Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tornadoes Devastate OK Leveling Neighborhoods and at Least One Occupied School

+2
Hospital Bob
Sal
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:So far I have been unable to make contact with any of my relatives that are in the area. Needless to say I am really concerned. I have an uncle and brother that lives in Moore.

Praying for them, Ghost.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

My gosh. Moore was also hit by another strong tornado in 2003.

Four years after an F5 tornado destroyed large sections of Moore during the 1999 Oklahoma tornado outbreak, another strong tornado affected the area. The storm responsible for the Moore tornado developed across Grady County during the mid-afternoon hours and produced a weak tornado near Newcastle and west of Moore. Just after 5:00 PM, a new tornado touched down on the west side of Moore west of Interstate 35 and moved east northeast across Moore... Damage across Moore was rated as high as a high-end F3 near 12th Street where several businesses, two hotels, an office building, a church, several restaurants, a child center and a Headstart Program building were either severely damaged or destroyed. It also damaged numerous homes in the Highland Park subdivision which was mostly destroyed by the F5 tornado which passed just a few blocks north of the May 8, 2003 tornado. Other homes on the north side of the city also sustained significant damage before crossing the Cleveland-Oklahoma county line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_2003_tornado_outbreak_sequence#Moore_Tornado_.28F4.29

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This is what the tornado looked like as it passed through Newcastle which is several miles southwest of Moore.
They typically move along the ground at about 35 mph so that will give you some perspective as to how much ground it's covering in this video.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Storm chaser Ben Holcombe was located at point "B" on this map when he shot the video seen below.
The school is at "C" and ghost's brother is at "A" (which appears to be about as close to the path as Holcombe was).

At about 30 on the time counter you will see how close Holcombe got to the vortex.

Tornadoes Devastate OK Leveling Neighborhoods and at Least One Occupied School - Page 2 Tornad14

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

The 39 second point on Holcombe's video. That object is likely at least a mile away and that would make it very large in size.

Tornadoes Devastate OK Leveling Neighborhoods and at Least One Occupied School - Page 2 Tornad15

Sal

Sal

Bob wrote:My gosh. Moore was also hit by another strong tornado in 2003.

Four years after an F5 tornado destroyed large sections of Moore during the 1999 Oklahoma tornado outbreak, another strong tornado affected the area. The storm responsible for the Moore tornado developed across Grady County during the mid-afternoon hours and produced a weak tornado near Newcastle and west of Moore. Just after 5:00 PM, a new tornado touched down on the west side of Moore west of Interstate 35 and moved east northeast across Moore... Damage across Moore was rated as high as a high-end F3 near 12th Street where several businesses, two hotels, an office building, a church, several restaurants, a child center and a Headstart Program building were either severely damaged or destroyed. It also damaged numerous homes in the Highland Park subdivision which was mostly destroyed by the F5 tornado which passed just a few blocks north of the May 8, 2003 tornado. Other homes on the north side of the city also sustained significant damage before crossing the Cleveland-Oklahoma county line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_2003_tornado_outbreak_sequence#Moore_Tornado_.28F4.29

Unbelievable.

Having lived through a tornado, I would say that after a specific city has been hit three times in less than fifteen years, I would have to consider relocating.

That's fucking insane.

Sal

Sal

This monster was pulling the turf up by the roots.

It was literally digging a trough as it went through.

I don't think I've ever seen that before.

TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Wow Oklahoma must be full of evil people..this never happens in Washington DC.....like it should....guess life isn't fair after all.

Tornadoes Devastate OK Leveling Neighborhoods and at Least One Occupied School - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3V3IJp7dcew_t1ShRuhP6717uqFyIjvNNRTP6ncPcROngHH0olw

With hope and feeling for all those affected by this disaster.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoSOuYNNXjU

Smile

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Sal wrote:

Unbelievable.

Having lived through a tornado, I would say that after a specific city has been hit three times in less than fifteen years, I would have to consider relocating.

That's fucking insane.

The actual track of the tornado has it shifting more eastward as it passes north of Newcastle and as it enters Moore it's almost on a due east path.
But what's remarkable is how the tracks of the 1999 and 2013 tornados are so close to each other in the beginning.

Tornadoes Devastate OK Leveling Neighborhoods and at Least One Occupied School - Page 2 Tornad16

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This map has the path not shifting quite as quickly eastward.

But look at that spot where all three tornado paths converge. Whoever lived there for all three must be the unluckiest person on earth.

Tornadoes Devastate OK Leveling Neighborhoods and at Least One Occupied School - Page 2 Tornad17

Sal

Sal

I see the casualty list has been revised down from 51 dead including 20 children to 24 dead including 7 children.

Sal wrote:I see the casualty list has been revised down from 51 dead including 20 children to 24 dead including 7 children.

And the tragic thing about it is that most of kids that died drowned when the basement of the school flooded.

PBulldog2

PBulldog2

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:So far I have been unable to make contact with any of my relatives that are in the area. Needless to say I am really concerned. I have an uncle and brother that lives in Moore.

I so hope they are OK, Ghost. My husband has no relatives left in Oklahoma, but he has quite a few friends in the Moore area.

This is so sad.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum