Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Belgium Euthanizes Deaf Twins Going Blind

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Why can't we do this here in the USA?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/01/belgium-euthanizes-deaf-twins-going-blind/

It is odd... I can't think of a compelling reason that it should be prohibited in this country.

Coffee?? A bottle of Wild Turkey would be my drink of choice if it was gonna be my last one.. Shocked

Last edited by Lurch on 1/14/2013, 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nekochan

Nekochan

It's very disturbing to me.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Death, in and of itself, is disturbing, Neko.

Still, I watched my Mom die a horrible death after 4 long years of suffering. She eventually asked if we would allow her to die.....we did.

Sometimes, it's kindest.

Yes, disturbing and those who make the final decision will never be totally satisfied that they made the "right" one.

It's not the government's right to decide, but ours.

Nekochan

Nekochan

If they were in agony, with no hope of recovery, I would understand. But going blind? It's just very disturbing to me.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Understood, but is it the government's right to decide or is it more a personal decision?

Nekochan

Nekochan

But where does it end? The article says that the law is about people who are suffering being able to choose to die. These men were blind. They were not in physical pain. What if someone who has a controllable illness and can live a relatively normal life says that they are suffering and they want to die? The article mentions maybe allowing the children of parents with dementia making the decision to euthanize them. This is also disturbing to me. My mother had dementia. I cannot imagine making that decision for her.

I get your idea and thinking that government should not decide. Part of me agrees with that. Actually I agree about 90% with that. But should government encourage this sort of thing for people who are blind? Or children who have parents with dementia? It just seems to cheapen life, to me.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Nekochan wrote:But where does it end? The article says that the law is about people who are suffering being able to choose to die. These men were blind. They were not in physical pain. What if someone who has a controllable illness and can live a relatively normal life says that they are suffering and they want to die? The article mentions maybe allowing the children of parents with dementia making the decision to euthanize them. This is also disturbing to me. My mother had dementia. I cannot imagine making that decision for her.

I get your idea and thinking that government should not decide. Part of me agrees with that. Actually I agree about 90% with that. But should government encourage this sort of thing for people who are blind? Or children who have parents with dementia? It just seems to cheapen life, to me.

Neither the government nor the media should play a part in any of it, to my way of thinking.

It's personal, entirely personal.

We would be better off not reading the media hype and totally revolt against any government intrusion.

Been there, as you have. We seem to cite our own personal accounts...which to me only intensifies the fact that it is...........personal.

gulfbeachbandit

gulfbeachbandit

Can we euthanize sal and wtm?
It would save me from giving them a truck load of negative votes.

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Hey Neko,

Like Paige's new Mardi Gras outfit?

Just picked up the hat today.......ain't she one glamorous girlie? Very Happy

Nekochan

Nekochan

stormwatch89 wrote:
Nekochan wrote:But where does it end? The article says that the law is about people who are suffering being able to choose to die. These men were blind. They were not in physical pain. What if someone who has a controllable illness and can live a relatively normal life says that they are suffering and they want to die? The article mentions maybe allowing the children of parents with dementia making the decision to euthanize them. This is also disturbing to me. My mother had dementia. I cannot imagine making that decision for her.

Neither the government nor the media should play a part in any of it, to my way of thinking.

It's personal, entirely personal.

We would be better off not reading the media hype and totally revolt against any government intrusion.

Been there, as you have. We seem to cite our own personal accounts...which to me only intensifies the fact that it is...........personal.

Yes, I agree it's a very personal issue.

Nekochan

Nekochan

stormwatch89 wrote:Hey Neko,

Like a Star @ heaven Love it! Like a Star @ heaven

And she looks so thrilled to be wearing it! Laughing

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Nekochan wrote:
stormwatch89 wrote:Hey Neko,

Like a Star @ heaven Love it! Like a Star @ heaven

And she looks so thrilled to be wearing it! Laughing

She's a girlie girl, whereas Mom tends more towards tomboy. Very Happy

I think people should be able to choose how they live and die. It's not someone else's decision to determine the quality of my life and how I should live it.

Nekochan

Nekochan

If someone really wants to kill themselves, most people can find a way without the government's help. But I see a big difference between someone who is terminally ill and suffering than someone who just decides that they are unhappy with the way their life is going.

I just don't see that the government should be involved in helping with the killing because someone is going blind or because the kids have decided for their mom or dad that their life isn't worth living any longer.

Markle

Markle

PkrBum wrote:It is odd... I can't think of a compelling reason that it should be prohibited in this country.

Oregon health plan covers assisted suicide, not drugs, for cancer patient

Eugene, Ore., Jun 6, 2008 / 01:09 am (CNA).- An Oregon woman suffering from lung cancer was notified by the state-run Oregon Health Plan that their policy would not cover her life-extending cancer drug, telling her the health plan would cover doctor-assisted suicide instead.

Barbara Wagener discovered her lung cancer had recurred last month, the Register-Guard said. Her oncologist prescribed a drug called Tarceva, which could slow the cancer growth and extend her life.

The Oregon Health Plan notified Wagner that it would not cover the drug, but it would cover palliative care, which it said included assisted suicide.

“Treatment of advanced cancer that is meant to prolong life, or change the course of this disease, is not a covered benefit of the Oregon Health Plan,” said the letter Wagner received from LIPA, the Eugene company that administers the Oregon Health Plan in Lane County.

Read more:

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/oregon_health_plan_covers_assisted_suicide_not_drugs_for_cancer_patient/

stormwatch89

stormwatch89

Nekochan wrote:If someone really wants to kill themselves, most people can find a way without the government's help. But I see a big difference between someone who is terminally ill and suffering than someone who just decides that they are unhappy with the way their life is going.

I just don't see that the government should be involved in helping with the killing because someone is going blind or because the kids have decided for their mom or dad that their life isn't worth living any longer.

No, the government should not "assist". Agreed.

I guess my point of view is that the government should not be, in any way, involved.

Hospital Bob

Hospital Bob

Markle wrote:
PkrBum wrote:It is odd... I can't think of a compelling reason that it should be prohibited in this country.

Oregon health plan covers assisted suicide, not drugs, for cancer patient

Eugene, Ore., Jun 6, 2008 / 01:09 am (CNA).- An Oregon woman suffering from lung cancer was notified by the state-run Oregon Health Plan that their policy would not cover her life-extending cancer drug, telling her the health plan would cover doctor-assisted suicide instead.

Barbara Wagener discovered her lung cancer had recurred last month, the Register-Guard said. Her oncologist prescribed a drug called Tarceva, which could slow the cancer growth and extend her life.

The Oregon Health Plan notified Wagner that it would not cover the drug, but it would cover palliative care, which it said included assisted suicide.

“Treatment of advanced cancer that is meant to prolong life, or change the course of this disease, is not a covered benefit of the Oregon Health Plan,” said the letter Wagner received from LIPA, the Eugene company that administers the Oregon Health Plan in Lane County.

Read more:

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/oregon_health_plan_covers_assisted_suicide_not_drugs_for_cancer_patient/

It's one of, if not the, most difficult of all the dilemmas we face. You can see the value in prolonging life vs bringing on death. But you can also try to appreciate the suffering that can cause. And if you really care about human beings it's hardly ever an easy choice to make. No laws do it justice.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Belgium has socialized medicine...so the government is involved.

I don't want to see anyone suffer. I understand someone who is terminal and suffering wanting to end their life. I am very sympathetic to that. But I am also very concerned about things like this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1285423/Half-Belgiums-euthanasia-nurses-admit-killing-consent.html

Dreamsglore wrote:
I think people should be able to choose how they live and die. It's not someone else's decision to determine the quality of my life and how I should live it.

Belgium Euthanizes Deaf Twins Going Blind Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9o2ZkQmuVSIkv_mhxUPGehMhHOjLQ5hPO0EQnOApFsd5eJcNyvg

And yet your own insistence that the government be involved in health care ensures just that.

If people are free to choose then they shouldn't have to be coerced by your all powerful government to purchase health care either.

This last part is the choice of a person who is free to choose.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhat-xUQ6dw

Smile

Nekochan wrote:If someone really wants to kill themselves, most people can find a way without the government's help. But I see a big difference between someone who is terminally ill and suffering than someone who just decides that they are unhappy with the way their life is going.

Belgium Euthanizes Deaf Twins Going Blind Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwG0hpgFuuk99OdHOTCckqHIeDX2Z9KklxNrwphtVqa0pIV6BaeA

My father put the responsibility of determining if it was time in my hands. His wish was not to be connected to a machine for the rest of his life.

Fortunately I never had to exercise that decision. He went to bed one evening and never woke up.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3hmgkPYUuk

Smile

My will reads the same way.

Nekochan

Nekochan

Damaged Eagle wrote:

Belgium Euthanizes Deaf Twins Going Blind Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwG0hpgFuuk99OdHOTCckqHIeDX2Z9KklxNrwphtVqa0pIV6BaeA

My father put the responsibility of determining if it was time in my hands. His wish was not to be connected to a machine for the rest of his life.

Fortunately I never had to exercise that decision. He went to bed one evening and never woke up.

*****SMILE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3hmgkPYUuk

Smile

My will reads the same way.

This kind of advanced planning helps take the burden off of loved ones when they are faced with a difficult decision. And it ensures that your wishes are followed through on if you ever are in the situation that such a decision needs to be made.

But I think that making the decision to not have your mom or dad be hooked up on life support is a totally different thing than making the choice to take their life because they have dementia.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum