Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Closing statements.....a big thumbs up to a strong woman who took control of this trial

+4
knothead
TEOTWAWKI
Nekochan
2seaoat
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

2seaoat

The six ladies who served on the jury, to all the lawyers who did an excellent job with the exception of one, and to a judge who I have grown to admire as to her intelligence and toughness.....a big thank you.....this was as good as it gets.....the American justice system actually working......not a half a year to try a murder case where dilatory tactics were rewarded.....no a tough woman always gets slandered as a bitch.....but this judge is the type of judge who puts her priorities in the right place....justice delayed is justice denied, and a jury who is taken advantage of and abused will respond in a very negative manner and perhaps not do their duty.

The lesser included offenses are going to be critical, and I hope everybody can hear the court instructing the jury...........those jury instructions and the lesser included offenses have always been the goal line for the state.

Nekochan

Nekochan

She seems to be fair minded, she keeps things rolling along, and she sticks to the rules.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Yeah she does okay for a frickin dingbat. Her blubbering about how anyone could have sent messages on Trayvon's phone was laughable.

Nekochan

Nekochan

TEOTWAWKI wrote:Yeah she does okay for a frickin dingbat. Her bubbering about how anyone could have sent messages on Trayvon's phone was laughable.

But she was right on that. As much as it makes little sense that anyone else sent them (and I sure think he sent them), you cannot say with 100% certainty that those messages were sent by Trayvon. So I see why she ruled the way she did. Unfortunate and probably unfair for Zimmerman as it may be.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

There's really no logic in saying that. I could say that about a lot of evidence. Like OJ walked because Mark Furman was a racist and "could" have planted evidence...bull-hockey.

Nekochan

Nekochan

TEOTWAWKI wrote:There's really no logic in saying that I could say that about a lot of evidence. Like OJ walked because Mark Furman was a racist and "could" have planted evidence...bull-hockey.

I know, Teo. Part of me agrees with you, but I understand her ruling.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I understand she's biased as hell because she doesn't want to get shot by a racist black.

Nekochan

Nekochan

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I understand she's biased as hell because she doesn't want to get shot by a racist black.

Shocked 

I admit that I would not want to be in her shoes right now. But I don't think the text ruling was about her being afraid.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

I didn't care much for her badgering Zimmerman also on whether he had made up his mind to testify in his own behalf. Overruling his lawyers trying to stop Zimmerman from putting his foot in his mouth. The lawyer is there to protect his client not to submit to some dingbat judges ranting.

Nekochan

Nekochan

She is supposedly known for being "pro-prosecution" so I don't know that she is showing any bias in this case that she usually doesn't show.

That one defense lawyer, West, is a jerk. I can understand why she doesn't like him. I think the prosecution attorneys are jerks too..but they don't try to argue with the judge.

I like Omara.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Nekochan wrote:She is supposedly known for being "pro-prosecution" so I don't know that she is showing any bias in this case that she usually doesn't show.  

Great Zimmerman got a hangin judge in a trial that should never have been held in the first place. Now that's justice.

Nekochan

Nekochan

I really think he'll be acquitted. And if he is, no one can rationally say that the judge was biased in favor of him or his attorneys or that the state's hands were tied when trying to make their case. I would rather he be acquitted with a tough judge than with a wimpy defendant-loving judge.

TEOTWAWKI wrote:I didn't care much for her badgering Zimmerman also on whether he had made up his mind to testify in his own behalf. Overruling his lawyers trying to stop Zimmerman from putting his foot in his mouth. The lawyer is there to protect his client not to submit to some dingbat judges ranting.

That irked me as well. The lawyer is your mouthpiece. Judge hasn't been a lawyer for awhile, maybe she forgot?

Nekochan

Nekochan

She was tough on West. Probably a little too tough but West is a jerk and she's probably losing patience with him.

knothead

knothead

PACEDOG#1 wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:I didn't care much for her badgering Zimmerman also on whether he had made up his mind to testify in his own behalf. Overruling his lawyers trying to stop Zimmerman from putting his foot in his mouth. The lawyer is there to protect his client not to submit to some dingbat judges ranting.

That irked me as well. The lawyer is your mouthpiece. Judge hasn't been a lawyer for awhile, maybe she forgot?

I believe she was covering her bases (CYA) regarding future appeals by addressing the defendant directly and getting his response on the record. The defendant was given as much time as he needed to consult his attorneys prior to making this decision and by doing so removes ambiguity regarding appeal(s) should he be convicted.

Nekochan

Nekochan

The prosecution attorney seems exasperated this morning. Even though the judge granted their wishes for a manslaughter conviction being included in the jury instruction.
West is being very measured and careful (so far) this morning. This is good.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Knot, it's the manner in which she spoke to West.  I think she was unnecessarily rude.  But then, West is an ass....so I get that she doesn't like him.  But hell, she deals with asses all the time. Twisted Evil 

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Zimmerman has a lawyer because he is not a lawyer. Why have a lawyer if the judge can tell him to shutup and sitdown and make you say something which might get you jammed up ?

Nekochan

Nekochan

Child abuse?  Geez.  Now this is going too damn far.  I hope the judge denies this one.  I guess Zimmerman was supposed to ask Trayvon how old he was when he broke his nose and was banging his head on the concrete.

I think it shows how desperate the prosecution is to convict on ANY thing.

Nekochan

Nekochan

They are backing up their child abuse instruction request by citing cases where 6 year olds were murdered. Rolling Eyes 

knothead

knothead

I really just do not understand all the hyperbole around the judge's method of keeping control of the process. Teo calls her a 'hangin' judge' and others simply say she is biased but I say that is nonsense. Frankly, I'm impressed with her no nonsense approach and her grasp of the facts . . . . she knows the law and she will apply it without regard to extraneous issues, isn't that what the system is supposed to do? She has no obligation to 'play nice' with either the prosecution of defense but when Mr. West pushes too hard and becomes irascible when he senses his arguments are going nowhere SHE gives unmistakable signals that SHE is the judge . . . . I don't have a problem with that whatsoever, I just don't . . . . frankly admire it.

As to the judge allowing lesser charges, this is typically done across the state each and every day . . . . the jury will have options not because of exterior forces but because that is typically the approach commonly used by prosecutors.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Yes, lesser charges are typical.  But child abuse?  C'mon now!

Oh God, West is talking now. I hope he keeps his composure.

boards of FL

boards of FL

Nekochan wrote:Child abuse?  Geez.  Now this is going too damn far.

West is no longer measured and careful, is he?

Nekochan

Nekochan

boards of FL wrote:

LOL. I cannot blame him.
I mean really, Boards...child abuse? Do you think this was child abuse?

knothead

knothead

Nekochan wrote:
boards of FL wrote:

LOL.  I cannot blame him.  
I mean really, Boards...child abuse?  Do you think this was child abuse?

It is allowable under the statue . . . . the State cited the circumstance and applicability . . . . a stretch? maybe . . .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum