Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anyone ever had anything like this happen?

+3
2seaoat
Captn Kaoz
boards of FL
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

boards of FL

boards of FL

I come home from work yesterday and noticed two Gulf Power trucks parked in front of my house working on an electrical box (they actually ended up replacing it entirely).  When I pulled up, my garage door didn't work so I knew the power must be out.  About an hour later, everything comes back up, though my oven, U-verse, garage door opener, and AC all do not work.  I trouble shot the U-verse with AT&T and they said the box was fried and that they would send a new one out.  I have Boutwell Heating & Air coming out today to look at the AC.  The oven I can do without for the time being as I only use it about once a year, and the stove top - oddly enough - still works.  I'm not too worried about the garage door as I suspect that is a cheap replacement.

Anyone ever experience anything like that?

Captn Kaoz

Captn Kaoz

I had something like that happen except the Gulf Power trucks were not out in front of the house. A lightening bolt blew a hole through the roof and started my furnace on fire. Fried the furnace, ice maker, surround sound and a few other things.

2seaoat

We have had lightening strikes......good news and bad news......some things worked fine for awhile. Bad news is that we had electrical things fail for weeks after. Insurance did not pay on my well pump. They said there was inadequate proof the lightening caused the pump failure.

Ya... lightening is the only similar circumstance... some things fried others fine.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Not getting the whole picture here, Boards. Was your a/c working when you left for work? Did someone call Gulf Power? Is your oven separate from your stovetop?

boards of FL

boards of FL

Floridatexan wrote:Not getting the whole picture here, Boards.  Was your a/c working when you left for work?  Did someone call Gulf Power?  Is your oven separate from your stovetop?
Everything worked fine when I left for work. The oven/stove is all one combined unit. The actual stove top/burners work, but the oven and timer on the unit no longer work.

Just a guess, but the lighting might have blown out one leg of your 220. Damage would have depended on how it was grounded... Garage door stands a good chance of also not having a good ground. .

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Were any of your neighbors affected? Might have been the transformer that went out. You should contact Gulf Power...you may have recourse there.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Floridatexan wrote:Not getting the whole picture here, Boards.  Was your a/c working when you left for work?  Did someone call Gulf Power?  Is your oven separate from your stovetop?
The box in front of BOFs house feeds electricity to more houses than just his. I would venture to say that there are 5 to 10 houses being run from that one electrical box. So if it blew, someone other than BOF or his wife could have called Gulf Power or Gulf Power could have actually been monitoring for outages(which is doubtful).

It is not relevant whether his AC was working or not when he went to work. If there was a lightning strike or even a power surge it could have toasted the AC unit. I have underground utilities also and had a power surge a couple years ago. The only damage I received was my refrigerator and built in microwave oven. Since it was no fault of my own, Gulf Power paid for replacements for both.

Electrical surges can do weird things to items in the household. It makes one wonder, why one thing sustained damage while one sitting right beside it works like a charm.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Ghost Rider wrote:It is not relevant whether his AC was working or not when he went to work. If there was a lightning strike or even a power surge it could have toasted the AC unit. I have underground utilities also and had a power surge a couple years ago. The only damage I received was my refrigerator and built in microwave oven. Since it was no fault of my own, Gulf Power paid for replacements for both.

Really? Perhaps I should give them a call.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Ghost Rider wrote:
The box in front of BOFs house feeds electricity to more houses than just his. I would venture to say that there are 5 to 10 houses being run from that one electrical box. So if it blew, someone other than BOF or his wife could have called Gulf Power or Gulf Power could have actually been monitoring for outages(which is doubtful).

It is not relevant whether his AC was working or not when he went to work. If there was a lightning strike or even a power surge it could have toasted the AC unit. I have underground utilities also and had a power surge a couple years ago. The only damage I received was my refrigerator and built in microwave oven. Since it was no fault of my own, Gulf Power paid for replacements for both.

Electrical surges can do weird things to items in the household. It makes one wonder, why one thing sustained damage while one sitting right beside it works like a charm.
Really? Because I've had similar situations...once lost all 220 power, although the 110 was still working...probably overloaded the capacity. During Ivan, I lost my stove, refrigerator, washer and water heater. Later, when someone ran into a tree on Cervantes, I lost a TV and a computer. And when a transformer blew that fed into my house, I lost half my electricity...until my meter and a component on the transformer that feeds into my house were replaced.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everyday-tech/surge-protector3.htm

Anyone ever had anything like this happen? Th?id=H.4888356825530820&pid=1

It was the Viking hordes come to pillage the south in their own way prior to heading home for the harvest.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1lzfz_TjWI

pirat 

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

boards of FL wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:It is not relevant whether his AC was working or not when he went to work. If there was a lightning strike or even a power surge it could have toasted the AC unit. I have underground utilities also and had a power surge a couple years ago. The only damage I received was my refrigerator and built in microwave oven. Since it was no fault of my own, Gulf Power paid for replacements for both.
Really?  Perhaps I should give them a call.
Yep really, but you have to get them to admit fault. In my case, the underground line had been nicked and water finally soaked into it causing it to surge. If they will not admit fault then it will be up to your insurance company to settle it will have to come out of your own pocket.

In electrical circuits according to Ohm's Law current is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to the amount of resistance across the circuit.

Floridatexan wrote:
Were any of your neighbors affected?  Might have been the transformer that went out.  You should contact Gulf Power...you may have recourse there.
I'm not sure if Gulf Power would reimburse someone for damage to a blown out transformer unless they had the surge protection program that Gulf Power sells through an independent contractor.  We've had that for years and never had to use it, but what would the point in them selling it be if they reimbursed everyone for any damages from their lines even without it?

Damaged Eagle wrote:Anyone ever had anything like this happen? Th?id=H.4888356825530820&pid=1

It was the Viking hordes come to pillage the south in their own way prior to heading home for the harvest.

*****CHUCKLE*****

pirat 
I don't believe a damned word of that.  It was the whitewalkers. A cold, cold winter is coming on.

bluemoon wrote:
Damaged Eagle wrote:

*****CHUCKLE*****

pirat 
I don't believe a damned word of that.  It was the whitewalkers. A cold, cold winter is coming on.
Anyone ever had anything like this happen? Th?id=H.4730482421137723&pid=1

Anyone ever had anything like this happen? Th?id=H.4665306299564543&pid=1

Anyone ever had anything like this happen? Th?id=H.4731994216595830&pid=1

I've provided photographic proof of them and their fierce nature.

What do you have other than your word?

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3UhN6mTU4k

Very Happy

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

boards of FL wrote:I come home from work yesterday and noticed two Gulf Power trucks parked in front of my house working on an electrical box (they actually ended up replacing it entirely).  When I pulled up, my garage door didn't work so I knew the power must be out.  About an hour later, everything comes back up, though my oven, U-verse, garage door opener, and AC all do not work.  I trouble shot the U-verse with AT&T and they said the box was fried and that they would send a new one out. I have Boutwell Heating & Air coming out today to look at the AC.  The oven I can do without for the time being as I only use it about once a year, and the stove top - oddly enough - still works.  I'm not too worried about the garage door as I suspect that is a cheap replacement.

Anyone ever experience anything like that?
Boutwells..... I feel sorry for you.... They were good when the senior Mr. Boutwell was still alive. When the son took over, they went to shit.

In 2011, I paid them almost $1,400 to repair the ducting beneath a trailer we own where my step daughter lives. They did a sloppy-shitty job that did not solve the air flow problem in the trailer. I ended up having another contractor undo/redo what Boutwells did. You would do yourself a favor to cancel the appointment with Boutwells and find someone else to help you.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

boards of FL wrote:
Really?  Perhaps I should give them a call.

You should have your appliance people verify your stuff took a surge then call Gulf Power. They're not going to take your word for it.

boards of FL

boards of FL

I had Boutwell and Gulf Power out at my house at the same time yesterday. Boutwell replaced the transformer in my AC unit and everything is fine now. They said that I was lucky, as any time the transformer goes, the motor usually goes as well. That cost $278. Gulf Power merely checked that power was getting to my house. I asked them about the people working on the box out front and how coincidentally, appliances started failing when they left. They basically said that the box "blew up" (that was the guy's actual words) and that they were out there replacing it.

Not sure how to post an image,but your Viking horde is still alive.My whitewalkers (being already dead)could take them out in a New York minute.

Especially if they used their secret weapon, the Heisenburg white walker. Check him out:

http://tinyurl.com/kwsuw28

You can't tell me  anybody's going to whoop that guy's ass.

bluemoon wrote:Not sure how to post an image,but your Viking horde is still alive.My whitewalkers (being already dead)could take them out in a New York minute.

Especially if they used their secret weapon, the Heisenburg white walker. Check him out:

http://tinyurl.com/kwsuw28

You can't tell me  anybody's going to whoop that guy's ass.
Anyone ever had anything like this happen? Th?id=H.4893330401526143&pid=1

Anyone ever had anything like this happen? Th?id=H.4781218866858682&pid=1

Anyone ever had anything like this happen? Th?id=H.4537140193462555&pid=1

He is pretty gruesome but I still think my boys in the Viking horde can take him.

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFI5-QTcu_E

Very Happy 

boards of FL

boards of FL

Just received a call from my homeowners insurance company. They are mailing me a check to cover basically everything that broke, minus my deductible. I'm honestly surprised at how easy this as been.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

boards of FL wrote:Just received a call from my homeowners insurance company.  They are mailing me a check to cover basically everything that broke, minus my deductible.  I'm honestly surprised at how easy this as been.  
cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum