Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Tornadoes Devastate OK Leveling Neighborhoods and at Least One Occupied School

+2
Hospital Bob
Sal
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Sal

Sal

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/20/us/severe-weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This is a natural disaster of historic proportions.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Heartbreaking. Hoping all those school kids are alright.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

What unbelievably bad luck. Moore was devastated by another F5 tornado in 1999 (which produced the highest wind speeds in recorded history, 303 mph). It would be like if the same spot on the coast got a cat 5 hurricane twice in 14 years.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Those people only have minutes, if that, to get to safety. If it were a hurricane, none of those kids would even be in school today. They would have known it was heading their way days ago.

http://www.tornadoalleylive.com/subindex/weather/maps

I was watching it live from the start on this site..

Lurch wrote:http://www.tornadoalleylive.com/subindex/weather/maps

I was watching it live from the start on this site..

Thanks
Found this in the chat room
ndigoGitana
Missing kids found ALIVE in school's "safe room

OMG watching CNN live This is unreal Keep these people in your thoughts This is bad

Nekochan

Nekochan

All kids at one of the schools are alive and accounted for.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/cvplive/cvpstream3.html

Sal

Sal

The videos of that twister are terrifying, and they were showing several neighborhoods where there is NOTHING left except foundations and driveways.

Whoa ...

So far I have been unable to make contact with any of my relatives that are in the area. Needless to say I am really concerned. I have an uncle and brother that lives in Moore.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Terrible news coming from the other school though. Many children believe trapped and dead.

Ghost, I hope your family and friends are alright and you hear from them soon. When we had the tornadoes up here 2 years ago, we did not even have cell phone service for several days.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I was curious about how close the path of the 1999 Moore tornado was to this one. I googled up that info and made this little map for us to see.

The path of the 99 tornado is roughly between the red lines (it first touched down where those lines begin).
And the path of the one today is between the blue lines. But that's based on the one today also being a mile wide and now CNN is reporting the width as 2 miles which would extend it's path and make it even closer to the earlier one.
The school which was destroyed in today's tornado is located where the "A" balloon is on the map.

Tornadoes Devastate OK Leveling Neighborhoods and at Least One Occupied School Tornad10

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Ghost_Rider1 wrote:So far I have been unable to make contact with any of my relatives that are in the area. Needless to say I am really concerned. I have an uncle and brother that lives in Moore.

If you have your relatives' addresses you can map that with google, ghost, and then see how close it is to the path on my map.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

This is a more accurate map than the first one, ghost. Today's tornado path is between the blue lines.

Tornadoes Devastate OK Leveling Neighborhoods and at Least One Occupied School Tornad11

Bob wrote:This is a more accurate map than the first one, ghost. Today's tornado path is between the blue lines.

Tornadoes Devastate OK Leveling Neighborhoods and at Least One Occupied School Tornad11

Thanks Bob, just got a message from my brother and he and his family and my uncle and his are all OK. He said service is spotty at best and that he has been trying to reach me since shorty after the tornadoes hit. I would imagine that all the circuits are overloaded about now. If you look at the map you posted, find Broad Moore, he lives just NW of there close to I-35.

As for the 99 tornado, I do not believe that it stayed on the ground for 40 minutes like this one did.

Nekochan

Nekochan

That's great, Ghost.

Nekochan wrote:That's great, Ghost.

Thanks Neko. I just saw a report that is saying so far 51 have been killed.

Glad all your people are ok!!!! cheers Mr Ghost. Let us know if we can help. I think there is going to be a large death toll when it is all sorted out. What a tragic event.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

So glad to hear that, ghost.

Man that was a close call. Broad Moore is "A" on the map. And the Plaza Towers Elementary school is "B". If you look at the scale of miles in the left corner of the map you can see how close he was to the path.

Did your brother see the tornado passing to the north of him (was he home at the time)?

This is really turning into a tragedy of horrible proportions. One local tv reporter just told CNN there could be dozens of children killed in the school.
CNN on the internet is confirming seven already.

Tornadoes Devastate OK Leveling Neighborhoods and at Least One Occupied School Tornad12

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

There are more reports of this tornado being two miles wide. That's almost unheard of.
Here's a map of Pensacola with a 2 mile indicator in the lower left corner.
Just take that width and picture how much of Pensacola would be impacted by a two mile wide twister which is at least F4 and maybe F5 in intensity.

Tornadoes Devastate OK Leveling Neighborhoods and at Least One Occupied School Tornad13

Bob wrote:So glad to hear that, ghost.

Man that was a close call. Broad Moore is "A" on the map. And the Plaza Towers Elementary school is "B". If you look at the scale of miles in the left corner of the map you can see how close he was to the path.

Did your brother see the tornado passing to the north of him (was he home at the time)?

This is really turning into a tragedy of horrible proportions. One local tv reporter just told CNN there could be dozens of children killed in the school.
CNN on the internet is confirming seven already.

Tornadoes Devastate OK Leveling Neighborhoods and at Least One Occupied School Tornad12

He lives on Southern Hills Dr which is east of I-35 and the school is west of the interstate. The school is northwest of my brothers house.

Last edited by Ghost_Rider1 on 5/20/2013, 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Glad your family is ok ghost.

This is heartbreaking.

I hate tornados.

Chrissy wrote:Glad your family is ok ghost.

This is heartbreaking.

I hate tornados.

Me too. At least with hurricanes you get somewhat of an advanced notification, unlike tornadoes.

Just received a FB post from my brother and I cannot substantiate this, but he said they are hearing reports of debris from the Moore tornadoes has been found in Branson MO, 250 miles away.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes, they are appreciated.

Last edited by Ghost_Rider1 on 5/20/2013, 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum