Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Blues Cancelling Many Shows Due to Crash

+5
no stress
knothead
2seaoat
RealLindaL
ZVUGKTUBM
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 6]

2seaoat

Stopping wasteful and unnecessary military airshows, cutting the defense budget so we defend America, but do not export war is not foolish, but the right thing to do. However, like I said enjoy the bread and circus, and pretend we need the same for our defense.....we do not. How about a novel idea. If a community wants bread and circus......let them pay for it......figure 50 shows a year, or two million a show. Just sell 50k tickets at forty bucks and let the money saved actually be used to defend America.......but then again there is a tradition on the beach of not paying for services received with tax dollars, so lets just have America foot the bill for bread and circus.

Hallmarkgard

115 million? I have a better idea. Lets close all the Nation Cemeteries. I mean hell why should we honour "Merchants of Death'? We could save a cool 500 million..."The VA operates 131 national cemeteries, at an annual cost of approximately $500 million."

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:but then again there is a tradition on the beach of not paying for services received with tax dollars.

Total and completely typical beach-people-hater B.S., from a "reformed smoker" (former beach leaseholder who's now better than the rest of us).

Newsflash: If it weren't for Pensacola Beach leaseholders' annual lease fees, there wouldn't be any Blue Angels show (or any other event, for that matter) on this beach.

2seaoat

So to be against war and sending more kids into harms way, it logically follows that those who were the raw meat of the MIC should be punished by the country.......splendid logic Hallmark.....try as you may to make anti war now anti victim, your rationalizations are illogical. 110 million dollars spent appropriately for America could save lives and build our GDP......it is criminal in 2016 after killing innocents from the sky while invading a country which did NOTHING to America, and setting ablaze the middle east where hundreds of thousands of men, women, and children died because of MIC, and propping up the Saudis as if our kids were foreign servants in their home......yea....wanting to stop war is analogous to closing graveyards....splendid hyperbole.

Linda, expecting folks to pay for things with tax dollars was a controversial idea on the beach, and it still is, so pleassssssseeeee do not try to make people haters when they suggest folks should pay property taxes and military air shows should be funded privately by those who want to view the same, rather than once again the taxpayers paying for the bread and circus.

Hallmarkgard

News Flash!!!  I, and millions of
others pay taxes that fund the Air shows.....Many of us think it is a good thing....It is my tax dollars at work.  I like it  Smile

2seaoat

Newsflash.....do not be surprised when we enter a new war in the next few years which kills thousands of American kids and makes wonderful profits for MIC.........and our national graveyards can have a steady supply of raw meat where children are brainwashed that war is acceptable and the tools of war are cool......especially when they are blowing smoke out their rear......kind of like defending military air shows.....lots of smoke.......but enjoy the bread and circus.

Hallmarkgard

War is not acceptable? No defence is the best defence? If you really want to make a difference have a fit about the millions that play first person War games like Black ops, etc

https://www.vg247.com/2014/08/06/best-fps-ever/

https://www.vg247.com/2014/08/06/best-fps-ever/

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Hallmarkgard wrote:I am sure the plating shop did a hell of job on the  environment.  Cyanide, acids etc.. Nasty stuff.

Did you ever see the oil/water separator they had down in the swamp adjacent to Building 648/649 (with pipes leading down to it from the building)? We found it in 1993, and there is an interesting story surrounding it. On the south side of the swamp is a large concrete potable water tank, that holds drinking water for the base (comes from 3 wells on Cory Station--groundwater at NASP has too much iron in it to drink). Somewhere along the way (likely a couple of decades previously, at least), an overflow valve at the water tank malfunctioned, and water started gushing out of this valve and down through a pipe that led to that swampy depression. A pond formed, which attracted beavers. They built a couple of large dams, which formed a bigger pond. The pond silted-in over many years, and covered up that oil-water separator, which we termed the "waste-receiving structure." We would partially tear down the beaver dams by hand to drain the pond so we could see the waste-receiving structure, and the beavers would rebuild the main dam over night. We finally ran a bulldozer in there and bull-dozed the dam away. One of our employees then used geophysical equipment to trace the buried overflow pipe back up to the potable water tank. We then notified Public Works of the issue with the stuck overflow valve, which they fixed. They later sent a letter of appreciation to my company for finding their stuck valve, which I am sure cost them billions of gallons of water.

In 1994, we took some heavy equipment and dug the waste receiving structure out of the mud and removed all of the piping leading down to it... It was crafted from a jet-engine shipping container.

We drilled groundwater monitoring wells all over the Building 648/659 complex. I do not think we found any major plumes of contaminants floating on the water table there.

The Navy spent about $100M addressing environmental issues at NASP during the 1990s, and there really was not that much contamination found. There are a couple of plumes of chlorinated solvents in 2-3 isolated areas (one caused by the former plating shop), and the selected remedy was Monitored Natural Attenuation, which is let the soil bacteria take care of it over time.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Hallmarkgard

Here is your problem!!!  And it aint the Military.. ...for a woman with a handgun..Gee-zus  Blues Cancelling Many Shows Due to Crash - Page 3 J6smc4

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/2016/06/10/swat-standoff-midway/85696776/

Last edited by Hallmarkgard on 6/10/2016, 2:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

Hallmarkgard

My Grand father, Norman Redding, used to run the waste treatment plant. Late 50s, early 60s When they put all the plating chemicals an other junk, cyanide etc into the system, it would mess up the "Digester" at the plant. So they used to call him and he would by pass it out into the bay. Sound terrible now, but that is the way it worked

2seaoat

In a militarized society it is both which are the problem. The young kids flocking to Bernie get it......so it may be twenty years before those brainwashed that we can only survive by feeding MIC pass on, but in the meanwhile every citizen has to question and not accept authoritarian tyranny, and budgets which are controlled by MIC to enrich a few and scare Americans into frightened children.

Z.....I hate Beavers. The old saying of eager beaver is an understatement. They are hard working destructive animals who have taken down some beautiful trees, built their dams and blocked our flows, but the worst part.....they slap their tails at me when I drive by.....I want beaver hats to become popular again.

Hallmarkgard

Red Cross stores a lot of their stuff in 648.  I went there to help them a few years ago.  It was spooky being where all the work that used be. r.  By the way, in back of 649 is where the wreckage of the Blues Angels that have crashed are stored.  Used be 3 or 4 of them there last time I checked..

RealLindaL

2seaoat wrote:Linda, expecting folks to pay for things with tax dollars was a controversial idea on the beach, and it still is, so pleassssssseeeee do not try to make people haters when they suggest folks should pay property taxes and military air shows should be funded privately by those who want to view the same, rather than once again the taxpayers paying for the bread and circus.

You know perfectly well why paying property taxes was "a controversial idea," to put it mildly, when people were already paying lease fees and did not own diddly squat out here - neither land nor buildings.  Do we really want to rehash that old battle?  GAWD I hope not.   It would take about three more threads and I'm sick of it.   You know my position was always "tax me, title me."  Nevertheless at present I'm paying property taxes on both land and house I do not own, plus now 50% of my annual lease fee, which is a long sight more than Navarre Beach people are paying with their token $250 a year leases.   We shall see what the future holds.

As for taxpayers underwriting the Blue Angels, how's about we put it on the ballot in November, see how many Americans want to quit paying for the shows?  Hallmark will vote no.  I will vote no.   Joani too, I'm betting.

And Hallmark, just so you know, I do realize the taxpayers nationally fund the cost of maintaining the Blue Angels team; what many people in this area [and in Illinois] don't realize is that Pensacola Beach lease fees pay 100% of the entire local cost of putting on the event -- set-up, security & safety, clean-up, and who knows what-all else -- which cost, my failing memory tells me, is something in the neighborhood of $150,000 per year.  So much for our not wanting to pay for services rendered. And that's just one example.  The entire SRIA operations not yet taken over by the county are funded by PBeach lease fees, and those the county has assumed (Public Safety & Public Works on PBeach) are paid by our property taxes.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Hallmarkgard wrote:Red Cross stores a lot of their stuff in 648.  I went there to help them a few years ago.  It was spooky being where all the work that used be. r.  By the way, in back of 649 is where the wreckage of the Blues Angels that have crashed are stored.  Used be 3 or 4 of them there last time I checked..

I think 648 and 649 were razed to rubble in the late 1990s--maybe a few years later, but I remember seeing empty lots and a pile of masonry at some point. I don't go on the base much any more.

In 1995, when NADEP suddenly closed down, an electrical contractor had been doing a complete overhaul of those buildings AC systems and electrical. They just kept on working, installing all sorts of new wiring and equipment, even though the buildings had been essentially mothballed (of course, they had a contract.....). All of that new equipment likely wound up in the rubble heap when the buildings were razed. Typical U.S. government operation at its best!

2seaoat

Z could you show where these buildings were that you are talking about using google maps?

Hallmarkgard

648 was where we called "on the hill". It was at the end of the golf driving range.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

2seaoat wrote:Z could you show where these buildings were that you are talking about using google maps?

Okay, I have to eat a little crow here... The buildings are still there. It may be that there was a partial demolition instead of a full one. I do remember seeing perhaps a portion of the complex down. Building 648/649 are circled, with an arrow pointing to it. The bottom arrow points to Wetland 5; the swampy are south of the complex, where we removed the waste-receiving structure in 1994.

Blues Cancelling Many Shows Due to Crash - Page 3 3010

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

The buildings were along Murray road, a bit north of Chevalier Field.

Hallmarkgard

I cant do a screen shot but if you look close you can see a Blue Angel Plane in between the buildings he has marked...... If you could drive a golf ball about 450 yards you could hit the building  from the driving range....Maybe this will work if you click it
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3596779,-87.2767893,87m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3596513,-87.2767149,37m/data=!3m1!1e3

knothead

knothead

Hallmarkgard wrote:I cant do a screen shot but if you look close you can see a Blue Angel Plane in between the buildings he has marked...... If you could drive a golf ball about 450 yards you could hit the building  from the driving range....Maybe this will work if you click it
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3596779,-87.2767893,87m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.3596513,-87.2767149,37m/data=!3m1!1e3

Hallmark, is that a FA-18 Hornet? Hard to tell, I see the twin engines which almost assures it being a Hornet but the front is so damaged it is difficult.

Hallmarkgard

I think so...  Scroll up a little and you can see the stripped out fuselage of another one.  There use to be a couple of F4s but I dont see them  It has been about 6 or 7 years since I have been there...

Hallmarkgard

RealLindaL

OH, man, Hallmark, that was a real tear jerker. So very sad, but beautiful, too. Thank you so much for sharing

2seaoat

I guess there are plenty of tears to go around.....

Hallmarkgard

Yea.... I remember when the Blues did that. Good find...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum