   I liked Scalia's scrutiny of the growing exceptions to the fourth amendment.  The nominee clerked for wizzard white who with renhquist was one of the two dissents on Roe vs Wade.  White was a fact based justice who used common sense and could swing back and forth between factions.  I think people will be surprised in ten years how this judge is ruling.   Justice Warren was appointed by Ike as a conservative......it is not that simple......Scalia actually was very progressive curtailing the government exclusions.   I think I need to read much more, but predict a byron white type justice which will make the far left and fascist very unhappy, but for common sense Americans he may be the answer.

Good...thanks Seaoat.

Okay seaoat. So fuck Scalia twice.  Laughing

12Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch Empty Re: Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch 1/31/2017, 10:53 pm

Sal

Sal

2seaoat wrote:

Bullshit.

There's only 1,373 days until the next election.

It's only responsible to wait until then to select a replacement Justice.

Pay attention.

13Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch Empty Re: Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch 1/31/2017, 11:00 pm

Telstar

Telstar

MESSAGE TO DEMS: Block Gorsuch Nomination.

Democrats in Congress and progressive advocacy groups—incensed that the Republican-led Senate never acted on former President Barack Obama's nominee Merrick Garland—have vowed to fight Trump's pick. 

Once Gorsuch's name emerged, those cries grew louder.

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/01/31/message-dems-block-neil-gorsuch-nomination-using-all-available-means

14Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch Empty Re: Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch 1/31/2017, 11:22 pm

FAKE SOROS OUTRAGE

Even he knows that the pubs need only to extend the rules that the dems shoved down our throats.

15Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch Empty Re: Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch 1/31/2017, 11:46 pm

2seaoat

I predicted that the Democrats could delay, but I think this nominee is a very good nominee who is not locked into an ideology. I think the Republicans made a terrible mistake and were completely wrong for America for not appointing Garland a year ago, and I believe two wrongs do not make a right. This man is extremely talented. I will listen to criticism of his written decisions and I might add my criticism, but there were some folks on that list who were off the wall scary, and this is a chess game. Be careful to save your powder for a real fight, it will be coming. I suggested weeks ago that the democrats could simply allow the Supreme Court to drop to a lower number of justices by dragging their feet until four years expires, but that would be a mistake because this nominee is actually very good. White set a standard much like Kennedy who he also clerked for of not being locked into doctrine, and making sweeping changes in the law. I feel sometimes the over reaction is the same mistake that people attacked President Obama who I defended. Take a deep breath and read, and we will see.

RealLindaL

PkrBum wrote:FAKE SOROS OUTRAGE

Even he knows that the pubs need only to extend the rules that the dems shoved down our throats.

This, of course, ignores the HUGE insult and injury that the "pubs" shoved down everyone's throat including Obama's moderate, qualified nominee  himself, effectively stealing the nomination from Obama's administration WHERE IT RIGHTLY BELONGED AND YOU KNOW IT. All the noise in the world won't drown out that REALITY.

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:I predicted that the Democrats could delay, but I think this nominee is a very good nominee who is not locked into an ideology.   I think the Republicans made a terrible mistake and were completely wrong for America for not appointing Garland a year ago, and I believe two wrongs do not make a right.   This man is extremely talented.  I will listen to criticism of his written decisions and I might add my criticism, but there were some folks on that list who were off the wall scary, and this is a chess game.   Be careful to save your powder for a real fight, it will be coming.   I suggested weeks ago that the democrats could simply allow the Supreme Court to drop to a lower number of justices by dragging their feet until four years expires, but that would be a mistake because this nominee is actually very good.  White set a standard much like Kennedy who he also clerked for of not being locked into doctrine, and making sweeping changes in the law.  I feel sometimes the over reaction is the same mistake that people attacked President Obama who I defended.   Take a deep breath and read, and we will see.

You're right that two wrongs don't make a right, but I disagree on your estimation of Gorsuch.   He's reportedly a strict Constitutional originalist and I think that already makes him inflexible.  (I also think it's overreach to think anyone today can totally understand everything the original framers intended, nor does it make sense to ignore society's and humanity's progress and change.)  He's also someone who felt the need to mention his "faith" in his acceptance speech, and in my book that carries the real danger of making him an ideologue all by itself.   Trump promised a right-to-lifer in this nomination and, although there's apparently no record yet for Gorsuch on that score, what do you suppose the conversations were about during his interview(s) with Trump et al?  
Perhaps Gorsuch is the lesser of the evils on the list but I, for one, am skeptical.  And, if he is just to be seen as putting the court back where it was with Scalia, don't forget that the odds are with Trump's having at least one more pick, and conceivably two or three more, over the next four years.  Watch out, at the very least, for serious regression on social issues.

18Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch Empty Re: Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch 2/1/2017, 10:39 am

dumpcare

Apparently the stock market likes the scotus pick, way up this morning even mj stocks even though Session's is still on the table.

19Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch Empty Re: Trump Nominates Neil Gorsuch 2/1/2017, 12:41 pm

Sal

Sal

Obstruction should never be rewarded.

Period.

Drag out the conformation hearings out as long as possible, air every piece of dirty laundry this guy has, then force McConnell to blowup the filibuster.

Ummm... isn't that obstruction? Lol... what a partisan hack.

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:Ummm... isn't that obstruction? Lol... what a partisan hack.

Suddenly, you're not so big on playing by one set of rules anymore?

Hmmm ...

Sal wrote:
PkrBum wrote:Ummm... isn't that obstruction? Lol... what a partisan hack.

Suddenly, you're not so big on playing by one set of rules anymore?

Hmmm ...

I'm perfectly happy to. Just because you call dem obstruction "resisting" doesn't mean it's any different.

Your newspeak is obvious... and you seem oblivious to it... lol.

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:
I'm perfectly happy to.

Good.

Then, because Obama wasn't allowed to appoint a justice in the last year of his presidency, Trump shouldn't be allowed to appoint one in the last year of his.

RealLindaL

Sal wrote:
PkrBum wrote:
I'm perfectly happy to.

Good.

Then, because Obama wasn't allowed to appoint a justice in the last year of his presidency, Trump shouldn't be allowed to appoint one in the last year of his.

RIGHT. Agreed, Pkr?

Fine... but you've got some work to do in the next election or two or three to change the tide.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum