Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tell me again how tourism and speaches and sports events help the county.

4 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Vast areas of Escambia county are being over looked and discarded because no one really gives a shit..  Maybe the new YMCA will help.  Magic Johnson has a grip and grin while, for the last few years, a school has been in a serious decline.  Maybe he could have spoke at the School campus.  LOL  Not a damn chance...But they do need a Starbucks on Campus. ...........Now they want my God Damn ideas on how to fix the school?  Shit!!  What do we pay the ass holes that are in charge to do?  Oh. I know. Give speeches and conduct studies while making a good salary for fucking up a school. .....

From the PNJ

Do you have ideas to help Warrington Middle School?

A community meeting on Feb. 25 will focus on ways to improve success rates for students at Warrington Middle School.

Escambia County Commissioner Gene Valentino and Superintendent Malcolm Thomas will hold the event to discuss ideas.

The school is one of the poorest and lowest performing in the county. A full 100 percent of the 716 students there qualified last year for free or reduced price lunches.

And this year is a critical one. The school dropped from a D to an F last year on the state’s standardized test. Less than 30 percent of students at Warrington passed the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test 2.0 in all areas. In reading, only 26 percent passed; in math, 22 percent; in writing, 23 percent; in science, 29 percent.

If the school does not manage to pull up its grades, the state will require the school district to put a turnaround plan in place next year.

The meeting – to be held at 5:30 p.m. at Warrington Middle – will include a public forum, where community members will be able to voice their concerns and ideas for how to turn the school around.

The school is located at 450 S. Old Corry Field Rd., in Pensacola. For more information, contact Valentino’s office at 850-595-4920 or call the school at 850-453-7440.

Here is the latest line-up of speakers:

Cumulus Radio Personality Linda “Sonshine” Moorer , the moderator of the event

Capt. Keith Hoskins, Commanding Officer, Naval Air Station Pensacola, will handle the pledge.

Clery: Reverend Larry Watson,Englewood Baptist Churc; Father Licari, St. Mary’s Catholic Church; Pastor Jim Locke, Hillcrest Baptist Church,; Senior Pastor Michael Thompson, Greater Union Baptist Church, Rabbi Joel Fleekop

Higher Education: Dr. Branden Kelly and Dr. Judy Bense from University of West Florida; Dr. James Lowe, President of Bishop College

Polticians: Malcolm Thomas – Escambia County School District [size=18][/size]Superintendent; Mayor Ashton Hayward – City of Pensacola; Mayor Sandy Stimpson – City of Mobile, Alabama; Florida State Representative Mike Hill; Escambia County Commissioner Gene Valentino; Escambia County Commissioner Wilson Robertson; Escambia

I wonder if Mr Thomas bragged about Warrington Middle in his inspirational speech. All talk and no damn action.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Get better students...

This is the same school where they offered teachers 3000-5000 dollar bonuses to transfer from their current schools and go try to turn it around. They took some of the better teachers and it didn't work so the problem must be elsewhere. Does anyone want to go against the PC crowd and say what the real issues are here?

My ex mother in law used to teach there. She said it was a combat zone where the tail wagged the dog instead of vice versa. She couldn't write a referral on a child for bad behavior without being marked down on her evaluation. She eventually retired rather than continue to work there and that was two principals ago before the huge "switch the teachers and give bonuses program" by Malcolm Thomas. The failing principal at that time was not fired, but rewarded with a huge salary increase and a job downtown. WTH? No wonder some of the schools are as bad as they are in that county.

North Escambia.com
Superintendent Malcolm Thomas won’t be immune from the salary cuts. His salary will be cut 5 percent — about $6,000 from its current $130,436 level.

The guy makes 124, 000+ for having a "F" school?  10th lowest in the stae of Florida? No one even questions his ability but rather invites him to speak about how to solve the areas issues?

To say that nobody cares isn't true, but I think that
the Warrington community will straighten this school out if it is that important to them. Every other intervention has been from outside the community. It's time that the community take ownership of this school. That means mommas, daddies, baby daddies, grandparents. Et al get it on gear.

Ichi,
Why don't you run for ECSB super if you have all the answers?

Aside from the socioeconomic status of the community, think about what else is broken that would help fix the issue? Moreso than not, families without fathers at home are at a huge deficit in that school zone and I would bet my next paycheck on it. When the family situation gets solved, some of the other issues will fix themselves too.

Then look at the school achievement level of whatever parent or grandparent is sending a kid to school there as well. Can a person who never finished school themselves really raise a child and help mentor that child to do well without a decent education themselves ?

You will have to go back 3-4 generations of kids and fix those issues before you can even address how to fix the current ones facing that school.

http://www.ahaprocess.com/who-we-are/dr-ruby-payne/

Read ruby's book on generational poverty and get back to me with some solutions. It's not that easy.

We have a lot of that in SRC believe it or not, but with a different demographic. This was part of my own school's school improvement plan probably 5-6 years ago.

When  my Son went to Warrington Middle(for a very short while) I was involved.  It was a total disaster and that was 15 years ago. They were not receptive to any input from the parents. I pulled my son and enrolled him in a private school.. It was my only option other than Home Schooling him.   Why dont I run for the job?  Because I , like Mr Thomas, have no clue how to fix the problem.  But I will not with hold comment when I see something that is not working.  You can blame the residents of Warrington if you wish.  But the fact is, the system has failed us.  

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Lets form a tactical group called WAS (War on stupidity), we will criminalize all elements of failure. Like if you don't get your homework done A WASWAT will hit your house kick in your door and shoot your dog. Show up late for school and they would go straight to solitary confinement...Okay that's the rough cut leave the rest to some input from the BATF and DEA.

Markle

Markle

The solution is simple. SOLVING the problem is near impossible.

The solution, school vouchers and school choice. Eliminate the teachers union and presto, problem solved.

Not everyone in Warrington is Poor, Black, Homeless, uneducated and a reject from society. That is just the way the local leaders like to portray us. It makes it easier for them to rationalize their own ineptness and failures. When you deliver a sub standard product it is easy to blame the customers for your lack of success..

In my case, the solution to my sons middle school education came in the form of a very small school run by a local church. They got a few certified teachers and opened a small 3 room school in their Sunday school building. It worked. Small classes and good teachers that cared. It was a no frills school but it served the purpose. Perhaps this type of schooling might be part of the solution. It worked for us.

2seaoat

The solution, school vouchers and school choice. Eliminate the teachers union and presto, problem solved.

Vouchers and eliminate teachers unions.....yep the solution is simple.....like the person who thought solving complex issues in education today could be rendered to sound bites. I would guess one would have to be simple to find a solution in that approach.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

If you "progress" to a point where things quit working a sensible course would be to retrace your steps back to where things did work. I think the Captain of the Titanic must have been a liberal.

All of the aforementioned students are eligible for McKay Vouchers I would believe so thst is not an issue. Getting parents involved would be the issue.

by Mr Ichi Today at 1:07 am
Not everyone in Warrington is Poor, Black, Homeless, uneducated and a reject from society. That is just the way the local leaders like to portray us. It makes it easier for them to rationalize their own ineptness and failures. When you deliver a sub standard product it is easy to blame the customers for your lack of success..
-------
If the best teachers (who were recruited countywide with bonuses) can't get it done then it's not the teachers Mr Ichi.

There's a total disconnect of parents taking part in education of the students at Warrington Middle. Part of that is some of the students are smarter than some of the parents. How can a parent with less education and knowledge help their child with school work when the kid is functioning grade levels above their own. Most of the families in that area with students in that school are from low socioeconomic status and broken homes. How many of them roll into school having eaten a decent breakfast? Some are not even living In a real house or with extended family members. The issue at Warrington is not the teachers, it's the customers and all the baggage they bring with them to school.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PACEDOG#1 wrote:There's a total disconnect of parents taking part in education of  the students at Warrington Middle. Part of that is some of the students are smarter than some of the parents. How can a parent with less education and knowledge help their child with school work when the kid is functioning grade levels above their own. Most of the families in that area with students in that school are from low socioeconomic status and broken homes. How many of them roll into school having eaten a decent breakfast? Some are not even living In a real house or with extended family members. The issue at Warrington is not the teachers, it's the customers and all the baggage they bring with them to school.
I think you got this bull by the horns Pace...you are right, but now ..what to do? Kids care more about cellphones and tennis shoes than they do grades and learning.

If the best teachers (who were recruited countywide with bonuses) can't get it done then it's not the teachers Mr Ichi

Well... Fuck it then.  Guess there is no hope. .

Markle

Markle

PACEDOG#1 wrote:All of the aforementioned students are eligible for McKay Vouchers I would believe so thst is not an issue. Getting parents involved would be the issue.

How many have taken advantage of the vouchers, what choices do they have and do the parents have a choice of what school they want their children to attend in general? You know, can they attend any public school too?

The government does not want the involvement of the parents.  Those parents have been taught that all they have to do is have babies and the government will take over from there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum