Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

8 Top medical tourist destinations.

+5
Joanimaroni
Jake92
Markle
ZVUGKTUBM
dumpcare
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

dumpcare

http://www.benefitspro.com/2013/11/01/8-most-popular-medical-tourism-destinations?eNL=52962491160ba04971000085&utm_source=BenefitsProDaily&utm_medium=eNL&utm_campaign=BenefitsPro_eNLs&_LID=80542670

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

If American medical care is the "best in the world," as poster Markle always touts, why are so many Americans going offshore for procedures? One would think the medical establishment in this country would be very concerned about trends here. What if medicine were to leave this country in much the same way manufacturing did?

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

Markle

Markle

ppaca wrote:http://www.benefitspro.com/2013/11/01/8-most-popular-medical-tourism-destinations?eNL=52962491160ba04971000085&utm_source=BenefitsProDaily&utm_medium=eNL&utm_campaign=BenefitsPro_eNLs&_LID=80542670

The numbers you posted are meager at best.

You neglected to list the number of people who come to the US for health care.

Jake92

The biggest reasons are medications NOT being available due to FDA testing rules and the enormous cost due to lawsuits by people trying to get rich quick at everybody elses expense..  Examples are people with allergic reactions to meds sueing for millions because they got a rash, and a jury giving it to them..  The DR gets sued, the drug manufacturer gets sued, and the hospital gets sued, which drives the costs including malpractice for the dr up for everybody..  The med directions will even say "May cause a rash" as one of the side effects..  That is one reason why there are 150 different pills for the common cold..
I'm going to go to Canada for dental work due to the cost here which is 5-10 times higher than it is in Canada.. Implants, including pulling the tooth are less than $500, where it costs 2,500-3,000 here.. A good friend in NY got upper and lower false teeth, including the extractions for under 1,000 and hasn't had any problems..

58 Top medical tourist destinations. Empty Thank you. 11/29/2013, 8:07 pm

Jake92 wrote:The biggest reasons are medications NOT being available due to FDA testing rules and the enormous cost due to lawsuits by people trying to get rich quick at everybody elses expense..  Examples are people with blah, blah, cold..
I'm going to go to Canada for dental work due to the cost here which is 5-10 times higher than it is in Canada..  Implants, including pulling the tooth are less than $500, where it costs 2,500-3,000 here..  A good friend in NY got upper and lower false teeth, including the extractions for under 1,000 and hasn't had any problems..
Z, take Jake here for an example.  Jake is a fine American. Money is all that matters to him, much like most conservatives.  Jake does not care if he hurts the local dentistry economy by fleeing the country for procedures. Jake is no better than U.S. corporations sending American jobs overseas so they can pay less in labor costs.
Thanks a bunch, Jake, you hypocritical bigot.
"You can tell a bigot; but not much." --Mark Twain

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Jake92 wrote:The biggest reasons are medications NOT being available due to FDA testing rules and the enormous cost due to lawsuits by people trying to get rich quick at everybody elses expense..  Examples are people with allergic reactions to meds sueing for millions because they got a rash, and a jury giving it to them..  The DR gets sued, the drug manufacturer gets sued, and the hospital gets sued, which drives the costs including malpractice for the dr up for everybody..  The med directions will even say "May cause a rash" as one of the side effects..  That is one reason why there are 150 different pills for the common cold..
I'm going to go to Canada for dental work due to the cost here which is 5-10 times higher than it is in Canada..  Implants, including pulling the tooth are less than $500, where it costs 2,500-3,000 here..  A good friend in NY got upper and lower false teeth, including the extractions for under 1,000 and hasn't had any problems..
We did it to ourselves.

dumpcare

http://money.msn.com/insurance/latest.aspx?post=5b9530d2-0599-47d1-b61c-0922fdc43587

dumpcare

Man, I'd have to go with Jake in his decision. He was quoted a cheap price for implants. I had a dentist about 5 year's quote me around $20,000 to $40,000 to do complete implants or lumineers.

An estimated 40% of all medical travelers are looking for the world’s most advanced technologies, worrying little about the proximity of the destination or cost, according to consulting firm McKinsey & Co. It narrowly defined medical travelers as only those whose primary and explicit purpose in traveling was to obtain in-patient medical treatment in a foreign country, putting the total number of travelers at 60,000 to 85,000 per year.

In Depth: U.S. Hospitals Worth The Trip

Most of those patients in search of the best care, including 38% from Latin America, 35% from the Middle East, 16% from Europe and 7% from Canada, are heading to the United States. Additionally, it’s estimated that 32% of all medical travelers simply want better care than is available in their home countries, mostly those in the developing world, and 15% want quicker access to medically necessary procedures. That’s compared to only 9% of medical travelers seeking medically necessary procedures at lower prices and 4% seeking low-cost discretionary procedures.

Of course, the flow of foreigners heading to America’s most prestigious academic medical centers, such as Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic or Johns Hopkins is nothing new, says Rick Wade, senior vice president for communication for the American Hospital Association.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/05/25/health-hospitals-care-forbeslife-cx_avd_outsourcing08_0529healthoutsourcing.html

The above does not include all the 15 million illegals who receive free care who are from another country coming here to have their babies. < medical tourism lol

Markle

Markle

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:If American medical care is the "best in the world," as poster Markle always touts, why are so many Americans going offshore for procedures? One would think the medical establishment in this country would be very concerned about trends here. What if medicine were to leave this country in much the same way manufacturing did?
ObamaCare will do for innovation, development and manufacturing in the medical field what Unions did to manufacturing in other fields.  It won't move overseas, it will simply stop because of no PROFIT incentive.

Jake92

Carl, I bet you drive a foreign made car you idiot... I have a Ford Van made in the states by workers that pay income taxes.. I would buy a car manufactured in the states by Hyundae (right off of I-65 in Montgomery) before buying a Chevy or Ford built in Mexico or Japan.. Following Ivan, there were quite a few Canada Power trucks and crews here helping people get their power back while Gulf Power had all of the crews on the beach.. I am just sick of the legal profession, starting with the Supreme Court and going down to the court appointed attorneys, causing the cost of everything to go higher.. I did my 20 years in the military.. I bet Carl never served 1 day....

Jake92

PPACA, Many medications from a civilian drug store have a co-pay that is more than the cost of some meds if you paid cash.. The cost of the implants I gave were for 1 or 2 teeth.. I've had crowns, but I'm tired of them falling off and being replaced at over $800 each..

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

I was a bit surprised at our low ranking, why, I don't know.

Anyway, just glad there are options.

stormwatch89 wrote:I was a bit surprised at our low ranking, why, I don't know.

Anyway, just glad there are options.
im not really sure I would put all your faith in that list.

looks more like a list which would be the perfect disguise for smuggling drugs under the name of getting a gall bladder taken out.Wink 

we need to put this to bed. this lie than so many Americans are going out of the country for treatment. really, not any vast majority are doing this.

http://www.medcarelink.com/destinations/united-states

More people are coming INTO this country for healthcare.I worked for Mayo clinic for many years and all the famous heads of states and their families came to us for treatment.

The WHO organizations data is skewed because each nation does not count mortality the same. Not only that the WHO is a organization whos goal is to so call spread the wealth of our nation into the other nations. Have you ever read WHO web site? you should.

we are a leader in technology and advancements. The ONLY thing you could say that we don't have is we don't really experiment on people with drugs as much as some countries because of FDA. good and a bad thing? depends I suppose.

cancer survival rate is the one and only true test of  if your technologies are best. http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba596

There was NOTHING wrong with our CARE, it was only access for a few %.

don't mix up CARE and access. and omg at having to go down the same freaking road to explain this year after year where people confuse CARE and access. Mad

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Yes, that's why the important work of stem cell research was put on the back burner for EIGHT YEARS in the US due to the supposed evangelical "christian" beliefs of the unelected POTUS...work that was being done in the early '70's on placentas in the hospital where I worked...where 10,000 babies were born in a single year. Stem cell research that can make the paralyzed walk again, can reverse COPD, can address early childhood illnesses through the use of saved cord blood.

It galls me to think of the lives that might have been saved or significantly improved...

Floridatexan wrote:
Yes, that's why the important work of stem cell research was put on the back burner for EIGHT YEARS in the US due to the supposed evangelical "christian" beliefs of the unelected POTUS...work that was being done in the early '70's on placentas in the hospital where I worked...where 10,000 babies were born in a single year.  Stem cell research that can make the paralyzed walk again, can reverse COPD, can address early childhood illnesses through the use of saved cord blood.  

It galls me to think of the lives that might have been saved or significantly improved...

youre an idiot. stem cell research and usage of stem cells has never been on the back burner. only stem cells from embryos.

and since you and the rest are so against how great our health system and our USA advancements in research then why don't you answer why there isn't a cure for paraplegics with stem cells already in countries that use embryonic stem cells? I cant wait to hear this one lol

2seaoat

I do not think people are against our health care system. Most are simply realistic of the need for massive improvements. Certainly if a man like Steve Jobs had to leave America to get medical treatment, you begin to understand the myth may not be able to hold water. Other countries are making great strides in research and development in medical care. Our lead in health care now finds many research centers in Europe and Asia which are leaders in particular fields. To get the best treatments often requires an international scope of options before treatment. We can do better, but the first step is to recognize our shortcomings and to work for improvements.

2seaoat wrote:I do not think people are against our health care system.  Most are simply realistic of the need for massive improvements.   Certainly if a man like Steve Jobs had to leave America to get medical treatment, you begin to understand the myth may not be able to hold water.  Other countries are making great strides in research and development in medical care.   Our lead in health care now finds many research centers in Europe and Asia which are leaders in particular fields.   To get the best treatments often requires an international scope of options before treatment.   We can do better, but the first step is to recognize our shortcomings and to work for improvements.
how many times do I have to tell you steve jobs got his transplant in America?

On July 31, 2004, at the Stanford University Medical Clinic in Palo Alto, California, Jobs underwent surgery to remove his tumor.

That same year, Jobs underwent a liver transplant in Tennessee. Dr. James D. Eason of Methodist University Hospital Transplant Institute announced in June 2009 that "Mr. Jobs is now recovering well and has an excellent prognosis."

he got diagnoses in 2003, died in 2011. not a bad life span for one of if not the most aggressive cancer there is.

your complete ignorance of this topic is annoying. but I know you will continue to run your mouth. Rolling Eyes 

2seaoat

your complete ignorance of this topic is annoying. but I know you will continue to run your mouth. Rolling Eyes

Your complete ignorance that he went to Switzerland for a series of shots which were not available in America, and had he chose not to get the liver transplant at the University of Missouri......had followed the European guidance......he would have still been alive today.

Please show me that I am wrong, and display your medical knowledge.

2seaoat wrote:your complete ignorance of this topic is annoying. but I know you will continue to run your mouth. Rolling Eyes

Your complete ignorance that he went to Switzerland for a series of shots which were not available in America, and had he chose not to get the liver transplant at the University of Missouri......had followed the European guidance......he would have still been alive today.

Please show me that I am wrong, and display your medical knowledge.
how did those shots work out for him?

2seaoat

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9508895/A-virus-that-kills-cancer-the-cure-thats-waiting-in-the-coldc.html

I live and Steve Jobs would be alive today if what is in that freezer could reach clinical trials in America. We are five years behind the rest of the world in endocrine cancer. Europe is kicking asz. If I can live 18 months I will go to Sweden and take the risk of the trial injections. However, you can continue to be an apologist for the greed and money grabbing which big pharm has become in America. All over the world other nations are making cures available without locking up the patents which allow obscene profit taking on life saving technology. Our system is simply a decadent evil system of profit over life saving. Yes, I am happy I was born into the riches country in the world. Yes, I am happy I have received the benefits of the same, but clearly our system needs drastic changes. In a freezer in Sweden my life is held at bay.......because two million British Pounds and a non patent virus can not bring millions to some for profit corporation......If Steve Jobs was alive today, he would have returned to Europe for treatment, and he would have funded the cure.....but instead he did not listen to doctors who tried to tell him a liver transplant was not the best course to take........The American big dollar solutions are not necessarily the best course.........so I go in Tuesday to measure my tumors and determine my timeline.....knowing full well that in a freezer in Sweden my life hangs in limbo........what a wonderful adventure.

2seaoat wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9508895/A-virus-that-kills-cancer-the-cure-thats-waiting-in-the-coldc.html

I live and Steve Jobs would be alive today if what is in that freezer could reach clinical trials in America.   We are five years behind the rest of the world in endocrine cancer.   Europe is kicking asz.  If I can live 18 months I will go to Sweden and take the risk of the trial injections.   However, you can continue to be an apologist for the greed and money grabbing which big pharm has become in America.  All over the world other nations are making cures available without locking up the patents which allow obscene profit taking on life saving technology.   Our system is simply a decadent evil system of profit over life saving.   Yes, I am happy I was born into the riches country in the world.  Yes, I am happy I have received the benefits of the same, but clearly our system needs drastic changes.   In a freezer in Sweden my life is held at bay.......because two million British Pounds and a non patent virus can not bring millions to some for profit corporation......If Steve Jobs was alive today, he would have returned to Europe for treatment, and he would have funded the cure.....but instead he did not listen to doctors who tried to tell him a liver transplant was not the best course to take........The American big dollar solutions are not necessarily the best course.........so I go in Tuesday to measure my tumors and determine my timeline.....knowing full well that in a freezer in Sweden my life hangs in limbo........what a wonderful adventure.
blah blah blah, I cant even read your rants anymore. you simply do not know what the hell you are talking about. those damn organ transplants prolonged his life. he got a few more years to grow more tumors in perfectly good organs.

I know a LOT about liver transplants. I worked on the liver transplant team for Mayo for several years with Dr Spivey.

and I don't care to hear about your disease either. jobs lived a long time with that disease. it was a good outcome and all of the valuable treatments he received HERE in the USA is what prolonged his life. organs, fresh new organs, yummy.

knothead

knothead

2seaoat wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9508895/A-virus-that-kills-cancer-the-cure-thats-waiting-in-the-coldc.html

I live and Steve Jobs would be alive today if what is in that freezer could reach clinical trials in America.   We are five years behind the rest of the world in endocrine cancer.   Europe is kicking asz.  If I can live 18 months I will go to Sweden and take the risk of the trial injections.   However, you can continue to be an apologist for the greed and money grabbing which big pharm has become in America.  All over the world other nations are making cures available without locking up the patents which allow obscene profit taking on life saving technology.   Our system is simply a decadent evil system of profit over life saving.   Yes, I am happy I was born into the riches country in the world.  Yes, I am happy I have received the benefits of the same, but clearly our system needs drastic changes.   In a freezer in Sweden my life is held at bay.......because two million British Pounds and a non patent virus can not bring millions to some for profit corporation......If Steve Jobs was alive today, he would have returned to Europe for treatment, and he would have funded the cure.....but instead he did not listen to doctors who tried to tell him a liver transplant was not the best course to take........The American big dollar solutions are not necessarily the best course.........so I go in Tuesday to measure my tumors and determine my timeline.....knowing full well that in a freezer in Sweden my life hangs in limbo........what a wonderful adventure.
WOW is all I can say Mr. Oats . . . good luck Tuesday!

2seaoat

how did those shots work out for him?

He would be alive today if he did not get caught up in the shortsighted American solution for everything......replace something with something new......the doctors in Europe clearly told him that there was no efficacy in a liver transplant, and even American doctors were beginning to tell patients that a liver transplant had no efficacy in endocrine cancer......yet in America we have invested trillions in very expensive procedures, while Europe is mastering biological treatments where the efficacy is statistically superior to American treatments. Fortunately for me the folks at Moffitt in Tampa and the folks at Northwestern are leaders in Endocrine Cancer and are constantly going to Europe to participate in meetings and exchanges of information. Europe leads the world in the treatment of endocrine cancer and the researchers are not part of some vertical integration of universities and big pharm. They are putting the solutions for the world to share.........and the paradox of this conduct is the profit driven big pharm wants nothing to do with these drugs if they cannot make 11k a shot........
No greed and avarice will bring my life to an end, and that is most appropriate. A cure sits in a freezer in Sweden, and a system of profit and greed which Markle calls the best in the world stands between life and death.......again what an adventure......how utterly ironic that somebody who was a greedy capitalist who believed with my whole heart in Reagan's trickle down economics that I am slowly fading away as a cure is readily available......but the very capitialistic system I worshiped will ultimately not allow the cure to be available before I fade away......it does not get much better......pay back is a bitch.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum