Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sign the petition - stop Keystone XL

+4
Markle
2seaoat
ZVUGKTUBM
Floridatexan
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.foe.org/news/archives/2013-09-a-polluted-process-keystone-xl-the-state-department

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Here is what is likely to happen..... In a few months, Barrack Obama will very quietly approve the pipeline. He'll make some excuses to try and muffle the noise from the activists who are clamoring against this.

Regardless, whether the pipeline is approved or not, it will not stop the Canadians from extracting all 175 billion barrels of bitumen from the Athabasca Oil Sands in Alberta. It will not stop the diluted bitumen from crossing the border and coming to refineries in the U.S. Instead of being shipped by pipeline, it will continue to be shipped by rail like it is currently. Those trains will continue to cross the same aquifers that the pipeline would cross, daily.

Barrack Obama has been very friendly to the oil industry, though he talks it up a bit differently. Oil production has risen every year he has been in office, and will continue to rise at least until 2020, where it may level off some. He wants a good relationship with our ally and NATO partner to the north, and he wants to stay friends with the corporatists in the oil industry. I don't believe he is going to start picking on the energy industry anytime too soon. It's just reality.....

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Never let the oil flow baby!!!!

2seaoat

Sorry, but 1/2 of the pipeline capacity was already built five years ago and that awful oil is currently flowing into Illinois. I crossed over the junction of the pipeline today returning from Northwestern Hospital. Not one person made a fuss about the first pipeline. Now it suddenly is the end of the world if the second leg is constructed. I want solar, wind, hydro, and other renewables to grow as a percentage of our generating capacity, but I saw the largest fish kill happen because a 54 tanker car rail CSX train derailed during high water conditions which compromised a crossing over a creek. A lady was killed at the nearby crossing and that ethanol poured into the streams and then rivers and choked and killed fish and other wildlife.

Get compliance with local Nebraska law, and follow all laws and safeguards, but to think the pipeline is not already bringing the crude to refineries is simply naive, nor to think that a petition is going to stop this leg of the pipeline is silly. Carbon tax, credit for renewables, and other positive incentives to lower pollution and increase yields in renewables is a policy of common sense and much more important than futility to stop carbon based energy sources from being utilized......they simply need to pay the price.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

2seaoat wrote:Sorry, but 1/2 of the pipeline capacity was already built five years ago and that awful oil is currently flowing into Illinois.  I crossed over the junction of the pipeline today returning from Northwestern Hospital.  Not one person made a fuss about the first pipeline.  Now it suddenly is the end of the world if the second leg is constructed.  I want solar, wind, hydro, and other renewables to grow as a percentage of our generating capacity, but I saw the largest fish kill happen because a 54 tanker car rail CSX train derailed during high water conditions which compromised a crossing over a creek.  A lady was killed at the nearby crossing and that ethanol poured into the streams and then rivers and choked and killed fish and other wildlife.

Get compliance with local Nebraska law, and follow all laws and safeguards, but to think the pipeline is not already bringing the crude to refineries is simply naive, nor to think that a petition is going to stop this leg of the pipeline is silly.  Carbon tax, credit for renewables, and other positive incentives to lower pollution and increase yields in renewables is a policy of common sense and much more important than futility to stop carbon based energy sources from being utilized......they simply need to pay the price.

Good points, Seaoat. The march toward a future based on renewable energy is irreversible. Solar will be a big part of that. However, fossil fuels will continue to be important to the world for the foreseeable future; likely for the next several decades as the capacity and technologies for renewable energy grow (and these are growing--especially the technology). Climate-change proponents need to understand this.  

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:
http://www.foe.org/news/archives/2013-09-a-polluted-process-keystone-xl-the-state-department

Why? Cut more jobs and further endanger us by transporting that oil by rail?

knothead

knothead

they simply need to pay the price.

I fear I am not aware of all the facts . . . to begin with Mr. Oats, my question is what price is being paid by TransCanada to traverse our nation? What is in it for us as a nation? Jobs? Only a handful of permanent jobs will be created after completion. The benefit of access to the refined product? The oil will be sold on the world market from a tax free zone in Houston as I understand it but the USA will have no debs on a % of the refined oil or a tiered price system to provide an incentive for us to approve it given the known risk. Good policy decisions must weigh the risk/benefit in my opinion and because the Ogallala aquifer lies extremely close to the surface and this buried pipeline lying within that zone poses an extreme risk of a leak going unnoticed for months after which the damage is widespread and almost impossible to mitigate. I agree with your position that we need to utilize a combination of renewables and oil will always be central for the forseeable future. I'm skeptical . . .

Sal

Sal

knothead wrote:
 What is in it for us as a nation? 

All the risk and none of the reward. 

Your analysis is spot on. 

And yes, it will be built. 

Build it!!!!!

knothead

knothead

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Build it!!!!!

Can you respond to the question at hand PD? What is in it for us as a nation?

2seaoat

Right now the first leg of the pipeline is bringing that "dirty oil" to Illinois refineries and it has been argued this direct transmission of oil to those refineries has lowered midwest gas prices by almost 3 cents a gallon. The building of second leg will actually hurt the midwest because a lower volume will go to the midwest and more will be exported. However, keeping our refineries full and efficient brings foreign currency to America and helps us with our balance of payments. Those exports are essential to keep America in the loop. Oil will not stop being used simply by petitions being signed. I will find credibility among Americans who choose energy efficient cars, insulate their homes, choose energy saving lights and appliances, and support candidates who reward with tax incentives for renewables and not this negative campaign against a reality which is pumping dirty oil as we speak and is benefiting Americans.

Markle

Markle

knothead wrote:

Can you respond to the question at hand PD?  What is in it for us as a nation?

An excellent source of oil from a friendly nation with no danger of it having been carried here in gigantic tankers.

It is going to be developed so do you prefer it come by rail which is far more dangerous and expensive? Oh, that's right, you want us to have little solar panels on the top of our cars.

knothead

knothead

2seaoat wrote:Right now the first leg of the pipeline is bringing that "dirty oil" to Illinois refineries and it has been argued this direct transmission of oil to those refineries has lowered midwest gas prices by almost 3 cents a gallon.  The building of second leg will actually hurt the midwest because a lower volume will go to the midwest and more will be exported.  However, keeping our refineries full and efficient brings foreign currency to America and helps us with our balance of payments.  Those exports are essential to keep America in the loop.  Oil will not stop being used simply by petitions being signed.  I will find credibility among Americans who choose energy efficient cars, insulate their homes, choose energy saving lights and appliances, and support candidates who reward with tax incentives for renewables and not this negative campaign against a reality which is pumping dirty oil as we speak and is benefiting Americans.

What you are saying SO does make sense, especially on the balance of trade and keeping the USA in the loop, however, I continue to ask myself the same daunting question . . . why, if the oil is going to be exported eventually from our shores and continue to be refined in our refineries (Ill. or TX) it will nonetheless remain static. The risks posed by burying this 36" pipeline in an aquifer central to the well being of the entire Midwest and rich farmland when, by not utilizing the pipeline, we will still receive the benefits of the product absent this inordinate risk. A train can derail and a truck can crash but those spills are easily managed . . . The pathetic amount of permanent jobs will not even offset the good jobs lost . . . TransCanada says it ships 500 trucks of oil each day . . .well that is 500 good paying jobs plus the support jobs created. Add in to that the loss of the jobs on the railroad and we are talking a significant number of good paying jobs and for what exactly? I appreciate your comments but I remain skeptical and somewhat conflicted.

no stress

no stress

knothead wrote:

For one, we're not buying oil from the people that hate us. That's a plus in my book. Second, the pipeline will create more than a handful of jobs as alluded to by someone as it will require maintenance, transportion employees and a host of contractors to keep it going. FYI, there are already thousands of miles of pipelines crisscrossing our country carrying hazardous materials . They have been very safe and have contaminated no-ones water as some would have you believe.

knothead

knothead

Gunz wrote:
knothead wrote:

For one, we're not buying oil from the people that hate us.  That's a plus in my book.   Second, the pipeline will create more than a handful of jobs as alluded to by someone as it will require maintenance, transportion employees and  a host of contractors to keep it going.    FYI, there are already thousands of miles of pipelines crisscrossing our country carrying hazardous materials .   They have been very safe and have contaminated no-ones water as some would have you believe.

Agree Gunz, I understand that point of view . . . I'm no tree hugger although I am pragmatic and weigh the consequences . . . we are going to get the oil pipeline or no pipeline . . . . we will not have a net increase of good jobs though. That matters . . . at least to me. How do we mitigate an unknown leak not discovered until months have passed allowing this toxic mixture to enter migrate into this pristine aquifer? There is very little benefit, if any, in approving it but it will most likely get approval . . . we will sell our soul for a buck these days, won't we?

2seaoat

The current pipeline crosses a friend's 150 year of family ownership grain farm in some of the richest farmland in the world. It goes under a major interstate right by his farm, and they are very secretive as to locations of these pipelines. Pipeline transmission is by far the safest way to transport oil and natural gas. The local Nebraska debate is proper, and route sitings will be based upon safety concerns. I lived next to a 3 foot 300 lb natural gas pipeline for almost a decade. If it was compromised, I would not die from the explosion. I would already be suffocated. In Texas, trucks would simply stall because the gas displaced the air necessary for the engines to run and people suffocated prior to the gas finding an ignition source.

The Nebraska land is less fertile, and no more exposing of aquifers than the first leg of the pipeline going to the Illinois refineries. I think the whole carbon debate should be handled as a pollution debate. If you are going to buy a bottle in Oregon and throw it along the road, you have paid a price for that pollution. Sure it does not stop pollution, but it deters the same through incentives to keep the bottle or collect the same when it is trash on the roadside. We need smart incentives to lower pollution.

Markle

Markle

knothead wrote:
Gunz wrote:
knothead wrote:

For one, we're not buying oil from the people that hate us.  That's a plus in my book.   Second, the pipeline will create more than a handful of jobs as alluded to by someone as it will require maintenance, transportion employees and  a host of contractors to keep it going.    FYI, there are already thousands of miles of pipelines crisscrossing our country carrying hazardous materials .   They have been very safe and have contaminated no-ones water as some would have you believe.

Agree Gunz, I understand that point of view . . . I'm no tree hugger although I am pragmatic and weigh the consequences . . . we are going to get the oil pipeline or no pipeline . . . . we will not have a net increase of good jobs though.  That matters . . . at least to me.  How do we mitigate an unknown leak not discovered until months have passed allowing this toxic mixture to enter migrate into this pristine aquifer?  There is very little benefit, if any, in approving it but it will most likely get approval . . . we will sell our soul for a buck these days, won't we?  

Would you care to check and see how many miles of underground pipelines we have in this country already?

No, I didn't think so.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:The current pipeline crosses a friend's 150 year of family ownership grain farm in some of the richest farmland in the world.   It goes under a major interstate right by his farm, and they are very secretive as to locations of these pipelines.  Pipeline transmission is by far the safest way to transport oil and natural gas.  The local Nebraska debate is proper, and route sitings will be based upon safety concerns.   I lived next to a 3 foot 300 lb natural gas pipeline for almost a decade.  If it was compromised, I would not die from the explosion.  I would already be suffocated.  In Texas, trucks would simply stall because the gas displaced the air necessary for the engines to run and people suffocated prior to the gas finding an ignition source.

The Nebraska land is less fertile, and no more exposing of aquifers than the first leg of the pipeline going to the Illinois refineries.   I think the whole carbon debate should be handled as a pollution debate.  If you are going to buy a bottle in Oregon and throw it along the road, you have paid a price for that pollution.  Sure it does not stop pollution, but it deters the same through incentives to keep the bottle or collect the same when it is trash on the roadside.  We need smart incentives to lower pollution.

You must have the wrong thread. This pipeline has nothing, whatsoever to do with gas.

knothead

knothead

Markle wrote:
knothead wrote:
Gunz wrote:
knothead wrote:

Agree Gunz, I understand that point of view . . . I'm no tree hugger although I am pragmatic and weigh the consequences . . . we are going to get the oil pipeline or no pipeline . . . . we will not have a net increase of good jobs though.  That matters . . . at least to me.  How do we mitigate an unknown leak not discovered until months have passed allowing this toxic mixture to enter migrate into this pristine aquifer?  There is very little benefit, if any, in approving it but it will most likely get approval . . . we will sell our soul for a buck these days, won't we?  

Would you care to check and see how many miles of underground pipelines we have in this country already?

No, I didn't think so.

Doesn't matter a smidge what you think but my remarks were directed to Mr. Gunz . . .

2seaoat

You must have the wrong thread. This pipeline has nothing, whatsoever to do with gas.

It is an oil pipeline. I simply talked about the first leg being completed transporting dirty oil to Illinois refineries, and the fact that existing pipelines have risks but their overall safety makes them the preferred method of transmission and transport of the product. However, thank you for the directions to the proper thread.

no stress

no stress

knothead wrote:
Gunz wrote:
knothead wrote:

I am not educated enough in modern oil product transfer via pipelines to guess as to what safety features are in place to detect a loss of product through leakage. I can safely guess that with oil being as expensive as it is and also it being considered hazmat while enroute to the refinery surely a company would have detection instruments along the route to figure lost product. I agree that we have put the environment on the backdoor stoop when it comes to jobs and most people will take fifty jobs here and a dozen there no matter the cost. That, I'm sure will come back and bite our kids in the future.

knothead

knothead

Gunz wrote:
knothead wrote:
Gunz wrote:
knothead wrote:

I am not educated enough in modern oil product transfer via pipelines to guess as to what safety features are in place to detect a loss of product through leakage.   I can safely guess that with oil being as expensive as it is and also it being considered hazmat while enroute to the refinery surely a company would have detection instruments along the route to figure lost product.    I agree that we have put the environment on the backdoor stoop when it comes to jobs and most people will take fifty jobs here and a dozen there no matter the cost.   That, I'm sure will come back and bite our kids in the future.

Honest and genuine reply . . . . thanks Gunz . . . I only want to avoid a environmental disaster causing epic damage to a single source that so much and so many rely.

no stress

no stress

knothead wrote:
Gunz wrote:
knothead wrote:
Gunz wrote:
knothead wrote:

I am not educated enough in modern oil product transfer via pipelines to guess as to what safety features are in place to detect a loss of product through leakage.   I can safely guess that with oil being as expensive as it is and also it being considered hazmat while enroute to the refinery surely a company would have detection instruments along the route to figure lost product.    I agree that we have put the environment on the backdoor stoop when it comes to jobs and most people will take fifty jobs here and a dozen there no matter the cost.   That, I'm sure will come back and bite our kids in the future.

Honest and genuine reply . . . . thanks Gunz . . . I only want to avoid a environmental disaster causing epic damage to a single source that so much and so many rely.
I understand and am solidly with you on that.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Gunz wrote:
knothead wrote:

That is a very big plus, Gunz. If new found supply keeps America from having to buy more of it from overseas and defend the supply with American soldiers, it is a good thing. The energy sector in America is doing well, and is one of the brighter areas of an economy still trying to recover from the crash of 2008.  And true, there are thousands of miles of pipelines already crossing the Ogallala Aquifer.

knothead

knothead

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Gunz wrote:
knothead wrote:

That is a very big plus, Gunz. If new found supply keeps America from having to buy more of it from overseas and defend the supply with American soldiers, it is a good thing. The energy sector in America is doing well, and is one of the brighter areas of an economy still trying to recover from the crash of 2008.  And true, there are thousands of miles of pipelines already crossing the Ogallala Aquifer.

Point taken Z . . . . it's a good one and difficult to ignore!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum