Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chomsky Talks about Psychopaths and Sociopaths

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

http://www.opednews.com/articles/Chomsky-Talks-about-Psych-by-Rob-Kall-Corporations_Health-Mental-Sociopath-Narcissism_Narcissism_Psychopath-140215-378.html?show=votes#allcomments

(Interview)

(Quoting Chomsky:)

"if you care about other people that's now a very dangerous idea.  If you care about other people you might try to organize or to undermine power and authority.  That's not going to happen if you care only about yourself.  Maybe you can become rich, you don't care whether other people's kids can go to school or afford food  to eat or things like that.  In the United States that's called libertarian for some wild reason.  I mean it's actually highly authoritarian but that doctrine is extremely important for power systems as a way of atomizing and undermining the public."

Now, since we last spoke I have been doing a series of articles on psychopathy, psychopaths, sociopaths, and narcissists and it sure sounds like you're describing them when you describe people who don't care.  

N.C.: Well there is a huge propaganda effort that we are all aware of to try to turn people into psychopaths who don't care about anyone but themselves. That's not new actually.  They go back a hundred and fifty years, the early days of industrialization in the United States.  Working people were bitterly condemning the industrial system that was being imposed, the way it was taking away their freedom, and one of the things they condemned is what they called the new spirit of the age-- 'Gain wealth forgetting all but self,'--  Exactly what you're describing.  That's a hundred and fifty years ago and ever since then there have been enormous efforts to drive these sociopathic attitudes into people's heads.  There are extreme cases like the Ayn Rand cult where it's kind of like, open but yeah we should be psychopaths, and there are, you read a lot of what's called libertarian shouldn't be called that, it's very authoritarian. But a lot of it is based on the same principles.  'Why should I pay taxes to send somebody else's kids to school or why should I support the disabled widow across town with, her social security is her problem, not mine "   That's pathological.  In fact there's an interesting book that just came out which maybe you've seen called The Sociopathic Society by a very good sociologist, Charles Derber and he's describing accurately the development of these things.  And we see them all the time.  

Take the huge attack on healthcare systems.  I mean, it is, Obama Healthcare system is nothing much to write home about, I mean it's much worse than other advanced countries have, but it's a slight improvement over our totally scandalous privatized system which really is an international scandal.  I mean it's more than twice the per capita cost of comparable societies and some of the worst outcomes.   Because it's privatized.  But even the mild attempt of the Obama system what the call Obamacare to try to modify some of this and deal with some of the problems that deprived, that has led to an extraordinary campaign of some of it just leading to almost comical lying.  What we saw recently is an interesting case.  I happened to  listen to the radio and I heard John Boehner giving a sober talk denouncing Obamacare because of these, the latest statistics that came out of the Congressional Research Bureau showing that maybe two and a half million people would stop working because of Obamacare.  

How did he present this?  Well the way the right wing is presenting it as showing that Obamacare is taking away jobs.  That's not what it said.  What it said is it's giving people freedom to free themselves from what amounts to slavery.  Keeping a job just because you -

R.K.: I wrote about that four years ago.  I wrote an article called Healthcare Slavery

N.C.: Yeah that's what it is. And this offers people the opportunity to free themselves.  You have to remember these people call themselves conservatives and what they're saying is people ought to be enslaved.  They ought to be trapped in work that they don't want because they can't survive otherwise.  They can't even get healthcare which in civilized countries is available to everyone.

That's an extreme case of psychopathic behavior and it's institutionalized....""

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

What Chomsky is saying is so true. Even in our little forum realm, the pathology is obvious.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum