Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

16-yr-old Student Expelled - Faces Felony Charges for Doing Science Experiment

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Sal

Sal

Really??

Good thing she wasn't carrying Skittles and Iced Tea.

They woulda shot her and then expelled her posthumously.

Kiera Wilmot got good grades and had a perfect behavior record. She wasn't the kind of kid you'd expect to find hauled away in handcuffs and expelled from school, but that's exactly what happened after an attempt at a science project went horribly wrong.

On 7 a.m. on Monday, the 16 year-old mixed some common household chemicals in a small 8 oz water bottle on the grounds of Bartow High School in Bartow, Florida. The reaction caused a small explosion that caused the top to pop up and produced some smoke. No one was hurt and no damage was caused.

According to WTSP, Wilmot told police that she was merely conducting a science experiment. Though her teachers knew nothing of the specific project, her principal seems to agree.

"She made a bad choice. Honestly, I don't think she meant to ever hurt anyone," principal Ron Pritchard told the station. "She wanted to see what would happen [when the chemicals mixed] and was shocked by what it did. Her mother is shocked, too."

After the explosion Wilmot was taken into custody by a school resources officer and charged with possession/discharge of a weapon on school grounds and discharging a destructive device. She will be tried as an adult.

She was then taken to a juvenile assessment center. She was also expelled from school and will be forced to complete her diploma through an expulsion program.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2013/04/florida_teen_girl_charged_with.php

2seaoat

Zero tolerance violations translate to lazy idiot administrators......a police resource officer in school.....we train our children early that a uniformed person must be righteous and correct, and we should respond to the same like high school sophomores......we have a very serious problem in this country, and as our middle class is liquidating as I write......we are becoming them and us.....and a police force is controlled by them.

If you know anything about Bartow you will know that getting expelled was the best thing that ever happened to her.

2seaoat

If you know anything about Bartow you will know that getting expelled was the best thing that ever happened to her.

Expulsion can screw a kid up. I knew a person whose son was fishing and took a simple pocket knife to school forgetting to take it out of his cargo pants. They did a search of students looking for tobacco and a dean found the pocket knife. He was given a hearing after he was expelled, but zero tolerance had just started to be the big thing 20 years ago. Well the kid was put in an alternative school where all the kids with drug issues and violence issues were sent, and that kids life was drastically changed for the worse, because of something as stupid as a pocket knife. I took my boy scout knife to school every day of my jr. and high school life.......and to think regardless of the intent, or the kid.....zero tolerance kicks somebody out.....we have lost our minds.

2seaoat wrote:If you know anything about Bartow you will know that getting expelled was the best thing that ever happened to her.

Expulsion can screw a kid up. I knew a person whose son was fishing and took a simple pocket knife to school forgetting to take it out of his cargo pants. They did a search of students looking for tobacco and a dean found the pocket knife. He was given a hearing after he was expelled, but zero tolerance had just started to be the big thing 20 years ago. Well the kid was put in an alternative school where all the kids with drug issues and violence issues were sent, and that kids life was drastically changed for the worse, because of something as stupid as a pocket knife. I took my boy scout knife to school every day of my jr. and high school life.......and to think regardless of the intent, or the kid.....zero tolerance kicks somebody out.....we have lost our minds.

I agree. My father was born very close to Bartow therefore the comment. He was not overly fond of the place.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Utterly insane.

Margin Call

Margin Call

Hallmarkgrad1 wrote:If you know anything about Bartow you will know that getting expelled was the best thing that ever happened to her.

Yes. Bartow is a shithole.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum