Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

These people get to go camping every day.

+4
ZVUGKTUBM
othershoe1030
TEOTWAWKI
gulfbeachbandit
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

http://tentcitynj.org/

I haven't been camping in years. Looks like fun.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Saw some folks camped on Coldwater more or less permanent on my last canoe trip . Looked they were doing okay considering.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

Well, okay...I was randomly reading articles, came across this one and then popped in here to see what you all were talking about today and the two seemed to fit together...The idea of the article is that stress is the cause of our national poor health ranking. Stress lowers the level of our immune system and is exacerbated by income inequality. Hmmm.

The stats first. They tell a shocking story: Americans now live shorter lives than men and women in most of the rest of the developed world. And that gap is growing.

Back in 1990, shouts  a new study just published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, the United States ranked a lowly 20th on life expectancy among 34 major industrial nations. The United States now ranks 27th — despite spending much more on health care than any other nation.

If Americans exercised more and ate and smoked less, this conventional wisdom holds, the United States would surely start moving up in the global health rankings.

But many epidemiologists — scientists who study health outcomes — have their doubts.  They point outthat the United States ranked as one of the world’s healthiest nations back in the 1950s, a time when Americans smoked heavily, ate a diet that would horrify any 21st-century nutritionist, and hardly ever exercised.

http://www.alternet.org/surprising-reason-americans-are-far-less-healthy-others-developed-nations?akid=10840.310455.pjy4lC&rd=1&src=newsletter886340&t=7

Shame on you othershoe for pointing out that these people probably weren't having a lot of fun.  What a downer.
No mention  of reality is ever allowed on this forum.

You broke the only rule.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Hey would I rather be camping under the stars collecting food stamps or working at a boring thankless deadend job which was cut to halftime by Obamacare......tough call....

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

bluemoon wrote:Shame on you othershoe for pointing out that these people probably weren't having a lot of fun.  What a downer.
No mention  of reality is ever allowed on this forum.

You broke the only rule.
Right. As my signature line points out reality leans toward the left view of things, or vice versa.

The point being that the wealth gap is growing and causing us as a nation to be under more stress than 1/2 a century ago. Tent cities are a symptom of the sorry condition of our economy. How many people live just one paycheck away from a spot at this camp?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Hey would I rather be camping under the stars collecting food stamps or working at a boring thankless deadend job which was cut to halftime by Obamacare......tough call....
Love your signature line quote! The country has been brainwashed.

Camping under the stars...and rain clouds, in the mud and mosquitoes. Buying ice for the cooler to keep milk from spoiling, trips to the Laundromat not to mention personal hygiene issues, cooking, just a wonderful life!

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

othershoe1030 wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:Hey would I rather be camping under the stars collecting food stamps or working at a boring thankless deadend job which was cut to halftime by Obamacare......tough call....

Camping under the stars...and rain clouds, in the mud and mosquitoes. Buying ice for the cooler to keep milk from spoiling, trips to the Laundromat not to mention personal hygiene issues, cooking, just a wonderful life!
No you are doing it wrong..you wash your clothes in the river and hang them out to dry and my tent is great . In the everglades I enjoyed watching hundreds of frustrated mosquitoes trying to get thru my netting...just be sure you wait till very late to go out to relieve yourself..they usually give up when it gets real dark. Milk ? who takes anything but powdered milk camping?  

and cold rain...I love it..wakes you up

Last edited by TEOTWAWKI on 8/23/2013, 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

People have been"Camping" in American for a long time......I guess we also  had a lot bums back in the 30s
These people get to go camping every day. Depression21

These people get to go camping every day. SSA_gov_Dorothea_Lange_1936_Depression_Mother_Child

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

The funny thing is that I don't have time for camping because I'm too busy at work. These people are camping because they are too lazy or stupid to work.

gulfbeachbandit wrote:The funny thing is that I don't have time for camping because I'm too busy at work.  These people are camping because they are too lazy or stupid to work.
Or they made enough money that they dont have to work...Just sayin

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Mr Ichi wrote:
gulfbeachbandit wrote:The funny thing is that I don't have time for camping because I'm too busy at work.  These people are camping because they are too lazy or stupid to work.
Or they made enough money that they dont have to work...Just sayin  
It's possible. Howard Hughes used to hitch hike for fun while dressed like a bum.

If Americans exercised more and ate and smoked less, this conventional wisdom holds, the United States would surely start moving up in the global health rankings.

But many epidemiologists — scientists who study health outcomes — have their doubts. They point outthat the United States ranked as one of the world’s healthiest nations back in the 1950s, a time when Americans smoked heavily, ate a diet that would horrify any 21st-century nutritionist, and hardly ever exercised.

True but chemical pollution has played a huge part in our demise. Not just our air but contaminated drinking water & bs stuff they add to our food etc.

Not sure I follow the leap from subsistence living to health... is it living under tough conditions or handicaps?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

The funny thing is that these people are not camping for the fun of it. The great myth of the "pull yourself up by your non-existant boot straps" crowd is that people who are down and out are in that situation because they are, as you claim, either lazy or stupid. In many cases we know people declare bankruptcy due to medical expenses. Many of these people even have medical insurance. To say that people are in tent cities due to laziness or stupidity I think is a way to avoid feeling the slightest bit of empathy for their situation. Taking such a stance removes the need to address the problem since it is all the fault of the down and outs, not the problem of society or the way our economy is  now structured. It just gets those with this attitude off the hook. This blame the victim attitude is part of the problem our society needs to face.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:

No you are doing it wrong..you wash your clothes in the river and hang them out to dry and my tent is great . In the everglades I enjoyed watching hundreds of frustrated mosquitoes trying to get thru my netting...just be sure you wait till very late to go out to relieve yourself..they usually give up when it gets real dark. Milk ? who takes anything but powdered milk camping?  

and cold rain...I love it..wakes you up
I like to camp too and having the right equipment is key. I'm glad you have a nice tent etc. It appears that these campers are not on vacation or are not earning their camping badge LOL.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I hate camping. I did a lot of camping as a child and teen/young adult, but my time in the military took any further desire to sleep on the ground or in a tent away. It is either hotels or I don't go. 

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

othershoe1030 wrote:
The funny thing is that these people are not camping for the fun of it. The great myth of the "pull yourself up by your non-existant boot straps" crowd is that people who are down and out are in that situation because they are, as you claim, either lazy or stupid. In many cases we know people declare bankruptcy due to medical expenses. Many of these people even have medical insurance. To say that people are in tent cities due to laziness or stupidity I think is a way to avoid feeling the slightest bit of empathy for their situation. Taking such a stance removes the need to address the problem since it is all the fault of the down and outs, not the problem of society or the way our economy is  now structured. It just gets those with this attitude off the hook. This blame the victim attitude is part of the problem our society needs to face.
Then give them all your money. Sell your car and donate the money to them. Feel better now? I'm sure they would do the same for you.

Markle

Markle

gulfbeachbandit wrote:http://tentcitynj.org/

I haven't been camping in years.  Looks like fun.
I haven't been camping in years either. It was a while in in the mid 60's. As far as I'm concerned, that's enough for me.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

gulfbeachbandit wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Then give them all your money.  Sell your car and donate the money to them.  Feel better now?  I'm sure they would do the same for you.
This snide statement is another good example of the type of knee-jerk non-thinking reaction to social problems so often offered up by right wingers.

The system is in serious need of renovation. It is not working for larger and larger groups of people not because they are stupid and/or lazy but because the way things are set up the middle class is being destroyed.

Buying power of the middle class is the greatest job creating mechanism in the country. Remember, 70% of the economy is based on consumer spending. When wages are too low people just scrape by and don't put much back into the economy because they don't make enough. What we need is better paying jobs. That would help the economy.

knothead

knothead

othershoe1030 wrote:
gulfbeachbandit wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:
Then give them all your money.  Sell your car and donate the money to them.  Feel better now?  I'm sure they would do the same for you.
This snide statement is another good example of the type of knee-jerk non-thinking reaction to social problems so often offered up by right wingers.

The system is in serious need of renovation. It is not working for larger and larger groups of people not because they are stupid and/or lazy but because the way things are set up the middle class is being destroyed.

Buying power of the middle class is the greatest job creating mechanism in the country. Remember, 70% of the economy is based on consumer spending. When wages are too low people just scrape by and don't put much back into the economy because they don't make enough. What we need is better paying jobs. That would help the economy.
A-FREAKIN-MEN

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Better paying jobs can only exist with better production and the money that brings back to the employer and your Obamatator sent all that production to China so there goes your better paying jobs..... and your middle class now speaks Chinese.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Better paying jobs can only exist with better production and the money that brings back to the employer and your Obamatator sent all that production to China so there goes your better paying jobs..... and your middle class now speaks Chinese.
You are either woefully misinformed or lying. The exodus of jobs from the US began decades ago.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Floridatexan wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:Better paying jobs can only exist with better production and the money that brings back to the employer and your Obamatator sent all that production to China so there goes your better paying jobs..... and your middle class now speaks Chinese.
You are either woefully misinformed or lying.  The exodus of jobs from the US began decades ago.  
Oh and GM and GE didn't get paid to leave recently...deluded you are..

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

If I recall it was Clinton, not Obama, who started shipping jobs overseas and passed NAFTA ignoring Perot's warning about the sound of jobs being sucked out of the economy. It is the global economy and the multi-national corporations, not exclusively the government, that push jobs overseas. Not everything is Obama's fault, really.

Wages are declining while productivity is up so even if people are working harder and better they are not seeing the benefits. That's not good for anyone.

Wages have fallen to a record low as a share of America’s gross domestic product. Until 1975, wages nearly always accounted for more than 50 percent of the nation’s G.D.P., but last year wages fell to a record low of 43.5 percent. Since 2001, when the wage share was 49 percent, there has been a steep slide.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/sunday-review/americas-productivity-climbs-but-wages-stagnate.html?_r=0

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum