Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

So boards of Florida want to make you a proposition

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

I will buy you this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000FC2KEM?pc_redir=1409145300&robot_redir=1

And a Bible for you to read. If you don't change your mind about Christ by reading the Strobel book and using thr Bible as a reference as you rewd the
aforementioned book, I will leave the board permanently to never come back even as a sock. We can meet at an undisclosed location for the transfer of the reading material.

Are you up for it?

Lee was one of the most hardcore atheists ever as well.

Bump....I am going to keep this near the top.

Christ died for you BOF.

Sal

Sal

So boards of Florida want to make you a proposition  Totall10

boards of FL

boards of FL

I have absolutely zero interest in reading your book, PACEDOG.

You have a nice day now.

Sal

Sal

The power of Christ compels you!!

boards of FL

boards of FL

PACEDOG, imagine if we had a few muslim members on this forum, and imagine if one of them created a thread calling on you to read the koran along with some other book about islam.

You'd probably look at that and see it as a colossal waste of time, right?

So would I, PACEDOG.  So would I.

I've read quite a bit of the Koran. I doubt you'd find one that would actually hand you what they consider "holy" material as it was explained to me while deployed to the UAE on a visitation to the Grand Mosque. Anyhow, what do you fear on those words? What have you got to lose by even reading the book by Strobel?

boards of FL

boards of FL

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Anyhow, what do you fear on those words?

Absolutely nothing.

PACEDOG#1 wrote:What have you got to lose by even reading the book by Strobel?

Time that could be spent towards something more productive, such as playing video games.

I promise you the book will change your life.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

This reader review doesn't communicate any earth-shaking realizations . . .

"Lee Strobel's "The Case for Christ" is actually a compilation of answers to questions about Christianity, given by a dozen of experts. Many of these are famous theists like Gregory Boyd and William Lane Craig. Strobel retraces his own journey from atheism to faith, while facing problematic issues like the evidence for Jesus outside the Bible and the resurrection.
I liked several aspects in this book, and disliked a few; For the positive aspect, Strobel's book is very readable, almost always fascinating, and captivating without being heavy. Strobel tries to show that it actually requires a lot more faith for an atheist to maintain atheism than it would to trust in Jesus. All the scholars Strobel interviews try to defuse atheist/skeptical arguments and show that the historical evidence that Jesus was who he claimed to be is overwhelming.
Does Strobel manage to convince you? Well, it will depend. I am very open to Christian arguments, but I am also very receptive to be best arguments against Christianity; your belief when you start the book will inevitably have a strong influence leading you to a final position.
Like other readers, I quickly realized that Strobel's book had a glaring deficiency: Strobel does not show us any direct interview with critics of Christianity. For instance, Gregory Boyd (One of my favorite Evangelical apologists) spends many pages criticizing the Jesus Seminar, but Strobel never lets us read any of their replies. The atheist Michael Martin is also attacked, most times, the arguments against his work are justified, but still, I always had that annoying feeling of not being shown enough of the opposing side. Strobel's method is quoting some skeptical book to a Christian Apologist, and then asking for his comments. Unfortunately, Strobel never does the opposite, quoting passages from Christians to Non-Christians in order to get their responses.
And so, to some readers it might be reasonable to claim that Strobel's book is very unbalanced, failing to show interviews with ANY critic of Evangelical apologetics. People who want the truth will want to hear both sides of the story."

I've read enough of the Bible to know it's total bullshit.  And the Amazon reviews by readers are just as mixed as you would expect when some of the readers are hardcore believers and some are not.    

I don't believe in God, and certainly don't believe that Christ was his alleged son.  You want to make the same offer to me that you made to Boards of Florida?

Put it in writing ...

Last edited by Wordslinger on 9/10/2014, 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : The power of Jesus compelled me)

Nice plagiarism Words, as those aren't your words! Same goes for you and I will buy you the book and a Bible as well or are you worried you will be mistaken?

Like BoF you have nothing to lose.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Nice plagiarism Words, as those aren't your words! Same goes for you and I will buy you the book and a Bible as well or are you worried you will be mistaken?

In the same thread in which you're asking others to read a book, you go on to exhibit the fact that you yourself cannot read.

Whatever.

Where are his footnotes? His references to an original author? This from the man who thinks Wikipedia is a primary source for research.

All he did was parrot back some other atheist's
Viewpoint.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Whatever.

Where are his footnotes? His references to an original author? This from the man who thinks Wikipedia is a primary source for research.

All he did was parrot back some other atheist's
Viewpoint.

Wordslinger wrote:This reader review doesn't communicate any earth-shaking realizations . . .

"Lee Strobel's "The Case for Christ" is actually a compilation of answers to questions about Christianity, given by a dozen of experts.

Wordslinger

Wordslinger

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Nice plagiarism Words, as those aren't your words! Same goes for you and I will buy you the book and a Bible as well or are you worried you will be mistaken?

Plagiarism my ass, dummy. I made it clear I was quoting from a reader review (in fact, one from Amazon). I can't help it if you don't understand what this symbol means: " " .

I have a Bible, thanks. According to Amazon reader reviews, it's a hard sell push for Christianity. Why the hell should anyone waste time reading it? LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum