Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Food Network Cans Paula Deen for Being Awful Person

+8
Markle
Hospital Bob
knothead
Floridatexan
Joanimaroni
Nekochan
2seaoat
Sal
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Sal

Sal

I'm sure she can get a gig on FAUX News as an expert on race relations or something.

http://www.salon.com/2013/06/21/paula_deen_releases_video_responding_to_allegations_of_racism/

2seaoat

People have a hard time discarding the baggage of hate and prejudice taught to children.....it simply takes good people saying enough......I am sure she probably is not a terrible person, but these putrid ideas of hate and prejudice simply need the light of the day.......I hope she finds happiness, but she grew up in a time when hate was de juris......and to think it will be eliminated in a generation.....well it will not, but the food channel let it be known that her choice of words were wrong.......it has always been a problem on the PNJ and here......but lately the hateful stuff is simply not popping up in threads....partially because folks just do not respond to the fear it represents.

Sal wrote:I'm sure she can get a gig on FAUX News as an expert on race relations or something.

http://www.salon.com/2013/06/21/paula_deen_releases_video_responding_to_allegations_of_racism/

Oh for sure, the Republicans are always the racists. Guess you forgot about KKK member Strom Thurmond of the US Senate. There was a post by someone else who showed that LBJ was a liberal user of the "N" word as well...it was PKR Bum

It happened 20 yrs.ago. It was absurd for them to fire her for that.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Dreams, I was just about to post that I didn't watch her video and I don't know when it happened....but that if you are going to fire people for what they said or did years ago, there is a lot of firing that should be going on.   

Let's start with people in public office who had admitted to using illegal drugs or have admitted to having affairs.

2seaoat

help me........I do not know all the facts......did she not just suggest a plantation wedding with black servers in white period costume......that in of itself is not a big deal in my mind.......but if it happened recently, and her frequent use of the N word......is it political correctness gone crazy....or is there smoke where there is fire......I do not know or care.......but racism is alive and well in America.....and folks who think we got over it twenty years ago.....I would simply disagree......it rears its ugly head daily........Also her contract is up, and the food channel is choosing not to renew.   If she truely is a changed person......she should work to show that she is fair minded and that the period we grew up in was wrong.....she will be fine, because if she is sincere.....people will see it and she will continue to be successful, and maybe more so......

Nekochan

Nekochan

Racism will always be alive in some form.  That is my belief.  I think a lot of things are better than they were years ago, but racism isn't dead.
But it's not just white people who can be racist.  There is racism in Japan and other countries too.

2seaoat wrote:help me........I do not know all the facts......did she not just suggest a plantation wedding with black servers in white period costume......that in of itself is not a big deal in my mind.......but if it happened recently, and her frequent use of the N word......is it political correctness gone crazy....or is there smoke where there is fire......I do not know or care.......but racism is alive and well in America.....and folks who think we got over it twenty years ago.....I would simply disagree......it rears its ugly head daily........Also her contract is up, and the food channel is choosing not to renew.   If she truely is a changed person......she should work to show that she is fair minded and that the period we grew up in was wrong.....she will be fine, because if she is sincere.....people will see it and she will continue to be successful, and maybe more so......

I don't think there are many people in this country who haven't used the "N" word at some time in their life. There is nothing wrong w/ a wedding that is about an era anymore than a movie that is about an era.People have gone too far w/ claiming racism in every damn thing they can imagine.

2seaoat

People have gone too far w/ claiming racism in every damn thing they can imagine.

I just feel that the politics of this president have reignited racism in the last five years that I do not remember from ten years ago.....it seems to be open and posted as if it does not matter.  My wife had a former student who teaches in a Junior high and calls himself a christian saying that Mrs. Obama looks like a monkey......he has hate filled posts and these exchanges are getting more vehement.....so I personally think it is worse today, than it was just 10 years ago.  We have seen examples on the PNJ and this forum.....no I really do not think it is overstated....if anything it is understated.

2seaoat wrote:People have gone too far w/ claiming racism in every damn thing they can imagine.

I just feel that the politics of this president have reignited racism in the last five years that I do not remember from ten years ago.....it seems to be open and posted as if it does not matter.  My wife had a former student who teaches in a Junior high and calls himself a christian saying that Mrs. Obama looks like a monkey......he has hate filled posts and these exchanges are getting more vehement.....so I personally think it is worse today, than it was just 10 years ago.  We have seen examples on the PNJ and this forum.....no I really do not think it is overstated....if anything it is understated.
I disagree w/ that. People used to openly say the "N" word w/o batting an eye. Now is so politically incorrect you can get disciplined and/or fired by making any veiled references. Racism has changed to the point it is less tolerated than years ago. I think the Obama administration has improved the intolerance... not ignited it. You'll notice people of color are now more on commercials and TV shows and ads than ever before.

2seaoat

people of color are now more on commercials and TV shows and ads than ever before.

Hmmm.......maybe Madison Avenue has looked at the demographics.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

I think it is absolutely ridiculous what the Food Network channel is doing and the lawsuit against the Deen family is absurd....

Joanimaroni wrote:I think it is absolutely ridiculous what the Food Network channel is doing and the lawsuit against the Deen family is absurd....
 What lawsuit?

2seaoat

What lawsuit?

Her family runs a restaurant, and apparently there is a claim of sexual harassment of a former employee, and it appears that to leverage the claim they took the gloves off and took her deposition which resulted in her admitting some racist things.........People settle lawsuits to avoid the ramifications of all out war......I do not know that the food channel in not renewing her contract has done anything wrong.   I do not know the facts, but I would suggest that there were some other issues I thought I heard about concerning her hiding her illness and the food channel questioned her lack of disclosure....there is more to this story......I do not know the woman....I do not know all the facts......I have read or heard things only in the distance.....but if she can cook the food I grew up with.....then I hope she gets a second chance.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

A discrimination lawsuit from a former employee at Uncle Bubba's Oyster House.

She gave a deposition and was asked if she had ever in her life used the N word....she said she was sure at some point in her life she had said the word....

For God sake the N word was very common in the 50's especially growing up in the south. Hell our black housekeeper used it all the time.

All of this crap is being blown out of proportion due to her celebrity status and deep pockets....It's called getting a piece of her pie.

Shoulda fired her for this instead:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/01/19/diabetics-call-paula-deen-hypocrite-for-hiding-disease-while-promoting-sugar/

Diabetics call Paula Deen a hypocrite for hiding disease while promoting sugar-heavy foods

Angry diabetics are calling celebrity chef Paula Deen a hypocrite, both for hiding her disease while promoting fatty, sugar-heavy foods and for partnering with a drug company that provides relief for diabetics.
Deen, host of the Food Network’s “Paula’s Best Dishes,” confirmed on Tuesday’s “Today Show” that she was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, the most common form of the disease, three years ago, even as she continued to promote such dishes as “Chocolate Cheese Fudge” and “Sausage Pancake Egg Sandwiches” on her program. She also announced her latest venture—a partnership with diabetes drug maker Novo Nordisk.
“It is hypocritical [for Paula] to have continued to very publicly promote entirely unhealthy food choices so vital to the management of diabetes,” Donna Shaft, a marketing consultant who has been battling type 2 diabetes for 20 years, told Fox411.
“We of course don't know the terms of her contract with the drug company, but it seems either stupid or hypocritical of them to be endorsing the eating lifestyle she advocates. For her to publicly facilitate the illusion that a T2 can consume the quantities of fats and carbs and sugars she showcases, even occasionally, is nothing short of a dangerous abuse of the trust many in her audience place in her as an influential public figure.”

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Why? Her medical condition is private and she never made anyone eat the food she made on her TV show.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Dreamsglore wrote:
2seaoat wrote:help me........I do not know all the facts......did she not just suggest a plantation wedding with black servers in white period costume......that in of itself is not a big deal in my mind.......but if it happened recently, and her frequent use of the N word......is it political correctness gone crazy....or is there smoke where there is fire......I do not know or care.......but racism is alive and well in America.....and folks who think we got over it twenty years ago.....I would simply disagree......it rears its ugly head daily........Also her contract is up, and the food channel is choosing not to renew.   If she truely is a changed person......she should work to show that she is fair minded and that the period we grew up in was wrong.....she will be fine, because if she is sincere.....people will see it and she will continue to be successful, and maybe more so......

I don't think there are many people in this country who haven't used the "N" word at some time in their life. There is nothing wrong w/ a wedding that is about an era anymore than a movie that is about an era.People have gone too far w/ claiming racism in every damn thing they can imagine.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you, Dreams.  I attended such a wedding in Mississippi in the 1970's...not a reenactment but the real deal...the "nannies" weren't allowed out on the lawn where the wedding was taking place...they were to stay in the kitchen and manage the food...even though they had helped raise my friend...and no, I don't think she was racist...just grew up in a bubble.  We all grew up in a bubble...now it's time to face the facts...ugly as they might be.  I don't really care whether Paula Deen succeeds from this point on or not.  I always thought she was playing a role...and I don't particularly like that character.  To long for the days of slavery is sick.

2seaoat

All of this crap is being blown out of proportion due to her celebrity status and deep pockets..

I do not know all the facts.....but planning the wedding as an old south plantation with black servants in white uniforms........what if it is not being blown out of proportion.....what if she is a flaming racist and lied about what BP posted........without all the facts.....do you not think the food channel should make their own decision?  What if this is really being understated?

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

2seaoat wrote:All of this crap is being blown out of proportion due to her celebrity status and deep pockets..

I do not know all the facts.....but planning the wedding as an old south plantation with black servants in white uniforms........what if it is not being blown out of proportion.....what if she is a flaming racist and lied about what BP posted........without all the facts.....do you not think the food channel should make their own decision?  What if this is really being understated?

A court case brought forth by former Paula Deen Enterprises employee Lisa Jackson against Deen and her brother, Earl “Bubba” Hiers. Jackson alleges several instances of sexual and racial workplace discrimination.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Joanimaroni wrote:Why? Her medical condition is private and she never made anyone eat the food she made on her TV show.

If you've watched her show, you know that she frequently used unhealthy quantities of butter and sugar.  In other words, with her Type 2 diabetes, she probably couldn't eat what she made for the mass audience.  Is that hypocritical?  You tell me.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Floridatexan wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:Why? Her medical condition is private and she never made anyone eat the food she made on her TV show.

If you've watched her show, you know that she frequently used unhealthy quantities of butter and sugar.  In other words, with her Type 2 diabetes, she probably couldn't eat what she made for the mass audience.  Is that hypocritical?  You tell me.

Once again...no one is forced to use her recipes. She is the epitome of southern cooking. Hypocrisy, I don't see her pretending to be someone she is not.

While visiting Savannah I have eaten at her restaurant several times and at Uncle Bubba's. I took a Paula Deen tour and was very impressed when the tour bus stopped several times for the patrons to shop at businesses that helped Paula get her start years ago as the Bag-Lady. She is still repaying them for their generosity. One stop was a small wholesale vegetable market...they gave Paula food to start her bag lunch businesses and allowed her to pay them back when she could....

Paula Deen did not forget the hard times she endured and she is a self-made millionaire.

Floridatexan wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you, Dreams.  I attended such a wedding in Mississippi in the 1970's...not a reenactment but the real deal...the "nannies" weren't allowed out on the lawn where the wedding was taking place...they were to stay in the kitchen and manage the food...even though they had helped raise my friend...and no, I don't think she was racist...just grew up in a bubble.  We all grew up in a bubble...now it's time to face the facts...ugly as they might be.  I don't really care whether Paula Deen succeeds from this point on or not.  I always thought she was playing a role...and I don't particularly like that character.  To long for the days of slavery is sick.

I agree that slavery was sick but we're talking about a period wedding just as an enactment of those days would be. They have enactments at the downtown historical society w/ people dressed during those times. Some people may be offended and that's their right but doing a wedding about an era doesn't seem racist to me. I came from Calif.to a peanut farm my in-laws had in Coffee Co.,Al. in the 70's and saw the black maid eating on the porch. My mother-in-law said when I asked about it "black people don't eat w/ white people". The "n"word was thrown around like pecans from their tree. It was indeed a culture shock. My mother had warned me people in the south were a different breed. She was right. Paula Deen was brought up in that culture but it doesn't mean she is the same person she was back then.

2seaoat

Paula Deen did not forget the hard times she endured and she is a self-made millionaire.

Like martha stewart.....she may actually do better if she is sincere and really is not a racist......who knows.....stranger things could happen.

Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Dreamsglore wrote:
Floridatexan wrote:
Dreamsglore wrote:

I agree that slavery was sick but we're talking about a period wedding just as an enactment of those days would be. They have enactments at the downtown historical society w/ people dressed during those times. Some people may be offended and that's their right but doing a wedding about an era doesn't seem racist to me. I came from Calif.to a peanut farm my in-laws had in Coffee Co.,Al. in the 70's and saw the black maid eating on the porch. My mother-in-law said when I asked about it "black people don't eat w/ white people". The "n"word was thrown around like pecans from their tree. It was indeed a culture shock. My mother had warned me people in the south were a different breed. She was right. Paula Deen was brought up in that culture but it doesn't mean she is the same person she was back then.

Exactly!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum