Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How do you make stuffed bell peppers?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Among my favorite of all foods so I'm always looking for some tweaks.

I throw bell pepper halves and rice into boiling water and boil till the peppers are nice and tender (but not too soft) and the rice is cooked.
I saute some ground beef. Then I combine that with my homemade spaghetti sauce and the rice and then stuff the pepper halves with it.
I do that ahead and refrigerate it. Then to serve it I heat it on the 30% setting with a microwave.

How do you do it?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Come on, with all the cooks around here are you telling me none of you eats stuffed papers? That's just wrong.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

I have my own recipe; except I cut the peppers up and sort of cook them into a casserole-type dish on top of the stove. No one in my family will eat this dish, but me. I sort of came up with it on my own about 24 years ago.

I'd list the whole recipe here now, but I am too lazy to do so tonight.

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Stouffer's frozen stuffed bell peppers will often do in a pinch....

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

here Bob this should help No

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

ForgetHell wrote:here Bob this should help No

Wow, now that is cool as hell. Thanks for sharing. lol

It is a rerun...... I watched on channel 3 a couple of days ago.

hole out the top of bell peppers, they stay whole exept for the top.

boil them just a little.

cook rice

cut up a pepper and onion and stir into meat, add your fav spegetti sauce and the rice. stuff the peppers with this mixture and bake in oven, top with cheese when almost done.

I prefer unstuffed peppers.

Make it like a casserole, and you only need 1 or 2 peppers for the entire meal. lay stips on bottom and top of 'filling' and bake for an hour.
Delicious!! Easier too Smile

Sal

Sal

Here's how I do it, Bob ...

#1 - DO NOT BOIL THE PEPPERS
#2 - DO NOT BROWN THE GROUND BEEF
#3 - DO NOT PRECOOK THE RICE

OK, here we go ...

The measurements are approximated, because I never measure nothing when cooking.

6-8 beautiful peppers (i like a mix of green, yellow, and red)
1.5 lb ground beef
1 yellow onion
.25 - .35 cup raw rice (I use brown because it's healthier)
1 egg
some salt and pepper
some parsley
some oregano
some cayenne
some garlic
big can of whole tomatoes
some ketchup

preheat oven to 375

core the peppers and keep the tops

discard the stems from the tops and chop the remaining pepper

combine the beef, rice, onion, egg, catsup, 3/4 of the can of tomatoes, and all of the spices in a large mixing bowl and proceed to mash it up good with your hands

Put the peppers in a large pot or roaster with a lid and fill the peppers with the beef mixture (if you have extra, and I usually do, just spoon it around the peppers in the pot)

Crush the remainder of the tomatoes over the peppers and pour the remaining liquid into the pot

Cover that sucker up and throw it in the oven for about 1.45 hours for white rice and 2 - 2.15 hours for brown

When they're almost done, you can put some grated cheddar or parmesan on top the peppers (I don't find it necessary)

Feast

HINT: When I'm doing this, I make a little extra beef mixture, and stuff a few poblanos and jalapenos and throw 'em into the mix for a little extra heat

Give it a try, Bob.

It's yummy.

Yella

Yella

I decided to visit Bob yesterday evening and found him at work on his stuffed peppers. They smelled wonderful, possibly because he has a collard green combination recipe that he found in a Grateful Dead Recipe Book. His kitchen was filled with rich aromas as he slaved over a hot stove,

http://warpedinblue,blogspot.com/

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

Sal, that was a wonderful recipe. But I always parboil the peppers...a couple of minutes in boiling water, then plunge into cold water. Remove, core & stuff. Takes away the "repeat factor."

---------------

Try this if you really feel like cooking. It's labor-intensive.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/29565-chiles-rellenos

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

I think the peppers need either steam or boiling first. I've never liked stuffed peppers that are baked from raw. You have to overcook em to get em tender enough.
Other than that I imagine Sal's recipe is probably very tasty.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum