Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sign the petition - stop Keystone XL

+4
Markle
2seaoat
ZVUGKTUBM
Floridatexan
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

knothead wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Gunz wrote:
knothead wrote:
PACEDOG#1 wrote:Build it!!!!!

Can you respond to the question at hand PD?  What is in it for us as a nation?
    For one, we're not buying oil from the people that hate us.  That's a plus in my book.   Second, the pipeline will create more than a handful of jobs as alluded to by someone as it will require maintenance, transportion employees and  a host of contractors to keep it going.    FYI, there are already thousands of miles of pipelines crisscrossing our country carrying hazardous materials .   They have been very safe and have contaminated no-ones water as some would have you believe.

That is a very big plus, Gunz. If new found supply keeps America from having to buy more of it from overseas and defend the supply with American soldiers, it is a good thing. The energy sector in America is doing well, and is one of the brighter areas of an economy still trying to recover from the crash of 2008.  And true, there are thousands of miles of pipelines already crossing the Ogallala Aquifer.

Point taken Z . . . . it's a good one and difficult to ignore!

Thanks, Knots. Now, we just got to keep those dang unit trains hauling oil on the tracks, man..... They say that shale oil has more lighter fractions mixed in it (natural gas liquids), and that it is more flammable. That is why those oil trains from the Bakken Formation have been lighting up the sky with explosions after derailment.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

knothead

knothead

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
knothead wrote:
ZVUGKTUBM wrote:
Gunz wrote:
knothead wrote:

For one, we're not buying oil from the people that hate us.  That's a plus in my book.   Second, the pipeline will create more than a handful of jobs as alluded to by someone as it will require maintenance, transportion employees and  a host of contractors to keep it going.    FYI, there are already thousands of miles of pipelines crisscrossing our country carrying hazardous materials .   They have been very safe and have contaminated no-ones water as some would have you believe.

That is a very big plus, Gunz. If new found supply keeps America from having to buy more of it from overseas and defend the supply with American soldiers, it is a good thing. The energy sector in America is doing well, and is one of the brighter areas of an economy still trying to recover from the crash of 2008.  And true, there are thousands of miles of pipelines already crossing the Ogallala Aquifer.

Point taken Z . . . . it's a good one and difficult to ignore!

Thanks, Knots. Now, we just got to keep those dang unit trains hauling oil on the tracks, man..... They say that shale oil has more lighter fractions mixed in it (natural gas liquids), and that it is more flammable. That is why those oil trains from the Bakken Formation have been lighting up the sky with explosions after derailment.

The RR is taking steps to make it safer . . . a number of simple steps to practically eliminate the risk. It can be done . . . it was here with hazmat shipments and as long as the rules/protocols are followed . . . you know the rest.

Sal

Sal

Gunz wrote:
    For one, we're not buying oil from the people that hate us. 

As opposed to what?

Multi-national globalists that care about nothing but share inflation?

Is there a difference??

Sal

Sal

The argument is completely retarded. 

They are asking to build an unreliable transport mechanism, for the dirtiest fuel imaginable, at no benefit to the host country. 

This is not rocket science. 

But, it will be built because profit in the short term rules the world. 

knothead

knothead

Sal wrote:The argument is completely retarded. 

They are asking to build an unreliable transport mechanism, for the dirtiest fuel imaginable, at no benefit to the host country. 

Money talks and bullshit walks Sal . . .

Sal

Sal

knothead wrote:Money talks and bullshit walks Sal . . .

Duh ...

The Dude

The Dude

The refined oil will be sold to Latin America it will not stay in this country that was already decided in Congress.

Trans Canada is using eminent domain to condemn American land for an oil pipeline. The criteria for eminent domain seizure for an oil pipeline by a foreign corporation that does not benefit the public good would be illegal.

I have a problem with a foreign company using eminent domain in this country period.

2seaoat

I have a problem with a foreign company using eminent domain in this country period.

In the early 80s I was involved in title work a acquisition of easements for fiber optic installations which were quickly making the microwave towers obsolete. Almost 90% of the acquisitions were cooperative arms length transactions, but a couple of stubborn landowners can stop an easement, and that is why the law has always been very cooperative with easement acquisitions, because they are not a traditional taking of the land and most pipelines other than the initial construction and forty to fifty years later the upgrade, the landowner does not even know they are there. With fiber optics the ownership records were gathered with legal descriptions on a number of routes through a county, and if a landowner said no, rather than negotiation, they often would just move over to the next tract of land. Pretty soon the farmers were hoping to get the line under their property. Gas and oil pipelines are not as flexible as fiberoptic routing, and because of the risks, soil conditions are a much more important consideration, but without the ability to expedite condemnation, no road or pipeline could be built.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Gunz wrote:
knothead wrote:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-03-07/keystone-xl-energy-independence-isnt-a-good-reason

Give Me One Good Reason Obama Should Approve Keystone XL

Really, there could be two:

1. President Obama, Secretary of State John Kerry, and economic-growth focused Washington want China as its new BFF, and plan to let Beijing know by offering up an energy supply from our friends to the North.

2. Obama, Kerry, and Canadian prime minister Stephen Harper have worked out a quid pro quo. The Yanks will accept a pipe carrying toxic sludge through America’s bread basket so long as Canada takes over counter-terrorism in Afghanistan, sends peace-keepers to Ukraine, and Harper himself places Justin Bieber under house arrest so he can’t tour in the lower 48.

STORY: The Petro States of America
Some American teens might not find that last measure in the national interest, but some version of these realpolitik rationales—overture to China, huge favor to Harper —are about the only ones left to explain why Obama hasn’t killed the proposed 875-mile final leg of pipeline from Alberta to the Gulf of Mexico.

There appeared to be a number of strong arguments in favor of Keystone XL when it first became a national story, beginning with jobs. Several U.S. representatives and senators testified that the pipeline would yield 20,000, 40,000, or even 100,000 new jobs. The recession made those prospects extra compelling. Turns out they were extra optimistic, too. Now we know the pipeline might generate about 3,900 temporary (two-year) construction jobs, and about 50 permanent ones. (Should we really be surprised? The whole point of a pipeline is that it’s automated!)

The other big case for Keystone—also given full voice by pols who received campaign help from oil and gas lobbies—was the chance to rely on a friendly neighbor for oil rather than an unstable Middle Eastern regime. But now, thanks in part to fracking and the Bakken reserve in North Dakota, U.S. oil inventories are at a 21-year high; there’s a glut of unrefined oil sitting in Cushing, Oklahoma, and the U.S. is expected to become the world’s leading oil producer next year. And the sweet crude pouring out of the Bakken is of far finer quality than bitumen, the sour, thick oil sands extraction that’s effectively steamed out of the soil beneath Alberta’s former boreal forest. What’s more, Keystone XL isn’t really designed to serve the U.S.; it’s meant to get Alberta’s tar sands to Texas refineries and ready for export. The Keystone XL would better serve China’s energy “independence” than America’s.

STORY: Keystone Pipeline Would Be too Little, too Late for Ukraine Crisis
Oh, but surely a $5.4 billion infrastructure project would provide the U.S. economy a welcome boost and added tax revenues? Yes, more than $3 billion over its lifetime, according to the market analysis in the Jan. 31 Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement on the Keystone XL prepared by the U.S. Department of State [PDF]. Yet before the U.S. collects taxes from refiners, resellers, and exporters, it will first spend hundreds of millions on subsidies so these companies can invest in the technologies needed to make useable fuels out of bitumen. One example: Houston-based Motiva, which operates major storage facilities and scores of Shell gas stations, and is slated to receive between $680 million and $1.1 billion from U.S. taxpayers so it can deal with tar sands oil. So in the near term, economic stimulus related to Keystone XL will come from Washington, not be paid to the IRS.

None of these arguments should particularly matter, though, as Obama has indicated that impact on the earth’s climate is his pass/fail for approving the project. This has led to a ridiculous effort to prove that the pipeline itself will not lead to a great deal more carbon entering the atmosphere. That’s a feint. The real question isn’t how carbon-intensive the three-foot diameter pipe is but how much carbon-polluting oil it brings to market.

Presuming the tar sands will be developed with or without the Keystone XL, State’s estimates of carbon emissions were modest in its Jan. 31 report. Even so, the report acknowledges that the project will accelerate climate change. Hence, says Susan Casey-Lefkowitz, international program director of the Natural Resources Defense Council, “President Obama now has all the information he needs to reject the pipeline.”

STORY: Did the State Department Fail Obama on Keystone XL?
A new report this week, using some of the same forecast formulas, is more damning yet. It suggests that State massively understated the consequences of the Keystone XL. According to Carbon Tracker’s analysis, by facilitating tar sands oil production the proposed pipeline will result in carbon emissions equivalent to 46 new coal burning power plants..."

(more at site)

-----------------------

Where is the win for the US here?  We get dirty oil, get to fund the technology (retrofit) to refine it through subsidies, and we export the oil to China?  WTF?  

My grandfather and uncle worked offshore in the Gulf for many years...my sister and her then husband both worked on the Alyeska pipeline during its formation...for Bechtol...and my brother is an oil-field troubleshooter...my daughter works in oil leasing in the Bakken formation...I am certainly not anti-oil...but I don't see the benefits to our country for approving this particular pipeline...except for a few very well placed individuals, most citizens would not benefit from Keystone XL.

The Dude

The Dude

This was my point also. The Case for the Common Good has to be pretty overwhelming. In this case it is not. The refined oil is not staying in this country therefore it will not make us less dependent on foreign oil.

And for a Canadian corp ( a Canadian citizen) to exercise condemnation of American's property against their will is unconscionable.

2seaoat

First, the first leg of the pipeline which is complete and delivering the dirty oil to Illinois refineries is 100% being used to displace foreign oil. Second, domestic oil from North Dakota will feed both pipelines. Third, not all refined products from the second leg of the pipeline will be exported. When we export more than we import, our dollar strengthens. The value added in the refinement process is an export which helps our balance of trade. This pipeline is a no brainer. However, if you want to talk about taxing high polluting energy sources and giving tax credits to clean energy alternatives, I would not argue and that would be logical, but this argument is not logical.......it is emotional. The local zoning and the courts in Nebraska will delay this another three years, and that is all part of a healthy debate and cost benefit analysis which makes this country great.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

All oil is 'dirty'. It is black and gooey, and you would not want to get any on your shirt. They say that oil-sands oil is 'dirtier' because it comes from mining. Only until about 2020, as roughly 80% of the oil-sands resource is inaccessible to miniing and must be recovered using 'in-situ' methods, chiefly by drilling wells and loosening the bitumen using injected steam, then pumping it to the surface. But, to some it will still not be 'clean' enough, because to make the steam, you need to burn gas, which adds CO2 to the atmosphere----there you have it---the crux of the 'dirty' oil. Well, steam-flooding is used all over the oil industry in conventional oil extraction, which means just about all all of it is 'dirty' to one degree or another. Just thought I would clarify that.

Markle

Markle

knothead wrote:
Markle wrote:
knothead wrote:
Gunz wrote:
knothead wrote:

Agree Gunz, I understand that point of view . . . I'm no tree hugger although I am pragmatic and weigh the consequences . . . we are going to get the oil pipeline or no pipeline . . . . we will not have a net increase of good jobs though.  That matters . . . at least to me.  How do we mitigate an unknown leak not discovered until months have passed allowing this toxic mixture to enter migrate into this pristine aquifer?  There is very little benefit, if any, in approving it but it will most likely get approval . . . we will sell our soul for a buck these days, won't we?  

Would you care to check and see how many miles of underground pipelines we have in this country already?

No, I didn't think so.

Doesn't matter a smidge what you think but my remarks were directed to Mr. Gunz . . .

So you don't know what you're talking about...and you don't care. So typical of my good progressive friends.

Try again, just out of curiosity.

Would you care to check and see how many miles of underground pipelines we have in this country already?

No, I didn't think so.

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:The argument is completely retarded. 

Unreliable...wow.  Who knew pipelines were unreliable.  What difference does it make how dirty the oil is anyway?  Doesn't it get refined?

Where would your income come from were it not for PROFIT?

Last edited by Markle on 3/7/2014, 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Markle

Markle

knothead wrote:
Gunz wrote:
knothead wrote:
Gunz wrote:
knothead wrote:

Agree Gunz, I understand that point of view . . . I'm no tree hugger although I am pragmatic and weigh the consequences . . . we are going to get the oil pipeline or no pipeline . . . . we will not have a net increase of good jobs though.  That matters . . . at least to me.  How do we mitigate an unknown leak not discovered until months have passed allowing this toxic mixture to enter migrate into this pristine aquifer?  There is very little benefit, if any, in approving it but it will most likely get approval . . . we will sell our soul for a buck these days, won't we?  
    I am not educated enough in modern oil product transfer via pipelines to guess as to what safety features are in place to detect a loss of product through leakage.   I can safely guess that with oil being as expensive as it is and also it being considered hazmat while enroute to the refinery surely a company would have detection instruments along the route to figure lost product.    I agree that we have put the environment on the backdoor stoop when it comes to jobs and most people will take fifty jobs here and a dozen there no matter the cost.   That, I'm sure will come back and bite our kids in the future.

Honest and genuine reply . . . . thanks Gunz . . . I only want to avoid a environmental disaster causing epic damage to a single source that so much and so many rely.

ONE PIPELINE causing EPIC DAMAGE really? How many pipelines do we have today without EPIC DAMAGE?

Here, from the U.S. Department of Transportation Pipeline and Hazardous Materials and Safety Administration.

The nation's more than 2.6 million miles of pipelines safely deliver trillions of cubic feet of natural gas and hundreds of billions of ton/miles of liquid petroleum products each year. They are essential: the volumes of energy products they move are well beyond the capacity of other forms of transportation. It would take a constant line of tanker trucks, about 750 per day, loading up and moving out every two minutes, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to move the volume of even a modest pipeline. The railroad-equivalent of this single pipeline would be a train of 75 2,000-barrel tank rail cars everyday.

Read more: http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/portal/site/PHMSA/menuitem.ebdc7a8a7e39f2e55cf2031050248a0c/?vgnextoid=a62924cc45ea4110VgnVCM1000009ed07898RCRD&vgnextchannel=f7280665b91ac010VgnVCM1000008049a8c0RCRD

Markle

Markle

The Dude wrote:This was my point also. The Case for the Common Good has to be pretty overwhelming. In this case it is not. The refined oil is not staying in this country therefore it will not make us less dependent on foreign oil.

And for a Canadian corp ( a Canadian citizen) to exercise condemnation of American's property against their will is unconscionable.

Please show us a reliable source stating that all the refined oil will be shipped out of our country.

How are the additional jobs from increased oil refining a bad thing?

no stress

no stress

The railroad-equivalent of this single pipeline would be a train of 75 2,000-barrel tank rail cars everyday- Markle That doesn't seem like a very big consist in terms of product movement. I'm surprised that its not cheaper to move the oil by rail versus pipeline.

knothead

knothead

Gunz wrote:The railroad-equivalent of this single pipeline would be a train of 75 2,000-barrel tank rail cars everyday- Markle                            That doesn't seem like a very big consist in terms of product movement.    I'm surprised that its not cheaper to move the oil by rail versus pipeline.

I would agree with you Gunz . . . I would opine that over time it would be cheaper for TransCanada but that transit savings, however, would not be reflected as a cost savings to consumers as that benefit would go to TransCanada. America will have the access to this oil no matter what is ultimately decided as it will be sold on the world market as as has been alluded to in previous numerous posts.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Gunz wrote:The railroad-equivalent of this single pipeline would be a train of 75 2,000-barrel tank rail cars everyday- Markle                            That doesn't seem like a very big consist in terms of product movement.    I'm surprised that its not cheaper to move the oil by rail versus pipeline.

The oil sands bitumen is very viscous and must be upgraded (diluted) with naphtha to make it flow. The dilutant is refined out at the refinery and recycled for reuse. I read in an Oil & Gas Journal article that they have found it needs to be diluted less when shipped by rail. So, I guess it needs to be less viscous, requiring more dilutant to be shipped via pipeline.

Markle

Markle

Have you ever even seen a train with 2,000 cars?  Much less 75 of them every day.

You left this out of your excerpt.

"It would take a constant line of tanker trucks, about 750 per day, loading up and moving out every two minutes, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to move the volume of even a modest pipeline."

no stress

no stress

Have you ever even seen a train with 2,000 cars?- Markle No sir and I doubt I will since you were referring to 2000 barrel capacity and not a 2000 unit tankcar consist. I left out the other part of your opinion because I didn't need it to make my own observation.

2seaoat

The pipeline is the logical choice. It however has become the battle line for the fight on carbon pollution. I think the debate is healthy, but I sense we need to focus on exploiting these resources and invest in clean energy which is renewable. The wind turbine revolution started with tax credits. We need massive and generous tax credits for solar and wind turbines. We also need pipelines. This is not a zero sum game where all of one is the only way to achieve victory. America needs common sense.

knothead

knothead

Markle wrote:

Have you ever even seen a train with 2,000 cars?  Much less 75 of them every day.

You left this out of your excerpt.

"It would take a constant line of tanker trucks, about 750 per day, loading up and moving out every two minutes, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to move the volume of even a modest pipeline."

Quite an exaggeration there, the railroads can move any bulk commodity efficiently and ship regularly. A 100 car train of tank cars with each holding 280,000 gallons would be a routine movement with today's technology. The only limit would be adequate supply of tank cars dedicated to unit train movement. These, also, are good jobs that pay a very good wage with benefits and coupled with the current 500 trucks per day departing ND would more than suffice to move this product to its destination . . . it's just a fact.

knothead

knothead

2seaoat wrote:The pipeline is the logical choice.  It however has become the battle line for the fight on carbon pollution.   I think the debate is healthy, but I sense we need to focus on exploiting these resources and invest in clean energy which is renewable.   The wind turbine revolution started with tax credits.  We need massive and generous tax credits for solar and wind turbines.   We also need pipelines.   This is not a zero sum game where all of one is the only way to achieve victory.  America needs common sense.

Mr. Oats, I continue to advocate for the denial of the pipeline through the heartlands although I do understand there are many such existing pipelines already in place as you have alluded to. I am trying to focus on the distortion of how many jobs will be created . . . . all the trucks and all the railroad jobs will be lost and a remarkably low amount of 'new' jobs will be created . . . . . it will be a net loss of jobs actually. I agree with your premise regarding incentives for renewable energy to encourage advancement and reduce dependence on fossil fuel.

2seaoat

Granted the current rail and truck configuration could remain. However, there is a carbon footprint on the pipeline and the truck, rail combo. Long term we need to reduce our carbon footprint, and absent the underlying debate of the use of oil at all, the pipeline is carbon footprint reduction choice.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum