Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NOAA - Hottest August, Hottest Summer, Hottest Year to Date ...

+2
boards of FL
Sal
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Sal

Sal

There's been no pause.

There's been no hiatus.

That's been disproved in this very thread.

Here it is again, Ol' Man Markle ....

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2015/september/global-warming-hiatus-091715.html

But, I guess you have to make the tough choice of whether to believe the research of the experts at Stanford University or the Climate Depot - a blog funded by ExxonMobil.

Hahahahahahaha ....

Here ya go, Ol' Man Markle ...

NOAA - Hottest August, Hottest Summer, Hottest Year to Date ... - Page 2 Bonbon-dbfbe36b2ab7e3e46f8bdbc19fcc3ada

The ipcc had to acknowledge the "hiatus" until this latest data torture. There were over 50 attempts before it.

Sal

Sal

There are always anomalies in complex scientific research.

When anomalies are identified, it is a call for the scientific community to reexamine all the elements of the research.

Here, they found some small issues with the fidelity of some observations and models.

Upon examination of the issues, flaws are identified and adjusted, and it is often the case that the anomalies moderate or come back into line.

Rarely do such small anomalies lead to a paradigm shift.

This is how science works.

Unless, that is, you're a random internet guy reading a blog funded by ExxonMobil.

Hahahahahaha ....

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Salinsky wrote:

Here ya go, Ol' Man Markle

NOAA - Hottest August, Hottest Summer, Hottest Year to Date ... - Page 2 Bonbon-dbfbe36b2ab7e3e46f8bdbc19fcc3ada

I know this will reveal my ignorance. But I've seen you post that cough drop picture as a reply to something about a hundred times now. And I still don't get what the message of it is. Can you spell that out for the ignorant like me. lol

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
Salinsky wrote:

Here ya go, Ol' Man Markle

I know this will reveal my ignorance.  But I've seen you post that cough drop picture as a reply to something about a hundred times now.  And I still don't get what the message of it is.  Can you spell that out for the ignorant like me.  lol

It's not a cough drop, it's a soft caramel flavored candy that is popular with the octogenarian set.

It seems to soothe him when his feathers are ruffled.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

God I'm not far away from octogenarian stuff.  But I sure hope I don't have to eat caramel when I get there.  I hate caramel.  When I'm trick or treating,  I'm praying the candy is not caramel.  
I hope that by the time I get there,  the Octogenarian police will permit me to have M&M's instead. And preferably the peanut verison.
Whoops,  make that without peanuts.  I've got the beginnings of diverticulitis and they told me to avoid those.

2seaoat

Bob,
In high school I had a semester economics course. My instructor was giving an example of comparative advantage when trading beaver pelts for bushels of corn. He would continually just use the word beaver when giving his examples. The guys in the class were hooting and howling after the instructor had said some funny things about Beavers......when a girl in the class raised her hand and asked......what is so funny about a Beaver? Sometimes humor does not easily translate, and trying to explain to someone why something is funny is usually an exercise in futility, because what is funny to one is not understood by another. I will let Boards explain, but when Mr. Markle runs away from an issue he almost always posts a graphic or cartoon which is suppose to be funny......Boards posting the "original" candy not cough drop is funny on many levels which like the Beaver comment just I guess has to be understood or not.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Bob,
In high school I had a semester economics course.  My instructor was giving an example of comparative advantage when trading beaver pelts for bushels of corn.  He would continually just use the word beaver when giving his examples.  The guys in the class were hooting and howling after the instructor had said some funny things about Beavers......when a girl in the class raised her hand and asked......what is so funny about a Beaver?  Sometimes humor does not easily translate, and trying to explain to someone why something is funny is usually an exercise in futility, because what is funny to one is not understood by another.  I will let Boards explain, but when Mr. Markle runs away from an issue he almost always posts a graphic or cartoon which is suppose to be funny......Boards posting the "original" candy not cough drop is funny on many levels which like the Beaver comment just I guess has to be understood or not.

I don't have any difficulty getting the beaver comment,  seaoat.

But the Werther Original picture is not the same thing.  

Whenever a professional comic is conceiving a joke,  one of his most important considerations is making sure most of his audience will understand the references he makes.  If they don't,  then of course the joke will be lost on them.
In this case,  the only way I understood Sal's reference to the candy,  is after you wrote a long paragraph to explain the context of it.  And when a comic is on stage,  he doesn't have the benefit of you standing there and explaining the references to the audience.  The references he makes need to be familiar enough to the audience already so they can get the joke.

Stick to law and science and all the other stuff you have expertise on, seaoat. Comedy is not one of those.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:
In high school I had a semester economics course.  My instructor was giving an example of comparative advantage when trading beaver pelts for bushels of corn.  He would continually just use the word beaver when giving his examples.  The guys in the class were hooting and howling after the instructor had said some funny things about Beavers......when a girl in the class raised her hand and asked......what is so funny about a Beaver?  Sometimes humor does not easily translate, and trying to explain to someone why something is funny is usually an exercise in futility, because what is funny to one is not understood by another.  I will let Boards explain, but when Mr. Markle runs away from an issue he almost always posts a graphic or cartoon which is suppose to be funny......Boards posting the "original" candy not cough drop is funny on many levels which like the Beaver comment just I guess has to be understood or not.

Whenever a professional comic is conceiving a joke,  one of his most important considerations is making sure most of his audience will understand the references he makes.  If they don't,  then of course the joke will be lost on them.
In this case,  the only way I understood Sal's reference to the candy,  is after you wrote a long paragraph to explain the context of it.  And when a comic is on stage,  he doesn't have the benefit of you standing there and explaining the references to the audience.  The references he makes need to be familiar enough to the audience already so they can get the joke.

Stick to law and science and all the other stuff you have expertise on,  seaoat.  Comedy is not one of those.  

2seaoat

Sometimes an audience is only part of it.....sometimes its about smiling yourself, and if some get it so be it. I watch Larry the Cable guy.....I think I get his humor, but sometimes I simply do not find it funny. I saw him visit Palin's Alaska home and the excitement of the Palin family to have Larry the Cable guy visit was obvious.....I did not get what was funny about much of his humor, but they worshiped him.......and I think I will pass on a Palin explanation of why Larry is funny.

Sal

Sal

boards of FL wrote:
Bob wrote:

Stick to law and science and all the other stuff you have expertise on,  seaoat.  Comedy is not one of those.  

Hahahahahaha ...

... perfect.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal, if you ever go on a late night tv show to do your comedy, and you're telling a joke about geezers ("octegenarians"), and the punchline you give is "Werther's Originals", all I can say is don't expect Carson or Letterman or Leno or Fallon or Kimmel to ever have you back again. Because they aint gonna see that punchline being "perfect" like you do. lol

2seaoat

So Kaufman never was successful?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:So Kaufman never was successful?

Are you referring to Andy Kaufman?  If so I don't understand the comparison so you'll have to explain that too.

You folks need to stop talking in riddles.  It's a cute way to write replies and all,  but it's not conducive to effective communication.
Leave the riddles to the Batman and Robin tv show.  It worked there.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Andy Kaufman was a unique performer.  Nothing he did was like anyone else ever did before him or has ever done after him.

I'll never forget seeing that episode of the tv show "Fridays" when he did that now legendary bit.  I watched it live.  It had my mind reeling.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

And by the way,  Kaufman also completely understood professional wrestling and how it was a template for so much of the rest of our society.
An argument can be made that the comedy he did was just a variation of it.
And I'm not referring to the actual wrestling he did. But the rest of his comedy as well.

Last edited by Bob on 9/18/2015, 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total

boards of FL

boards of FL

Bob wrote:Sal,  if you ever go on a late night tv show to do your comedy,  and you're telling a joke about geezers ("octegenarians"),   and the punchline you give is "Werther's Originals",  all I can say is don't expect Carson or Letterman or Leno or Fallon or Kimmel to ever have you back again.  Because they aint gonna see that punchline being "perfect" like you do.  lol

2seaoat

I did not think I was posting riddles, but simple concepts that what is funny to one may not be funny to another, and the younger folks on this forum do get amusement from us oldsters Bob, and maybe you do not find the oldsters funny but we are funny, my grandchildren laugh at me all the time......kids response to aging is honest and immediate.

2seaoat

Wow.....that was spooky that the commercial was posted right before I posted my response to Bob.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

For the last 60 years I've watched so much television and so many television commercials that my eyes are often bleeding from it.  And I have no recollection of seeing that commercial.  

I can see where Mr. Whipple squeezing the Charmin could work for a punchline. But again,  that candy commercial might be a little too obscure.  
And if you can show me where Andy Kaufman ever made reference to Werther's Originals, you'll make me a believer. lol

2seaoat

Yes......that is the ticket.....humor must be copied for some to understand.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

You brought one of my all-time heroes into this conversation, seaoat.
Let's cut the crap with this ludicrous conversation and watch him in action.

When you open this video, skip past all the preliminary crap and move the time counter to the 4:34 mark and begin watching it there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1f2_01URYQ

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

As I think about it, that has to be the very first time anybody used the word "motherfucker" on television. Any television. lol

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:As I think about it,  that has to be the very first time anybody used the word "motherfucker" on television.  Any television.  lol

I bet George Carlin preceded him.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Salinsky wrote:
Bob wrote:As I think about it,  that has to be the very first time anybody used the word "motherfucker" on television.  Any television.  lol

I bet George Carlin preceded him.

I just did some googling and discovered you're correct,  Sal.

Carlin first did his "7 words you can't say on television" routine on television (HBO) in 1977.  He introduced the routine on his comedy album, "Class Clown", in 72.

But I also learned that Lenny Bruce used the word on stage even before Carlin.  In a 1966 performance,  Bruce was arrested for saying that and eight other offensive words in one of his performances.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum