Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Florida kid kicks 70 yard field goal off of GROUND (no tee)

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/florida-prep-placekicker-drills-field-goal-70-yards-114315928.html

Wow.....and he was kicking into a crosswind as well.

polecat

polecat

not to be so technical but that is how you kick field goals... no tee and off the ground.
Hell of a kicker though.

polecat wrote:not to be so technical but that is how you kick field goals... no tee and off the ground.
Hell of a kicker though.

You beat me to the punch polecat. Tees have not been used to kick field goals in years. Graham Gano nailed 3 field goals of 55 yards or more while still in high school. His FGs were from 57, 64 and 67 yards all in a game environment whereas Semerene's kick was in a practice environment where he didn't have the defense rushing him. I'll wait to pass judgment when he kicks a 70 yarder in a game and not practice. Not to take away from his kicking prowess, he just needs to prove it while under pressure.

Ahem, at the HS level, a one inch tee or block IS used for FGs. Gano was OK, but there have been better kickers from this area and one more clutch that Gano. You have to go back to the Emmitt Smith era at Escambia and a kid named Alan Ward who earned a scholarship to Alabama. Ward probably had more game winning kicks in HS that Gano has in his entire career. The Escambia team that won state in Emmitt's junior year did so on the end of Ward's toe. I think he had three game winning kicks in just that year alone. This was back before the playoff system we have now where the top two from each district went to the playoffs. You either won district (best of Escambia and Santa Rosa counties) or you stayed home. That era of the late 70s to 1990 was dominated by NW Florida at the 3A-4A level with multiple state titles....Woodham, PF, Escambia and Niceville I think won one as well. Now at that level everything is dominated by private school football factories in South Florida.

* Ward gave up his scholarship to attend seminary and become a preacher.

ZVUGKTUBM

ZVUGKTUBM

Yeah, hopefully Will Muschamp will recruit this kid...... Cool

http://www.best-electric-barbecue-grills.com

2seaoat

Kid has a compact and strong stroke. I agree with everything posted in regard to accuracy and pressure, but right now every team in the nation would like him on kickoffs, and some NFL teams would like that distance. Hell if you have a kicker who can clear the field in the NFL, and you can put more assets in your lines and not have to worry about special team kickoff capability if it no longer matters......Gould from the Bears has just been stellar in accuracy, pressure, and distance on kickoffs and combined with Hester has made kicking and special teams enough to elevate a really mediocre team to the playoffs and even a super bowl a few years back. This kid has a very bright future based on how compact and powerful his stroke is now, and he appears to be a pretty good sized kid who still could be growing and getting stronger.

ZVUGKTUBM wrote:Yeah, hopefully Will Muschamp will recruit this kid...... Cool

But as I said he still needs to prove his worth when the defense is rushing at him.

PACEDOG#1 wrote:Ahem, at the HS level, a one inch tee or block IS used for FGs. Gano was OK, but there have been better kickers from this area and one more clutch that Gano. You have to go back to the Emmitt Smith era at Escambia and a kid named Alan Ward who earned a scholarship to Alabama. Ward probably had more game winning kicks in HS that Gano has in his entire career. The Escambia team that won state in Emmitt's junior year did so on the end of Ward's toe. I think he had three game winning kicks in just that year alone. This was back before the playoff system we have now where the top two from each district went to the playoffs. You either won district (best of Escambia and Santa Rosa counties) or you stayed home. That era of the late 70s to 1990 was dominated by NW Florida at the 3A-4A level with multiple state titles....Woodham, PF, Escambia and Niceville I think won one as well. Now at that level everything is dominated by private school football factories in South Florida.

At the kickers discretion!

* Ward gave up his scholarship to attend seminary and become a preacher.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum