Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I don't have to talk to any humans unless I want to. And I don't.

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Well I've got news for you, pal. You're a dick. And an insufferable one at that. And you're acting in a loathsome commercial. And if your character doesn't have any regard for any of the people working at National Car Rental then neither do I. And that includes the ones who approved this commercial. And you should know that I just reserved a rental car for 9 days and because of you and this commercial I ruled out doing business with National Car Rental.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

You tell him, Bob.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

He played David Puddy on Seinfeld. Elaine's boyfriend the car mechanic. lol

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:He played David Puddy on Seinfeld.  Elaine's boyfriend the car mechanic.  lol

Dude's hilarious ...

I don't have to talk to any humans unless I want to. And I don't.  Bc592f6c5eed9419cb973c38411686f4

Lighten up.

Ya... It didn't bother me. I noticed who the guy was... but couldn't have told you the company being advertised.

Sal

Sal

Speaking of renting a car ....

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:
Bob wrote:He played David Puddy on Seinfeld.  Elaine's boyfriend the car mechanic.  lol

Dude's hilarious ...

I don't have to talk to any humans unless I want to. And I don't.  Bc592f6c5eed9419cb973c38411686f4

Lighten up.

This tv commercial is a complicated thing for me (I sometimes tend to find that in unexpected places).

On the one hand, the commercial just rubbed me the wrong way mainly due to that one line in the dialogue (my thread title).

This fucking company hired it's employees and it's paying them to provide something and who knows what that is now. Because now it's telling it's customers it's own employees are just an annoyance and something to avoid.
And the character itself represents a self-important blowhard and if that's how National Car Rental views it's customers then National Car Rental can kiss my ass.

BUT, on the other hand, there are a great many times I don't wish to have to deal with employees either. Like car salesman. I purposely go on car lots to browse when they're closed JUST SO I don't have to encounter any goddamn car salesman.
So I'm torn. lol

But on another issue, you're not supposed to like Seinfeld. Remember, it was as much as anything a product of "the worst generation evar". lol
I've lost count of how many times I've quoted you on that when trying to convey to my fellow boomers how your generation views our generation.

About all I noticed seeing that commercial was that he seemed to be playing the seinfeld character... blunt and acidic.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:Speaking of renting a car ....

That bit is classic Larry David writing.
You can almost picture either Seinfeld and/or David at rental car counters with that happening. Or just as likely, it happening to a person either of them knows. And that real-life scene was either experienced by or conveyed to Larry David. And his genius translates it into what are absolutely perfect comedic lines.
If I saw that scene in the past I don't remember because of undiagnosed alzheimers (senility), so seeing it now is seeing it for the first time.
Really good stuff, Sal. Thanks for sharing.

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:
But on another issue,  you're not supposed to like Seinfeld.  Remember,  it was as much as anything a product of "the worst generation evar".  lol
I've lost count of how many times I've quoted you on that when trying to convey to my fellow boomers how your generation views our generation.  

I don't hate every individual or everything that was produced by your generation, Bob.

I just think that as a whole your generation is the most narcissistic, spoiled, and greedy group of assholes that the United States has ever produced, and that collectively your generation FUBARed the entire country.

And, you can quote me on that.

lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:

And, you can quote me on that.

lol

Don't worry,  I will.  I consider you to be one of the most eloquent spokespersons for your generation I've ever encountered yet.

But of course the sample of your generation I'm referring to is all located within the confines of the Redneck Riviera.  So my results (and my conclusions) might be a little skewed.  lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:Speaking of renting a car ....

Don't miss something about this,  Sal.

When my generation was creating this,  we were the age (roughly) of your generation now.  
Seinfeld and Dreyfuss (and most importantly Larry David) were that age.  And the part of their audience which were their contemporaries (including me) were that age.
And our generation at that age was satirizing a cougar relationship BECAUSE WE BELIEVED 66 YEARS OLD (the age in the script) SIGNIFIED AN OLD GEEZER.

Oh boy is there thick as shit irony in that.  About as thick as the 800 ft gorilla in the room.
Actually more like karma. Because Larry David is now 67.  And goddamnit I'm exactly 66,  the exact same age which was thought of as the old geezer at the time.  Hell,  I even thought it myself.
lol

And the moral to this story,  Sal, is you and everyone else in your generation who survives long enough will one day be geezers too.
So if you and your buds ever get any notion about fucking with (taking away support and money from) our medicare system,  remember if you fuck it up for the "worst generation evar", you will have fucked it up for yours later too.

Sal

Sal

Sometimes I get the feeling you think I'm a Millennial.

I'm not, I'm a Gen Xer.

We're too busy working and raising our kids to worry about it too much at the moment.

You are right about the Millennials tho.

They're pissed and have every right to be.

They can't even find jobs.

They may very well come after your shit at some point, and we won't stand in the way because you screwed us too.

2seaoat

I like National. I use National. I do not pay much attention to actors in commercials.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:Sometimes I get the feeling you think I'm a Millennial.

I'm not, I'm a Gen Xer.

We're too busy working and raising our kids to worry about it too much at the moment.

You are right about the Millennials tho.

They're pissed and have every right to be.

They can't even find jobs.

They may very well come after your shit at some point, and we won't stand in the way because you screwed us too.

I don't have to guess at your age, Sal, because you revealed in a past thread you were in your early 40's.

There is one reason there are fewer middle class sustaining jobs with union benefits for gen ex'ers, Sal.
It's because hundreds of millions of peasants in China were willing to replace those jobs and do it for less than a dollar an hour with no benefits.

Any understanding of why the world economy evolved that way is very very complicated.
BUT, if we're going to try to boil it down to which American generation played the most significant role in making it happen, it aint boomers.
Three Americans had more to do with it than any other. Nixon, Kissinger, and Hank Greenberg, my first cousin's father-in-law. And that's with emphasis on FATHER-in-law. "Father" designates the generation before us.
Nixon, Kissinger and Greenberg were all the generation prior to mine. The "Greatest" Generation. Hell, Greenberg landed at Normandy on D-Day.

Those three were most responsible for "opening up China".
That was the beginning of that economic evolution I referred to.

Once he'd played the role of being Nixon and Kissinger's "man on the ground" in China to open the thing up, Greenberg then spent the rest of his life building a pillar of the financial system which eventually led us all to the "Great Recession".
And he himself went down the tubes with it then, taking most of his $6 billion down the tubes with him too.

They were not my generation, Sal. They were your grandparent's generation. So if you're gonna blame a generation, blame that one.

2seaoat

Huh?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:I like National.  I use National.  I do not pay much attention to actors in commercials.

Somehow I'm not surprised by your preference,  seaoat.

Take a look at this...

http://www.expedia.com/carsearch?Icmcid=us.hotwire.carrentals.comparecar.car&locn=PNS&date1=3-18-2015&date2=3-25-2015&styp=1&fdrp=1&time1=0700PM&time2=0700PM&dagv=1&subm=1&eapid=0&tpid=1&paandi=true

National is now doing more advertising than the rest.  That one commercial is playing constantly.
SO,  to pay for all that advertising they charge higher rental rates.
In essence,  by choosing National all you're doing is paying more money for the same damn rental car.  When you don't even "pay much attention" to the advertising. lol

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Huh?

Huh what, seaoat. My post was clear as a bell. Get a reading tutor.

2seaoat

Huh what, seaoat. My post was clear as a bell. Get a reading tutor.

You must have bought some mushrooms with what you saved on your rental car because only a person on a trip would post your explanation for our trade with China. Been using National for thirty years and what I have saved could buy a great many mushrooms, but then again I prefer portabella. Have a nice trip Bob.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:Huh what, seaoat. My post was clear as a bell. Get a reading tutor.

You must have bought some mushrooms with what you saved on your rental car because only a person on a trip would post your explanation for our trade with China.   Been using National for thirty years and what I have saved could buy a great many mushrooms, but then again I prefer portabella.  Have a nice trip Bob.

1. I've been renting cars for 45 years. When I was doing business I did all my traveling in rental cars. Mainly minivans but sometimes sedans, sometimes pickups, sometimes full size cargo vans, sometimes box truck rentals.
I learned real quick that putting high miles on unlimited mileage deal rental vehicles was far and away for me better than using vehicles I owned.
I've rented from every rental car business there is.
I learned right quick that except for the different frills and bells and whistles, they all basically provide the same thing. So it made sense to base the choice on the rate. I had no brand loyalty. I would sometimes rent from four different rental agencies in the space of a month.

2. Nixon and Kissinger and Greenberg "opened up" China. Learn some history and you'll hear about Nixon and Kissinger doing it. You don't know Greenberg was the third party in that triad because the general public never heard of Greenberg until the company he built (AIG) played such a big role in the Great Recession. The only reason I got a head start on learning about this is because my sweet little southern belle cousin married his son. Otherwise I woulda never learned about it either.
So what in fuck does that have to do with mushrooms?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

One thing I can guarangoddamntee you. I've rented a hundred times more vehicles than Puddy or "control freak" or the fucking actor who played them both.

2seaoat

I did not learn a thing about your rental preferences, and the idea that seven years before the CHINESE opened their markets to foreign countries any thing was relevant to trade issues, is just a peyote trip with a little Greenberg sprinkled on top.....but of course xenophobic Bob has one world perspective......The special economic zones....again set up by the Chinese and involving ALL nations in 1980, not your Motley crew of Americans who you THINK opened up China.....god a peyote trip is an awful thing to waste.

Poor old sick seagoat is having trouble keeping up... I doubt he'll remember this thread unless it gets bumped again.

2seaoat

Poor old sick seagoat is having trouble keeping up... I doubt he'll remember this thread unless it gets bumped again.

Won five hundred in a 10/20 cash game this morning, and won a tournament seat for sunday to boot.....got to go get some gyros......back later to keep things lively.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote:I did not learn a thing about your rental preferences, and the idea that seven years before the CHINESE opened their markets to foreign countries any thing was relevant to trade issues, is just a peyote trip with a little Greenberg sprinkled on top.....but of course xenophobic Bob has one world perspective......The special economic zones....again set up by the Chinese and involving ALL nations in 1980, not your Motley crew of Americans who you THINK opened up China.....god a peyote trip is an awful thing to waste.

first some background...

U.S. President Richard Nixon's 1972 visit to the People's Republic of China was an important step in formally normalizing relations between the United States (U.S.) and the People's Republic of China (PRC). It marked the first time a U.S. president had visited the PRC, which at that time considered the U.S. one of its foes, and the visit ended 25 years of separation between the two sides.
Before even being elected president, Richard Nixon had talked of the need for better relations with the Peoples Republic of China, with which the U.S. did not maintain diplomatic relations as it recognized the government of the Republic of China on Taiwan as the government of China. Early in his first term, Nixon and National Security Adviser Henry Kissinger began sending subtle overtures hinting at warmer relations to the PRC government. After a series of these overtures by both countries, Kissinger flew on secret diplomatic missions to Beijing, where he met with Premier Zhou. On July 15, 1971, the President announced that he would visit the PRC the following year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Nixon_visit_to_China

That led to the U.S. establishing full diplomatic relations with communist China in 1979.

Nixon's and Kissinger's primary motive for wanting this to happen was mainly to let the U.S. muscle out the Soviet Union's influence on China. It was the peak of the Cold War and that took precedence over everything for Nixon and Kissinger.
But Nixon and Kissinger were in bed with American business. And American business began to see the benefit of economic relationships with China.

What became AIG (American International Group) was actually founded in China.

from wiki...

AIG traces its roots back to 1919, when American Cornelius Vander Starr (1892-1968) established a general insurance agency, American Asiatic Underwriters (AAU), in Shanghai, China.[7] Business grew rapidly, and two years later, Starr formed a life insurance operation.[8] By the late 1920s, AAU had branches throughout China and Southeast Asia.

Fast forward to the 1960's and now enters Hank Greenberg...

In 1960, C.V. Starr hired Maurice R. Greenberg to develop an international accident and health business.[17] Two years later, Mr.Greenberg reorganized one of C.V. Starr’s U.S. holdings into a successful multiple line carrier.[16] Greenberg focused on selling insurance through independent brokers rather than agents to eliminate agent salaries. Using brokers, AIU could price insurance according to its potential return even if it suffered decreased sales of certain products for great lengths of time with very little extra expense. In 1967, American International Group, Inc. (AIG) was incorporated as a unifying umbrella organization for most of C.V. Starr’s general and life insurance businesses.[18] In 1968, Starr named Greenberg his successor. The company went public in 1969.[19]

By the time Nixon took office, Greenberg had already become the biggest American business presence in China.
He was obviously the man Nixon and Kissinger needed to work with and so they did. Greenberg and Kissinger became close friends and still are to this day. And Greenberg became their point man "on the ground" in China.

Actually it wasn't Nixon and Kissinger who really got the economic relationships with China kick started. As I said, their motives were mostly geo-political. It was Greenberg, working in partnership with them, who made it happen. Greenberg AND his myriad of contacts in the business world.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum