Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sign the petition - stop Keystone XL

+4
Markle
2seaoat
ZVUGKTUBM
Floridatexan
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

knothead

knothead

2seaoat wrote:Granted the current rail and truck configuration could remain.  However, there is a carbon footprint on the pipeline and the truck, rail combo.  Long term we need to reduce our carbon footprint, and absent the underlying debate of the use of oil at all, the pipeline is carbon footprint reduction choice.

Can not deny the merits . . . . I'm fighting for jobs!

Markle

Markle

Gunz wrote:Have you ever even seen a train with 2,000 cars?- Markle       No sir and I doubt I will since you were referring to 2000 barrel capacity and not a 2000 unit tankcar consist.    I left out the other part of your opinion because I didn't need it to make my own observation.

As you know, that was not my opinion but further explanation in the article.

As you know too, transportation by rail is far more dangerous than pipelines.

Markle

Markle

knothead wrote:
Markle wrote:
Gunz wrote:The railroad-equivalent of this single pipeline would be a train of 75 2,000-barrel tank rail cars everyday- Markle                            That doesn't seem like a very big consist in terms of product movement.    I'm surprised that its not cheaper to move the oil by rail versus pipeline.

Have you ever even seen a train with 2,000 cars?  Much less 75 of them every day.

You left this out of your excerpt.

"It would take a constant line of tanker trucks, about 750 per day, loading up and moving out every two minutes, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to move the volume of even a modest pipeline."

Quite an exaggeration there, the railroads can move any bulk commodity efficiently and ship regularly.  A 100 car train of tank cars with each holding 280,000  gallons would be a routine movement with today's technology. The only limit would be adequate supply of tank cars dedicated to unit train movement.  These, also, are good jobs that pay a very good wage with benefits and coupled with the current 500 trucks per day departing ND would more than suffice to move this product to its destination . . . it's just a fact.

Your 280,000 gallons is only 1/4 the size described in the article. If trains were so much more safe and economical, why do we have 2 million miles of tank lines. The article also speaks of 750 tanker trucks, per DAY leaving ONE SITE, not the state of North Dakota.

Why do you think MORE spilled oil and MORE accidents is a grand idea?

Markle

Markle

The Dude wrote:The refined oil will be sold to Latin America it will not stay in this country that was already decided in Congress.

Trans Canada is using eminent domain to condemn American land for an oil pipeline. The criteria for eminent domain seizure for an oil pipeline by a foreign corporation that does not benefit the public good would be illegal.

I have a problem with a foreign company using eminent domain in this country period.

Not true about the eminent domain for an oil line not being for the public good so it is perfectly legal.

knothead

knothead

Markle wrote:
The Dude wrote:The refined oil will be sold to Latin America it will not stay in this country that was already decided in Congress.

Trans Canada is using eminent domain to condemn American land for an oil pipeline. The criteria for eminent domain seizure for an oil pipeline by a foreign corporation that does not benefit the public good would be illegal.

I have a problem with a foreign company using eminent domain in this country period.

Not true about the eminent domain for an oil line not being for the public good so it is perfectly legal.

The only real benefit is it saves transit cost and reduces green house emissions . . . the savings go to Trans Canada not to lower fuel costs.

Markle

Markle

knothead wrote:
Markle wrote:

The only real benefit is it saves transit cost and reduces green house emissions . . . the savings go to Trans Canada not to lower fuel costs.

So what is the problem? They're the ones investing the money are they not?

knothead

knothead

Markle wrote:
knothead wrote:
Markle wrote:

So what is the problem?  They're the ones investing the money are they not?

As I have previously stated, the problem is we are going to get this oil whether it be by pipeline or no pipeline. Further, the project will establish a relatively few permanent jobs while the jobs of trucking and railroad transport will be lost . . . even if it is a wash why would we take that risk of polluting the Agalla aquifer? Just common sense to me. We are going to have access to the oil no matter what.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum