Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Food Network Cans Paula Deen for Being Awful Person

+8
Markle
Hospital Bob
knothead
Floridatexan
Joanimaroni
Nekochan
2seaoat
Sal
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

2seaoat

Paula Deen was brought up in that culture but it doesn't mean she is the same person she was back then.

Could be true.......but the Food channel decided not to renew her contract, and maybe she is more of the same person than any of us know......I watched my cousins climb out of a North Birmingham pool because two black kids began swimming....my brother and I kept swimming and if stares could kill........that hate just does not disappear.....it is ingrained where even if one can rationalize that people are equal.....deep in the crevices of their indoctrination........they have been imprinted....like Lorenz's ducklings.......I make a conscious effort every day to question some of the things I learned as a child.....most people think I am a fair person........but I am not always......and maybe to much of the past just bubbled up in this lawsuit.....if she is sincere....she will be fine.....if she is not.....it could be a tough road.

2seaoat wrote:Paula Deen was brought up in that culture but it doesn't mean she is the same person she was back then.

Could be true.......but the Food channel decided not to renew her contract, and maybe she is more of the same person than any of us know......I watched my cousins climb out of a North Birmingham pool because two black kids began swimming....my brother and I kept swimming and if stares could kill........that hate just does not disappear.....it is ingrained where even if one can rationalize that people are equal.....deep in the crevices of their indoctrination........they have been imprinted....like Lorenz's ducklings.......I make a conscious effort every day to question some of the things I learned as a child.....most people think I am a fair person........but I am not always......and maybe to much of the past just bubbled up in this lawsuit.....if she is sincere....she will be fine.....if she is not.....it could be a tough road.

Have you ever used the "N"word?

knothead

knothead

I am trying desperately to think of one freaking word that other races are not permitted to utter . . . . . . blacks can say virtually anything about whites and not feel the wrath of a politically correct society. Amarite???

2seaoat

that while Deen was planning her brother’s 2007 wedding, she said of the waitstaff, “Well what I would really like is a bunch of little [N-words] to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties...now that would be a true Southern wedding, wouldn't it?"

Have I said the N word.......well sadly I have to say it a great deal to describe a geographic area which uses the N word to describe it.  Today in 2013 people still use the N word to describe this place and it has been called this for over a 100 years, and sadly nobody has renamed it.  Other than that.....I honestly have no recollection of using the word other than to repeat what somebody else had said......I saw some horrible stuff as a young child and it made a very big impression on me......plus I can usually say something unkind to someone without racial reference.   I certainly would not have my contract renewed on the Food channel......I like the fish filet at Macs......and once hosted a dinner party of tv dinners.......bottom line is the food channel has a viewership and it is important to them to keep those viewers......people simply are uncomfortable with hateful people, and if the incident alleged in the bold was said by her......sorry.....I would not want this lady  on my network either.......but she denies she said this....others claim they heard her say this......

2seaoat

She reminds me of a childhood friend who lived in Gulf Breeze.  As kids we would vacation with our mothers who were friends at Panama City.  She had been double promoted and was a spoiled only child.  Her mother was an alcoholic.  I remember when they lived in Birmingham when she was 18 and I was 16 when I heard this screaming using the N word.  They had a black maid which in 1967 the world was changing but many middle class families had black maids, and their maid had misplaced a damn wig.  She went ballistic.....and her mother asked my mom if I would go with her to the maids house......she had this cute 65 red mustang.....she was a pretty girl, but she was so hateful as she sped down the mountain into this poor black area that sunday morning where the homes were elevated on brick columns and the exterior boards of the homes were this weathered gray.  Children were all over the road adjacent to a railroad track and this crazy person was speeding almost hitting these kids telling the N's to get out of the way.....she screeches into the yard of her maid......gets out of the car and without knocking busts into her home and I hear her yells of N this and N that....I was simply appalled.

Well she settled into Gulf Breeze and worked for Delta as a flight attendant....multiple failed marriages and full blown alcoholism had not been kind and she would visit me over in Navarre......she almost looked like this lady the last time I saw her 8 years ago, and she would tell me about uppity N and pushy NY Jews who made her job miserable........but later in the conversation she would talk about how she loved one of her coworkers who was black......she died two years ago from her alcoholism alone and bitter......to this day I believe the hate she was taught consumed her.....I never understood treating people who are different than me as inferior.....I thank my mother for making a conscious effort not to let the hate she was taught to jump to her children.....my brother is a flaming racist.....I try to be fair.....but when you are surrounded by hate as a child.....well at times it is hard......people who so quickly dismiss this incident probably have also tried.....but sometimes the truth is it will take generations to remove this hate......and sadly this lady reminds me of somebody in my past.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

I was visiting my sister outside Houston in 2007.  We were watching a movie and having drinks...and maybe he was drunk, but he kept shouting the N word at the TV.  I know he was aware that I had a mixed race granddaughter who was just a few months old at the time.  I asked him to stop using the word, which only added fuel to the fire, so I blew up.  I don't think I can ever forgive him.  I feel sorry for my sister...and sorry for him, too, because for all his business acumen, he's truly a stupid person.

knothead wrote:I am trying desperately to think of one freaking word that other races are not permitted to utter . . . . . . blacks can say virtually anything about whites and not feel the wrath of a politically correct society.  Amarite???

You are correct. I know of other words that are as hateful as the "n" word my father used to use like "spic" and "Kike" and "chink". "Spic" sounds so horribly offensive to me. I hear the "N" word commonly used by black people to each other yet their not offended when they say it to each other.

2seaoat wrote:that while Deen was planning her brother’s 2007 wedding, she said of the waitstaff, “Well what I would really like is a bunch of little [N-words] to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties...now that would be a true Southern wedding, wouldn't it?"

Have I said the N word.......well sadly I have to say it a great deal to describe a geographic area which uses the N word to describe it.  Today in 2013 people still use the N word to describe this place and it has been called this for over a 100 years, and sadly nobody has renamed it.  Other than that.....I honestly have no recollection of using the word other than to repeat what somebody else had said......I saw some horrible stuff as a young child and it made a very big impression on me......plus I can usually say something unkind to someone without racial reference.   I certainly would not have my contract renewed on the Food channel......I like the fish filet at Macs......and once hosted a dinner party of tv dinners.......bottom line is the food channel has a viewership and it is important to them to keep those viewers......people simply are uncomfortable with hateful people, and if the incident alleged in the bold was said by her......sorry.....I would not want this lady  on my network either.......but she denies she said this....others claim they heard her say this......

I hope she didn't say that recently. Judging by her apology it may be so.

Whats the big deal here? I said the "N" word many times last week, "where are my nails at...

Sal

Sal

Who coulda predicted a good ol' boy named Bubba would be a hardcore racist and misogynist?

In the South, it's not called "hate", it's called "heritage". 

Nekochan

Nekochan

Lots of "ifs" here.  I have no idea if she said the statement in bold print.  It sounds over the top to me but people say stupid things.  

Let's not forget though...someone is after her money.  I think that would be one of the most difficult things about being a rich celebrity...people suing you and making all kinds of claims about what you did or said to them.

2seaoat

I have no idea if she said the statement in bold print

I was pretty much uncertain on this issue until I was in the car Saturday morning and they had some tape recordings of what she actually has said......one clip she was talking to this black person and said something to the effect of do not stand up next to the blackboard......I will not be able to see you.......

They played a couple more clips...........nope......no doubt in my mind why the food channel dropped her.   They also said that they were planning to drop her  before these disclosures.......but the one quote was from as recently as 2007.......sorry hate is deep seated and hard to expunge.

2seaoat wrote:I have no idea if she said the statement in bold print

I was pretty much uncertain on this issue until I was in the car Saturday morning and they had some tape recordings of what she actually has said......one clip she was talking to this black person and said something to the effect of do not stand up next to the blackboard......I will not be able to see you.......

They played a couple more clips...........nope......no doubt in my mind why the food channel dropped her.   They also said that they were planning to drop her  before these disclosures.......but the one quote was from as recently as 2007.......sorry hate is deep seated and hard to expunge.

Political Correctness run amuck.....nice though to see that in our society that there are some that are perfect and our quick to judge others for the mistakes/comments that they made in the past...No question about the stupidity level involved...To read some of the remarks here you'd think that the South has a monopoly on racism...

Nekochan

Nekochan

What if she said "Black is beautiful"?  Would that be racist?

It's Food Network's decision to make but there are apparently a lot of angry viewers.

2seaoat

It's Food Network's decision to make but there are apparently a lot of angry viewers.

Then like me they had not heard the audio clips.......I also thought perhaps a little bit of political correctness......but 2007 is not 1960, and the idea that fellow racist want to poo poo this woman's public comments only tells you how  deep racism remains in this country......telling a black person that they should not stand up against the blackboard, and the other audio I heard was her talking about a relative after the civil war who committed suicide because he lost his WORKERS.......no maam........they were not workers.....they were F'ing slaves.....my question is how did she ever appear on the food network with these audio tapes of her comments......she is a flaming racist.....period......in this day and age the words you say in public will come back and bite you in the butt....this is not political correctness....Also......almost all folks I have listened to said she had not made a new show in two years and that they were not renewing her contract.....sorry....I completely agree with Sal....a rarity.....but he nailed this before the audio tapes were coming out to confirm.

2seaoat

What if she said "Black is beautiful"?  Would that be racist?

After hearing her other comments.......yep.....the woman clearly thinks blacks are a lesser human being.......as do many of my racist friends.   I also look at their good attributes and try to ignore the racism......but if they are talking stupid.....I will tell them the same......not make excuses for their behavior......not a distinction without a difference.

2seaoat wrote:that while Deen was planning her brother’s 2007 wedding, she said of the waitstaff, “Well what I would really like is a bunch of little [N-words] to wear long-sleeve white shirts, black shorts and black bow ties...now that would be a true Southern wedding, wouldn't it?"

"Other than that.....I honestly have no recollection of using the word other than to repeat what somebody else had said......I saw some horrible stuff as a young child and it made a very big impression on me......plus I can usually say something unkind to someone without racial reference. "

I find you completely disingenuous especially considering where you were raised.

2seaoat

I find you completely disingenuous especially considering where you were raised.

You continue to make me smile.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Perhaps the "angry viewers" are racist, too.

2seaoat wrote:I find you completely disingenuous especially considering where you were raised.

You continue to make me smile.

Yeah, I bet I do. Other people may fall for that crap but I know better. You really put yourself on a pedestal as the icon of virtue but it's only in your mind.

2seaoat

Perhaps the "angry viewers" are racist, too.

Bingo!

Nekochan

Nekochan

Maybe the angry viewers are tired of the racist claim being thrown every which way.   And here, it is thrown around again, accusing her fans of being racist. 

But it's ok to call a white person a cracker. Suspect

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Nekochan wrote:Maybe the angry viewers are tired of the racist claim being thrown every which way.   And here, it is thrown around again, accusing her fans of being racist. 

I find it hilarious that both you and Joani took offense at a statement that I can't remember ever seeing on either this forum or the PNJ and wasn't directed at you.  I believe the term actually refers to those who drove wagons loaded with the lumber that once constituted a major part of the local economy...as in "cracking the whip".  And you wonder why anyone would be sensitive to the N word...ridiculous.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Floridatexan wrote:
Nekochan wrote:Maybe the angry viewers are tired of the racist claim being thrown every which way.   And here, it is thrown around again, accusing her fans of being racist. 

I find it hilarious that both you and Joani took offense at a statement that I can't remember ever seeing on either this forum or the PNJ and wasn't directed at you.  I believe the term actually refers to those who drove wagons loaded with the lumber that once constituted a major part of the local economy...as in "cracking the whip".  And you wonder why anyone would be sensitive to the N word...ridiculous.
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize that BP is a lumber wagon driver. 

I never said that I wonder why anyone would be sensitive to the N word.   I believe that it's a word that should be used by no one.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I bet the percentage of white southerners who have never in their lives used the "n" word is probably smaller than the percentage of southerners who've never ate grits.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum