Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Once Again Mr. Markle is wrong on a subject as renewable wind could produce 1/3 of our energy needs in 24 years

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

2seaoat

http://www.theatlantic.com/sponsored/siemens-2016/winds-across-america/924/?sr_source=lift_outbrain

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

2seaoat wrote:http://www.theatlantic.com/sponsored/siemens-2016/winds-across-america/924/?sr_source=lift_outbrain

That was an interesting video, Seaoat. The march toward renewable energy is unstoppable. I happen to be pro-petroleum and am not a climate-change fanatic. I am a believer in the theory of Peak Oil, and that the world needs to move to renewable energy during the 21st Century as accessible petroleum sources largely play themselves out by around 2100.

The future of energy is in electricity. Electricity is not an energy source, but rather is an energy carrier. Electricity can be sourced from multiple sources, i.e., hydro, wind, nuclear, fossil-fuels, geothermal,and solar. The future will include declining fossil-fuel use to generate power and increasing all other means, to include direct solar absorption. The internal combustion engine will be viewed as obsolete and inefficient as electric motors replace these. Storage of electricity will be solved by advanced lithium batteries--this technology is already advancing.

We will still need petroleum in the interim, and on into the future--with one day the stuff not being wasted by burning it as fuel, but being used to make the building materials for renewable energy initiatives.

I am looking forward to the advent of the fusion reactor, which defense company Lockheed Martin is furtively working on. That technology will one day lead to space propulsion systems other than using rocketry, which will be our means to start colonizing outer space. If you thought Star Trek was merely fiction, guess again.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

The potential wind power in America is 9 times our current use, and all we need is transmission lines. We need to give incentives and subsidy to utilities to allow energy to be moved around this country. The beauty of the midwest boom of Wind Turbines is if we are attacked, our enemies are not going to easily knock out our production facilities which are spread all over the countryside. The idea that 1/3 of our electricity will be generated by wind, where most of wind is manufactured right here in America, and pays property taxes to the local school districts, and is buffered by miles and miles of agricultural land is a home run which folks like Mr. Markle five years ago was telling us was a bunch of Greenies wasting money.....nope.....it is corporate America who has gone renewable. The cost of wind has now dropped below the current low price of natural gas.....that is why the Nuclear plants are going to be mothballed. When coupled with Natural gas peaker plants there is no reason to burn coal once solar begins to expand as the costs of the same are scaled.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

2seaoat wrote:.....nope.....it is corporate America who has gone renewable.

The government is slowly heading that way, too, Seaoat. I was looking at satellite imagery of NAS Whiting Field the other day, and was very surprised to see the building that houses HT-8 and HT-18 (where I worked from 1981-1984) is now covered with solar panels, with a pedestal mounted solar-bank to the north of the building (note arrows on the photo below):

Once Again Mr. Markle is wrong on a subject as renewable wind could produce 1/3 of our energy needs in 24 years 3011

2seaoat

The cost of solar keeps dropping. I still want to do a solar project on the islands, and have checked the prices for a small cabin system, and it is amazing how in the last 10 years the price has dropped. I can see the day where a county could have as part of their building code a requirement of passive solar in any new construction. I imagine that by 2050 that solar and wind will by far be the largest producer of electricity in America.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

2seaoat wrote:The cost of solar keeps dropping.  I still want to do a solar project on the islands, and have checked the prices for a small cabin system, and it is amazing how in the last 10 years the price has dropped.   I can see the day where a county could have as part of their building code a requirement of passive solar in any new construction.   I imagine that by 2050 that solar and wind will by far be the largest producer of electricity in America.

One day, solar will be as standard in new home construction as a water heater and HVAC systems now are. You will see this occur before 2050. These trends are unstoppable, and will withstand all of the rants against them by the Markles of this world.

Markle

Markle

Once Again Mr. Markle is wrong on a subject as renewable wind could produce 1/3 of our energy needs in 24 years LOL_zpsrc5py0ql

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

That's your comment? Pathetic.

2seaoat

He knows he has been wrong on this issue for five years pandering the propaganda of oil and coal....It is remarkable what farm land looks like south of Dekalb Illinois and around Pontiac Illinois. Farmers are making about 9k a year on each turbine on their property, and the school districts are having new sources of local industry as the property taxes locally are funding programs. There are Natural Gas Peaker plants everywhere, and Commonwealth Edison is talking about shuttering a billions of dollars of Nuclear because with fracking the supply of Natural Gas at low pricing is almost endless, while second generation nuclear is a decade out.....coal trains are being replaced by oil tank cars bringing American oil to refineries all over the country......huge change in our balance of payments. Thank you President Obama for supporting renewables both when you were a senator and President.......like President Obama and Hillary would be held responsible for putting the buggy whip folks out of business when the auto was invented......you cannot handicap stupidity.....no strokes can be given to those folks to make a discussion even close to fair.

Markle

Markle

Always good for a laugh.

A few years back, my good friend 2seaoat was attempting to convince us all that solar would be taking over in fewer than five years.  Prices were plunging (they were not) and investing in solar was the way to go.

Did not happen, not even close.

Now 2seaoat has stretched that out for DECADES where he can possibly be proven wrong as we'll all be dead.

Al Gore should have thought of that but then, that wouldn't have served his purpose of selling... carbon credits (nothing) to other immensely wealthy people so they felt better about their 30,000 sq. ft. houses and multiple personal private jets.

2seaoat

Wrong again......for five years I have talked about wind, and contrary to the propaganda you were posting that it was greenies, I argued it was large corporations and utility companies who were getting power for less than the cost of natural gas from wind......not some future, but right then......you countered that the only reason wind was booming was subsidy.......a big duh......totally wrong once again......totally trying to change the subject to me promoting solar when my focus was always the wind I was actually watching being built all over the country. However, solar is going to be slower, but it too will explode.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

2seaoat wrote:Wrong again......for five years I have talked about wind, and contrary to the propaganda you were posting that it was greenies, I argued it was large corporations and utility companies who were getting power for less than the cost of natural gas from wind......not some future, but right then......you countered that the only reason wind was booming was subsidy.......a big duh......totally wrong once again......totally trying to change the subject to me promoting solar when my focus was always the wind I was actually watching being built all over the country.  However, solar is going to be slower, but it too will explode.

My BIL is running large scale solar jobs around the country. It's hard, dirty work. BTW, he said Hispanics are some of his best workers. He also said the jobs are hard to bid.

2seaoat

I think solar is a slower process than wind. Wind delivers electricity below Natural gas prices, and natural gas pricing has destroyed the coal industry. Utilities love wind and natural gas. Virtually zero pollution and where transmission lines are near like northern Illinois this added capacity is pennies on the dollars to having to expand nuclear which lead all the states. Mr. Markle was simply wrong, and I pointed this out to him five years ago and he doubled down. In regard to bird kills, the new illinois turbines almost have 159 foot blades which turn incredibly slow.....birds are not a problem from forty years ago when small high speed blades were killing the same. Mr. Markle thinks filling the world with pollution is the solution. My wife and I both remember as children the burning of coal at our parent's business which was dirty and primitive. When one sees these new gigantic wind turbines which are clean and quiet, you realize how great clean renewable energy production can be.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

Markle wrote:Always good for a laugh.

A few years back, my good friend 2seaoat was attempting to convince us all that solar would be taking over in fewer than five years.  Prices were plunging (they were not) and investing in solar was the way to go.

Did not happen, not even close.

Now 2seaoat has stretched that out for DECADES where he can possibly be proven wrong as we'll all be dead.

Al Gore should have thought of that but then, that wouldn't have served his purpose of selling... carbon credits (nothing) to other immensely wealthy people so they felt better about their 30,000 sq. ft. houses and multiple personal private jets.

What other input would you expect from someone who idolizes coal mining and big fossil fuel producers, regardless of the thousands of fellow Americans who will be poisoned, one way or another, by the emissions and mining methods employed?

Listen to Markle: "Lead in your drinking water is good for you, just like DDT."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum