Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My memories of Katrina 10 years ago

+6
Vikingwoman
TEOTWAWKI
dumpcare
EmeraldGhost
Hospital Bob
2seaoat
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

2seaoat

I am friends with the best TV meteorologist in America, Tom Skilling who is Jeff Skilling's older and more talented brother. It is said that all commodity markets in America listen to his forecasts. When Tom talks, so goes commodity prices. He will be the first to tell you the inherent uncertainty of predicting weather. I would ask you to track the local weather on tv for a month and listen to how they predict weather. It is neither specific or accurate. Using the most complex high speed computer and simulators they still cannot go out many days with a weather prediction. Tom was doing local weather for radio when he was in eighth grade. He went to the University of Wisconsin and studied with the best meteorologist in America and was on the Milwaukee TV station when he was 21, and then moved to Chicago where the Chicago Commodity Market follows each and everyone of his forecasts during growing season as he is on WGN the superstation, and was Tommy Skillethead on SNL, but even the best will tell you that giving accurate weather forecasts beyond a day or two is pure speculation.

Weather forecasts in America are still primitive and the science which Tom will give lectures about that science and have an auditorium full at Fermi Lab, is still not that accurate. Hurricane predictions as to a ten mile eye location on any given coastline is no better than throwing a dart at maps cut out to form a donkey. I will give you this challenge. The next named hurricane, using all the science and forecasting of the collective computer modeling you can one week from landfall predict within ten miles where it will cross landfall...you are confident that weather science equals higher probabilities of accuracy.....and do not whine about a week out.....just use your tools to make a fool out of Seaoat.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:  I will give you this challenge.  The next named hurricane, using all the science and forecasting of the collective computer modeling you can one week from landfall predict within ten miles where it will cross landfall...you are confident that weather science equals higher probabilities of accuracy.....and do not whine about a week out.....just use your tools to make a fool out of Seaoat.

So let me see if I have this right. So when a hurricane is a week away from landfall, unless the forecasting can pinpoint within 10 miles where the center of that hurricane will cross the coast, then the forecasting is no better than "throwing darts at a donkey map"?
Got it. lol

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Bob wrote:
2seaoat wrote:  I will give you this challenge.  The next named hurricane, using all the science and forecasting of the collective computer modeling you can one week from landfall predict within ten miles where it will cross landfall...you are confident that weather science equals higher probabilities of accuracy.....and do not whine about a week out.....just use your tools to make a fool out of Seaoat.

So let me see if I have this right.  So when a hurricane is a week away from landfall,  unless the forecasting can pinpoint within 10 miles where the center of that hurricane will cross the coast,   then the forecasting is no better than "throwing darts at a donkey map"?
Got it.  lol

Yep!

I care more about the strength and the relative vicinity. 10 miles doesn't matter; it is the size, strenght, and speed.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:You do not have to worry about donkey maps and darts, incompetent political leadership, but only have to focus on the deaths were almost entirely due to drowning on the failed levee system under the direct construction or supervision of Army Corps of Engineers.....it really is this simple.

Must get tiresome being proven wrong on a daily basis.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:I am friends with the best TV meteorologist in America, Tom Skilling who is Jeff Skilling's older and more talented brother.  It is said that all commodity markets in America listen to his forecasts.  When Tom talks, so goes commodity prices.  He will be the first to tell you the inherent uncertainty of predicting weather.  I would ask you to track the local weather on tv for a month and listen to how they predict weather.  It is neither specific or accurate.   Using the most complex high speed computer and simulators they still cannot go out many days with a weather prediction.  Tom was doing local weather for radio when he was in eighth grade.  He went to the University of Wisconsin and studied with the best meteorologist in America and was on the Milwaukee TV station when he was 21, and then moved to Chicago where the Chicago Commodity Market follows each and everyone of his forecasts during growing season as he is on WGN the superstation, and was Tommy Skillethead on SNL, but even the best will tell you that giving accurate weather forecasts beyond a day or two is pure speculation.  

Weather forecasts in America are still primitive and the science which Tom will give lectures about that science and have an auditorium full at Fermi Lab, is still not that accurate.  Hurricane predictions as to a ten mile eye location on any given coastline is no better than throwing a dart at maps cut out to form a donkey.  I will give you this challenge.  The next named hurricane, using all the science and forecasting of the collective computer modeling you can one week from landfall predict within ten miles where it will cross landfall...you are confident that weather science equals higher probabilities of accuracy.....and do not whine about a week out.....just use your tools to make a fool out of Seaoat.

My memories of Katrina 10 years ago - Page 5 Schizophrenia1_zps2yqxajue

Markle

Markle

Bob wrote:
Markle wrote:
Bob wrote:

New Orleans' levee commissions did not spend the money they were awarded in grants to improves their levee system.  They told New Orleans this would happen if they were not improved.  They were right, corrupt New Orleans refused.

New Orleans and the rest of south louisiana has always been among the most corrupt governments in the country.  They even used to celebrate that distinction.
What would be news is if there wasn't any corruption involved with those levees or anything else for that matter.

Please show me the post where I made that statement verbatim.

If you cannot, please delete.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum