Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Speaking of God...

+5
knothead
Floridatexan
PBulldog2
Hospital Bob
TEOTWAWKI
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 6:10 pm

why don't we ponder things that really matter... like why we wear clothes? i mean... i understand why eskimos do... or why shoes or protective clothing are needed. but unless you were taught to do it... you probably wouldn't.

27Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 6:15 pm

Bob wrote:
Chrissy8 wrote:

Why does it have to be the "God of the Bible" ?

Because that's the only version of what "God" is which is societally correct where we live.
If your God is something other than what is described by the Holy Bible then that's considered to be just plain odd in these parts. Even more odd than if your political view is democrat. Because that's one thing that both democrats and republicans even agree on. That the "real" god is ONLY the one described by the Holy Bible.

well im not "societally correct" either than am I

Perhaps thats what wrong with a lot of things. People dont think or even feel for themsleves anymore unless they compare it to some other thought or feeling. Nothings original or solely personal.

Ive chosen to think and feel for myself without comparisons. It makes me not fit in, and thats ok. Smile

28Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 7:59 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

salinsky wrote:

Are you unfamiliar with Pastafarianism, Bob?
Nope, very familiar with it.

Last edited by Bob on 9/5/2012, 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

29Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 8:12 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Chrissy8 wrote:

Perhaps thats what wrong with a lot of things. People dont think or even feel for themsleves anymore

Yes a great many of us want to have others do our thinking for us.
And that's pretty scary because what if someone comes along who we've delegated our thinking to and that person is a few fries short of a happy meal.
Or a few clowns short of a circus. Or a few peas short of a casserole.

30Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 8:21 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum wrote:why don't we ponder things that really matter... like why we wear clothes? i mean... i understand why eskimos do... or why shoes or protective clothing are needed. but unless you were taught to do it... you probably wouldn't.
Because most bodies are not pleasing to look at.

31Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 8:27 pm

Bob wrote:
PkrBum wrote:why don't we ponder things that really matter... like why we wear clothes? i mean... i understand why eskimos do... or why shoes or protective clothing are needed. but unless you were taught to do it... you probably wouldn't.
Because most bodies are not pleasing to look at.

is that your religious opinion... or could you have been taught that? why don't animals feel it?

32Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 8:39 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum wrote:
is that your religious opinion... or could you have been taught that? why don't animals feel it?
Not related to my religious belief.
But it could well be in part attributable to learned behaviour. In that sense it would be similiar to what is pleasing to me in the way of food. That too derives in part from learned behaviour.

But I have to disagree about animals. No, they don't possess the capacity to create clothing. But they do engage in "natural selection" which is an indication that they do have a sense of what is physically pleasing to them.

33Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 8:56 pm

you do know not all humans have that hang up... usually related to culture.

why would any other ritual be thght strange... particularly after a few generations?

34Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 8:59 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum wrote:you do know not all humans have that hang up... usually related to culture.

why would any other ritual be thght strange... particularly after a few generations?

I'm not sure I understand why it's a "hang up" to prefer looking at clothing rather than looking at unattractive bodies.
Are you telling me we naturally find all human bodies to be pleasing to look at and it's only a "cultural hangup" when we don't?

35Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 9:07 pm

Bob wrote:
PkrBum wrote:you do know not all humans have that hang up... usually related to culture.

I'm not sure I understand why it's a "hang up" to prefer looking at clothing rather than looking at unattractive bodies.
Are you telling me we naturally find all human bodies to be pleasing to look at and it's only a "cultural hangup" when we don't?

i'm saying there is a natural state that doesn't care if it's clothed or not.

this is a simple state. neurosis are taught... you are knot an island.

36Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 9:22 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

[quote="PkrBum"]
Bob wrote:

this is a simple state. neurosis are taught... you are knot an island.

You could be right. But even if it's all due to learned behaviour, the fact remains that I still prefer to look at many bodies when clothed than to look at those bodies without clothing. Which is still the answer to your question "why wear clothing (aside from the need for warmth)?".

37Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 9:29 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I think I see where you're wanting to go with this.
You're saying a desire to cover our bodies and having a religious belief are both learned behaviours. That we have no inate predilection to either. That we have both only because that's what our culture has taught us. Is that correct?

38Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 9:45 pm

Bob wrote:I think I see where you're wanting to go with this.
You're saying a desire to cover our bodies and having a religious belief are both learned behaviours. That we have no inate predilection to either. That we have both only because that's what our culture has taught us. Is that correct?

ya... i said it a few pages ago. it's hard to be critical or objective when you are taught things as a child.

39Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 9:46 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum,

Tell me if you disagree with this.
I'm inclined to believe that we do have an inate need/desire to have peace of mind about how we as a species fit in to the most fundamental mystery of all, the nature of existence.
I don't think a human being has ever lived who did not have an inate curiousity about this mystery. And that includes me and it includes you.

40Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 9:51 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I think every one of us from the first caveman to Albert Einstein all have this in common.
Simply because the human intellect itself gives rise to this curiousity.

41Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 9:56 pm

hmmm... the "nature of existence" catches me. i just don't think it's that organized. to hell with me if i'm wrong... i have just as strong a sense of right or wrong.

42Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 10:13 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

PkrBum wrote:hmmm... the "nature of existence" catches me. i just don't think it's that organized. to hell with me if i'm wrong... i have just as strong a sense of right or wrong.
I'm not sure I understand your use of the word "organized" in relation to this.
Curiousity about the "nature of existence" would encapsulate questions like "why are we here?", "what is it all about?", "how did existence originate?", "what is the purpose of existence?", etc.
And it would also include the question "does existence for us continue after death?"
And of course philosophy and religion of one kind or another both attempt to provide answers for these fundamental questions.

Last edited by Bob on 9/5/2012, 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

43Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 10:20 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Well at least my negative rating seems to have leveled off at -169 and is not still falling. So I'll take that as a sign that I'm not blashpheming yet. lol

44Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 10:26 pm

i have no idea about existence after life... no one does. what i do know is that humans can be programed with nearly any thing. perhaps we should be careful.

45Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 10:38 pm

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Well so far all I've done is suggest that we have this inate curiousity which leads us to ask these questions. So far I haven't made any attempt to either provide my own ideas in response or to pass judgement on anyone else's ideas.
I believe it to be inate because, as I said, I think it's just a natural product of human intellect.

My own take on it is that, while we have the intellectual capacity to ask these questions, we don't have the intellectual capacity to know the answers. Or put another way, while we have the intellectual capacity to have this curiousity, we don't have the capacity to satisfy it.
Which puts us in a sorta state of intellectual limbo.
But I also recognize that most of us will never accept that as our reality and will continue to be in denial of that reality. So because of that it really doesn't matter what I think to anyone but me. lol

46Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 11:45 pm

Sal

Sal

Hmmm ... interesting, but I'm thinking it might have a little more to do with insect bites, and snakes, and sun burn, and wind burn, and abrasive surfaces.

47Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 11:50 pm

Lurch wrote:
Bob wrote:
This is a sincere question and in no way is it meant to be rhetorical or insulting or anything other than just a question.
How can you be sure the whole concept of "God" was not just a part of some conpsiracy or another designed to control the minds of the masses?
My point is that you are skeptical of any kind of authority and power elite most of the time so why are you not skeptical of that same authority and power elite when it tells you about this too?

It is a way to control the masses..
I get a kick out of the ones who wear their religion on their sleeve but by their own words posting on here they don't show any compassion that one would expect out of a "Christian"..
If I can pick them out I'm sure their god can too..
Who do they Really think they're foolin??

Speaking of God... - Page 2 Th?id=I4755603255002794&pid=1

Who's Christian?

Why should any God care about some abstract human construct?

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky1nY3jlq1M

Smile

48Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/5/2012, 11:51 pm

Sal

Sal

PkrBum wrote:

All natural states prefer you are clothed, bum. Blame it on genetics.

49Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/6/2012, 2:46 am

Slicef18

Slicef18

Bob wrote:
Chrissy8 wrote:

Why does it have to be the "God of the Bible" ?

Because that's the only version of what "God" is which is societally correct where we live.
If your God is something other than what is described by the Holy Bible then that's considered to be just plain odd in these parts. Even more odd than if your political view is democrat. Because that's one thing that both democrats and republicans even agree on. That the "real" god is ONLY the one described by the Holy Bible.

"Because that's the only version of what "God" is which is societally correct where we live."

"God" is which is societally correct sounds like a God made by the people where we live.

"That the "real" god is ONLY the one described by the Holy Bible."

QUESTIONS:
(1) What makes a bible "holy?"
(2)What happens to the soul of a child living deep in the forest of South America and dies having no contact with the Christian word?

50Speaking of God... - Page 2 Empty Re: Speaking of God... 9/6/2012, 3:06 am

Slicef18

Slicef18

The physiological make-up of animals is different from humans and has been with few exceptions for tens of thousands of years. Dogs and cats are exceptions which humans altered through selective breeding. It is our larger brains which require more calories allowed humans to understand the world and make plans for a changing seasons and the use of tools. The movies show cavemen out in the driven snow, wearing animal furs with the fur side out. That wouldn't be the warmest way to wear an animal's fur.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum