Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Seaoat

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Seaoat Empty Seaoat 2/21/2015, 9:02 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Seaoat.... my two 12 year old grand children a boy and girl both hit  3- 3 point shots in their basketball games today.....
My granddaughter 5' 5" hit two from the top of the key about 2' from the line. Awesome games.

2Seaoat Empty Re: Seaoat 2/21/2015, 10:16 pm

Sal

Sal

Well, that's a boatload of fun.

3Seaoat Empty Re: Seaoat 2/21/2015, 10:27 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I loved it....granddaughter's game was a tough game..They played an undefeated U-12 team....final score was 13-5.

4Seaoat Empty Re: Seaoat 2/21/2015, 11:19 pm

2seaoat

Sorry, I posted a response and the internet died. We spent an hour getting it fixed. We think because we have been traveling that our provider takes bandwidth when we are gone and slows our service down. We are back up.

First, congratulations. Nothing is more fun. However, a warning. Make sure both kids are starting the three point shot from above their head. Most 12 year olds will begin their shots from their waist to chest because they do not yet have the strength. Terrible habits. If you want to see how bad habits as a kid impact your shot at higher levels all you have to do is look at Noah. He is a great player, but his shot form is awful......he has made it work with terrible form, but if these kids are showing potential, make sure their form is correct. Too many youth coaches just want to win and allow bad form to be reinforced. There is nothing better than a proper jump shot with the hands at the apex with proper wrist position......most 12 year olds do not have the strength from the three point line, but I have seen many exceptions.

5Seaoat Empty Re: Seaoat 2/21/2015, 11:30 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:Sorry, I posted a response and the internet died.  We spent an hour getting it fixed.  We think because we have been traveling that our provider takes bandwidth when we are gone and slows our service down.  We are back up.

First, congratulations.  Nothing is more fun.  However, a warning.  Make sure both kids are starting the three point shot from above their head.  Most 12 year olds will begin their shots from their waist to chest because they do not yet have the strength.  Terrible habits.  If you want to see how bad habits as a kid impact your shot at higher levels all you have to do is look at Noah.  He is a great player, but his shot form is awful......he has made it work with terrible form, but if these kids are showing potential, make sure their form is correct.  Too many youth coaches just want to win and allow bad form to be reinforced.  There is nothing better than a proper jump shot with the hands at the apex with proper wrist position......most 12 year olds do not have the strength from the three point line, but I have seen many exceptions.  

I have worked with both....to me it is very important for them to use their legs to give them the boost needed. Both start the shot from the upper neck area not over head and not from the waist/chest.. Their form and follow through is good and the shots fall once they plant their feet. Missing only when shooting the 3 on the run.

6Seaoat Empty Re: Seaoat 2/21/2015, 11:33 pm

knothead

knothead

First, sincere congrats to you and your grand daughters who are doing so well joanni . . . . my youngest grand daughter began playing at age 8 and she was a hoot. she would play defense when they had the ball . . . . . our son would tell her "honey, don't do that" . . . . . now she is the point guard and is a fierce competitor . . . . so proud of her! Watching these kids progress, evolve and learn is a sight to behold. The lessons they learn are the magic of teamwork, a work ethic, and sometimes you win sometimes you lose but give it all you got and there are no regrets. . . . proud of her!

7Seaoat Empty Re: Seaoat 2/21/2015, 11:39 pm

2seaoat

My daughter has the respect of the male SAs and the police officers she deals with everyday. She does not back down, and knows how to play with a team. She also does not get bitchy when she loses.....she has competed and been beat so she hits the ground and gets back up. What these kids learn from parents, grandparents, and coaches last a lifetime. It is an important time.

8Seaoat Empty Re: Seaoat 2/21/2015, 11:49 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

knothead wrote:First, sincere congrats to you and your grand daughters who are doing so well joanni . . . . my youngest grand daughter began playing at age 8 and she was a hoot.  she would play defense when they had the ball . . . . . our son would tell her "honey, don't do that" . . . . . now she is the point guard and is a fierce competitor . . . . so proud of her! Watching these kids progress, evolve and learn is a sight to behold.  The lessons they learn are the magic of teamwork, a work ethic, and sometimes you win sometimes you lose but give it all you got and there are no regrets. . . . proud of her!

Awesome...I would take a defensive player anytime. To me...they play to win. Competitiveness is important, not only in sports but life. 

I was very aggressive with my youngest to make sure she was competitive. I felt like I made a mistake with my older ones for not pushing that competitive edge. My youngest competed on the international level starting at age 16.

She called me from college to reassure me I did a good job. She said, "thanks mother I can't even walk down the stairs like a normal person. If someone is ahead of me, I have to beat them to the bottom".

9Seaoat Empty Re: Seaoat 2/21/2015, 11:58 pm

2seaoat

Go watch McFarland.....it is about the role of a coach bringing the competitive juices out and bonding as a group.......Kevin Costner was totally believable in the role as coach. Fun movie.

10Seaoat Empty Re: Seaoat 2/22/2015, 12:21 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:Go watch McFarland.....it is about the role of a coach bringing the competitive juices out and bonding as a group.......Kevin Costner was totally believable in the role as coach.  Fun movie.

My basketball girls bonded and 5 are still best friends.....3 still live in Gulf Breeze, one is doing her residency at Wake Forest, one is with her husband stationed in Colorado Springs. 

So far the group is working on starting a boys basketball team. Between their boys and a nephew and another close friend's son they have 5 boys......three of them with the growth potential to be well over 6 feet tall. All of the current two year olds have a Fisher Price basketball goal and can slam dunk. The girls can't wait to coach them.

11Seaoat Empty Re: Seaoat 2/22/2015, 12:40 am

2seaoat

First thing I got the granddaughter at her two year old birthday was a fisher price.....she is really reluctant to play sports where boys are participating....she is into being a princess and all her Kindergarten friends call her Elsa from frozen with her blond hair and blue eyes.....I will jump off a bridge if she becomes a cheerleader.....but you have to let kids find their own way.....but her mother was only 5' 11" which was small for division one, but her daughter.....every bit of six foot and a viking goddess.......unfortunately, I may be jumping off a bridge.

12Seaoat Empty Re: Seaoat 2/22/2015, 8:37 am

Laughing Love the competition to get to the bottom of the stairs. Wink

13Seaoat Empty Re: Seaoat 2/22/2015, 11:00 am

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Seaoat....thankfully the cheerleading phase only lasted while the girls were toddlers in their FSU cheerleading outfits. They are basketball, soccer, and softball players.

14Seaoat Empty Re: Seaoat 2/22/2015, 12:30 pm

2seaoat

The granddaughter starts indoor soccer soon, and I am hopeful this will make her happy. Right now it is all about being a princess. I will be back in ten days and hopefully will get to see her play. I despise T ball for young kids who are not ready and are too young. Kids should start playing baseball later. Four and five year olds get bored.

15Seaoat Empty Re: Seaoat 2/22/2015, 1:50 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:The granddaughter starts indoor soccer soon, and I am hopeful this will make her happy.  Right now it is all about being a princess.  I will be back in ten days and hopefully will get to see her play.  I despise T ball for young kids who are not ready and are too young.  Kids should start playing baseball later.  Four and five year olds get bored.

T-ball originally was for 6-7 year olds. The rules applied and it was a learning phase for baseball and softball. Now it has morphed into a cute photo- op session featuring 3,4, and 5 year olds posing in their color coordinated batting helmets, gloves and cleats.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum