Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MSNBC Almost Entirely Dominated By Opinion: Pew Study

+6
Markle
othershoe1030
Hospital Bob
knothead
2seaoat
VectorMan
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

VectorMan

VectorMan

MSNBC is far more reliant on opinion coverage than any of its cable news rivals, a new study found.

The Pew Research Center's annual "State of the Media" study was released Monday. One section of the report — which, when taken in its totality, makes for very gloomy reading — deals with changes in the television news landscape over the past five years.

The study's authors found that, since 2007, CNN, Fox News and MSNBC have all cut back sharply on the amount of actual reporting found on their airwaves. Cheaper, more provocative debate or interview segments have largely filled the void. MSNBC, though, stands out from the pack, Pew said:

CNN, which has branded itself around reporting resources and reach, cut back between 2007 and 2012 on two areas tied to that brand—in-depth story packages and live event coverage. Even so, CNN is the only one of the three big cable news channels to produce more straight reporting than commentary over all. At the other end of that spectrum lies MSNBC, where opinion fills a full 85% of the channel’s airtime.
Pew found that Fox News spent 55 percent of the time on opinion and 45 percent of the time on reporting. Critics of that figure would likely contend that the network's straight news reporting tilts conservative, but it is true that Fox News has more shows that feature reporting packages than MSNBC does. The network's straight news hours — hosted by Chris Jansing, Thomas Roberts, Tamron Hall and Andrea Mitchell — are usually filled with interview segments or pundit debates.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/18/msnbc-opinion-cable-news_n_2900160.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl7%7Csec3_lnk3%26pLid%3D285127

2seaoat

Fox News spent 55 percent of the time on opinion and 45 percent of the time on reporting.

Thats funny. lol!

knothead

knothead

Wouldn't Fox News technically be an oxymoron?

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

VectorMan wrote:MSNBC is far more reliant on opinion coverage than any of its cable news rivals, a new study found.

The Pew Research Center's annual "State of the Media" study was released Monday. One section of the report — which, when taken in its totality, makes for very gloomy reading — deals with changes in the television news landscape over the past five years.

The study's authors found that, since 2007, CNN, Fox News and MSNBC have all cut back sharply on the amount of actual reporting found on their airwaves. Cheaper, more provocative debate or interview segments have largely filled the void. MSNBC, though, stands out from the pack, Pew said:

CNN, which has branded itself around reporting resources and reach, cut back between 2007 and 2012 on two areas tied to that brand—in-depth story packages and live event coverage. Even so, CNN is the only one of the three big cable news channels to produce more straight reporting than commentary over all. At the other end of that spectrum lies MSNBC, where opinion fills a full 85% of the channel’s airtime.
Pew found that Fox News spent 55 percent of the time on opinion and 45 percent of the time on reporting. Critics of that figure would likely contend that the network's straight news reporting tilts conservative, but it is true that Fox News has more shows that feature reporting packages than MSNBC does. The network's straight news hours — hosted by Chris Jansing, Thomas Roberts, Tamron Hall and Andrea Mitchell — are usually filled with interview segments or pundit debates.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/18/msnbc-opinion-cable-news_n_2900160.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl7%7Csec3_lnk3%26pLid%3D285127

As a viewer of all of it I can't really disagree. But it leaves out something really significant about fox news and this goes mainly for it's "straight news". Fox News is the most egregious when it comes to bumping anything substantive with the sensationalist stuff. It loves to "lead with bleed", live car chases, car wrecks, sinkholes, fires, celebrity meltdowns, etc. Of course just like with the "opinion vs reporting" ratio, they're all three guilty of this. But Fox News swings even more national enquirer'esque than the other two.
So even though fox news might win in a contest with msnbc on the "percentage of opinion vs reporting" competition, any good appraisal of it needs to look at exactly what it is fox news is "reporting".

But of course this is fully understandable since Murdoch comes from a background of "tabloid" newspapers.

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

The viewers of MSNBC know what they are getting. It is my favorite cable channel for getting information about the issues that I find important. That being said, I agree, much of it is opinion or a news/information statement followed closely by commentary as to how the story impacts us liberals. This is fine with me. If I want straight news I'll go to BBC and NPR, NYT, Christian Science Monitor, AP. I don't think MSNBC makes a secret of its positions.

Now, when it comes to F News they claim to be fair and balanced and are neither. They continue to try to masquerade as a News Network which is a total joke. They are like Rush in a short red low cut dress. (Now there's an unpleasant image!). Unfortunately many of their viewers think they really are getting "the news" all the time. As Bill O says We report, You decide. Garbage in, garbage out.

VectorMan

VectorMan

othershoe1030 wrote:The viewers of MSNBC know what they are getting. It is my favorite cable channel for getting information about the issues that I find important. That being said, I agree, much of it is opinion or a news/information statement followed closely by commentary as to how the story impacts us liberals. This is fine with me. If I want straight news I'll go to BBC and NPR, NYT, Christian Science Monitor, AP. I don't think MSNBC makes a secret of its positions.

Now, when it comes to F News they claim to be fair and balanced and are neither. They continue to try to masquerade as a News Network which is a total joke. They are like Rush in a short red low cut dress. (Now there's an unpleasant image!). Unfortunately many of their viewers think they really are getting "the news" all the time. As Bill O says We report, You decide. Garbage in, garbage out.

What would you say MSNBC is masquerading as?

I think your sources for the "straight" news is questionable at best. Looks more like another segmented arm of the liberal machine.

VectorMan wrote:
othershoe1030 wrote:The viewers of MSNBC know what they are getting. It is my favorite cable channel for getting information about the issues that I find important. That being said, I agree, much of it is opinion or a news/information statement followed closely by commentary as to how the story impacts us liberals. This is fine with me. If I want straight news I'll go to BBC and NPR, NYT, Christian Science Monitor, AP. I don't think MSNBC makes a secret of its positions.

I think your sources for the "straight" news is questionable at best. Looks more like another segmented arm of the liberal machine.

Everything looks skewed to you because you have your head up beck's ass, while criticizing other's for watching opinion driven "news".

I don't watch any of that crap, on any of the networks mentioned, and i sure as hell don't need some talking head to tell me what my opinion is on anything....much less everything like the beck heads or ditto heads.

BTW...it's your/are moron.

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Fox News spent 55 percent of the time on opinion and 45 percent of the time on reporting.

Thats funny. lol!

Fair and Balanced, how is that funny?

boards of FL

boards of FL

From the actual report:

A separate analysis of cable in late 2012 finds that, over all, commentary and opinion are far more prevalent on the air (63% of the airtime) than straight news reporting (37%). CNN is the only channel to offer more reporting (54%) than opinion (46%), though by a small margin. By far the highest percentage of opinion and commentary is on MSNBC (85% to 15% reporting). Fox was in between at 55% commentary and 45% reporting.

Doesn't this just confirm what we already know?

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

VectorMan wrote:

In addition to MSNBC's saying of "Lean Forward" they also bill themselves as 'THE Place for Politics'. I think that pretty well says it. You don't hear news about the huge drought in the mid-west or anything else unless there is a political angle to it, albeit there almost always is a political connection to most stories but they stick to covering political statements, voting records, public opinion polls, legislation, etc.

My references to news sources must look like part of the liberal machine because they are dealing with what most people consider to be reality as opposed to the jerks at F news, Rush, etc. who make it up as they go along and create their own wonderful bubble. Remember how Karl Rove and Mittens were so shocked on election night? They believed their own stupid press. Look where that got them.

cool1

cool1

every time I turn on MSNBC------- I see guys in prison all the time--Texas-Florida all the states over and over and over and over --and lately they have been showing every state where someone has shot someone - every incident , It gets old. Mad

othershoe1030

othershoe1030

cool1 wrote:every time I turn on MSNBC------- I see guys in prison all the time--Texas-Florida all the states over and over and over and over --and lately they have been showing every state where someone has shot someone - every incident , It gets old. Mad

They do that prison thing nearly all weekend long. I hate it. It is stupid. There are a few political shows starting at 8 AM on Sat. not sure about Sunday. They really do their usual programming Monday through Friday. During the run-up to the presidential election they did have regular coverage on the weekends but have regressed to the prison format except for the AM shows.

cool1 wrote:every time I turn on MSNBC------- I see guys in prison all the time--Texas-Florida all the states over and over and over and over --and lately they have been showing every state where someone has shot someone - every incident , It gets old. Mad

So don't turn it on...I don't.

I'm sure you can get your fix @ Faux. Insight and cognition don't seem to be your forte', so what does it really matter anyway...?

Howyadoin... wrote:
cool1 wrote:evx

I'm sure you can get your fix @ Faux. Insight and cognition don't seem to be your forte', so what does it really matter anyway...?

MSNBC Almost Entirely Dominated By Opinion: Pew Study 36392118

nochain wrote:
Howyadoin... wrote:

MSNBC Almost Entirely Dominated By Opinion: Pew Study 36392118

Yep. sosdd is your mantra. And now you have elevated your absurd personal attacks to the point that you are making little cartoons to troll me.

What a fucked up little bitch you are.

MYOFBMF

[quote="Howyadoin..."]
nochain wrote:
Howyadoin... wrote:

]

Yep. sosdd is your mantra. And now you have elevated your absurd personal attacks to the point that you are making little cartoons to troll me.

MYOFBMF

LMAO!!!! I figured a picture would make it easier for you to understand what a twisted, demented, little freak you act like on here. Never a kind word. You poor, bitter, confused, tormented child - what's it like to be haunted by your antisocial demons?

VectorMan

VectorMan

Howyadoin... wrote:
VectorMan wrote:

Everything looks skewed to you because you have your head up beck's ass, while criticizing other's for watching opinion driven "news".

I don't watch any of that crap, on any of the networks mentioned, and i sure as hell don't need some talking head to tell me what my opinion is on anything....much less everything like the beck heads or ditto heads.

Well, thank you. Thank you very much, Moron. Are you a card carrying member of the grammar police? LOL

I don't watch or listen to any of your conservative demons. I read a lot and stay in formed. Which is why I don't believe a word that comes out of a liberals mouth. They can lie to themselves and believe it, but not me. Carry on and lean forward comrade.

You really are like a bitter mean little child. Get some help.

[quote="nochain"]
Howyadoin... wrote:
nochain wrote:
Howyadoin... wrote:

]

MYOFBMF

LMAO!!!! I figured a picture would make it easier for you to understand what a twisted, demented, little freak you act like on here. Never a kind word. You poor, bitter, confused, tormented child - what's it like to be haunted by your antisocial demons?

Liar. You ain't laffin' unless your stoned or stupid. There's nothing funny about your pathos and obsession.

Your ignorance about me is only exceeded by your arrogant, condescending, childish trolling aimed at me. You overplay your losing hand, paint with a broad brush, and make bold faced idiotic statements...solidifying your position on the list of dick heads to be avoided.

What's it like to be a complete asshole troll like you...?

VectorMan wrote:
Howyadoin... wrote:
VectorMan wrote:

Well, thank you. Thank you very much, Moron. Are you a card carrying member of the grammar police? LOL

I don't watch or listen to any of your conservative demons. I read a lot and stay in formed. Which is why I don't believe a word that comes out of a liberals mouth. They can lie to themselves and believe it, but not me. Carry on and lean forward comrade.

I don't need any help to see right through you....a self loathing gay man with a constant need to act macho. A narcissist w/ an inferiority complex.

You should go suck no-chain's dick and discuss more trigger words and phrases to pepper your pathetic attacks.

Original ideas go to your head to die.

[quote="Howyadoin..."][quote="nochain"]
Howyadoin... wrote:
nochain wrote:
Howyadoin... wrote:

]

Liar. You ain't laffin' unless your stoned or stupid. There's nothing funny about your pathos and obsession.

Your ignorance about me is only exceeded by your arrogant, condescending, childish trolling aimed at me. You overplay your losing hand, paint with a broad brush, and make bold faced idiotic statements...solidifying your position on the list of dick heads to be avoided.

Don't get insulted, but is your pitiful reason for living devoted to spreading ignorance? If so you are doing a magnificent job W_T_M, Bill, Roddy, ad infinitum. It would appear the mental health clinic you use has been testing far too many drugs on you lately. You might want to have a responsible adult or maybe your court appointed guardian check that out for you - if you can find anybody who cares.....

VectorMan

VectorMan

[quote="Howyadoin..."]
nochain wrote:
Howyadoin... wrote:
nochain wrote:
Howyadoin... wrote:

]

MYOFBMF

Oopsy! It's "you are" or "you're", Moron! Just sayin'....................LOL

VectorMan

VectorMan

Howyadoin... wrote:
VectorMan wrote:
Howyadoin... wrote:
VectorMan wrote:

I don't need any help to see right through you....a self loathing gay man with a constant need to act macho. A narcissist w/ an inferiority complex.

You should go suck no-chain's dick and discuss more trigger words and phrases to pepper your pathetic attacks.

Original ideas go to your head to die.

You've come to this conclusion how, Sherlock?

You don't know me from Adam on here. Although, like I told you before, I've met you face to face and you remain clueless! LOL

Guess what dipshit....you weren't even important enough for me to remember. Just another of Tony's little suck boy sycophants.

Get a clue. Just because you met me don't mean you know a damned thing about me. You read this forum and express yourself with one dimensional monosyllabic drivel that's so hackneyed it begs to be derided.

When you find the balls to post your real name I'll make sure I get to meet you face to face and level the playing field.

VectorMan

VectorMan

howyadoin... wrote:Guess what dipshit....you weren't even important enough for me to remember. Just another of Tony's little suck boy sycophants.

Get a clue. Just because you met me don't mean you know a damned thing about me. You read this forum and express yourself with one dimensional monosyllabic drivel that's so hackneyed it begs to be derided.

When you find the balls to post your real name I'll make sure I get to meet you face to face and level the playing field.

I know enough about you through the local art community. You are not respected, and for good reason. Being the uppity little dick-head that you are. But, continue on with your completely unjustified air of superiority. It suits one such as yourself. Full of hot air, backed up by an unbalanced load of BS.

Level the playing field? LOL Is that some sort of threat? I heard you couldn't even level a 2x4. LOL I think the Home Depot can help you with that. Now go lean somewhere little boy.

VectorMan wrote:
howyadoin... wrote:Guess what dipshit....you weren't even important enough for me to remember. Just another of Tony's little suck boy sycophants.

I know enough about you through the local art community. You are not respected, and for good reason. Being the uppity little dick-head that you are. But, continue on with your completely unjustified air of superiority. It suits one such as yourself. Full of hot air, backed up by an unbalanced load of BS.

Level the playing field? LOL Is that some sort of threat? I heard you couldn't even level a 2x4. LOL I think the Home Depot can help you with that. Now go lean somewhere little boy.

What a crock of BS. My bona fides are what they are, no matter how much you wish to lie. I'm in the upcoming show @ Artel. It's an invitational show, so my piece is in w/out even being judged. If I wasn't respected, that simply would not happen. Were you invited to participate calendar boy...? Nope.

I'm not sure what leveling a 2x4 even means, asshole.

If you're still clinging to that lie you told about me pouring wine for you @ SoSo, the you've never met me. I never poured a single glass of wine at one of tony's opening. I had my own gallery to deal with, remember...?

Face it boi....the only way for you to prove your lies about me is to expose your name for validation, and we both know you're way too much of a coward to do such a thing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum