Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

My mother took a DNA test to discover her ancestry and we were shocked!

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

All these years we knew we were Norweigan from my mother's side and Irish Scotch German from my father's. My grandmother immigrated from Norway in 1924 to marry my grandfather whom she met in Norway. He was German and Norweigan but my mother's DNA came out to be half Jewish and half Norweigan.My family is blonde and blueyed. She traced her family roots to a German colony who migrated to Virginia in the 1700's but apparently they were German Jews from Europe who changed their religion to Protestant due to persecution. There was a tiny percentage of Asian also. Who knew? It was interesting as many people don't know where their ancestors migrated from. All these racist people could be a percentage of the races they hate. OMG! LOL!

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

You giving up pork?

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Where did she take this test, Dreams? I would love to do it!

That's interesting that you inherited some German Jewish blood. Me, too. We still can't trace my grandmother's history beyond her marriage to my grandfather in Mississippi and her death in 1975. According to my father, my grandmother was a German Jew who converted to Southern Baptist. That was a wise move, considering she was living right there in central Mississippi during the "burning times."

Otherwise, there is just.....nothing there regarding my grandmother's family history. Nothing here, nothing in Germany. It saddens me that we may never know the history of my grandmother's family, just as it saddens me that I never even knew about it until I was over forty years of age.

EDIT: Now you've got me wondering if my grandmother's ancestors were part of that colony in Virginia. Hey Dreams, we might be distantly related!  Very Happy Laughing 

We might be,PB! LOL! I think she did it on Ancestry.Com. It's like $99 but takes a month or more. They link you to other people in your family tree who are like 3rd or 4th cousins. They have their emails on there where you can contact them and get more family info. The descendents of this colony meet every year in Culpepper,Virginia. My mother goes and is in contact w/ a lot of them. On Ancestry.Com you can search the census and manifests of the ships that brought them over. She has found out a lot of info. from there.

Didn't know they took your blood on ancestry dot com

They didn't did they?

No, it's a mouth swab.

Joanimaroni wrote:You giving up pork?

Might as well. Gave up meat on Fridays being a Catholic. LOL!

Dreamsglore wrote:No, it's a mouth swab.

interesting. I've never looked into ancestry .com, I always thought it was that you just give them your information and they look up connections. very cool.

$99 what a deal.

catfriedlegs

I wouldn't mind having mine done. I think I've got some Ashkenazi Jew in my blood.

catfriedlegs

Dreamsglore wrote:All these years we knew we were Norweigan from my mother's side and Irish Scotch German from my father's. My grandmother immigrated from Norway in 1924 to marry my grandfather whom she met in Norway. He was German and Norweigan but my mother's DNA came out to be half Jewish and half Norweigan.My family is blonde and blueyed. She traced her family roots to a German colony who migrated to Virginia in the 1700's but apparently they were German Jews from Europe who changed their religion to Protestant due to persecution. There was a tiny percentage of Asian also. Who knew? It was interesting as many people don't know where their ancestors migrated from. All these racist people could be a percentage of the races they hate. OMG! LOL!

That's really interesting, Dreams. Especially since they found a little bit of Asian as well. Guess you could check off Asian on forms you have to fill out that ask for your ethnicity.  Cool 

Well, long time no hear from you,Az. It is interesting. My mother got into it and I was talking to my sister tonight and we're going to do a swab to see where our ancestry is from from both sides now. When I told my son he says "Jewish? I'd rather be black." I said "that's probably where you got your brains from. The Jewish people are smart. You didn't get them from your father's side.. the Irish". He goes "oh ok then".

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Azadeh wrote:I wouldn't mind having mine done. I think I've got some Ashkenazi Jew in my blood.

Great to see you posting....I have missed you.

dreams, this is the most interesting topic you have ever posted imho.

I would have loved to had long conversations with you about it but that cant happen. Because I really don't like you from all the shit and threats you've made to me over the years. And I'm supposed to be shunning you.

But I will be as nice as possible and say thank you for posting the topic because I didn't know that website did dna testing and that's just damn cool.

Welcome back Az. Good to see you again. Don't try and get all sexy with me because the forum has finally killed my forum libido LOL Razz 

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

I went to Ancestry.com yesterday. Without even joining, I learned my paternal grandfather's birth year! Nothing about my grandmother, though. It looks like Ancestry.com is much better than it used to be, so I will join soon.

AZ! It's so good to "see" you!  cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum