Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

So you think the real problem in America is politicians or racism or police or liberalism or conservatism or Trump or Hillary or Bush or "the elite" or the "stiffs" or "the media" or communism or Sarah Palin or religious nuts or gay marriage or abortion?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Nah,  those are all problems allright,  but here is the REAL problem with our country.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Pretty pathetic but not totally unexpected. I wonder, I think no doubt the people on the street could have done better coming up with a name of a member of congress if they'd been given the hint that a member of Congress was like, you know a senator or a representative? Surely they've all heard of Senator McCain?!

I suppose this is supposed to be an excuse for why we have a congress owned by the corporations and a handful of rich people?

othershoe1030 wrote:Pretty pathetic but not totally unexpected. I wonder, I think no doubt the people on the street could have done better coming up with a name of a member of congress if they'd been given the hint that a member of Congress was like, you know a senator or a representative? Surely they've all heard of Senator McCain?!

I suppose this is supposed to be an excuse for why we have a congress owned by the corporations and a handful of rich people?

its pathetic that these people don't even have a clue who represents them or the issues...bet most were dems

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

othershoe1030 wrote:Pretty pathetic but not totally unexpected. I wonder, I think no doubt the people on the street could have done better coming up with a name of a member of congress if they'd been given the hint that a member of Congress was like, you know a senator or a representative? Surely they've all heard of Senator McCain?!

These interviews were conducted right in front of the El Capitan Theater (where Jimmy Kimmel live is taped).  This block of Hollywood Blvd is ground zero for Hollywood (Hollywood and Highland).  Grauman's Chinese Theater and the Dolby Theater (where the Oscars is held) are right across the street.  The street there is filled with almost all tourists.  So these people could be from anywhere.  And be both democrat and republican,  liberal and conservative.
Of course always remember,  this whole segment is a process of editing.  And we are never told how many people were interviewed to get what the show wanted out of it.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Can I tell you a little story about being in Hollywood earlier this year.
All my life I wanted to see what it was like to be at The Comedy Store on open mic night.
This is the legendary comedy club on Sunset Blvd which launched the careers of about half of the greatest comedians.

So I made that one of the priorities of my visit. Open mic night (once a week) starts at midnight.
The audience was mainly struggling comedians who find their way to Los Angeles. I was surrounded by them.
They all put their names in a hat up by the stage. And then the emcee pulls a name out of the hat and that comic gets 15 minutes.
The whole time each comic is on stage, the other comics in the room are commenting and interacting with him or her. And it goes on through the wee hours.
It was a remarkable thing to watch. One dude from Oklahoma was funny as hell. Others not so funny.
Actually it was the first time I'd ever been in a comedy club anywhere. But I decided to pick the carnegie hall of comedy clubs for the first experience. lol

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Bob wrote:

These interviews were conducted right in front of the El Capitan Theater (where Jimmy Kimmel live is taped).  This block of Hollywood Blvd is ground zero for Hollywood (Hollywood and Highland).  Grauman's Chinese Theater and the Dolby Theater (where the Oscars is held) are right across the street.  The street there is filled with almost all tourists.  So these people could be from anywhere.  And be both democrat and republican,  liberal and conservative.
Of course always remember,  this whole segment is a process of editing.  And we are never told how many people were interviewed to get what the show wanted out of it.

Good point. Who knows how many intelligent interviews went on? Of course the more stupid the people look, the funnier the sketch is. Is this another example of a strain of anti-intellectualism in this country?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

othershoe1030 wrote:
Good point. Who knows how many intelligent interviews went on? Of course the more stupid the people look, the funnier the sketch is. Is this another example of a strain of anti-intellectualism in this country?

I think it's more like a strain of media manipulating an audience into believing and accepting something when it may all be nothing more than a manufactured media "reality".   Because there is absolutely no way for us to know unless we're beside the interviewer for every interview.

The fact is that at no time on this show or Leno's "Jaywalking" bit or the "Waters World" segments on O'Reilly or anything else of this kind is there ever any disclosure about how the segment is created.  I think that's pretty telling in itself.  They're all just hiding the fact that the interviews we see were cherry picked from who knows what.  And then even the cherry picked interviews can be edited to drive the message further.
It's really pretty questionable. But they always fall back on the excuse "hey, we're in the entertainment business, not in news".
The line between entertainment and news gets thinner and thinner all the time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum