Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

WHY is it that year after year the Academy of Country Music Awards ALWAYS puts on a better show than all the others combined?

+2
2seaoat
Markle
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Markle

Markle

WHY is it that year after year the Academy of Country Music Awards ALWAYS puts on a better show than all the others combined?
They put on a spectacular show, no one curses and has to be bleeped, no one denigrates America or ANY Americans. Instead, they praise America and ALL Americans. It is fun, upbeat, they poke fun at themselves. There are no political speeches. There are songs about Jesus and people cheer rather than turn their backs.

They don't scream "F" Jesus, I did this all myself as did Kathy Griffin a few years back. Instead they thank Him for blessing them with their talents.

Last edited by Markle on 4/7/2013, 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

2seaoat

Whoa.....Mr. Markle......are you watching it tonight.....people talking about how their jeans have "ball room", and nothing up front.....my wife heard that and went into the other room to watch the other TV.........are you watching tonight?

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Whoa.....Mr. Markle......are you watching it tonight.....people talking about how their jeans have "ball room", and nothing up front.....my wife heard that and went into the other room to watch the other TV.........are you watching tonight?

Yep, no profanities either right?

No, they didn't say how their jeans had ball room, rather they were comparing one singers jeans with the Day's Inn and said neither had any ballroom. I'm so sorry that a play on words was so offensive to your wife.

Sal

Sal

They don't.

You're just an imbecilic redneck, and it's designed to appeal to you.

Thank gawd for Sunday night baseball.

2seaoat

I'm so sorry that a play on words was so offensive to your wife.

She accepts your apology and error that the show is not offensive. She came back in to listen to some of the acts, and likes the acts.....she just finds the humor childish and tedious when using fourth grade ball jokes.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I'm so glad you asked that question, markle.
I was watching tv with some boomer friends when it came on. We thought we were watching the rock n roll awards.
What you're witnessing with this and it goes for country in general today, is rock and roll of about 30 years ago.
At the time rock and roll was on the downslope. Being replaced with what came after.
But country was Just starting "to get" rock and roll. And country took that ball and ran with it, all the way to what you see today.
And this is not a generation bias perspective. Because I fully recognize that's part of it. But it's also what I just said.
Is that a bad thing? Hell no, us boomers were getting off on it.

2seaoat

Oh boy.....we just had a fifth grade breast feeding joke.....really Markle.......are you watching this......the show is great.....you can have the folks telling the jokes.

Markle

Markle

Sal wrote:They don't.

You're just an imbecilic redneck, and it's designed to appeal to you.

Thank gawd for Sunday night baseball.

Enjoy the game! Let us know how fast the grass grew!

It's spelled God for future reference.

I'd be proud to be a redneck. Good, proud people.

Last edited by Markle on 4/7/2013, 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

2seaoat

The coolest thing is that I saw her "necked"......we are back into fourth grade..........

2seaoat

The wait was worth it.....I got to see Musgrave.....I really liked her dress and I hope she gets an award.

It hasn't been real country music in over 20 years. I wouldn't award any of the junk out there these days.

knothead

knothead

In so many ways I am a redneck . . . . . . I will never deny my heritage . . . . . my wife and I are watching the show and it is . . . . . . well . . . . so-so . . . .so much talent but country? Uh hell no . . . . the only real country act so far has been George Strait and that is not to say I am not a fan of some of the other acts but country has evolved to a point that is literally no longer country. Give me George Jones, Willie Nelson, Reba and that is more purist country.

We can always depend on Markle to politicize every thing . . . . . he has a true talent for such shanigans but he is entitled to his opinion as we all do.

Back to the show . . . .

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:The coolest thing is that I saw her "necked"......we are back into fourth grade..........

Yeah, and a forth grader, watching with their parents won't have to have it explained to them nor will the parents be embarrassed.

I'm glad you and your wife enjoy the more "mature" humor of such comedians as Kathy Griffin and her equals.

knothead wrote:In so many ways I am a redneck . . . . . . I will never deny my heritage . . . . . my wife and I are watching the show and it is . . . . . . well . . . . so-so . . . .so much talent but country? Uh hell no . . . . the only real country act so far has been George Strait and that is not to say I am not a fan of some of the other acts but country has evolved to a point that is literally no longer country. Give me George Jones, Willie Nelson, Reba and that is more purist country.

We can always depend on Markle to politicize every thing . . . . . he has a true talent for such shanigans but he is entitled to his opinion as we all do.

Back to the show . . . .

AMEN! We used to get Merle, George and Conway down at the Civic Center.
That was country music.

knothead

knothead

bluemoon wrote:
knothead wrote:In so many ways I am a redneck . . . . . . I will never deny my heritage . . . . . my wife and I are watching the show and it is . . . . . . well . . . . so-so . . . .so much talent but country? Uh hell no . . . . the only real country act so far has been George Strait and that is not to say I am not a fan of some of the other acts but country has evolved to a point that is literally no longer country. Give me George Jones, Willie Nelson, Reba and that is more purist country.

Back to the show . . . .

AMEN! We used to get Merle, George and Conway down at the Civic Center.
That was country music.

I hear you Bro, when I was 15 I parked cars for a Conway Twitty and Jan and Dean concert . . . . . Hello Darlin' . . . . . . now that's hits me in my sweet spot . . . . . good country.

All this fuss about jokes about ballrooms is minor stuff. Old Conway's best song ever (I think) was about a lover with a slow touch not coming with a heavin' rush. Now that was dirty, but it was great music.

And it was as country as country can get.

Markle

Markle

bluemoon wrote:It hasn't been real country music in over 20 years. I wouldn't award any of the junk out there these days.

And you don't even have to watch.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

knothead wrote:

I hear you Bro, when I was 15 I parked cars for a Conway Twitty and Jan and Dean concert . . . . . Hello Darlin' . . . . . . now that's hits me in my sweet spot . . . . . good country.

I predate you. Back to Twitty's rock and roll days. And make no mistake about it he was a rock and roll before he was country.
This is one of the first two or three records I ever bought. It was 1960 when I had just turned 11 years old. And the reason I bought it was because it was played almost continuously on the rock and roll radio stations.
It's Conway Twitty's Elvis period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0D3b4c2lI8

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Back to the show . . . .

Exactly who I was going to mention, knothead, but you beat me to it. Looking out there, George Strait is one of the few that I like today. I didn't watch the awards...I'm in recovery mode from Chuck E Cheese. There are a few country singers today that can make me think of the old days of country...where my heart is.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

By the way, some here will remember that the ground zero for music in 1960 and going forward, was the record shop at Town and Country Plaza.
The store owner was also the local concert promoter.
The same year I bought the record Twitty made an appearance at that little podunk record store to sign records. My cousin and I got our Dads to take us to it. I got my Lonely Blue Boy copy signed.

I don't think there were any other record stores in Pensacola at that time. The old Pleezing grocery store sold records too but I can't think of anywhere else there was to shop for music. The malls weren't around back then, were they?

2seaoat

Johhny Cash and Roger Miller for me.......but I like Chet Adkins and McGraw....and actually Taylor.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

bluemoon wrote:I don't think there were any other record stores in Pensacola at that time. The old Pleezing grocery store sold records too but I can't think of anywhere else there was to shop for music. The malls weren't around back then, were they?

Newberry's (the dimestore downtown) and a couple of other places sold 45's. I think that's where I got my Ritchie Valens memorial 45 (which was being sold right after his death in 59) which was the very first record I ever bought.
But what you're remembering is right. That T&C record shop was the center of it all.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

At that time the WNVY radio studio was located back there near the record shop. And of course that wbecame the domain of Papa Don. He and a little later on, Jerry "Daddy Rabbit" Ray (at WBSR), were the voice of Pensacola rock and roll.

Last edited by Bob on 4/7/2013, 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

knothead

knothead

Bob wrote:
knothead wrote:

I predate you. Back to Twitty's rock and roll days. And make no mistake about it he was a rock and roll before he was country.
This is one of the first two or three records I ever bought. It was 1960 when I had just turned 11 years old. And the reason I bought it was because it was played almost continuously on the rock and roll radio stations.
It's Conway Twitty's Elvis period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0D3b4c2lI8

Well Bob it's comforting to know that someone here that predates me . . . . . that's so cool but hang in there . . . . . it ain't for sissies is it?

I completely agree with you as my recollection of Conway's "Elvis" period was with his release of Is a Blue Bird Blue and Mona Lisa and I clearly remember my elders being outraged at his screwing up such classic songs but then Conway saw the err of his ways and went into his more honest niche and began recording country music and the rest is history.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum