Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MADD At Odds Over DUI Proposal (For Seaoats)

+3
boards of FL
no stress
2seaoat
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Your logic is stunning.

You have yet to address how such a system for 250 million cars would be implemented. Just the same shit talk and references how to how stupid anyone is who doesn't agree with your flawed logic.

2seaoat

Your logic is stunning.

You have yet to address how such a system for 250 million cars would be implemented. Just the same shit talk and references how to how stupid anyone is who doesn't agree with your flawed logic.

I have addressed it for ten years. You mandate ignition interlocks in all new cars, just like you did with air bags. It is not rocket science. The airbags took a decade to perfect. It will take a decade to perfect the ignition interlock. Existing cars have ten years to install add on ignition interlocks.

Simple answer for ...........now do you understand.

My car doesn't have air bags. How is that working out? 10 years? Who is going to install and force me to comply? They can not even enforce the laws on hand, might as well new ones. Will there check points to stop and check all vehicles? Who is going to do that? Another TSA type organization?.

2seaoat

They currently are putting them every type of car for a little less than $150 per car. Sure people can try to drive a vehicle without it, but just like truck inspections where a sticker is given, I have not had my truck inspected for two years because I mostly use it on my property. If I get stopped without my safety sticker it is a hundred buck fine.......so do you think we need to reinvent the wheel? Or do you think we can handle this? Every time I refer to Ignition interlocks, I always use the figure of 95% effective because there will be malfunctions, out right hard wired bypasses, and people in ten years who have not installed the ignition interlock and applied their sticker, but the other 95% will be stopping impaired drivers.....again....this is not rocket science.

I guess you would also have to recall and then out law all the remote starting features that are on many cars. I am sure the people in the Northern states would go for that.

Installation and Expense

If you or someone you know has been convicted of driving under the influence, you may have heard about ignition interlock devices. These mechanisms are designed to keep a car from being started if the driver has a breath alcohol content (or BAC) over a preset limit. These preset limits vary from .02% to .04%, depending on the state.

In addition, this device will be randomly programmed to give you tests after you are driving. This is known as a “rolling test.”

Most states allow ignition interlock devices to be installed as a condition of having your driver’s license reinstated. It is more likely that people who have had prior DUI convictions must have the device installed. However, if a first time offender had a very high blood alcohol content, caused injury while driving under the influence, or refused to take a chemical test, they may also be required to obtain the ignition interlock devise.

The first thing that you will have to pay for are the fees to have your license reinstated. These fees vary from state to state. After this comes the interlock device installation.

Typically, the offender must pay for the ignition interlock device installation. The installation costs around $50 to $200. This fee may be more if you have a luxury vehicle or if installation takes longer.

In some states, there are certain circumstances in which the fees paid for a DUI conviction can be applied to the ignition interlock device installation.

There is a monthly rental fee for the device. This fee ranges from $50 to $100. You will also be responsible for maintenance expenses as well as fees for downloading the data from the ignition interlock device.

You will also be required to come in for scheduled appointments to have your ignition interlock device calibrated, or to have the records downloaded and the device reset so that you can keep driving.

Going in for calibration appointments is extremely important. The device will normally need to be checked every 60 days. Failure to maintain the device can be seen as a violation of the ignition interlock program.

2seaoat

The current interlock systems on repeat offenders are not OEM systems. When the mandatory installation on existing cars happens after ten years from the date of the mandate, there will be OEM purchases and one time installation fees with no monthly fees or monitoring. All vehicles like trucks and vehicles which require annual emission testing stickers will have the OEM interlock systems calibrated once a year, and a sticker applied. I have lived where my vehicle was tested for emissions and I had a sticker applied, and I have my truck tested every couple years and a sticker applied. The reason trucks have safety stickers is because deaths have been associated with unsafe trucks. Sadly ignition interlock systems deal with hundreds of times the deaths caused by unsafe trucks, yet the alcohol industry has effectively funded the anti interlock campaign, and you are parroting their propaganda. People were angry when they had to have their catalytic convertors inspected, yet today we all breathe easier, and urban areas no longer are full of smog. Man can engineer solutions, and you simply are buying into the alcohol industry engineered response to the solution.....they know how effective these systems are.......so the propaganda will be pushed....more will die.....but eventually, just like banning smoking....the solution will take and more americans will live.

Nope, I am speaking as a master mechanic with over 50 years of experience.  I know how things work in the real world.

, just like banning smoking....the solution will take and more Americans will live.

So banning smoking is OK, but not drinking? Freedom? Smoke free Ball Park=OK Alcohol free Ball Park= Hell no!!

Sal

Sal

Unless a lush spills his beer on you, you can't get secondhand drunk.

Seaoats calls the Alcohol industry "Merchants of death" and "Propagandist". Yet he supports the very people that cause them to be a viable force. He seems to have no qualms about a company or business spending tens of thousands of dollars with a industry that are as he says are "Death Merchants" WTF?

I'm sure it will come in handy in many ways for govt. Forgot to pay a parking ticket? Car disabled. Run a stop sign? Car won't start. Late on a car payment? Walk. Didn't pay taxes? You will if you want to drive anytime soon. Good idea comrade.

And if this thread isn't political... there is no such animal. Blatant hypocrisy.

boards of FL

boards of FL

PkrBum wrote:And if this thread isn't political... there is no such animal. Blatant hypocrisy.

I'll admit it's borderline. There you go. Moved. What will you whine about next?

BUT MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!1111

2seaoat

Once a year calibrations and stickers applied to vehicles is a small price to pay for saving 10k lives and saving billions in lower insurance rates, lower taxes, and investments in our infrastructure making safer roads and creating jobs. This is simply a no brainer, and as a master mechanic, how many times this year have you had your hard drive adjusted, or anything on your computer. I have gone five years and done nothing to mine, and four years on my Prius full of computers and put 100k on the car and only changed the tires.....no battery, no exhaust, no tune up, no brakes, just timely oil changes.....so systems can be built which minimize the idea that everything breaks down all the time.......a printer is complex machine, and I have a hp laser printer working 10 years and never did a thing.......I also worked on cars in the sixties and seventies.......and thank God the Japanese and Germans provided Detroit competition........ignition interlocks have a proven record and OEM installation will save lives, save money to consumers, and save tax dollars.....but again the merchants of death will keep pouring money into the fight to stop them, just like they are doing in Colorado to fight pot because alcohol sales have dropped there too.......for them the deaths are a necessary part of their bottom line, and we live in a free country and they should be able to sell alcohol to free men, and free men should be able to drink.....but free men do not have a right to drive impaired.....it is a privilege to drive, and with that privilege must come strict enforcement of impaired driving.

boards of FL wrote:
PkrBum wrote:And if this thread isn't political... there is no such animal. Blatant hypocrisy.

I'll admit it's borderline. There you go. Moved. What will you whine about next?

You're the one that aspired to be hall monitor... congratulations on the self-promotion dear leader.

Trouble free... Zero defects  Got it.  How about a simple ignition switch with no complex Lock out?

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission is investigating General Motors over its handling of an ignition switch defect, according to a public filing today.

The disclosure in GM's quarterly SEC filing, marks the latest of several government investigations over the automaker's failure to fix sooner a defect that's now blamed for at least 32 crashes and 13 deaths.

GM's document said the SEC is investigating its handling of the ignition switch defect, which engineers first discovered more than a decade ago but failed to fix despite a change to the component approved in 2005.

The automaker has now recalled 2.6 million small cars mostly Chevrolet Cobalts and Saturn Ions from 2003 through 2007 model years. The ignition key can be jostled from the "on" to the "accessory" position by a driver's knee or the weight of a keychain. That, in turn, can cut power to the engine, air bags and other electrical systems.

A spokeswoman for the SEC declined to comment, saying the agency does not confirm or deny investigations. GM spokesman Jim Cain also declined to comment.

The disclosure also stated that GM is facing at least 55 lawsuits throughout the country, including challenges from shareholders accusing the automaker of securities fraud.

Government investigations include a criminal probe by the U.S. Justice Department, a regulatory investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and inquiries by U.S. House and Senate committees.

Analysts expect GM to pay several billion dollars in fines, damages and settlements. But the company is asking U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Manhattan to uphold an immunity against "economic loss" lawsuits that was granted to it as part of its 2009 government-backed bankruptcy.

"We are investigating these matters internally and believe we are cooperating fully with all requests, notwithstanding NHTSA's recent fines for failure to respond," GM said in the SEC filing. "Such investigations could result in the imposition of damages, fines or civil and criminal penalties."

Earlier today, GM CEO Mary Barra said on a conference call that the company would disclose the findings of an internal investigation being conducted by outside lawyer Anton Valukas as soon as his probe is finished.

The company has also hired disaster compensation expert Kenneth Feinberg to explore the options, including a fund to compensate victims of the ignition switch defect.

"The recall team is being thorough, progressive and proactive," Barra said. "When the facts are in, we will be transparent and we will
SHARE 16 CONNECT 5 TWEETCOMMENTEMAIL

Here ya go Mr Oats... Damn the interlock Just make everyone wear one of these.. Happy now? No smoking though, that is bad for you
From a site praising interlocks...
http://dui.laws.com/ignition-interlock-arguments

SCRAM, which stands for Secure Continuous Remote Alcohol Monitoring, is a device that is attached on to a person that is meant to analyze the skin of its wearer in order to determine the blood alcohol content of the individual on an hourly basis.

In the case that the device detects the presence of alcohol, the SCRAM device will then test the BAC of the individual every half hour. The SCRAM is often referred to as a Continuous Transdermal Alcohol Monitoring system due to its method of analyzing the skin in order to determine the BAC of its wearer.

The SCRAM device will usually come in the form of a bracelet, which is most commonly worn on the ankle of the individual. The Continuous Transdermal Alcohol monitoring device will then analyze the wearer's perspiration to the determine the blood alcohol content.

The SCRAM device, upon analyzing BAC levels, will then transmit the data through a modem, which is either at the home of the individual or monitoring office. This data will be analyzed by a computer program, which can then be reviewed through the internet. It will present data containing information such as the wearer's temperature and the consumption of alcohol that occurred over a period of time.

The first Continuous Transdermal Alcohol Monitoring device was developed in 1998 by Alcohol Monitoring Systems, Inc., obtaining the first patent for the SCRAM device in 1993. Currently the SCRAM device and program is currently used in forty states throughout the country.
- See more at: http://dui.laws.com/ignition-interlock-device/scram#sthash.fRWmgCbq.dpuf

Maybe we should make wearing seat belts mandatory.

Man ejected from vehicle in West Pensacola crash
From staff reports 8:48 a.m. CDT April 25, 2014

A man was seriously injured this morning in a single-car crash in West Pensacola, according to Escambia County Officials.

Around 5:48 a.m., a 20-year-old male lost control of his vehicle in the 5200 block of Cerny Road, a county spokesman said. The vehicle overturned and ejected the driver.

He was taken to Sacred Heart Hospital as a trauma alert.

The Florida Highway Patrol is investigating the crash

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

There's another problem with interlock devices...some states require a "rolling retest"...yep, it means the driver has to blow into the device at some point, indicated by the device, after the vehicle is moving...dangerous.

http://www.duifoundation.org/news/ignition-interlock-devices-may-increase-accidents.html

ccording to DUI Defense Attorneys in Washington, the installation of an ignition interlock device in a driver’s car may increase the likelihood of accidents. Under Washington State DUI laws, the ignition interlock device is required to be installed if a driver’s license is suspended due to a DUI arrest or conviction within the state.
To refresh, the ignition interlock device is installed with the wiring in a car to prevent the car from starting. However, it is not commonly known that Washington State’s DUI law also required a “rolling retest” after the vehicle has been started. In this process, when the car is in motion, the ignition interlock signals the driver to blow into the device:
“WAC 2-4-50-110 (7) Each device shall require the operator of the vehicle to submit to a retest within ten minutes of starting the vehicle. Retesting shall continue at intervals not to exceed sixty minutes after the first retest. The device shall be equipped with a method of immediately notifying peace officers if the required retest(s) above is not performed, or if the result of the retest exceeds the lower of .025 BAC or the alcohol concentration as prescribed by the originating court. Examples of acceptable forms of notification are repeated honking of the vehicle’s horn, repeated flashing of the vehicle’s headlamps, or the wailing of a small siren. Such notification may be disabled only by switching the engine off, or by the achievement of a retest at a level the lower of .025 BAC or the maximum allowable alcohol concentration as set by the originating court.”
These dangers from the rolling retest have been frequently documented because it causes a distraction while driving, similar to cell phones. Use of cell phone while operating a motor vehicle is not only dangerous, but also illegal. So isn’t the rolling retest of the interlock device just as dangerous? Lawmakers across the country should further investigate such claims.

---------------------

Also, I'm conflicted about airbags.  They're unsafe for children in the front seat and for shorter people.  My sister's life was more than likely saved by an airbag, but it broke her sternum.

Sounds good to me...............

“WAC 2-4-50-110 (7) Each device shall require the operator of the vehicle to submit to a retest within ten minutes of starting the vehicle. Retesting shall continue at intervals not to exceed sixty minutes after the first retest. The device shall be equipped with a method of immediately notifying peace officers if the required retest(s) above is not performed, or if the result of the retest exceeds the lower of .025 BAC or the alcohol concentration as prescribed by the originating court. Examples of acceptable forms of notification are repeated honking of the vehicle’s horn, repeated flashing of the vehicle’s headlamps, or the wailing of a small siren. Such notification may be disabled only by switching the engine off, or by the achievement of a retest at a level the lower of .025 BAC or the maximum allowable alcohol concentration as set by the originating court

boards of FL wrote:

I'll admit it's borderline.  There you go.  Moved.  What will you whine about next?

MADD At Odds Over DUI Proposal (For Seaoats) - Page 5 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpdYUzHQXylw0Erq5qMdMK1gqyewBDEWUo5_moR919WM0OKRgm

Poor Mommy!

*****SARCASTIC CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwz9Nqu1gRw

Laughing 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum