Pensacola Discussion Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a forum based out of Pensacola Florida.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell first Published in 2000 . The REAL reason Mitt Romney Lost

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Markle

Markle

"The Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell first Published in 2000

It is an excellent book. He wrote another one called "Blink" which is also excellent.

In my opinion "The Tipping Point" describes perfectly the point we have reached in the development and decline of the United States.

In the 2008 and 2012 Presidential Election, President Barack Hussein Obama would have lost had it not been for the households earning LESS than $50,000 per year.

That's the 47-49% who pay no income taxes. It doesn't matter WHY they don't pay income taxes, they don't. And, they don't want that to change and will eagerly vote to protect their gimmies.

“The tipping point is that magic moment when an idea, trend, or social behavior crosses a threshold, tips, and spreads like wildfire.”
― Malcolm Gladwell, The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference

The "idea" is that without effort, now someone can vote themselves more benefits to be paid for endlessly (seemingly) by someone else. Absolving themselves of any personal responsibility.

###

“There are exceptional people out there who are capable of starting epidemics. All you have to do is find them.”
― Malcolm Gladwell, The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference

Adolph Hitler, Barack Hussein Obama, Joseph Stalin, Mao tse Tung.

###
“There is a simple way to package information that, under the right circumstances, can make it irresistible. All you have to do is find it.”

ObamaCare, class warfare and racism

###

“Economists often talk about the 80/20 Principle, which is the idea that in any situation roughly 80 percent of the “work” will be done by 20 percent of the participants. In most societies, 20 percent of criminals commit 80 percent of crimes. Twenty percent of motorists cause 80 percent of all accidents. Twenty percent of beer drinkers drink 80 percent of all beer. When it comes to epidemics, though, this disproportionality becomes even more extreme: a tiny percentage of people do the majority of the work.”

Interestingly, Progressives make up 20% of voters.

http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/2124255-the-tipping-point-how-little-things-can-make-a-big-difference

Obviously Conservatives, although they out number Progressives 2 - 1, have not been nearly as organized as the Progressives.

Progressives care only about themselves and their comrades or those they consider inferior. They care no about what citizens are to do in the future.

Sal

Sal

Amazing.

Your party just got shellacked in no small part because your standard-bearer labeled nearly half of the American electorate as moochers.

Don't let the fact that nine-tenths of entitlement benefits go to the disabled, elderly, and working poor get in your way.

Keep denigrating Americans and giving tax breaks to the overseas job creators.

It's an excellent plan ...

... for obsolescence.

Please proceed, governor.

Twisted Evil

Oh Howard....you are such a whining little ninny. You AND your messiah Beck are a festering boil on the body politic of this still great Nation.

Are you wearing a pair of his 160 dollar jeans while you spew the propaganda placed in that empty trailer park on which you rest your glenn beck is god ball cap....?

I think you and your ilk should move out of the country and form your own tiny nation/state that would be dependent on the USA to provide protection or you would be slaughtered by those you despise.

Having to depend on the good will of President Obama's foreign policy....would that not be the ultimate irony...?

half of the american eletorate ARE moochers.

Sal

Sal

Wildgirlfromthewoods wrote:half of the american eletorate ARE moochers.

DIVIDE, HATE, AND OBFUSCATE
VOTE REPUKE 2016

2seaoat

Apparently the tipping point is having an IQ above 100 where a person can discern the difference between the truth and a lie.....and apparently enough voters in America were simply not stupid enough to buy what you and my really messed up party has been selling lately.

So how does one tip this thing back and call themselves a Republican. You might start by actually believing that all men are created equal, and that it is not necessary to give special privilege to the wealthy and the ruling oligarchy in America. You might start by inviting some folks who have different shades of skin, different ethnicity, religion, and culture under the tent of traditional Republican concepts. You might start by recognizing that trickle down has been an absolute and utter failure, and has contributed to the very lynch pin of the book ......Tipping point......and finally you might start to honor the concept of less government when talking about a Woman's vagina.....you will be amazed at easy it will be to tip the other way.

Oh I almost forgot....you might try to fix this idea that corporations are people.......

boards of FL

boards of FL

Yes. Mitt didn't lose because the republican party has been taken over by complete nut-jobs. It's not as if Mitt had to come off as some sort of severely conservative, bat-shit crazy politician in order to appease the right during the primary season and then appear as a complete liar by moving to the center for the general election so that he would be more palatable to well adjusted folk. It had nothing to due with the fact that sweeping tax cuts coupled with ramped up military spending are not an effective way to address the budget deficits.

There is no way it had anything to do with that. Mitt lost because half the country is morally inferior and just wants free stuff!

Dig up, stupid! Dig up!

2seaoat wrote:Apparently the tipping point is having an IQ above 100 where a person can discern the difference between the truth and a lie.....and apparently enough voters in America were simply not stupid enough to buy what you and my really messed up party has been selling lately.

So how does one tip this thing back and call themselves a Republican. You might start by actually believing that all men are created equal, and that it is not necessary to give special privilege to the wealthy and the ruling oligarchy in America. You might start by inviting some folks who have different shades of skin, different ethnicity, religion, and culture under the tent of traditional Republican concepts. You might start by recognizing that trickle down has been an absolute and utter failure, and has contributed to the very lynch pin of the book ......Tipping point......and finally you might start to honor the concept of less government when talking about a Woman's vagina.....you will be amazed at easy it will be to tip the other way.

Oh I almost forgot....you might try to fix this idea that corporations are people.......

I do not understand you seaoat. The points you have made are good points and are the reasons republicans do not appeal to voters in mass yet you constantly talk of old school republicans and old school republican ideals, fiscal conservative values and balanced budgets the republican core values. That old school republican mentality is lost on the masses, those old school values you cherish are the same values that have alienated republicans.

Floridatexan

Floridatexan

It also wasn't entirely the party platform or the fact that R's managed to insult just about everybody, it was the candidate himself. "Corporations are people, my friend." Really? "I like to fire people." No doubt. The idea that he could consider himself a "job creator" when he was personally responsible for destroying the livelihoods of thousands of citizens while amassing a $100-million IRA and a fortune based in part on breaks from the government he so disparaged...and couldn't release his tax returns...it's ludicrous.

And, yes, Bob, I'm mad at you, too, although I'm not going to cuss you like a dog. What in the world were you thinking?

2seaoat

I do not understand you seaoat. The points you have made are good points and are the reasons republicans do not appeal to voters in mass yet you constantly talk of old school republicans and old school republican ideals, fiscal conservative values and balanced budgets the republican core values. That old school republican mentality is lost on the masses, those old school values you cherish are the same values that have alienated republicans.

Thank you for a very good question which is civil and goes to the core issue facing America today. I lived in Mexico in 1974 for about 5 months studying in an intensive language school where I lived with a poor family. I observed every day every member of that family going out and working in the most menial and hard jobs making barely enough money to support their family. I went from 210 llbs down to 170 eating the daily meals with this family as I was literally fading away and starving. Toward the end of my stay I had to supplement my eating in restaurants because I was becoming Ill. I saw their strong religious beliefs and the importance of the family.

Today the Republican Party paints this same family living in the United States as the enemy....as something to fear, yet to the last one of them they understood the principles of the Republican Party, and honestly would have supported Republican candidates before they would support a Democrat. Poor people are not trying to steal something from someone else....if you have never lived in poverty, you cannot understand the dignity of people and the desire of all people to simply find happiness.

After Ivan I was shocked how lazy Americans had become, and when folks with brown skin and a spanish accent were doing all the hard and dirty work locally....there was an uproar over in Santa Rosa County...about these people. Well, so many folks have been raised in an environment which passes this prejudice and faulty logic to the next generation where we believe that people of color are looking for a handout, that the poor do not want to work and find no dignity in the same....and that politicians only need to appeal to the masses with a little more bread....a little more circus....and they will be voted in. Well the Dixiecrat new Republicans proved that their concepts are worn out and incapable of support in America today. It is time to recognize the dignity of all Americans and work for real solutions which bring jobs back to America......and yes I am a white, older, financially comfortable, educated Republican who want fiscal conservatism to be the party mantle again and dump all these stupid divisive side issues and focus on balanced budgets.

2seaoat wrote:
Thank you for a very good question which is civil and goes to the core issue facing America today. I lived in Mexico in 1974 for about 5 months studying in an intensive language school where I lived with a poor family. I observed every day every member of that family going out and working in the most menial and hard jobs making barely enough money to support their family. I went from 210 llbs down to 170 eating the daily meals with this family as I was literally fading away and starving. Toward the end of my stay I had to supplement my eating in restaurants because I was becoming Ill. I saw their strong religious beliefs and the importance of the family.

Today the Republican Party paints this same family living in the United States as the enemy....as something to fear, yet to the last one of them they understood the principles of the Republican Party, and honestly would have supported Republican candidates before they would support a Democrat. Poor people are not trying to steal something from someone else....if you have never lived in poverty, you cannot understand the dignity of people and the desire of all people to simply find happiness.

After Ivan I was shocked how lazy Americans had become, and when folks with brown skin and a spanish accent were doing all the hard and dirty work locally....there was an uproar over in Santa Rosa County...about these people. Well, so many folks have been raised in an environment which passes this prejudice and faulty logic to the next generation where we believe that people of color are looking for a handout, that the poor do not want to work and find no dignity in the same....and that politicians only need to appeal to the masses with a little more bread....a little more circus....and they will be voted in. Well the Dixiecrat new Republicans proved that their concepts are worn out and incapable of support in America today. It is time to recognize the dignity of all Americans and work for real solutions which bring jobs back to America......and yes I am a white, older, financially comfortable, educated Republican who want fiscal conservatism to be the party mantle again and dump all these stupid divisive side issues and focus on balanced budgets.

The USA has the richest poor people in the world. The poor family you spoke of in mexico is not the same as a poor family in the USA, thats like comparing living in a tent (Mexico) to living in a sheiks palace (USA). I know many people here in America living off of the system, most have only a high school diploma. They make more money not working than they do working, so what is the incentive to work? How can republicans ever appeal to those types of voters? They can't and that voter block is growing. The relative I mentioned in an earlier post takes more vacations in a year than I have taken in a lifetime. So I guess the question really is, Why should I keep working when I can choose to live like her?

Fiscal conservatism alone will not win elections, even if republicans had a staunch fiscal conservative running against Obama in 2012 they would have lost, in fact I think the margin of victory for Obama would have been a lot more. The old school republican mentality you project will not embrace changes that are more in tune with our society. Like I said as more of our citizens rely on the government whether it is individuals, businesses, corporations, industries, wall street, what ever more and more people will vote the candidate that wants to keep the money flowing. A fiscal conservative can not overcome that on fiscal conservative principles alone.

alecto wrote:
2seaoat wrote:

The USA has the richest poor people in the world. The poor family you spoke of in mexico is not the same as a poor family in the USA, thats like comparing living in a tent (Mexico) to living in a sheiks palace (USA). I know many people here in America living off of the system, most have only a high school diploma. They make more money not working than they do working, so what is the incentive to work? How can republicans ever appeal to those types of voters? They can't and that voter block is growing. The relative I mentioned in an earlier post takes more vacations in a year than I have taken in a lifetime. So I guess the question really is, Why should I keep working when I can choose to live like her?

Fiscal conservatism alone will not win elections, even if republicans had a staunch fiscal conservative running against Obama in 2012 they would have lost, in fact I think the margin of victory for Obama would have been a lot more. The old school republican mentality you project will not embrace changes that are more in tune with our society. Like I said as more of our citizens rely on the government whether it is individuals, businesses, corporations, industries, wall street, what ever more and more people will vote the candidate that wants to keep the money flowing. A fiscal conservative can not overcome that on fiscal conservative principles alone.

Alecto:

I'd like to see what kind of evidence you have that people are making more money living off the system than working? These are the kinds of statements that are rampant in your party but are never backed up.

Dreamsglore wrote:[
Alecto:

I'd like to see what kind of evidence you have that people are making more money living off the system than working? These are the kinds of statements that are rampant in your party but are never backed up.

Dreams I could offer up all kinds of evidence from websites, studies, to personal associations living off of the system but you would only dismiss it as right wing propaganda so honestly whats the point. If i remember correctly you are a social worker, if that is true do you not see a problem with our current system? Do you not see people committing fraud with the system?

Markle

Markle

2seaoat wrote:Apparently the tipping point is having an IQ above 100 where a person can discern the difference between the truth and a lie.....and apparently enough voters in America were simply not stupid enough to buy what you and my really messed up party has been selling lately.

As you know...all men are created equal, however NONE OF US are guaranteed EQUAL RESULTS.

Markle

Markle

Floridatexan wrote:It also wasn't entirely the party platform or the fact that R's managed to insult just about everybody, it was the candidate himself. "Corporations are people, my friend." Really? "I like to fire people." No doubt. The idea that he could consider himself a "job creator" when he was personally responsible for destroying the livelihoods of thousands of citizens while amassing a $100-million IRA and a fortune based in part on breaks from the government he so disparaged...and couldn't release his tax returns...it's ludicrous.

And, yes, Bob, I'm mad at you, too, although I'm not going to cuss you like a dog. What in the world were you thinking?

In the eyes of the law, corporations are people and have been for over 100 years.

I too like to fire people. If I hire someone to do a job for me and they are performing poorly, I fire them. I'll refer them to you next time.

No one, anywhere, in well over eight years have been able to find anything he has done illegal yet you and the others whine.

As for a jobs, how many have President Obama cost this nation?

As you know, former Governor Mitt Romney and Bain Capital were successful in turning 80% of the companies in dire financial straits they bought. Those companies sought out Bain for help. Gov. Romney also left Bain in 1999 in order to rescue the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City Utah.

How many companies did President Barack Hussein Obama CLOSE just in the auto industry? Over a thousand of privately owned car dealerships along with all their employees. Hummer, Pontiac, Saturn. Who owns Chrysler so how is that an American car company?

For a list of CLOSED dealerships. (Over 100 in Florida alone)
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/gm-dealerships-closing.html#FL

As for Bain, are all these jobs overseas? When you order a Domino’s Pizza, does it come by Federal Express from China?

The firm was founded in 1984 by partners from the consulting firm Bain & Company. Since inception it has invested in or acquired hundreds of companies including such notable companies as AMC Entertainment, Aspen Education Group, Brookstone, Burger King, Burlington Coat Factory, Clear Channel Communications, Domino's Pizza, Double Click, Dunkin' Donuts, D&M Holdings, Guitar Center, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA), Sealy, The Sports Authority, Staples, Toys "R" Us, Warner Music Group and The Weather Channel.

Markle

Markle

salinsky wrote:Amazing.

Your party just got shellacked in no small part because your standard-bearer labeled nearly half of the American electorate as moochers.

Don't let the fact that nine-tenths of entitlement benefits go to the disabled, elderly, and working poor get in your way.

Keep denigrating Americans and giving tax breaks to the overseas job creators.

It's an excellent plan ...

... for obsolescence.

Please proceed, governor.

Twisted Evil

PLEASE show us a reliable source for that statement. Working poor? No, that's where we have FREE CELL PHONES being given away. We have more people and a higher rate of people in poverty, living on food stamps and scores of other things than ever in out history.

It is NOT a matter of whether or not we should do these things but we have been ADVERTISING to put more people on the government dole.

The FACT IS we cannot afford, like Greece, Italy, Spain, Portugal to give more and more benefits to people who are being more and more encouraged to produce less and less and demand more and more.

Why do you think there are riots and murders in the streets in Greece? Some of those entitlements are being taken away, the country doesn't have the money and the PEOPLE DO NOT CARE.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum