Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I don't have to talk to any humans unless I want to. And I don't.

4 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Bob... the only utensil he's allowed to eat with now is a wooden spoon.

Do you really think you're going to teach him something?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:I did not learn a thing about your rental preferences.

Go back and read it again. I told you what my rental preferences always were and still are. The fucking price. Period.
If Avis was cheaper one week I used Avis. If National the following week I chose National. My preferences were just that simple.

Can you not read?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

A long wheelbase Dodge Caravan was the same thing at Avis, at Hertz, at Dollar, at Thrifty, at National.
Deciding where to rent it was no different than deciding where to buy one. I went to whoever gave me the best price at the time.

2seaoat

Bob,

Sadly, you do not get it. Diplomatic relations mean nothing when China opened their economic zones almost a decade after Nixon, Kisser, and Greenburg......total lack of understanding of China......American companies using European subsidaries did not require diplomatic relations.....they required the CHINESE opening their market.......it had NOTHING to do with Americans, and it was an internal shift in CHINESE policy in the early 80s.....cut and paste all day long, Chinese trade was initiated by the Chinese......not simplistic political analysis with a little Greenburg peyote sprinkled on top. THE CHINESE .....get it....got it...done.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Well actually I take that back.  There was one other consideration.
I had to remove the second and third row seats to turn the minivans into cargo vans.
It was easy to do because the seats were made to remove from the vehicle and stow away.
BUT,  at some point,  one of the rental agencies came up with a clever way to prevent this.  They put little chains and padlocks on the seat chassis' to prevent removal.  So I avoided that rental agency from then on.  I no longer remember which that was.  Probably not National though.  From the commercial it appears they really like "control freaks" and I was definitely a "control freak" with everything about those rental vans.  
I did,  however,  enjoy getting to know the employees at the Pensacola Airport car rental counters.  So I didn't have anything against "humans". lol

A couple of little anecdotes.  
After putting 700 miles in 24 hours on the $9.95/day weekend special unlimited mileage cars with round trips to Conyers, Ga dozens of times,  I got up the courage to ask the girl at one of the rental counter "Maam,  do I hold the record for how many miles I drive in a day"?,  she laughed and responded "No,  two women rented a Chevette here one time and drove to Boston and back on a two day rental.  As far as I know that's the record".

Another.  After removing the seats from the minivans,  I always sweated the possibility of breaking down a thousand miles from Pensacola WITHOUT HAVING THE SEATS IN THE VEHICLE.  LOL
And it finally happened.  I was on I-81 coming south from Wilkes Barre through the Shenandoah Valley and the minivan crapped out.
I got a tow to the nearest exit and there was a service station there who said they could do the repair.  So I called the rental agency to tell them what happened and said if they would pay for the repair I would stay with the vehicle and get it fixed and they wouldn't have to bring me another.
I spent the night in a motel across the road.
I was planning on paying for the motel out of pocket.  But when I got the car back to Pensacola they reimbursed me for that too and thanked me for getting the vehicle fixed.  
From then on,  I never worried about removing the seats again.  lol

Last edited by Bob on 1/30/2015, 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

In that sketch, Jerry tells the counter clerk "I'm gonna beat the hell out of this car".

In the real-life scenario I lived, I never came out and told those bozos that.
And it's a good thing they never knew how many slot machines and pinball machines and jukeboxes I was shoving into the back of a passenger minivan. Sometimes that thing was so heavily loaded and the rear was so low that the headlights on low beam were shining up into the eyes of truck drivers. They always thought I had my brights on and you should have heard how they sometimes cussed me on the CB radio. lol

I was beatin the ever loving hell out of those rental vans. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Those tv picker assholes don't know shit from Shinola.
I'm told that little diesel van you see them riding in is trucked to the filming location.  They fly in,  get a luxury rental car and drive to the site to film that nonsense.
Now that the show has kicked ass for six years they probably come to the scene in a chauffer driven stretch limo.  lol

In the real picker world we didn't have tv props for vehicles.  The logistics of moving that stuff around required a lot more ingenuity than that.  That is if you wanted to maximize profit which of course we did.  We didn't have income coming in from television networks and sponsors.  We had to make do with the real world.  lol

We also couldn't tell those dudes we were buying from that if they sell to us they'll get to see themselves on national television.  That makes it a lot easier to be a pretend "picker".  lol

2seaoat

Those tall diesel vans are the cat's meow. All the tradesmen are going to the tall vans and diesel.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Those tall diesel vans are the cat's meow.  All the tradesmen are going to the tall vans and diesel.

I absolutely agree.  And James Bond drives an Aston Martin that has every MacGyver attachment in the world for an option and that's the cat's meow too.
But I doubt any real British agent ever drove one.  lol

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum