Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

medical pot

+8
Markle
QueenOfHearts
Sal
Joanimaroni
dumpcare
RottiesRule
Floridatexan
2seaoat
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1medical pot Empty medical pot 1/26/2014, 8:31 pm

2seaoat

I am now a resident of the State of Illinois and I will be going to Northwestern later this spring to seek a script on medical marijuana. Illinois passed it effective Jan 1st, but the dispensaries will not be set up until June. They are very strict but metastasis of the liver allows me to qualify, and the pain recently has become significant. My question is pretty straight forward. I have not smoked pot since the mid 1970s and really never did it beyond experimentation, but I am concerned with having thc laced brownies effect my driving. I think that the state of Illinois and any state should give some clear guidelines as to when you can drive a car after taking thc. I would not drive the same day, but I am concerned the THC would still be in my system and if I had an accident and they did a blood test, would I be driving under the influence.

Clearly, some of my pain pills tell me not to drive. However, I know the next day I am good as long as I have not taken the pill. I do not remember pot effecting my cognitive abilities the next day, and I certainly think I would be clear to drive, but I am concerned because all states can find you impaired with certain substances in your blood.

2medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/26/2014, 9:15 pm

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Although marijuana stays in the system longer than many other pain medications, the active phase is short in comparison to its pharmaceutical counterparts, although ingesting, rather than smoking, would increase the duration of the pain relieving effects and the "high". So...it might be in your system and detectable for up to a month, but the effects would never last from one day to the next.

3medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/26/2014, 9:28 pm

2seaoat

So I get pain relief for a day, but I will be driving my vehicle and putting my license at risk for a month. I still need to work, and drive to call on customers, but the problem I am having with my current pain pills are that the liver must break them down, and they put a load on my liver I would like to avoid. I guess I will simply take the risk, and hope they will have warning labels which give some guidance on driving. I do not want to put others at risk, or risk my driving privileges and I hope the state has proper warnings on time periods based on the potency of the pot.

4medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/26/2014, 9:30 pm

RottiesRule

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/criminal-defense/dui-and-dwi-charges/marijuana-dui-laws.htm

Driving as a Medical Marijuana Patient

Eighteen states have made it legal to use marijuana for medicinal purposes, as long as the patient follows the law with respect to amounts, registration, and so on. But no state has gone so far as to say it’s okay to drive after using medical marijuana, even when the patient has scrupulously followed the rules. This can be especially problematic for medical marijuana patients in states that employ per se laws, because as explained, metabolites may remain in the body for some time after use, arguably with no effect on the person's driving.

Medical marijuana patients should know how their state approaches the issue of being “under the influence,” as explained above. For more information on this topic, see Medical Marijuana and Driving.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/54125301/ns/local_news-tucson_az/t/medical-marijuana-patients-not-protected-dui-laws/#.UuW1Va_naM8

KVOA-TV  

TUCSON- Jon Gettel began using marijuana after a terrible car accident.

"The doctor said I wouldn't walk again and in order to even walk a little bit I had to endure physical therapy. Marijuana helped me embrace that physical therapy whole heartedly," said Gettel.

He has a medical marijuana card. But, traffic attorney James Nesci says the card is a doctor recommendation, not a prescription and does not protect patients like a prescription for pain pills might.

"It is just as illegal to drive with the metabolite of marijuana in your system as it is to drive with heroin in your system or PCP in your system. It doesn't matter what it is and the metabolite is inactive. It doesn't make you high. It doesn't impair you in any matter. You could have that metabolite for up to about 42 days," said Nesci.

While the officer has to have reasonable suspicion to pull you over Nesci says he's handled cases where police officers have found ways to get probable cause out of a driver to arrest and administer a blood test.

"If you get stopped by police officer, the officer is going to know you have a medical marijuana card. The officer may ask you, have you smoked, and you say, yes I did or I smoked two days ago or whatever it happens to be and then the officer arrests you for DUI."

Jon says he thinks these blood tests are an insult to officers who can easily use field tests determining impairment. He agrees marijuana does impair driving.

"I think it does. For me it does reduce some of my reaction times causing me to drive slower then maybe would be prudent and so I recognize that it's not good for me to drive on marijuana," says Gettel.

In Arizona an alcohol DUI results in jail time, fines, and a 90 day license suspension. A marijuana DUI will also get the driver time behind bars and fines, but the license suspension jumps to one year.

5medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/26/2014, 10:09 pm

2seaoat

I think I am screwed. I need something which can moderate the pain without further load on the liver, but I still need to drive. Thank you for the link, it was very informative, and confirmed my worse fears.

6medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/26/2014, 10:14 pm

dumpcare

Maybe Ill will treat it as any other prescription. Have your wife drive you when you have been smoking or ingesting it.

7medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/26/2014, 10:15 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:So I get pain relief for a day, but I will be driving my vehicle and putting my license at risk for a month.  I still need to work, and drive to call on customers, but the problem I am having with my current pain pills are that the liver must break them down, and they put a load on my liver I would like to avoid.  I guess I will simply take the risk, and hope they will have warning labels which give some guidance on driving.   I do not want to put others at risk, or risk my driving privileges and I hope the state has proper warnings on time periods based on the potency of the pot.

You are not suppose to drive while taking pain meds. Smoke a joint and drive away.

8medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/26/2014, 10:31 pm

2seaoat

You are not suppose to drive while taking pain meds. Smoke a joint and drive away.

I do not drive and take pain meds. I wait at least 6 hours after taking a pain med before I even consider driving. Today I took them at 11am and played in a poker tournament, and after 5pm I drove a short distance. I will not drive tonight and will probably take some this evening. I will drive in the morning.

I cannot smoke pot with one healthy lung, so I will have to take an edible. I need to be instructed on the number of hours after taking the edible I can drive, and as the link suggests, 10 days after taking the edible, I may potentially lose my license if stopped. I probably will have to give up driving as the inevitable takes its course, but I would like to try the pain relief without the digestive side effects and load on the liver, and I think the edible pot may be very effective from what I have read on blogs, but giving up driving or getting pain relief is a balancing act I will dread if I make it to this summer and I get the script.

9medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/26/2014, 11:01 pm

dumpcare

The high does not last in your system as long as the article suggests. THC can be detected in your urine for 30 days and in your hair your whole life, that does not mean you are high and cannot function. If you eat a brownie before bed you can drive in the morning and not be impaired.

Look up a medicinal marijuana shop on the internet in Michigan or Colorado and call them and ask. Tell them your concerns.

10medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/26/2014, 11:09 pm

2seaoat

Look up a medicinal marijuana shop on the internet in Michigan or Colorado and call them and ask. Tell them your concerns.

I will be doing my research, and I will spend the next week on the endocrine cancer blogs to see if anybody from Colorado got any relief. I may be under the false impression that the intensity of the pain can even be moderated with thc. I have a great deal to learn as my reality is quickly changing.

11medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/26/2014, 11:30 pm

2seaoat

http://carcinoid.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/a-possible-cure-for-neuroendocrine-cancer-exciting-update/

Looking at the blogs I found very good news. We hear how America is leading the world in new medical advances, but the truth is Europe has been kicking butt, and as I reported three months ago, the cure to my cancer is sitting in sweden and they needed 2 million British pounds to bring it to clinical studies. Well the internet is amazing. They are bypassing big pharm, and they have raised the funds for the clinical studies.......I need to live a year which is increasingly more difficult with the levels of pain, but I am entirely thrilled with the power of the internet and the way people help people. This is great and big pharm has not killed this cure, and early animal studies showed a 100% eradication of the NET tumors. If I can get the medical pot and make it to early 2015, I might get into a study at Northwestern, but level 2 studies mean that some people will get a placebo......I know my luck. Maybe I will become less nasty when I am pain free......nope.....not when dealing with foolery.

12medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/26/2014, 11:36 pm

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:You are not suppose to drive while taking pain meds. Smoke a joint and drive away.

I do not drive and take pain meds.   I wait at least 6 hours after taking a pain med before I even consider driving.   Today I took them at 11am and played in a poker tournament, and after 5pm I drove a short distance.  I will not drive tonight and will probably take some this evening.  I will drive in the morning.

I cannot smoke pot with one healthy lung, so I will have to take an edible.  I need to be instructed on the number of hours after taking the edible I can drive, and as the link suggests, 10 days after taking the edible, I may potentially lose my license if stopped.  I probably will have to give up driving as the inevitable takes its course, but I would like to try the pain relief without the digestive side effects and load on the liver, and I think the edible pot may be very effective from what I have read on blogs, but giving up driving or getting pain relief is a balancing act I will dread if I make it to this summer and I get the script.

I was thinking about your liver and completely forgot about your lung. So sorry.

13medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/26/2014, 11:45 pm

Sal

Sal

Eat the fucking brownie, let your wife drive, and enjoy the ride. 

It's not rocket science. 

14medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/26/2014, 11:50 pm

2seaoat

Eat the fucking brownie, let your wife drive, and enjoy the ride.

It's not rocket science.

I guess, but the loss of driving at age 62 is pretty depressing, and a caretaker has enough on her plate to suddenly deal with a cranky person who cannot drive. I have gotten a great deal of information tonight, and I appreciate the input, and really as simple as Sal's solution is......it probably is the right decision.

15medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/26/2014, 11:54 pm

2seaoat wrote:I think I am screwed.  I need something which can moderate the pain without further load on the liver, but I still need to drive.  Thank you for the link, it was very informative, and confirmed my worse fears.

What kind of pain is it? Like an aching or a stabbing? What causes the pain? Why aren't you in bed?

16medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/27/2014, 1:18 am

2seaoat

What kind of pain is it? Like an aching or a stabbing? What causes the pain? Why aren't you in bed?

I have three large two inch round tumors on my liver. Two in the back and one in the front with multiple smaller lesions. The sandostatin shots are causing a battle on the surface of the tumors causing necrosis(death of tumor cells) which causes an inflammation. I normally sleep in a lazy boy which relieves the pressure on both the back and front tumor, but I have been traveling the last 21 days and have been sleeping in beds propped up. The pain feels like an ice pick on the specific tumors with pain changing from front to back, and now I am giving an audible discomfort when I twist or turn a certain way which startles my grandchildren, and my entire pain mechanism is screwed up because I fell because of low potassium and cramping in my feet where I went down like a 235 lb tackling dummy and extending my hand snapped my right ring finger....well over the last three weeks it has gotten nasty and infected, and I did not bother going to the doctor because frankly the liver hurts so much I had so little pain with the bent finger, I simply went to walgreens and put a splint on it and got chewed out by my daughter who saw it yesterday. This is all in the context of carcinoid syndrome which with my latest blood test shows my hormone levels are off the chart and are attacking my large intestine with cramping and frequent and uncontrolled visits to the bathroom......as many now as four times a day. The hormone levels control my fate because they are what spreads the cancer, and although I have been given a great gift the last two years with the double shots, I am afraid my fate is going to be sealed in the near future unless the hormone levels drop, and I am hopeful that my shots on February 3, may slow or reverse this downward spin. I give this information openly and do not want pity or concern because I have been blessed with the last two years and should have been dead a year ago. I take my granddaughter to the Chicago Art Museum on the 3rd for her fifth birthday gift(she wants to be an artist) and I am blessed with each day I get and hope I will have the strength to enjoy the day and get a picture with her and the famous lions in front of the Museum on Michigan Ave......life is very good and short.

17medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/27/2014, 1:29 am

QueenOfHearts

QueenOfHearts

How often do you have to ingest pot in order for your pain to be controlled? Do you have to be high to control the pain?

18medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/27/2014, 1:42 am

2seaoat

How often do you have to ingest pot in order for your pain to be controlled? Do you have to be high to control the pain?

I do not have the answer for that on my endocrine cancer and I have been checking the blogs this evening. I do know the literature is full of examples with other cancers where it has helped with the pain and nausua.

19medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/27/2014, 1:44 am

Does it always hurt or just sporadically?

20medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/27/2014, 2:12 am

2seaoat

Does it always hurt or just sporadically?

The last 10 days have been constant and increasing pain levels which at times are unbearable, which must be bad because I have developed a very high pain threshold which I never had as a kid since the lung was removed, and is increasingly raising my concern that with the bad news on the blood tests and hormone levels the shots may have lost their efficacy.  This happened to my cousin's husband and what followed was not pretty.  I had held on to the double shots as a way to distinguish his decline and eventual death from endocrine cancer, but sadly my good times may be in the rear view mirror, and I am fine with that because I believe there is a viable cure 24 months out and I will gut it out as long as I can, and I am blessed with every single day I am gifted.

I visited in Birmingham my three cousins and aunt since losing my Uncle in October, and her recollection of the last three months of her husband's life were very similar to what I am now experiencing.   We have made arrangements with hospice, and I have checked out if the nurses know how to play poker.......I am going to have a full and happy life until the end, but I certainly realize that I am beginning to step all over my cape.

21medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/27/2014, 3:57 am

I don't know what to say,Seaoat. I don't know if anyone knows what to say in these situations that makes any sense. I've never met you or even know your real name but I have this feeling of impending loss. This forum will never be the same after you're gone. I think even some of the haters will agree.

22medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/27/2014, 5:31 am

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Does it always hurt or just sporadically?

The last 10 days have been constant and increasing pain levels which at times are unbearable, which must be bad because I have developed a very high pain threshold which I never had as a kid since the lung was removed, and is increasingly raising my concern that with the bad news on the blood tests and hormone levels the shots may have lost their efficacy.  This happened to my cousin's husband and what followed was not pretty.  I had held on to the double shots as a way to distinguish his decline and eventual death from endocrine cancer, but sadly my good times may be in the rear view mirror, and I am fine with that because I believe there is a viable cure 24 months out and I will gut it out as long as I can, and I am blessed with every single day I am gifted.
I visited in Birmingham my three cousins and aunt since losing my Uncle in October, and her recollection of the last three months of her husband's life were very similar to what I am now experiencing.   We have made arrangements with hospice, and I have checked out if the nurses know how to play poker.......I am going to have a full and happy life until the end, but I certainly realize that I am beginning to step all over my cape.

I'm sorry to hear about your going under the care of Hospice. They are magnificent though. I know they don't step in until the life expectancy is six months or less. My mother made it eight but she really wasn't aware the past few.

23medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/27/2014, 8:58 am

dumpcare

2seaoat wrote:Eat the fucking brownie, let your wife drive, and enjoy the ride.

It's not rocket science.

I guess, but the loss of driving at age 62 is pretty depressing, and a caretaker has enough on her plate to suddenly deal with a cranky person who cannot drive.  I have gotten a great deal of information tonight, and I appreciate the input, and really as simple as Sal's solution is......it probably is the right decision.

You won't be cranky after eating your brownie. In fact she may enjoy your company.

24medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/27/2014, 9:08 am

Sal

Sal

ppaca wrote:
You won't be cranky after eating your brownie. In fact she may enjoy your company.

Exactly.

Just don't eat too many ...

... or Teo's posts will start making sense.

25medical pot Empty Re: medical pot 1/27/2014, 10:05 am

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

2seaoat wrote: They are very strict but metastasis of the liver allows me to qualify

I was counting on anyone who is diagnosed with cancer being eligible to get a prescription for it. But are you saying it requires more than just that?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum