Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hey Linda....are you going to write a letter to the girlfriend's employer about her uppity attitude and disrespect of the police?

+3
Vikingwoman
RealLindaL
2seaoat
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Hallmarkgard wrote:Maybe a better question is "What do you want me to do?
"  Become a school mentor?  Or is that forcing my white world on a minority?  Rent my house to a minority for 200 a month?  Or is that placing them under my control?  Give a person a job?  Or is that as Sal says, Expecting  them to meet my standers for employment?  Work for a Minority? Or is that some how demeaning to them or maybe I have taken a job away from a Black person?   Honest question.

Hallmark, I think you're a great guy...I really do. What you do, as you must know by now, is deal with each incident as it presents itself. Let's do just be honest. Racism is a sickness, like agoraphobia. The cure is to face the demon and conquer it. And you don't have to diminish yourself in order to lift someone else up.

RealLindaL

[quote="Floridatexan"]Linda, I don't think we're miles apart at all.  I believe I did watch the whole thing...remember that his brother was in the background and making a general nuisance of himself.  Imagine if Lumon May had been arrested.  What would the PNJ do with that?  I don't believe that the officer had a reason to stop him.  His behavior would not prompt me to write a letter of condemnation...it really wouldn't.  I've had quite a few letters published by the PNJ, but now I'm not even a subscriber, because they've made it harder for the majority to afford their "news"; because they didn't keep the best and brightest on their staff; and because there is a certain slant that I don't appreciate.  That's my perception as a former ad rep and one-time member of the local Press Club.  

I have transcribed this for you.  I don't even know the name of the lady who gave this speech or the venue in which it was presented, but here is an excerpt:

"I want every white person in this room who would be happy to be treated as this society in general treats our citizens...our black citizens...if you, as a white person, would be happy to receive the same treatment that our black citizens do in this society, please stand.

You didn't understand the directions.  If you white folks want to be treated the way blacks are treated in this society, stand.

Nobody's standing here.

That says very plainly that you know what's happening.  You know you don't want it for you.  I want to know why you're so willing to accept it or to allow it to happen for others."/quote]

FT, first of all please let me correct a misconception that Seaoat may have inadvertently planted here, though I thought I had made it clear:  I did NOT write a letter to the PNJ complaining about Commissioner May; I wrote it to MY Commissioner Grover Robinson in an email.   And I made the large mistake of copying it here in a thread about the traffic stop and video that someone started at the time, to express my opinion to the forum members about Lumon's appalling behavior, which error I doubt I will ever make again when it comes to any matter involving a minority, for obvious reasons.  

The excerpt you posted above is totally understandable but also totally irrelevant to my entire point, which is that Commissioner May should be treated -- and judged -- by the EXACT SAME STANDARDS to which I would hold ANY OTHER COUNTY COMMISSIONER of ANY RACE -- and that's a higher standard than the average person of any race, because he's an elected official.   I would hope Lumon May would actually appreciate that, but I could be wrong, since I don't know him.

But look, once more, my entire point is NOT about the likelihood of an unfair, profiling traffic stop.  It IS about May's reaction thereto.  PERIOD.   Why is this so hard for you and others to grasp?  Remember what your mommy taught you?  Two wrongs do not make a right.

Too bad Micah X. Johnson didn't embrace that concept.

OK so you saw the whole video, or most of it, and you apparently weren't at all bothered by May's behavior; perhaps you even applauded it.  That does, in my book, put us miles apart, FT.

But I'll ask you one more time the questions you opted not to answer:

If so [if you did see the whole video], do you approve of the way he acted?  Do his attitude and behavior make you proud that he's a county commissioner in our area?

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I'm proud that we have a commissioner like Lumon May...yes. Sorry, I was babysitting for the last 3+ hours. I certainly wasn't trying to avoid your question. I believe actions speak louder than words, and some of our local representatives have been, or are now, much worse than what I saw on the video. And I still question the reason for the stop.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Why is the stop still a question.

May was legally stopped by an officer. She stated the dark tint caught her eye and she ran the plate. She has a legal right to run plates. The officer was unaware of the drivers race . There was NO way to tell the race or sex because of the dark tint, impossible to determine. May handled the situation inappropriately and he caused the escalation. The officer remained calm the entire time. 

May's behaviour was inexcusable. If I had pitched a hissy fit and had a relative stalking the cop I would have been arrested. 

RealLindaL

OK, FT, Lumon May could be a great commissioner and I'm glad you're happy with him, but he sure didn't make me proud in that instance.  I hope he does a wonderful job and that he's able to keep his fury in check in all future dealings for the duration.  It's that type of explosiveness that gets people making poor decisions.  

For some reason it obviously didn't bother you at all so I'm thinking maybe you're somehow more accustomed to that type of behavior.  I'm not and never will be.

That's why I say we're far apart on this, even though we may be closer on other issues.

I realize you still question the reason for the stop -- that you consider it suspicious -- but I do hope after my multiple reiterations you understand that my own concern about his behavior in those circumstances stands alone, without regard to whether or not the stop was just, because no commissioner should conduct himself that way whether it was or it wasn't. And I believe that his own apology is in concurrence with that sentiment.

And I see in a new post that came in as I was about to send this that Joani agrees and understands, thank goodness!  And I think she's absolutely right that she likely would've been arrested, skin color notwithstanding, as would you or I.

RealLindaL

Floridatexan wrote:Hallmark, I think you're a great guy...I really do.  What you do, as you must know by now, is deal with each incident as it presents itself.  Let's do just be honest.  Racism is a sickness, like agoraphobia.  The cure is to face the demon and conquer it.  And you don't have to diminish yourself in order to lift someone else up.

I would like to know one more thing, FT:  How many of us on this forum do you judge as being racist?  You said you didn't think I was, but I wonder.....how many are, in your estimation?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

RealLindaL wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:Hallmark, I think you're a great guy...I really do.  What you do, as you must know by now, is deal with each incident as it presents itself.  Let's do just be honest.  Racism is a sickness, like agoraphobia.  The cure is to face the demon and conquer it.  And you don't have to diminish yourself in order to lift someone else up.

I would like to know one more thing, FT:  How many of us on this forum do you judge as being racist?  You said you didn't think I was, but I wonder.....how many are, in your estimation?

She thinks I'm racist and I imagine all republicans on this site.

Vikingwoman

I personally don't care who she thinks is racist. I am one she thinks is also because I look at the behavior of the individual rather than their color as in the Martin and Bland cases. Anyone who thinks OJ is innocent certainly has issues w/ determining race as a factor, IMO. The bias is on her side.

Basically, in today's "adult" sandbox, the way to have the upper hand and power is to sit back and deem those you disagree with to be racist.

Shows lack of people skill. Also shows lack of confidence - the person who feels they are in the almighty seat of casting the racist card is full of themselves.

Love your neighbor as yourself.

Done with racism if you can do that.

Realize you are not the judge and jury - keep your inflammatory remarks to yourself.

Peace.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

cheers

Sal

Sal

I call bullshit.

When you say you have something to say about race relations, and then appoint yourself arbiter of acceptable African-American behavior through the use of a "and he was a credit to his race" story ...

... well, odds are you are a RACIST.

If you cannot see that, you are part of the problem.

Vikingwoman

You must have missed Hallmark's story of when he found out his daughter had signed up her brother for an black baseball team he exploded " What were you thinking?" LOL! How'd you like that FT?

Hallmarkgard

LOL  Sal and his bride(Ms Viking) have to really live in a dream world where everything is based on "Racism"   I suspect that both of them are married to Black Partners.  Not that it is a bad thing.  LOL

Vikingwoman

But it certainly couldn't be a good thing, could it Hallmark? LOL! Fraid not. Has never been a black face in our family ever as far as I know. I come from a white Anglo Saxon Irish Catholic and newly discovered Jewish ancestry. My father, grandparents and relatives were all racists on my father's side. Always told to stay away from the "guthies" or they would get you!

Hallmarkgard

I guess I was 1/2 wrong. Have to wait for Sal to check in...

The race card is just a coping mechanism for the intelectually lazy and ideologically clueless.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Joanimaroni wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

I believe you're allowed to express your opinions here, but I don't believe you're allowed to express mine.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

SheWrites wrote:Basically, in today's "adult" sandbox, the way to have the upper hand and power is to sit back and deem those you disagree with to be racist.

Shows lack of people skill.  Also shows lack of confidence - the person who feels they are in the almighty seat of casting the racist card is full of themselves.

Realize you are not the judge and jury - keep your inflammatory remarks to yourself.  

Peace.

If your remarks are directed at me, I haven't called anyone a racist. I have only pointed out the systemic racism in our community and in our society. I see you don't live by your own mantra.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

PkrBum wrote:The race card is just a coping mechanism for the intelectually lazy and ideologically clueless.

You should know.

Hallmarkgard

Vikingwoman wrote:You must have missed Hallmark's story of when he found out his daughter had signed up her brother for an black baseball team he exploded " What were you thinking?" LOL! How'd you like that FT?

Very good.  I am glad you read that part....I have had to rethink many of my ideas and thoughts  about. race.  But not everything is about race.  I was not happy about having  my son play baseball in the middle of the Ghetto at McGee field.  At that time it wasn’t even a very safe place for blacks, might as well white people.  If I had been a Racist I would have said "Hell NO!!" and signed him up with a all white team.  I had the choice.  You missed the fact that both my children did not see race as a issue. 

I am not perfect.  It has been an ongoing struggle to view the world in a sane manner.  Remember I once lived in an environment where race was not a big deal.  If I was to expound more on my relationships with Blacks, I am sure that people like Mr Sal, would call Bull Shit and demean my character for even attempting to explain my actions

I know who I am.  My family and friends know who I am.  I can live with that

RealLindaL

Floridatexan wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:
RealLindaL wrote:

I believe you're allowed to express your opinions here, but I don't believe you're allowed to express mine.

Gotta admit that's a pretty swift answer.   (Also a great dodge, btw - lol).
{{pokes FT in the ribs}}     Laughing

RealLindaL

Floridatexan wrote:I haven't called anyone a racist.  I have only pointed out the systemic racism in our community and in our society.  I see you don't live by your own mantra.

OK, I must've misinterpreted your remark to Hallmark about racism's being a sickness. Could've sworn you were talking to his own illness, about how to overcome it. No??

RealLindaL

Hallmarkgard wrote:I am not perfect.  It has been an ongoing struggle to view the world in a sane manner.  Remember I once lived in an environment where race was not a big deal.  If I was to expound more on my relationships with Blacks, I am sure that people like Mr Sal, would call Bull Shit and demean my character for even attempting to explain my actions

Sadly, I'm afraid you're right about the likelihood of the B.S. label, Hallmark.  Doesn't quite encourage open and honest discussion, does it?  Still, I'm glad you're opening up here the way you are.  I think it's admirable and enlightening, not to mention refreshing -- and hope you won't quit.

RealLindaL

Hallmarkgard wrote:I know who I am.  My family and friends know who I am.  I can live with that

Good for you.   Hang onto that always.  Even though I don't know you personally, I have to believe FT is right about one thing -- you're a very good person.

Floridatexan wrote:
SheWrites wrote:Basically, in today's "adult" sandbox, the way to have the upper hand and power is to sit back and deem those you disagree with to be racist.

Shows lack of people skill.  Also shows lack of confidence - the person who feels they are in the almighty seat of casting the racist card is full of themselves.

Peace.

If your remarks are directed at me, I haven't called anyone a racist.  I have only pointed out the systemic racism in our community and in our society.  I see you don't live by your own mantra.

If I am speaking to someone personally on the forum, I address them by name.

This was an open post stating my general opinion.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum