Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

This may be a break through Z...

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1This may be a break through Z... Empty This may be a break through Z... 2/12/2014, 10:08 am

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

http://phys.org/news/2014-01-energy-dense-sugar-battery.html

A Virginia Tech research team has developed a battery that runs on sugar and has an unmatched energy density, a development that could replace conventional batteries with ones that are cheaper, refillable, and biodegradable.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2014-01-energy-dense-sugar-battery.html#jCp

Hmmm... that's interesting.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

If all that is what it promises, then all you can say is WOW!.

Sal

Sal

The problem with sugar batteries has been and remains the CO2 and water byproducts.

That will make for a kinda nasty cell phone.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

My first thought after reading that was "damn,  this will probably give us practical mass-produced electric cars".

But now I've found this which shoots that idea down...

Even though the sugar battery stores a high amount of energy for its mass, the maximum amount of power it can put out is still lower than that of lithium-ions, thus limiting its potential applications to portable devices.

Guess that kind of shuts down the idea these sugar batteries could someday power our cars

It apparently doesn't put out enough voltage to power an electric motor in a car.  

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/sugar-battery-can-store-more-energy-your-iphone/ndFRx/

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

This may be a step into a different source which will lead to refinements and further advances. I mean the first television wasn't much to look at.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Wait a minute, I think what was stated in that last link about this not being suitable for electric car propulsion has to be ignorant bullshit.

Why? Because whoever wrote that don't know shit from shinola about electric car batteries.

Yes, conventional electric cars have all used high voltage batteries.
But Tesla changed all that. The Tesla Model S battery pack makes use of seven thousand individual 18650 lithium-ion 3.7 volt rechargeable batteries. The same 18650 batteries which are used in portable devices. This is what one of them looks like...

This may be a break through Z... 2996406708_c2137d60eb_o

So I can see no reason why you couldn't substitute low-power sugar batteries in the same configuration. Especially since the claim is that the sugar batteries have a lot more energy density than li-on batteries.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

TEOTWAWKI wrote:This may be a step into a different source which will lead to refinements and further advances. I mean the first television wasn't much to look at.

This is what the first television picture looked like. It had 30 lines of resolution. And the scan rate was 12.5 images per second.

This may be a break through Z... John_Logie_Baird%2C_1st_Image

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Bob wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:This may be a step into a different source which will lead to refinements and further advances. I mean the first television wasn't much to look at.

This is what the first television picture looked like.  It had 30 lines of resolution.  And the scan rate was 12.5 images per second.

This may be a break through Z... John_Logie_Baird%2C_1st_Image

\

I didn't remember it being that bad...wow.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum